You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: The Strangler

Real Ghost Stories

The Strangler

 

I used to believe a ghost could never physically harm someone, and some of those who know this story tell me it was probably just a dream. But who wakes up with eyes already open? I can assure you what happened to me four years ago was very real.

I was in my parent's basement; sleeping in a room I had already been haunted in once before when I was thirteen. As soon as I awoke one morning, I saw a cloudy green shape begin to form directly above the foot of my bed. It soon formed into an orb about the size of a soccer ball, obscured by a pale green fog. I knew I wasn't dreaming; it was too real. I was frightened, for I had never seen anything like it before.

I tried to move; I tried to get up and run, but I was held tight. My blanket felt unnaturally heavy. I couldn't move or scream it was so heavy, and as I stared at the floating thing, horrified, I noticed that I could no longer breathe. Whatever force held me to my bed, did also begin to tighten around my throat. Yet still, the green orb merely floated above me, using no physical action against me that I could see.

I literally thought I was going to die. The choking seemed to go on forever, though I recall it now only as about ten seconds. Still, it was a powerful choke. When it did end, the weight of my blanket only gradually lessened. As well, the ghost vanished from sight very slowly. Needless to say, I rushed out of my bed, out of the room and upstairs as fast as possible while barely catching my breath.

I have never slept in that room since, and only rarely have I even entered it.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Nuallan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

gbmary4049 (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-16)
iyiyiy9 what's a hag?

And by the way your story is nice thank you for sharing your expierience. 😊
iyiyiy9 (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-15)
its either a hag or just an evil spirit
If its en evil spirit it might have strangles peoople in real life
AnimeCr8zy (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-15)
i believe that this just might be a hag, which is called as a old lady that sits on your chest and strangles you. Also you need to look for help from paranormal experts because I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with that room. It might also be just an angry spirit that you just need to get rid of.
MelissaXXjennifer (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-14)
I believe... An angry ghost has the ability to harm you.

I have experienced an angry ghost who pushed me down the stairs of an abandoned house that is around my area in my hometown in Canada.
shiver222 (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-14)
This sounds like an Out of Body experience (OBE) to me actually. Technically you were still "in" your body, but really it was like your soul was lying inside your body looking out while your body remained asleep. This is combined with sleep paralysis. Coming out of the paralysis is a great example of feeling the weight of the covers lift off you.

It's very possible the orb was a separate entity or even a manifestation of your own fears. Often people experiencing an OBE have encounters with entities or objects holding them down. I myself felt I was pinned to the floor by some sort of demonic or evil presence during a spontaneous OBE years ago. The entire experience was terrifying at the time.

In hindsight, I feel the oppressive demonic force was likely a manifestation of my own fears regarding the unknown. I still remember the experience as thoroughly terrifying and I was afraid to sleep for fear of awaking to this again.

If it happens again, I would suggest demanding "Show me your true form!". The hard part is that you must say it as a demand and expect a result. You may find that the "demon" holding you down is really your own inner fears and obstacles. Sometimes confronting your fears is the only way to overcome them.

And remember - if this really is an evil entity the following would be true. Just as this entity is a spirit, so are you. I've driven back a menacing entity by asserting that I am immortal and my spirit is mighty as well. When I said this with confidence, the entity shrunk back and disappeared.

I know - this is all easier said than done and I'm far from an expert at controlling these experiences. I've had terrifying events that I believe to be OBEs and they are similar to yours. I am slowing learning to take control, as described above. Good luck!
KiwiSpirit (1 stories) (43 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-14)
"[at] nualan
Maybe its just your imagination, if its not imagination, you can go to your old room
With respect, what bad entities inside your room, please have more communicate to god"

I wish people would think for a few seconds before they start typing random thoughts (in a very poor form of english too)

I have also experieced terror alone in room, not quite of this description and nothing physically touched me. But I did feel immersed in a green glowing sensation psychicly (hard to describe) there could be something in the colour, such as auras.

I hope somebody else might have additional comments that may help you.

Kiwi
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-13)
Science will tell us its sleep paralysis, others will insist its something paranormal. To you all that matters was how real it was right, the key factor in most of these incidents, is how much does our own fears contribute to the cause, their are evil energies out their that need negative vibes such as fear to gain control, at the same time our fears can create a sub conscious reaction and fabricate a experience such as yours (sleep paralysis) 95 percent sure?that's how powerful the mind can be, if it was a ongoing event I would be concerned, as Its only happen once I would accept the science. Thank you for sharing your story.
cutechoy (42 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-12)
funny...

Very funny...

You don't know the meaning?

It is called "paralysis"...

Just comment
By:cutechoy (my nickname) ❤ ❤ ❤
IntriguedSceptic (43 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-12)
It's called "sleep paralysis".

Look it up, it's interesting.
Adri96 (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-11)
people telling you is your imagination is wrong because why would you want to imagine someone choking you... But I have never had something even close to that happen to me
paulo (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-11)
[at] nualan
Maybe its just your imagination, if its not imagination, you can go to your old room
With respect, what bad entities inside your room, please have more communicate to god
jazzeyjay (3 stories) (215 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-11)
Nuallan: I have had something like that happen to me before. I did not see an orb, but I was held down on the bed face down by a force and I could feel what felt to me like a thumb in my spine holding me down on the bed. I was praying in silence and it finally let go, but I turned over on my back and opened my eyes and there was nothing there and this what ever it was took it's forearm and put it under my neck and pinned me down again. I thought I was going to die. I knew it was a forearm and it felt to me like it was a left forearm. This went on for a while and finally after praying to myself, it finally let me go. I got out of the bed and did not try to go back to sleep. This happened to me in the morning hours after I had taken my children who were school age at the time to school. If you want my honest opinion, I do feel as though they can hurt you and I know for a fact they can make you hurt yourself.

I sure pray this never happens to you again. I can't explain the orb and so far, have never seen one myself.

God bless you

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: