You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Doppelganger Of My Mother In The Mirror

Real Ghost Stories

Doppelganger Of My Mother In The Mirror

 

When I was 8 years old, I was really into ghost stories, superstitions, basically anything to do with paranormal activity. I devoured ghost stories and horror books like they were going out of style. One of the books I read, I believe it was called, "The Dictionary of Superstitions," said that long ago, unmarried girls would look into a mirror at the stroke of midnight to catch a glimpse of their future husbands. Being that it was October, close to Halloween, I was curious to try it out, but also afraid to do it by myself. I was terrified of the "Bloody Mary" thing, and didn't want to see anything TOO scary in the mirror.

One weekend night, my mom agreed to do it with me, mostly just to humor me. That night, we didn't see anything in the mirror except for our own reflections. Almost a month later, sometime in November, I saw the image of my mother in our bathroom mirror while walking down the hallway. I had been coming out of my bedroom, looking down at my feet, when I noticed light reflecting off the dark carpet. I looked up to see where the light was coming from. It was coming FROM the mirror in our darkened bathroom. In the mirror was my mom. She was only there from the shoulders up, as though she was sitting right in front of the other side of the mirror. I looked for a couple of seconds, and continued walking down the hallway towards the living room, passing up the bathroom and the image of my mother. After a few minutes, I decided to go back to my room and repeat my actions to see if I would get the same result. I walked back to my bedroom, waited for a second or two, and walked back out, looking in the bathroom mirror as I passed. This time the mirror looked dark and "empty," as though someone or "something" was gone, if that makes any sense. About 10 minutes later, when I came back out from my bedroom, I saw it again. It was exactly the same as before, the light actually came FROM the mirror. It looked more as though I was looking through a window than a mirror. This time, I stood gazing at the mirror long enough to note that my mom's eyes looked dead, no light reflecting from them at all. Even though she was looking at me, it seemed like she didn't notice me at all, it was more like she was looking through me. I also noticed that the light coming from the mirror was the same dingy, yellowish light that she has in her bedroom; it's a very distinct light that is only in her bedroom. At that point I thought she was playing a prank on me, and backed up a few steps to her bedroom to catch her in the act. For the first time in my life, her bedroom door was closed. Trying to be quiet, I slowly opened her door, and found her asleep on her bed with a V.C. Andrews book. After I closed her door back up, her image was still in the bathroom mirror when I turned back to look.

I'm now in my 20s and still live in the same house. Although I've never seen anything again in that mirror, that bathroom door remains closed whether occupied or not. My mother, who also grew up in this house, says that she was frightened of our dark hallway as a child, and used to run down it to reach her bedroom, even though it hasn't happened since, the memory of it makes me very uneasy. I know there's a theory about astral projection that you can leave your body while meditating or asleep, and sometimes others can feel or even see you at the time. Another possibility I've thought of is that when her and I looked into the mirror to see my "soulmate" that I saw her a month later because, even though I'm now happily married, I've known my mom my entire life, we've been through a lot together, and she's my best girl friend. My mom doesn't like to discuss paranormal matters, because it scares her. So if you have any experiences in this, ghosts in mirrors, doppelgangers, or any comments or questions I'd love to here from you. Thank you for your time and God bless.

Other hauntings by Fashionista777

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Fashionista777, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-01)
At WinWin- I have seen that Movie before the Mirror...
At Fashionista777- Wow that kind of creepy, Yes walking in the hall way in dark is scary make your stamach go up to your throat that happen to me sometimes now when I was little still older that still get that feeling like my stamach going up to my throat when I walk the dark hallway. I did hear about Bloody mary many time of my life.
robertar (223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-31)
maybe you should pray that nothing evil be in your bathroom... Because sometimes you need to leave the door open to air out.

I'd rather be dealing with unclean smell in my bathroom than an unclean spirit.
kymbreleigh (1 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-08)
I have had something similar happen. When I was between 11 & 12. I was staying up all night watching "Night Flight" and I heard my dad getting ready for work (he was a bread man) .I turned from the tv and I see my mom just standing there watching me. I said something to her but she didn't talk back. She just kept staring with a real blank face, not peaceful, not hateful just serious I guess. I said "Mama,Mama" to her still nothing. Then she just turned and went through the kitchen & down the hall. SO I got up and followed her calling "Mama",I went into their room and she was in bed but not asleep. I said why did you just go in the kitchen & look at me? She said she didn't.I thought she was playing a trick on me so I pressed the issue but she was firm in the fact that she did not. It was creepy. Hair was the same, she had on her nightgown and her robe. I have always been creeped out by it. Last night we went to my cousins house for dinner and were sharing creepy stories. I shared this one and my cousin she had a similar story. We both got the goosebumps! Both of our mothers are still alive.
Fashionista777 (4 stories) (57 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-04)
Thanks to all who posted a comment on my true experience.
To Sui, I don't feel threatened, but uneasy while in the bathroom. This feeling intensifies in the shower and tub area, to the point that I bathe as quickly as possible.
EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-03)
oh god now doppelgangers are real just perfect guess I'm avoiding the bathroom even more. 😭
Sui (2 stories) (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-31)
That is a rather harrowing experience, I am clueless as to what I could be but its interesting that other paranormal acts happen there, reading from your comments, lights turning on and the door shutting by itself... Maybe something is occupying the bathroom... Does it feel threatening? I also find it amazing that you saw your mother in the mirror twice! It must have been very scary however. I know I would have been frozen like a rabbit! Thanks so much for sharing!
JessicaWishon1989 (6 stories) (57 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-02-21)
yupp... Thanks very much you have offically scared me of my own apt. LOL!

In the living room, of the apt my fiance ryan and I share, We have a huge mirror on the wall its about 5 ft long and 3 ft wide. I mean its HUGE! And also as soon as you walk into the place to the right is the kitchen and to the left is the bar, And also the walls of the bar is completly covered with mirrors.

In our bathroom we have three mirrors on the wall two of them are medicine cabinets and then there's just a single mirror inbetween the two mirror covered medicine cabinets. Also, our shower has sliding glass doors on them, one of the doors is a MIRROR! Our bedroom has 2 big mirror about 4 feet tall and 2 ft wide hanging on either side of our bed. And on our his and her closets there is a mirror in between the two closet doors! So thanks... Now I'm freaked out of mirrors, and my apt. Is COVERED IN THEM LOL ❤
Fashionista777 (4 stories) (57 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-11)
Thanks to everyone for reading my story. To Dan, the door HAS closed on its own, about 5 or 6 times. It just started doing that recently, about 3 months ago, but to answer your question, it is us who generally keep the door closed after leaving the restroom. Also, twice this past week the bathroom light has turned back on after I've turned off the light and closed the door. Both times our family thought someone was in there until we found everyone accounted for.
To omgitsreal, I've also heard about doppelganger sightings being related to an upcoming death or illness of that person. Although my mom now has some health issues, at the time she was in great health, never got sick or in an accident. Because of that I've never understood what the purpose of seeing "it" was.
omgisitreal (3 stories) (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-10)
well a doppleganger are generally regarded as harbingers of bad luck. In some traditions, a doppelganger seen by a person's friends or relatives portends illness or danger, while seeing one's own doppelg
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-10)
Hi Fashionista777 you mentioned that the door to the bathroom remains closed occupied or unoccupied what do you mean by this, is it because you want it to remain that way or does it do it itself? They say mirrors can be a portal to the spiritual world and there is many stories on this site that are very similar to yours.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
winwin (17 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-09)
😕I see the ghost moive about mirror so when I move in my new house I never want to put mirror at my leaving room... Of course the mirror at the leaving room will look nice and make the house biger. But when your luck go down everything can be happen.
Fashionista777 (4 stories) (57 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-09)
Yes, my grandparents bought the house in 1960. They are now both deceased, and my mom, husband, and myself are living in this house, just the 3 of us. I only saw my mom in the mirror twice that one night back in the 90s, and have never seen it again since. I've heard theories that it could be a doppelganger, a demon, my mom's astral projection while she was asleep, or that she could be my soulmate. Not sure which theory (if any of those) it could be, but I still hate our hallway bathroom
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-09)
I've had I guess what you'd call a doppleganger experience. I don't know that I'd call your mirror episode exactly that. I really have no idea what you'd call it. So, your saying that it never happened again? Also, did you say that your mother grew up in this house and your happily married and still living in there with your husband and your mom?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: