You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Drip, Drip, Drip

Real Ghost Stories

Drip, Drip, Drip

 

Last night was the first night I've slept an entire night in weeks. I took medication to do it and woke up groggy, so I don't know if it was worth it or not, but I felt like I was going to lose my mind if I didn't get a full night's rest.

I have been awakened in the night (never seem to get past 3am) by a loud dripping noise. It drives me crazy, I get up and check everywhere to see if I can find the water anywhere, but everything is dry and no faucets are leaking. Last week, it even happened when I was still up by myself, trying to finish a knitting project for someone. I was sitting on the couch and I heard a very distinct dripping noise behind me. (My main floor is an open concept so there are no walls except for the outside walls). I thought perhaps something was dripping upstairs, that for some reason maybe the roof was leaking if heat was escaping through the ceiling somehow and perhaps melting the frost or snow on the roof. No. When I went upstairs, I couldn't even hear it anymore. Then when I returned back downstairs to the living room, I sat down on the couch and started knitting again, and I heard it in the corner behind the TV. Then it was on the other side of the room.

I became a bit panicky at this point, put down my knitting and went to bed. I did not turn the lights off because I didn't want to have to run upstairs. When I woke that night, I could also hear a man and a woman arguing. I couldn't tell what they were saying, but I distinctly heard their voices in an argumentative tone. I woke my husband up and told him to listen, he couldn't hear them, he could hear something, but he thought it was the wind. (Yeah, right.)

I've heard the voices in my house before, many times, but this dripping is driving me insane! I've never felt afraid in my house before, but now I am starting to have a pounding heart when I'm alone and I hear it. Does anyone have an explanation for it or any ideas as to what it might be? I live in a big log house and my husband says it's the timbers cracking well, it isn't. The timbers cracking don't sound anything like water drippping...

Am I losing my mind? I feel like it, I'm so exhausted.

Other hauntings by keltlass

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, keltlass, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

amy111 (19 posts)
-1
14 years ago (2010-05-04)
this can be some water the ghost has or any drinks and or something their carrying
Adri96 (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-11)
Try to vacation so that you can sleep well... And about the voices try and look from the history of the home/land...for more advice e-mail me at adrianaramos58 [at] yahoo.com
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-10)
Hi keltlass not to sure about the dripping but does seem quite weird especially if your saying that the sound moves locations. As hobbyholly touched on, the voices are definitely something I would look into, the way you have described the land I would could safely assume there is a connection there, you could maybe set up sound recorders or other digital recorders to see if they catch anything else. All the best.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
keltlass (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-10)
Hi hobbyholly,

Well, we have radiant heat, and in the 8 years that I've lived there, they've never made a noise like that. If the heat is shut off (or turned down when we go away) when I turn it up, and it calls for hot water, you can hear the water running in the pipes,, but no drip drip drip noise like someone splashing water with one drip at a time.

The house is new, but is built on a site where we dismantled the original log home that was here, but that hadn't been occupied for probably 75 years. There were carvings from the children on the old logs when they lived in the house, and just this past summer, when we ploughed the back field, we ploughed up a child's gravestone. I had heard a girl calling Mommy on several occasions, but my daughter was working in Germany and just put it off to our strong connection. Then the grave marker surfaced, and it was broken. So, we just stood it up where we found it because we couldn't find the base for it. (perhaps it will surface next year?)

That's all I know about the place. (we sold the old log home to someone who was going to put it up on their property up on the Mattawachan for a cottage,, but how do you ask someone if they're experiencing any strange things in their home without them thinking you're a little off).
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-10)
the dripping:
Do you have radiator heat? Are the floors timber? If there are pipes under the floor they could be knocking/dripping type noise. Or just the radiator heat in general (assuming you have that kind of system)

Not to sound like a broken record (but in regards to the voices) what is the history of the home/land?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: