You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Camp Wheelgate

Real Ghost Stories

Camp Wheelgate

 

When I was a pre-teen, I was a girl scout. As all Girl Scout troops do, we attended a weekend outing at a place called "Camp Wheelgate," in WV. Camp Wheelgate was not technically a camp, as it did not have tents, or cabins. It consisted of three "Victorian Style" farmhouses. Our group was staying in the largest of the three. For the first night, our group stayed in a downstairs room because our leaders had not been able to get a fire started in the upstairs fireplace. On our second day there, we took a walk to a small church in the area. It was a very old church, with a graveyard. As teens and pre-teens often do, some of the group was less than respectful of the church and graveyard. I recall that some of us rang the bell in the old church, and some of the group "played" on the graves, and at the altar area of the church.

That night, the leaders were able to get a fire started in the upstairs fireplace. We moved our belongings upstairs, and settled in to play games and have a fun night. A couple of the scouts said that they had experienced a "white mist" on the stairway and felt as though they were having a lot of difficulty walking up the stairs. Others, myself included, were certain that they had seen a face, looking out of an upstairs window, when they had been outside. Fairly early in the evening, I became suddenly overcome with a headache and nausea, which had never happed before. I decided to lie down to see if it would subside. Shortly afterward, we were all stunned by the loudest "BANG" sound we had ever heard. The scout leaders looked all over the house, trying to locate the source of the sound. The only thing that was found during the leaders' search of the house was that ten heavy, iron cots, which had been in another room, were missing! The cots had been in the room as we settled in for the night and were so heavy that it would take 2-3 adults to move each one. There were two doors to the room. One exited into the hallway and the other had been added to an external wall so that a fire escape could be built. The cots were nowhere to be found. Understandably, our troop leaders decided to remove us from the premises for the remainder of the night.

As far as my memory serves me, this was my first experience with the paranormal. It was not my last.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from West Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, cndlou2, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

tessie3879 (1 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-27)
I had almost the same experience at camp Wheelgate! We had also hiked to the church!
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-08)
I would have had to find out what happened to the missing beds. There's no way I could have left until I searched hight and low, or if nothing else, came back on my own soon afterwards to find out.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-08)
hi cndlou2, your story brings back a old memory I was only 7 or 8 years old, playing around a church and a graveyard just like you, same sort of thing happen to me (its payback i,m sure) thank you for sharing.
Aussie
dickron (3 stories) (21 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-04)
Hi cndlou2!

Nice experience and story! Probably those spirits are angry because your colleagues play with the graves and rang the church bell and they are disturbed, so they play tricks with your group also. (just my theory) 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: