You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Moving Glass

Real Ghost Stories

Moving Glass

 

I am 15, and a few months ago something happened to me that emotionally affected me deeply.

I just finished drinking a glass of water, and was playing a game on my computer when the empty water glass started to move across the desk. I sat there staring at it with a heavy feeling in my chest. It pushed a pen out of the way before stopping at the edge of the desk. It moved about 6 or 7 inches. My first thought was maybe I am seeing things, I thought I was crazy, but the condensation left a clear path.

After that, I couldn't stop thinking about it. I felt strange, but not scared. In fact I wanted it to happen again, but it didn't. The overwhelming emotions eventually brought me to tears. For days it was all I could think about, I still think about. I am a man of science, I need things to make sense and to be explained in a scientific way, (therefore making me a huge skeptic of paranormal activity) but what happened to me cannot be explained in a scientific way, which is probably why I am so troubled. I have not told anyone except my mom, and she seems to believe me.

I don't know what to think, feel, or do.

I would appreciate feedback on what happened to me since I am still very confused.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Joe132, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

FART-EXTERMINATOR (24 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-07-07)
I believe there to be a plausible scientific explanation behind your glass of water sliding across the table: I have noticed that if a drinking glass is wet at it's base and is placed on a smooth surface the drinking glass does tend to slide, especially if the surface upon which the glass is placed has even a small puddle of water.
halo1 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-12)
I had a similar experience when I was also 15. I was up very late on the computer chatting away on AIM when this stack of discs next to the monitor suddenly shot up a foot in the air and came back down. It was as if someone had pounded their fist on the desk very hard and the discs flew up. I immediately turned the computer off and went upstairs to my room. It was a very strange experience.
seesthings626 (31 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-17)
somthing like that also happened to me too, it was kind of creepy but I wasn't scared.
My pen moved across the table when I was doing homework. 😆
I also thought I was seeing things but no there wasw a blue felt tip pen mark across the table. 😐
lillylove8988 (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-17)
I have had that happen before. Its was really scary and cool at the same time. I told my mom and she said it was wiki which are playful demons just messing with you no need to be scared.
CJ (4 stories) (43 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-21)
Hey Joe! Figured I would jump in with my two cents, even though it pretty much mirrors the opinions of a good majority of the people who have commented so far.

I, too, have witnessed this same sort of thing happen on multiple occasions, and yes, the first time I witnessed it, it had my heart racing. It was definitely a moment of "What the HECK?!" and I did experience a feeling of heaviness come over me, sort of like a wave of unease. And considering this happened at my work where I have had experiences of paranormal/supernatural origin, that was a big deal. But then I started to analyze the situation and look for possible explanations that were quite simple.

You said in your response to one of the comments that you hadn't touched the glass for at least five minutes, the desk was level, and the glass pushed a pen out of the way. This is all very plausible and I am not saying this didn't happen. However, given the time spent from the point you set the glass down to the point it started moving, I believe it very simply to be a product of condensation building on the bottom of the glass where it comes in contact with the surface of the desk. Honestly, it does not take but a bit of moisture to make it move, especially on an already slick surface such as the glass your desk was made out of. And it is also very possible for the glass to move a pen out of the way. Does that factor classify it a paranormal experience? Absolutely not. Does that factor NOT classify it a paranormal experience? Absolutely not. There really is no telling.

I am not trying to persuade you from what you may already believe. However, I am trying to provide you with a simplistic alternative explanation from the paranormal. I don't believe you have anything to worry about. And if it means that much to you, there's no harm in keeping an eye out for anything else that's unusual.

Thanks for sharing your story with us! 😊
courtneyOMGG (12 stories) (179 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-21)
Something like this has happened to me before, but built up condensation was making the glass slide across the table.
I too thought it was something scary until I realised what it was.
Just offering another view on the matter 😊
Thanks for sharing your story

C
paranormaltaskforce (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-20)
what you need to do is try to coax the soirit into communicating
mEow_stOry (11 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-20)
sOmething liKe that hapened also to me...,
But its maybe because of the moisture under the glass...,
(sorry 4 d' wrong grammar)
But if you have a heavy feeling wyl watching it...,
Then maybe something/ someone is moving the glass
fatthead (1 stories) (55 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-20)
Well my friend this exact thing happened to me when I was a kid and it was at school during lunch. We had all had just finished eatting lunch as I was the last one to leave I went back and set my cup on the lunch table even though we usually had milk cartons but it was a glass anyway I sat it down and went to walk away looked back for some reason and it slid about a foot in a half across the table. I forgot all about it until I read your story it was neat becuzz it made me have a flash back I never told anyone about that. But the bottom the cup could have bin wet and those lunch tables lifted up in the middle so it might of not been level
Joe132 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-20)
Thanks for the posts... Its a glass desk, and I can tell you with great certainty it didn't move because of hydroplaneing (I did some research). I didn't come in contact with the glass for at least 5 minute before it moved, and as I said, it moved a pen out of the way. The desk is also level.

If this event was paranormal, someone has sujested that 'someone' (or thing) didn't want me drinking at the computer, or wanted me to take my glass down to the dishwasher.

I still don't know what explanation to except... But I do thank you people for your time, and your input.:)

P.S. I am more of a believer in the paranormal, and I will let you know if anything else happens.

😊
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-20)
Thanks Pjod 😊 I was thinking the desk was made of wood also. If it is then perhaps the type of polish used to clean it can be the culprit. Exactly, uneven desk or flooring are also very good explanations.

Joe, I hope we have been able to help you, and that you feel better about what happened. ❤
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-20)
good call cosmo, makes a lot of sense, and I can say I have seen something similiar, but on surfaces other than wood. I assumed the surface in question was wood, for some reason. (Old school thinking for a desk)
But these days, a desk could come in any type of finish---glass and plastic would make a slick surface, indeed.
Joe,
I would take a marble, put it on the same desk, and see if it rolls the same direction your glass moved. That itself would prove that for some reason, the desk is not sitting on even flooring. Could be the floor, desk itself. Heck, I've lived in old homes where a ball would just roll on it's own, showing that the house itself is tilted.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-20)
Hi Joe, I'm going to offer you a scientific explanation for how that glass moved. You said the glass left a trail of condensation as it moved. When a glass sweats and water gets underneath it will cause the glass to slide. I have seen this happen many times. As long as there isn't anything else happening that you can not explain, then you don't have anything to worry about. Thanks for posting your story. 😊 😉
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-20)
I don't think you necessarily have to believe in anything religious to believe in the spiritual world. I am personally not religious, but I have come to accept that things happen which cannot necessarily be explained by science. I was watching a show on TV the other day that documented the story behind "A Haunting in Georgia" about a family whose daughter could see and describe in detail people whom she had never met and could not have possibly had physical contact with as they had passed before she was even born. I'm not sure if anyone in your family may have died recently, or someone who is close to you (which could explain the feeling of sadness and disappointment) or if it was simply an "imprint" of someone else's emotions you were feeling... But it seems that someone just wanted you to notice them. Your reaction to this is really up to whether or not you feel ready to accept these things. You can deny it happened, or at best ignore it, or you can choose to acknowledge it if you feel strong enough.

I hope this helps!
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-20)
hey, sometimes God throws us a bone. Being a man of science, you needed some type of sign to show you that there are things beyond our understanding, and maybe it is time for you to start researching the unexplained.
Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-20)
Have you recently lost someone close to you? Did you cry because of an overwhelming sad feeling or because of your nerves? The reason I ask these questions is because it can help shed some light on what the nature of this occurrence is. Well, being rather scientific, I suppose you now believe in the paranormal? It's okay, it happens that way, but don't be frightened. Just pay attention to what is happening and maybe say a little prayer for any recently deceased. If anything else happens, let us know right away!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: