You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Person At The Other End Of The Room

Real Ghost Stories

The Person At The Other End Of The Room

 

About ten years ago my parents, my two older sisters, and I moved into this house. I had to admit that I liked the look and layout of it and the corner lot it occupied was charming but I never liked one particular upstairs bedroom. It was the one at the back of the house, the only one on its side of the hallway.

When my sisters and I were picking which room we wanted, there was an argument over who would take this room. No one liked it. It wasn't because the paint had peeled off of the walls or that the windows didn't seal and invited a chilling breeze to sweep up your spine. It was because of the eerie feeling you got when you walked inside. To end the dispute I finally suggested that I take the room and my sisters gladly agreed.

At about 4:00 every night I would wake up in absolute terror for no reason that I could imagine. I felt like someone was standing at the foot of my bed staring at me. I couldn't move for minutes on end. And when I finally felt brave enough, I bolted for the door, ran downstairs and turned on every light I could find. It would take an hour for my heart to stop beating against my ribs. Eventually I would go back to my room and slowly fall back to sleep.

One day everyone else was gone and I was left alone in the house. I forget what I was doing to occupy myself but whatever it was wasn't alleviating my boredom. I started to explore. When I walked past the open door of my room I thought I saw it move just barely. It didn't make a sound. I immediately stopped and watched, waiting to see if it would move again. A few seconds later it slammed shut so hard that I could hear the windows in the house shake and a burst of wind blew my hair back. I ran downstairs and paced the dining room floor until the rest of the family came home. I told them what had happened but they assumed it was the wind coming through an open window. I don't personally agree with this theory. I was there and the wind outside wasn't near strong enough to do anything like that.

Another day many months later I was sitting at my desk and I started to hear footsteps above my head. They were distinct heavy footsteps pacing above my head. I stood up and followed them with my own. Back and forth they went across the width of the room. They lasted about thirty seconds and then stopped. There's nothing up there but a crawl space. Not even an attic.

My parents had started to fix up the old house and were looking at the back of an upstairs hall closet at some water damage when my dad noticed a patch of wood nailed to the corner. He was immediately curious and pried the wood away from the wall. Its absence revealed a hole behind which was a space between the back wall of the closet and the outside wall of the house. He found a flashlight and shined it inside. When he did, he began to make out shapes. He reached his hand in and began pulling out various dusty, damp, items that were quickly identified. All very old. A blanket, a shoe, and something wrapped in white cloth. The cloth was wrapped tight. It looked like a baby. We all panicked and thought we had stumbled upon a young corpse. We hadn't. It was an old, well preserved doll. How the items got there we don't know. It seemed that someone had put them there. But who and why?

My parents have since seen, heard and felt other things that I don't wish to try to repeat. We still live here, although I am very anxious to leave.

It's getting to be around 4:00 now and I better get situated. I want to be read

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Minnesota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, hauntee, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

hauntee (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-27)
Thanks everybody for the comments and I'm sorry I haven't replied or written anything new for a while. Alot has been going on.
I was in the basement recently looking through piles of boxes when I found a 3x6 space in the floor underneath the stairs that was not concrete. It was just loose dirt. It made me wonder if someone might have buried something there. I'm too afraid to look. It's the perfect size for a body. And there's no plumbing or anything of that sort under the ground in that particular spot.
I stopped investigating a few months ago because of numerous deadends in my research of the house. As soon as I did all the violent activity ceased. Now I'm convinced that the entity or entities, whoever they are, don't want me to know something.
Also, my mom has been painting the interior rooms for the last few weeks and since she has started windows have opened and shut by themselves and there have been unexplained knocking noises and footsteps upstairs.
I haven't been sleeping in my room and I've been having very vivid and organized nightmares that have no relation to anything going on in my life.
cloudstrife (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-22)
it sounds like a poltergeist to me. The door slamming and the hangers shaking sound like warnings especially the door slamming it sounds like the entity or entitys if more don't want you there don't freak out though or it will get worse and as for communication id contact a psychic or priest if I were you. But you will be ok 😳
hauntee (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-21)
Thank you. I'll try to be careful. And I'll write about anything else that happens.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-19)
I wouldn't try any immediate communication and I use this term because, in a sense, I think cleansing is a form of communication-that is, they know you sense them. If I HAD to try any type of contact I would be asking for help and be very very apprehensive so, I agree with you. Now, the hangers shaking... Maybe they are attempting communication maybe it is just their being there, their energy and nothing more that interferes with any objects. In any case, please be careful and observe closely!
hauntee (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-19)
Thank you again rhodes68. I'm a little apprehensive now though. I'm just trying to decide if I should do anything at all. I don't want stir anybody up. I had planned once to use dowsing rods to try to communicate. I had some metal hangers in my closet so I went to get them. They were all hanging together on the closet wall. After I took two down though the remaining three swayed violently side to side. I thought maybe it was a warning so I left.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-18)
Hauntee, from your description of the events it sounds very much like intelligent haunting... They are aware you are there and, I might add, a little disturbed by your presence in "their" household. A family with that type of history as the one you mention must have always been withdrawn and suspicious of strangers and to them, you all are.

I will be looking forward to reading any more occurences if any although I hope things do not get worse. Have you considered clensing the place? There are suggestions on the site in the article section. That might protect you from any negative energy and at the same time create some sort of balance and draw a borderline between your world and theirs.
hauntee (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-16)
Thank you rhodes68. I think they believe the house is haunted now.
Well, my mom has seen my bedroom door close too. Also, while she was doing laundry, a pile of clothes were turned upside down. My dad has heard an old lady in the basement say hello and has felt something push down on the bed at night.
I did find out who owned the house before us. The previous owners sold drugs here before we moved in. Before that a couple raised a family here. The father died though when he was only 45 years old. I don't know the details of his death.
The room where the things were found wasn't really a room. It was more like a hiding place. I never thought of finding the blueprint. Thank you for suggesting it.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-12)
Very well written story! I was wondering what your parents think of the occurrences now? Do they still blame the wind or the moisture?

I'm really curious as to the experiences they had themselves but I understand if you don't wish to speak about them.

I haven't read the previous comments so forgive me if I ask something you've already answered... Have you found out who lived in the house before you? Is the room you found the shoe and the doll in a room that a person could have lived in like an old bedroom or is it like a hiding place? I think if you could find the original blueprint of the house you might be able to have a better picture of what the house looked like.
hauntee (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-10)
Yes, a shame. I have no idea where he died or how he died. That got me thinking though. The man we bought it from didn't tell my dad any of those details. I think he thought that if we knew that he had died in the house, we might not buy it. It was very cheap too for a house in basically good condition.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-09)
such as shame about the renters. Clearly not having any respect for older homes. I'm currently dealing with my new home (a 20's bungalow in the city) where the previous owners just treated it like...crap

Anyway: the 45yr old man that passed away did he die in the home? Perhaps his spirit is there if he worked side by side with his wife
hauntee (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-08)
hobbyholly, congratulations. Thank you for the link. I just found out a lot of information about the house from my dad. It was built in 1920. A couple helped build it and lived in it for a while. Then another couple bought it and raised a family in it. The husband died however when he was only 45 years old. I don't know any details about that. After this a gentleman owned it and rented it out. One renter made, sold, and smoked drugs in the house. Soon after they were "evicted" the house was boarded up. A year later my parents bought it.
Panda06 (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-08)
it must be the Indians... Burial grounds, binding spirits into dolls etc...
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-07)
Sorry I'm late on comments, I was kind of busy... Getting married.

Anyway: you asked how to go about researching the home. I have found this link to be helpful.

Http://www.wikihow.com/Research-the-History-of-Your-House

Also, what is the age of this home?
BriFischer05 (14 stories) (169 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-07)
Sounds like some type of ritual took place. Those items were put there for a reason and intentionally boarded in. Certainly very odd. Do you know the history of the house or age? Maybe you should ask the neighbors about it.
amacniel (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-06)
It definatly sounds like a haunting to me. It is very important that you trust your instincts. If you feel that this spirit is a man than it most likely is. Have you felt any child-like entity around your home or room? You didn't mention it in your origional story, that's why I ask. Another thing to remember is that you can control your space. If your spirit is making you uncomfortable you can tell it to leave for a time or command it to leave permanently. Treat it like a troublesome child, they get on your nerves, but if you already know they are there then their antics shouldn't bring you fear. When I was a teen, I had a spirit that I could feel around me most of the time, I had seen him once, and so when I wanted to get dressed or felt like being alone, I would simply ask him to leave and most of the time I could immediatly feel his precense vanish. So if you don't want to get rid of the spirit, then just treat him like you would treat any living thing that spends time around you.
hauntee (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-06)
I never thought of that. But now that I think of it, that makes perfect sense. That might mean that there are two ghosts. The child and the abuser. What's a common ghost? And what's white herb?
sunshyneforever (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-06)
😕 be careful in what you do with trying to figure out what it is. It sound like child abuse and sometimes those spirits left behind are not so pleasant. On the bright side, its sounds like a common ghost and not an entity. SO rest easy with that. But try not to make it angry. If it gets physical, well that's another story. Try asking it what it wants and why it is there, if you are determined to know more about it. But be safe. White herb is the best
reneespring (148 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-06)
That crawlspace sounds like a place where a child was kept... Sounds kind of abusive.
hauntee (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-06)
Thanks for the comments. Tirada, thanks for the advice, but I don't think I want it to go away until I learn more about it. Do you by chance know how to find out the history of a house? I think it just wants my attention. It's just getting it in a violent way.
Paranormal_believer94, thanks for the comment. That does not sound odd at all. I kind of like when it happens. I don't feel that way while it's actually happening. But afterwards it's exciting. I have no idea who it may be, although I think it is a man. That's all I know.
Tirada (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-06)
hmmmm... The items are probably linked to whatever is residing in the room... I suggest you do not burn them, rather, place them in a box, say a prayer over it, use holy water, and ask whatever entity is attached to them to please leave. Whatever you think you need to do. Has it tried to actually hurt you? Or is it just trying to get your attention?
paranomal_believer94 (3 stories) (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-06)
Some freaky story you have there, this might sound odd but I'd kill to witness any paranormal activity of that sort! Do you know who the presence that maybe stalking you is? 😕

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: