You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Children In My Basement

Real Ghost Stories

Children In My Basement

 

I have recently moved into a 3-storey house in Florida with my husband (Dan) and twin daughters (Lissa and Zoe) and have experienced some strange things.

On the 6th of February, my husband was at work and my daughters where playing around the house. I was making some lunch and I could hear a child's laugh in the basement (the stairs are at the other end of the kitchen to where I was). I wasn't freaked because I thought it was Lissa and Zoe. After I had finished making the lunch, I called down the stairs of the basement for the girls to come up for lunch. When I didn't get an answer, I walked down the stairs to see if they where hiding and/or ignoring me. When I reached the bottom, I called out again but this time I got a response from the kitchen. When I had reached the top of the stairs, both Lissa and Zoe where looking at me, smiling.

"Girls, were you playing in the basement earlier?" I asked them

"No, mommy, we were playing in our room." Zoe said

That night, I told Dan what happened.

"Are you sure you heard laughing from the basement, it could have been from upstairs." He tried to reassure me, but it wasn't working.

When we went to bed, my mind was still spinning from the earlier occurrence and I started to hear laughing from the girl's bedroom. I went to see if they were awake but both of them were sound asleep.

The next morning, Dan took the girls to the Mall to buy some new stuff for the house and I was left to unpack some boxes in different rooms of the house (including the basement).

I had finished unpacking the boxes on the Upper floors of the house and just had to do the basement. As I was unpacking, I heard the familiar sound of children playing behind me. I was thinking that Dan had come home but he had only been gone an hour (maybe not even that). I turned to see a thin (almost transparent) white mist climbing the stairs into the kitchen. I followed it but it vanished before I got to the top.

Could my new house be haunted be children from the past or could it be my imagination?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, georgusgal, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-18)
Kudos to the OP for actually researching the house.

As long as you and your family are not frightened I would take it as a few extra guests in the home.
georgusgal (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-18)
the house was built two years ago and I did some research and in WW1, is was an orphanage for children aged 0-18. My daughters say that they play with children when they are down there 😨. My old house was fine because it was just an apartment with three bedrooms. Thank you for all the support with this, the spirits arent harming us so we are not scared of them ❤

Love

Georgusgal
Xxxxxxxxx
nyarlathotepsama (1 stories) (43 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-18)
Someone might have asked but have you had an experience like this before? I claim to be a skeptic but I'm always, no matter what, looking for real supernatural events. I have heard that some people might be more sensitive to spirits than others and if you've seen one before it could be likely you're one of them.

It doesn't seem like your spirit is hostile, so maybe fear wouldn't be a good way to view it. Maybe look into the history of your house, it could prove very interesting.
rockstar09 (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-17)
Did anything happen to you like this in your old home? Sometimes when people move they're usually paranoid about the house (take me for instance 😳) You should try to get it on tape and then send it to someone to see what they'd thing. I for one would like to hear it so you should put it on the site.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-17)
Thank you for sharing your story. It does sound like you are having some spiritual activity going on in your house, but I don't think it's a threat to your family in any way. Have your children spoken to you about seeing or hearing anything strange? It may just be a residual haunting. Please keep us posted if anything else develops.
KiwiSpirit (1 stories) (43 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-17)
It could be your imagination or it could be more, try setting up a tape recorder or a video camera in the basement on long play and just let it roll for hours. It seems you hear these sounds when you are in the absesnce of anyone else, so this could be the best time to set up your equipment. Also don't dismiss that sound can travel through passages in the walls and sound very much like it could be from another location. As for the misst? That leads me to believe that there is a presence of some kind and not just your imagination but then the mind is a powerful thing and can fabricate all sorts of things.

Kiwi
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-16)
Sounds like this could be a residual haunting but I could be wrong it might be trying to get your attention and it wants you to aknowledge its presance. It doesn't seem to be hostile or angry I would try find out a bit more of the history of the house and the land.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
DarkMintyCookie (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-16)
I don't think it was your imagination. You have spirit children in your house, and there are lots of spirits of children in many places. They don't usually notice you.
I would do a bit of research on the house to see who used to live there. You might be able to find out about the children. 😊
Marg (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-16)
I believe, you have spirit children there because, I have a sister who once had a spirit child living in her basement. I would find out who used to live there and if, anyone died in the past. Good luck.😊
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-16)
How old is your house? Do you know anything about the previous owners or the land?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: