You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: My Ghosties Like Christmas

Real Ghost Stories

My Ghosties Like Christmas

 

This story has its beginning in 2008, shortly after a visit to Ohio in May of that year. There was a lot of activity at my house during the summer and fall, some of which I have posted. The following is an account of happenings after that. I tend to get very home-sick during the Holidays, so my husband does everything within his power to alleviate the "Holiday Blues" that I suffer. We decorate the whole house.

That year, we needed a new tree, as the one we had started to shed its needles. It was a fake tree, so you know it was old. We got a cheap little thing from Walmart. I mean, this thing is ugly. The needles are shiny plastic and it looks so fake! But, we were running short of cash, and that was all we could afford, for the time being. Every year that we were in this house, I would find broken ornaments under the tree. The tree was in the only carpeted room in the house. We kept a gate across the door so the dogs couldn't get in the room. Also, we had hanging above the entrance to the kitchen a wire sculpture. It looked like a forest in winter. The hall upstairs only had a railing, so you could see the doors to the bedrooms. We would put a string of lights and some small ornaments on the sculpture, and plug it to my sons' bedroom. Again, every year, there would be at least one broken ornament lying on the floor by the kitchen. Numerous times, I would wake up and go downstairs to find the big tree lit, knowing full well that I had turned it off before going to bed.

My husband likes garage sales, and he had purchased an almost life sized singing Santa with a motion detector. He sings probably 8 or 10 songs. We never left him plugged in long enough to find out, as he liked to start singing on his own. That Christmas, while we were cleaning up after opening presents, I asked, "What about the ghosties? Did any one get the ghosties a present?" No sooner had those words left my mouth when Crash! Lying on the floor under the sculpture was a broken ornament. We were all in the living room at the time, as we had just finished opening our gifts.

Unfortunately, like so many others in this great country, we lost our house to foreclosure, and in January began the unpleasant task of finding a new home to rent. We found a really nice place in the same area and began moving in February. We had a lot of storage space in our old home, and if we had realized how much stuff we had accumulated over those 10 years, we would have started packing a lot sooner! I mentioned in my previous story the fascination that the garage door held for my friends. Throughout the month, as we were taking things from the house the door closed several times on its own. The final day we were there, it closed 3 times. My son JR said that our friends didn't want us to leave. So I said to the air, "You guys can come with us if you want to!" I did my final walk-through, and said good-bye to my home. I repeated those words in every room.

We were in our new house a few weeks, and my husband decided to have a garage sale of his own. I wasn't sure if my friends had followed, as I hadn't seen or heard anything out of the ordinary. I had just come home from work that day and seated myself by my step-daughter at the rear of the garage, and was engaged in small talk. Situated under the garage door were my husband's keyboards (the musical kind) and a gentleman and his son were considering them. My husband walked away to search for the adapters and all of a sudden, the garage door started coming down, right over the man and his son! My husband ran over and pushed the little boy out of way, and got the door back up. He apologized and said he didn't know why THAT happened. Well, I knew why, and I sat there giggling. No one else could find the humor. One other note: he had the Santa for sale, however no one bought him.

Throughout the rest of the year there were only a few small happenings. The washer became unplugged. The light that we leave on for the dogs in the family room was turned off one evening, though I was sure I had turned it on. I remember the white spots in my eyes because I had looked down into the shade to see if it was lit. It also had become unplugged after I had let the puppies outside and gone to the laundry-room for my work clothes and few other less spectacular things.

My "Holiday Blues" seem to worsen every year and this last was no exception. When we put up the tree that we got the previous year, we discovered that it was way too small for this house so decided to put it in the family room by the fireplace and get yet another for the living-room. I was worried about my puppies getting into it, as the family room is their domain. They are Jack Russell terriers, and if you don't know anything about them, they eat everything! They are not allowed any where else in the house. My husband placed it on the hearth. He decorated the mantle with garland, our stockings, etc. He then strung lights along it. It really was pretty. He had to plug in it behind the television, and I protested the inconvenience, so he put an extension cord with a remote on it so that all we had to do was push the button, and like magic, the whole thing lit up.

The day we put the trees up, I cleaned the living room really well. The floor in the living-room is that phony hard wood stuff. I clean it by damp mopping. I had just finished mopping and leaned the mop against the wall at the bottom of the stairs. My son Brandon, my husband and I went upstairs to allow the floor to dry, and play on our computers a bit. We were in a conversation when we heard a thump, and good old Santa started singing! I thought the noise sounded like a dog bark, but my son and husband said it sounded like the mop falling. We were discussing this all through Santa's song, and had come to the conclusion that he has a sound sensor also, when he started a new song! I started laughing, and Brandon had this look of disbelief on his face. When the song ended he went to the foot of the steps and started clapping his hands and yelling "HEY SANTA! WAKE UP!" and stomped his feet a few times nothing. He crossed his arms in the "humph" style and stood there staring, fully perplexed, at Santa for at least a good 5 seconds. Suddenly, Santa turned toward my son and started singing, "Well the weather outside is frightful"! He threw his hands in the air and ran back upstairs. I laughed until I cried! My husband, a "non-believer" (yea, right!) went down and unplugged him. He's such a party-pooper.

Again, almost every morning when I woke up, both trees would be lit. I do not go to bed without turning them off, with the exception of Christmas Eve. My boys pay the electric bill, which makes them very conscious about leaving lights on, etc. So I know they would not be so careless. The tree in the living-room was plugged into an outlet that had to be switched on by light switch on the wall near the front door. On one of the rare occasions that I woke up and they were off, I was sitting at the little table in the kitchen having my coffee. I wake very early it was about 2:45 am. Brandon had just come home and we were talking about things at work. (We work in the same store) Our house now is a split level, and you can look down into the family room from the kitchen. I asked him something, and glanced into the other room and POP the tree lit up. I looked at Brandon, and again, that perplexed look was on his face. I said, "Good morning ghosties and Merry Christmas!" We looked for the remote, and found it on top of the water cooler, under two baseball caps. And yes, the water cooler does vibrate slightly when it's plugged in. We had unplugged it that morning to defrost it as the water level was low and it freezes up. My husband says that the trees were lit by someone else's garage door opener, or radio transmissions from airplanes. They must be really strong waves to be able to flip a light switch!

While we were trimming the tree in the living-room, I placed a couple of small hand-crocheted stockings on it and told my ghosties that they were for them, and asked them to please not break any ornaments this year. They didn't!

Other hauntings by zzsgranny

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, zzsgranny, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-12-24)
I loved the story granny. Your little ghosties must like their oraments.
I want to wish you,miracles,val,Rook,Fergie,Tweed,Biblio,Hecate and the rest of the Y.G.S. Family a Happy Holiday and a bright and prosperous New Year.

With all the love and happiness this Season brings.
Red
rynne (69 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-12-24)
Happy Holidays, granny, rook, valkricry, miracles, and all in the YSG community. Warmest wishes ❤
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-24)
Granny, I and all the extended Fergies join in wishing you and yours, plus all members of YGS, a wonderful festive season. May the love, hope and cheer last much longer than just this season.

Good to know you still have some 'quirky' happenings at your home, Granny.

Warm wishes,
Fergie. ❤
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-23)
HAPPY CHRISTMAS and a Very MERRY NEW YEAR to all. May the coming year be full of good cheer.

From my Family to all the YGS Members.

Respectfully,

Rook
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-23)
Merry Christmas, Granny! I think maybe your ghosties are trying to cheer you up. Does Santa ever sing when unplugged? Just curious on that.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2015-12-23)
granny - Merry Christmas to you, yours and your ghosties too! 😆 ❤
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
8 years ago (2015-12-23)
I'd like to wish everyone in the YGS community a very Merry Christmas, or whatever your particular celebrations are at this time of year.

My tree still pops on/off by itself and Santa (yes, we STILL have Santa lol!) is still singing whenever he wants to 😆. We actually unplugged him this year because he just wouldn't shut up hahaha.

So, yeah. Merry Christmas, and may all enjoy a happy and comfortable New Year!
dark_wolf96 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-13)
Hi zzsgranny! I have read a few of your stories and they are awesome! So well written!

I like how you call them "your little ghosties" as if they are your children. Lol. I don't think I'd be able to do it. You know, live with ghosts and all. 😆 I applaud you!

With respect,

Dark_wolf96 ❤ ❤
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-06-20)
Oteer: This past Christmas, I was fortunate enough to be able to go home, a little before the holiday... It really boosted my mood to see my family at that time of the year 😁...I can't make that trip every year though, so we'll see if my ghosties come to my rescue again this coming Christmas 😆

Thank you for reading and commenting!
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-20)
Im just starting to read the frequent posters stories, I'm so glad I ran across yours when I needed it most. Am looking forward to reading the rest. So sweet you left some stockings for your friends. Maybe next year you can get them their own little tree to light up, when they pleased! Lol less power drain!

Thanks again! ❤
PestilentPixie (4 stories) (52 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-02-04)
This is a beautiful story, I love the fact that you gave your "ghosties" something to make them feel like they are part of your family. That's heartwarming. Thanks for sharing it makes me feel less odd about giving the little girl the blanket. 😊
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-05)
Liliel: I think they just want to enjoy the season!...Guess we could all learn a thing or two, huh? 😆...I think the little stocking ornaments satisfied them for a while, they didn't break any of the others for the first time in years! 😆

Thanks for reading, and for your comment!
Liliel (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-27)
What an uplifting story 😆
And your ghosties sound like such sweethearts. Though I have to wonder, what kind of present would fit a ghost?
XDHunterXD (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-10)
Heh. I'm at school right now and I just posted my new story. I'm waiting for it to be published. It should be published in a few.
Yours Truly,
Hunter
Haunted_cleaner (7 stories) (23 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-09)
That was a great story! I think your ghostie friends are really trying to help alleviate your Christmas blues.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
14 years ago (2010-02-07)
hunter: Thanks for reading and for your comment...Can't wait to read your story... Maybe when I get rich and move to Ireland I can buy a haunted pub, bring my ghosties with me, and call it "Granny's Ghosties"!...better than a carnaval! 😆 😆 ❤
XDHunterXD (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-05)
You've got some friendly ghosties there! Also loyal! The only thing that's close to an friendly ghostie is my shade person. He is my guardian angel from what I've read. I'll be posting an story on monday about my angel though. You should try taking your ghosties to the carnavil:)
Yours Truly,
Hunter
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-02-05)
esther: Thank-you for your comment and for reading! Hopefully I will be posting more soon...
esther91 (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-05)
I just wanted to say thank you for all your wonderful stories. They are all incredibly interesting and unique! I can't wait for more.

❤ Esther
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-01-30)
Hi DARKNESS!: Thank- you for reading my story, and saying that you enjoy my comments, as some of them are kind of dumb! 😆...My ghosties some how know when I need a lift of the spirit so to speak...

Koalagirl: I had one of the best Christmases ever, thank-you! 😊...And thank you for reading!

CJ:.LOL!...JACK RUSSELL TERRORIERS!... But the funny thing about them is, they're SO smart they're stupid!...I'm lucky (?) to be blessed with TWO of them... We got them as puppies, one for us and one for my step-daughter but she couldn't last through the first two days!...They're like kids, in that you don't know what you did with your time before you got them... Love them both though!...Thank you for your kind words, and for reading!

Aussiedaz: Laughter is the best medicine!...The Santa doesn't rock but he swings his arms and moves his hips and head... And it is kind of creepy when he looks at you! 😆...I'll have to google the number three, now, and see just what the connection is but there definately is one!...My son Brandon has this thing for movies and stars, he can tell you anyone's name and what movies they've done! Even the old timers! It's cool!

Thanks again to everyone for reading!
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-29)
granny, I have to agree with the others your story has cured my headache and I intend to jump of this site while I'm in front, is that santa clause the one that rocks from side to side? What is it about the number three and the paranormal? My sons name is brandon big fan of 90102... Down here we'd call you a little aussie battler, good story mate.
Take care
CJ (4 stories) (43 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-28)
Thank you so much for sharing this story, zzsgranny. It was a very enjoyable read and well written. I enjoyed the humor you had weaved throughout and I also wanted to say that I can relate to being the owner of a Jack Russell Terrier... Though sometimes I think it should be referred to as terror instead of terrier. LoL. But yes, my little JRT will eat anything and everything that crosses her path and she isn't even full blooded JRT. Thanks again for sharing! This will be going into my favorites! 😆
koalagirl (3 stories) (111 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-28)
hi I enjoyed your story zzsgranny, glad that the ghosties are you friends hope you had a great christmas.di
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-28)
Hi zzsgranny I really enjoy reading your stories and comments and this one is no exception. I found it quite hilarious how you can laugh laugh off the experiences and live with your ghosties in peace.

Thank you again for sharing.

Dan
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
14 years ago (2010-01-28)
Thank you all for reading!
Moonshadow: glad I could help brighten your day...there's never a dull moment here, even without the ghosties!...And by the way, that's one of my all time favorite songs!

Cosmogal: Thanks for your kind words!...They have become part of the family... And I think they did enjoy the stockings... The stockings will be on my tree from now on 😆

Wardo: Thanks for putting me in your favorites!...I think if everyone tried to understand that there's more to fear from the living than the dead, there may be more stories like mine 😆

Thanks to all again!
Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-28)
Granny! I should have known that was one of your stories! I guess I'm with the others when I can say that this made my day a little brighter! So rarely do we read a story that helps to convict our theories of the other side in such a cheerful manner! Going on my favorites! ❤
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-28)
Another great story granny, and thanks for posting! I think you have a great personality and an awesome outlook concering spirits and how you just accept them as part of your family so to speak. I'm sure they appreciated the stockings you made for them. 😊 Take care ❤
moonshadow (3 stories) (146 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-28)
great story again granny your stories allways cheer me up and I was feeling a bit down this morning you really add a great fun side to all the ghostie happenings id love to be out in Nevada at your house id say there's never a dull moment you certinley love a good laugh even the ghosts seem to enjoy it. Any really enjoyed that story looking forward to reading more take care and may the light of the great spirit shine upon you and your family... 😁 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: