You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Didn't Know I Was Looking At A Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Didn't Know I Was Looking At A Ghost

 

In 1971 I was a young Navy Nurse, stationed at the Philadelphia Naval Hospital. At that time, the active duty and retired personnel were cared for by Navy Nurses and corpsmen. There was a separate building for their dependents (wives and children) that was staffed by civilian nurses and aides. I'd just received orders that I was being transferred to Adak, Alaska, An island in the Aleutian chain. This was very remote duty, and military personnel could be accompanied by their wives and children. Being such a young nurse, I needed more experience in Pediatrics, so I was moved over to the civilian building. The Pedi unit was T-shaped, with patient rooms along the horizontal, the nurse's station, utility rooms and break room going down the Vertical.

One morning, I had a Drs. Order that a little girl needed to be catheterized. I went to the end of the hall to the break room to request assistance from an aide, and then headed back up the hallway to the clean utility room. I saw a woman I hadn't seen before come out of Nurses Station who seemed to be in a hurry. She was about my height (5'2") stocky build, with short brown curly hair. She was wearing a long green scrub dress, and I assumed her to be a Nurse. She bustled into the clean utility room without even looking in my direction. I was only 3 or 4 steps behind, and also went into the clean utility room. There was no one else there.

This was a small room lined with shelving, and no other way out. Finding this very odd, I went to the Nurses Station to ask "who was that nurse?" The reply was "what nurse?" I described what had just happened, and was told That she had been the Charge Nurse of that unit for many years, and Had died a few years earlier. Whenever she was seen, it had been the Foretelling of a death of anyone that had worked there with her.

The following day one of the housekeepers who'd been there many years, died suddenly of a heart attack.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, noah, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

IntriguedSceptic (43 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-05)
It was 1971 so I imagine the ghost nurse has succesfully picked off her old colleagues.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-10)
Oh wonderful, a Death Omen. That's gotta set everyone on edge in that place when they hear about it.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-09)
That would have been unsettling geez so she was as solid appeareance as the living? I have always been curious as to the way we see ghosts either full bodied apparitions to half misty sightings.

Thanks you for sharing.

Dan
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-09)
Nice, neat little story, noah. It's abundantly clear that those who pass over have a wide, wide range of purpose and activity. This Head Nurse kept her purpose generalized, so maybe she figured everyone needs to be reminded of their mortality ahead of time as they ask themselves "Is it me, am I the one?"
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-09)
I think I'd change jobs if I was one of the old timers who worked with her and she started showing up to much.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: