You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Thing In My Bedroom 2

Real Ghost Stories

The Thing In My Bedroom 2

 

I posted a story on here a few days ago about an experience, one of many that I and others have had in the house I grew up in. I'd like to share another of those experiences and hopefully someone out there who knows more about the paranormal than I do and can shed a bit of light on what may be going on there. This particular incident happened to my cousin after I moved out. I've had some pretty scary stuff happen to me there but I'm just thankful I didn't experience this one personally.

First a bit of background. As I explained in my previous story, my parents bought this house when I was quite young and it was in pretty bad shape. My dad had to do a lot of renovating just to make it livable. Prior to their purchasing it, an older lady had lived there and had been forced to sell it as she could no longer afford the upkeep and it was too big for her to stay in by herself. She was quite happy to sign it over to them and move into a senior community.

At one point in time, the house had been divided up into apartments. There had been one apartment upstairs and two downstairs. Eventually, someone along the way had decided to turn it back into a single family home. Unfortunately, they hadn't done a very good job. There were still dividing walls that had simply had doorways cut into them that had to be completely torn down and doorways to the outside located in strange places. One of these doorways, which would later be morphed into a window by my dad during his fix-up project, happened to be in my bedroom.

By the time I had left home at 18 to join the military, my parents had divorced which left my mom living in the house alone. Also around that time, my cousin and his wife filed for divorce and he really didn't have anywhere else to go so my mom told him he was welcome to come stay with her until he found somewhere else to live since she now had an extra room due to my leaving. He said he wouldn't mind staying in a "girlie" room and took her up on the offer.

I'd just like to say that I've never really spoken to anyone except my parents and my best friend about the things I experienced in the house because I didn't want anyone to think that I was crazy. My parents seemed to think that it was just me getting myself worked up over nothing since I had always had a vivid imagination and they never experienced anything themselves (my mom began to have some unexplained things happen to her after I left... I may talk more about those things in another story). My best friend did believe me because she had spent the night with me on a few occasions and witnessed some things herself. So, there was no way my cousin could have known the things that happened in that part of the house because no one ever talked about it.

He had only been at my mom's a couple weeks when he had his sighting. I have a small nightstand that sits in front of the window next to the bed. This is the same window that had at one time been a door. This window also factors into my previous story so I think that it may be significant. On the nightstand is a small reading lamp. He was lying in bed with the lamp on reading a book when he says he felt a cold gust of air and was immediately covered in goosebumps. It is unusual for my bedroom to be cold since it is so close to the utility room where the furnace is.

He put his book down and looked to the left toward the window in time to see a dark shape move through the window and the nightstand. This shape came to stand at the side of the bed where he was laying. He said he was completely paralyzed with a feeling of dread. The longer this thing stood there, he said it came to look like a man standing over him wearing something like a hooded sweatshirt. The shape had been completely black and he hadn't been able to make out any of its features, just the shape of the man and his clothes.

He said this thing stood there for a good couple minutes during which he hadn't been able to move. Then, it seemed to suddenly lose interest in him and "dart" from the room in a blur, through the closed bedroom door and out into the kitchen. Once the thing was gone, he had been able to move again. He immediately jumped up off the bed and ran out of the bedroom to find my mom. He woke her up and told her what he had seen. She then told him all of the things I had told her that had happened to me in there. He, in turn, called me to validate what he had seen and assure him that he wasn't losing his mind. Needless to say, he found another place to live really quickly.

It may also be significant to mention that all this activity seems to take place either in the back half of the house or upstairs. My bedroom actually used to be the living room to one of the apartments, hence the weird door where my window is now. The front half of the house by comparison is relatively peaceful. I can't tell you how many nights I opted out of sleeping in my room and instead chose to sleep on the couch in the living room. Its almost like there's an invisible line you cross when walking through the dining room into the back part of the house, you can sort of feel the change in the air if that makes any sense. My mom is actually considering selling it and getting an apartment as she's beginning to feel kind of uneasy staying there alone.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions as to what we could be dealing with, I would certainly be open to hearing them.

Other hauntings by Sway

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Sway, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

musicgrrl104 (28 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-14)
I think you need to do some more research on the property. The land, the house. If someone died there, they are probably just trying to make contact. It seems like the spirit hasn't done anything that is a threat to you, so I don't think it's angry.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-14)
Wow, thank you for sharing your story! That definitely would have scared the daylights out of me. It might not be a bad idea to try and research a little more on the land, the house, etc. If it becomes too much of a problem, I would suggest first asking (politely) out loud if anything that might be residing in your home could please leave, or otherwise not make their presence known to your family.

If that doesn't work, there are other measures to be taken. My first recommendation is always to try and show respect to your visitors, however unwelcome they may be, because it is likely that they were there first. Sometimes the spirits of the departed are confused by the presence of a new family, and that is often the reason they are active.

I hope this helps!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: