You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Knocking At The Door At My New Home

Real Ghost Stories

Knocking At The Door At My New Home

 

I recently bought my first home, and live by myself. A little over three weeks ago, right after moving in, I had a friend spend the night to help with unpacking, etc. She was staying in the guest suite, which is on the opposite end of the house from where I was sleeping. It was Saturday morning, sometime before the sun came up, when she came down the hall calling my name frantically and telling me that someone was at the door.

We made the rounds to all the doors, turned on all the outside lights, and there was no one there. Because I hadn't heard anything from where I was sleeping, I asked her what had happened. She said she was awakened by a knocking sound, followed by voices talking. Once she was awake, she heard another set of knocks and thought someone was at the door, so she came and woke me up.

I forgot about that episode, probably because it wasn't actually ME who heard the knocking, and put it out of my mind. I didn't spend the past two Friday nights at my place because I had to work in a nearby town on Saturday morning and stayed with a friend. This past Saturday morning, I was awakened by my dog growling. It was kind of a low growl, and she didn't move from the bed, but it was loud enough to wake me.

The dogs started to rustle in the bed, and then I heard what I thought was someone knocking at the door. It wasn't loud, and the dogs went crazy at that point barking, so I stayed in bed and picked up my cell phone to see what time it was. At this point there is another set of knocks, very loud and insistent -- the kind of knock that happens when you are desperately trying to get someone to answer the door.

The dogs usually run to whichever door someone is knocking and proceed to bark there, but they didn't do that this time. I thought the knocks came from the back door, so I went there first. There was no one there. I went around the house, turning on outside lights and checking -- no one there. I live off the road a bit on some acreage that is completely gated on all sides. If someone was "lost" or there was a car, I would have seen it leaving.

It wasn't until the next day that I started to really think about things, and remembered what happened when my friend spent the night three weeks ago. I started to consider that maybe there was something more going on. I have tried to make sense of it in various ways and cannot. If I was hearing things, then why did my dogs hear it too? And why did my friend hear it too? Both times on a Saturday morning right before dawn.

I have never had anything like this happen to me. I have lived in a variety of places over the years, and never anything weird like this. I definitely don't feel like I have any kind of special sense for the paranormal, although I do believe that ghosts exist. Does anyone have any thoughts? I am freaked out enough to have signed up on this website and posted.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, silvervette, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-22)
I am so glad you have dogs!

I agree with Pjod.

Please, if you do some research, post a followup thread. This goes into my favorites!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-10-29)
getta 45,
You may want to write your own story for YGS.

God Bless!
getta45 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-29)
I just saw your post. I found your post becaused I was interested in what it means when there is a knock at the door but no one there. I have never posted before. Two mornings ago while getting ready for work and letting my dogs back into the house, I closed the door and walked away when I heard one loud knock, I looked outside and didn't see anything, I did not open the door because the night before at approx. 2am I heard a large scuffle by the back door and the sound was coming from in my house, I went in my room and asked my boyfriend what he was moving, he was laying on the bed watching t.v and said he thought I made that noise, we searched the house and the attic finding nothing.
We were ready to go to bed when I heard one knock on the door, I looked and didn't see anything, I did open the door and nothing was there. The next morning at about 7am after hearing one loud knock, I looked out immediately since I was only 2 feet away and saw nothing. I did not open the door.
In May on three occasions there was a fast large bright flash of light in my house, there was no reflection off anything, I blew it off, then 3 days later it happened again, upsetting my dogs, then once more approx. One week later while my friend stopped over and we let the dogs outside at 11pm there was a quick bright large flash of white light just over my deck, the exact same one that happened in my house, my dogs where looking at it and they would not move. I looked around and it was only on my deck and over the door where I stood. This time my friend saw it. I am one that always tries to find a logic reason and not one of paranormal activity, these incidents I can't explain. Just wondering what someone thinks and what does it mean? The knocks and the flashes?
Annoyed12 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-24)
Similar story. I moved into this house less than a year ago. I've been woken up about a 1/2 dozen times by "knocking". This seems to occur between 1am and 5am? It seems to me that the first few times were closer to the same time. I remember wondering the first time if it was just a dream. But it then happened several more times on different nights. I haven't tracked which days and specific times because I'm not sure I really want to know. Last night, I was woken up by the same "knocking". Although there was someone else with me, she said that she didn't hear anything when I woke her up. I want to say that it's always 2 knocks, sort of slow but loud. After I wake up, it goes away. I'm always 1/2 asleep so I'm not sure if it's me or something else. I've checked around the house and never find anything. Lately, I don't turn on any lights but still come up empty. It's not an old house and I pulled history on the house from the local police department (North Carolina). There were no medicals or violent crimes. I don't hear any voices and I don't believe it's kids because it happens on week nights. Scary stuff.
ThreePipeProblems (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-14)
I had the same thing just a couple of minutes ago. I tried to watch a trailer, but everytime I'd try to watch it this knocking sounds would be made at the other side of my door. After three times being interrupted, I kindly asked whatever it was to stop it, and it actually stopped 😲 I don't know what is was, but it had to be a form of intelligent energy. Maybe you can try to ask it too.
krill123 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-09-30)
This hapenned to me... But it hapenned in my kitchen on my cupboard door and then 2 weeks later under my feet from the basement. Each time was 6 "knuckle" knocks. Very loud and spaced evenly.
My girlfriend then saw a towel levitate in the bathroom. I know... Hard to believe but she is very serious about it. Anyways... Let us know if anything else happens.
Sar-osity (3 stories) (20 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-28)
Just ignore it, you don't want to let something in. Since it happens at the same time every Saturday, do you think it could be residual? If it's residual their is nothing to worry about.

-Sar-osity. ❤
23_Chantelle_23 (84 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-09)
I agree with the comment below me and Pjod's comment that makes the most sense.
Maybe do some research on the property
😊
angelcosmodragon (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-15)
i think spokie is wrong to ignore it because what if someone really is over there?
Well what I think is that a ghost died there and must want somebody help and knock at the door and no one was there and she/he's still trying to find help ❤
Temilicious (7 stories) (99 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-14)
in our culture we are taught the same thing too. That is to never open the door when there is knocking because some entities need to be invited in first. Don't know how true that is about the invite but if there is no one by the door, don't answer.
Also never to look back when you walking out at night, never reply when someone calls out your name.
Like I said, don't know how true it is but rather safe than sorry right.
What my great gran used to do it sprinkle salt under the doorway mat and make crosses with olive oil on all the doorways and windows of the house whilst saying the Lord's prayer. Helps keep unwanted knockers away. Good luck.
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-14)
you might want to make a little research about your house or the land where it was built... Have a good day...
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-13)
I would have to agree with what Jennifer40 has mentioned I have heard that the knocking sound also could mean that they are trying to manifest, but it could also be a residual haunting either way I don't feel it means you any harm. And as previous posters have mentioned it is probably a wise move not to answer to the knockings.

Thank you for sharing!

Dan
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-13)
A girlfriend of mine has had similar experiences. It always starts off with a knock and then she'll hear men whispering. I read somewhere on this site that the knocking sound might actually be the sound a spirit makes when it is manifesting. I'm not 100% sure of that theory of course but thought it made sense.

Jennifer ❤
katikat (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-12)
Well my thought is that you shouldn't answer which I'm glad you didn't because my mom had this happen to her one time she answered it and it was always around three but nobody was there so she told my grandpa who was a medecine man he told her not answer he said if you do your letting something in so she never did after awhile it stopped. Thanks for sharing the story! 😁
SunStar (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-12)
well, it could be a certain ghost... I can't remember what theyre called, but they are stuck in a certain object, like a door. They cannot leave that object, so they arent like a regular ghost that can go where ever. 😕
SmartBoy6198 (15 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-12)
try to ignore it and just prey also if your doog is barking at aa certain place do not go there
silvervette (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-12)
I don't think I will be able to ignore it if it happens again... 😨
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-12)
well, it could be a residual type haunt.
Occuring around the same time/day. Like a tape that rewinds and plays itself over and over. My guess would be that something tragic may have happened on or around your property. So much so that it left an imprint, if you will. Could be as simple as a car accident nearby, where someone came to that house, banging on the doors for help.
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-12)
I hope you didn't open the door. It's best not to open the door if something like this happens, and if it does happen again, try to ignore it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: