You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Ghosts In A Prison

Real Ghost Stories

Ghosts In A Prison

 

My Dad used to work in a prison. Before it was a prison it was a place where people got executed.

One day my Dad was working the whole night and decided at about 2AM he would take a little nap, as he had finished all he needed to do. He fell asleep quickly but woke at about 3AM to the sounds of laughter and joy. He was about to stand up when he found he could not move his arms! He panicked and looked around to see what was happening. He turned his head and saw two monks holding his legs and arms. The monks were quite young and he knew they were not going to hurt him. Then one thing scared him so much he started shouting for help: The monks had blood running down their body everywhere! It trickled down their necks. The laughter got louder as though they enjoyed seeing him so scared. As soon as he shouted, the monks disappeared with a one last laugh and they were gone and he could move his arms again.

People ran into the room and asked what was wrong. So he told them what happened.

Everyone asked where the blood from the monks was. He looked everywhere and found not a drop of blood anywhere. They all told him it was a dream and nothing happened, but he knew it was not and stuck to his story.

Thanks for reading!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BonBon77, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-23)
I think tinonline has it with the Abbey - there was a great deal of religious violence in the UK prior to the target date of 1700. Between Cromwell and Queen Mary, things got ugly and nuns and monks were not necessarily spared in the violence. Not to mention the fact that not every soul that takes to the cloth is necessarily a good one - the spectral monks that frightened the OP's father may have been bad eggs in life and put to death because of it.
tinonline (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-23)
Hi

I might be able to assist here.

This occurrence took place in Reading Prison. The prison, a Victorian building was built on top of an earlier gaol. I doubt the earlier building in the 1700's carried out executions here as there were gibbets and executions places on the edges of town specifically for that purpose.

However the Victorian building (opened 1844) did executed on prem and there are graves along one of the walls. The prison's hanging or execution room is locked and 'not available'. The prison is no longer in use. There are accounts and records of the executions here. But I don't believe this is relevant.

What is interesting, is that the location of the prison is on top of Reading Abbey ruins - on top of the old hospitum or if not directly, very close to it. Depends upon which sources you read.

I wonder if those monks were either patients of, or workers at, the Abbey hospital. Remember blood letting was a common cure and therapy at the time. The Abbey was desolated by Henry VIII.
BonBon77 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-21)
Found it!
I got this off wikipedia:
It was designed to carry out what was the very latest penal technique of the time, known as the separate system. As a county gaol it also served as the site for executions, the first one in 1845 before a crowd of 10,000, the last one being carried out in 1913.
Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_ (HM_Prison)
BonBon77 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-21)
It is called Reading Prison but I checked history and stuff and it said nothing about the executions.
The sighting took place a few months before christmas 2006.
number13 (31 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-21)
Hello again, maybe I can find out about the ghost but can you tell me the name of the prison? Terribly sorry for not asking that BonBon77. I will try to find out about the place with the information you have given me now. Goodbye and Good luck to you and your father.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-21)
2am is witch hour or dead times and it tend to show up where there place was at like prison for sent whenever or wherever that at it can be anywhere when dead there.
KiwiSpirit (1 stories) (43 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-20)
What is the name and locaton of the prison? And when did the sighting take place?

Kiwi
BonBon77 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-20)
[at] Number13, We do not actually know the EXACT date of when it was an execution ground, but we are gueissing in the 1700.
I will try to find out.
number13 (31 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-19)
Hello BonBon77, your father is currently working in a prison am I correct? This place used to be an execution ground to right? The monks maybe some ghosts of Heretics but I won't know that until you exactly say when was the prison used to be an execution ground, maybe it has connection's with a Group Heretics in the middle ages and maybe they were executed there. But until I know exactly what your father is dealing with I cannot give advices but use holy waters, crosses, do an EVP, and videocam the place where the place is the most uncomfortable. I am sorry I cannot help you more until I know exactly what ghost your father is dealing with, is it a good or angry ghost, it seems its an evil entity but I cannot be certain of it. Have a nice life for you and your father.
signup (31 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-19)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: