You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Our Early Morning Nuisance

Real Ghost Stories

Our Early Morning Nuisance

 

My boyfriend and I moved into a duplex together just over a year ago. I don't ever recall feeling uneasy or having any strange occurrences occur while we had roommates, all of whom moved out in December 2009 after we got engaged. We kind of wanted the place to ourselves after that.

At first, I thought I was just having nightmares or something that were making me feel uneasy as I would wake up very suddenly around 3:00 a.m. Every time I would wake up, however, I felt (and still feel) very watched from the corner of our bedroom by the door. I never feel uneasy during the day or while my fiancé is awake at night. My fiancé has to either not be home or asleep and sure enough, the feeling of something watching me overwhelms me in our room at night.

A couple nights into feeling watched and not sleeping well something happened that actually scared my fiancé. He said I was just dead asleep and couldn't be woken up, but he had heard one of our two giant great danes growling (granted, they do tend to growl if someone walks past on the sidewalk, but they are always looking out the window at the person). She was growling at the wall just outside our bedroom door. He said she was just sitting there staring straight at the wall, growling! He left a little light on and went back to bed, telling me about this incident in the morning.

Just a few nights ago, on January 24th I believe, I was suddenly awoken again and was trying to convince myself that I did not have to go to the bathroom as bad as I thought I did. I had this horrible feeling of just utter terror and feeling of being watched again. As I laid there trying to fall back asleep I kept hearing a knocking noise that kept me awake for nearly an hour. It was a soft, rhythmic knocking. It would knock a couple of times, then go away, then happen again. Although I live in a duplex, this was definitely not something coming from my adjoined neighbors; the knocking seemed to occur on/in different walls of the house.

Last night, January 26, was the night that I became truly convinced something else lives here with us. I had gone to bed early and left the door open because I don't like to go to bed alone since all of this has been happening. I put in earplugs before I went to sleep because my fiancé was in the next room watching TV. Then, suddenly around midnight I think, the stereo in our living room turned on by itself! It started blaring a Stevie Nicks song that was so loud that it seemed overwhelming even with my earplugs in! The reason I'm so freaked out by this is because this particular stereo always resets itself to the low volume level and to CD mode when you turn it on from being off.

It seems as if the events in our house are progressing to more and more noticeable things. I'm concerned that this could get out of hand. I don't mind sharing our space with a friendly spirit, but I don't consider waking me up in the middle of the night with extremely loud Stevie Nicks' songs to be friendly!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, brlvg5, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

WikkedOne (3 stories) (15 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-13)
Wow, that's enough to get me on edge. I would do what the people above say, talk to the neighbors. Neighbors always know a little about the house they live next to. They might give you valuable information. Maybe they are just starting to get comfortable and letting you know that they are there... I would def set boundaries. And if things get worst, get some Sage strictly for cleansing and cleanse your house. That normally helps.
rafa19 (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-29)
The disturbing part is that you are usually awake at 3 a.m which is the witching hour or dead time. I would suggest a house cleaning with sage and holy water. Good luck and Good Bless.
brlvg5 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-29)
Almost forgot... I took everyone's advice and asked the spirit to please stop scaring me with its nightly activity. Last night was completely quiet and we slept with all the lights off, so maybe the spirit is a courteous one and listened to my plea:) Thank you for the advice!

I'm also trying to find information about the property that our neighborhood sits on. I'm having some trouble finding any records. Does anyone have some good websites or reference book suggestions for me to start looking for that information in?
brlvg5 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-29)
To answer everyone's questions regarding my fiance. He heard the knocking noise in the walls at the same time I did, and he hasn't been sleeping well lately. He said he tends to wake up for no apparent reason more frequently but that isn't necessarily due to a presence in our home. Maybe it's just because we're getting married soon;)

As far as actually seeing anything, I have not seen a full blown figure but have seen a shadow move quickly out of the corner of my eye. I know this could be shadows of anything, but seeing a shadow that is darker than the darkness of your room at night is hard to explain away in my mind.

I spoke to the landlord and the neighbors... Neither has experienced or heard about any odd occurrences in our duplex.

Other than growling at the wall in the night that one time, the only other strange thing I see the dogs do from time to time is act like they are watching something move along the ceiling. That could just be puppy ADD I suppose. (I try to rationalize everything until it's just too odd to be rational.)

I brought this up with my mother and she reminded me of an interesting fact. When I was in high school and still living with my parents I used to let our little bichon frise sleep in my bed. I eventually had to quit allowing him to sleep in my room with me because he would always bark or whine at the corner of my room by the door. This is the corner of my current bedroom in a different house that I feel watched from. Is it possible that something is attached to me and has followed me from an old house? Maybe it's a relative that is keeping an eye on me?

In addition, I have not had a priest bless our house, but I'm definitely considering calling one. I haven't ever been one for organized religion because I feel like the whole time I've ever been in an organized church service all they do is ask for my money, however, I do believe in God (or Allah or Yahweh or whatever you would like to call the higher power that I consider to be one in the same) and pray when I feel the need to.
Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-29)
Well there is too little data to confirm or suspect anything evil or good, demonic or human. I would suspect that there is definitely something going on in your house, but I agree with the notions that it is seeking attention of some sort. It is probably difficult for spirits to physically manifest if they are not very powerful. The types of manifestations that you have described seem to occur when the spirit may have a little bit more power, such as 3 a.m., known as the witching hour or the devil's playtime. Don't be frightened by the names of the hour, it just means the time when spiritual activity is most concentrated or noticed. Try praying for any spirits and asking it to go away nicely. If you need more help, let me know and I can try to give you some more ideas. Also, have you had your home blessed by a priest? You might want to try that for a start! One more note, thank you so much for spelling occurrences properly! What strange pet peeves I have! (boo at occurances)

God bless you and your family and I hope you find the help you are seeking.
CJ (4 stories) (43 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-29)
Speaking to your neighbors (since it is a duplex) may be helpful. Not only will you be able to find out if they've had any experiences of their own, but they may know some history of the place (depending on how long they have lived there). Talking to your landlord might also be an option. It all just depends on how comfortable you are with the different avenues you can take.

A couple things I'm curious about... As jennifer314 asked, has your fianc
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-28)
I would try find out some history on your house and previous owners if possible, it might shed some light on to what your experiencing. Other then that as previous posters have mentioned try telling this spirit to move on or to not scare you. Good luck.

Thanks for sharing

Dan
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-01-28)
Have you talked to your neighbors?...I think it's just some one trying to get your attention, and for you to acknowledge it... Tell it the same thing you told us, that you don't mind sharing, but they have to stop scaring! 😆 I feel so clever... 😆
jennifer314 (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-28)
Sounds very strange. Does your fiance notice any of this besides for the one night? Or is it always just you? I would try telling the spirit that it is scaring you and hopefully it will quiet down. Good luck.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: