You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Devil Under The Stairs

Real Ghost Stories

Devil Under The Stairs

 

This story happened when I was about 7 I'm now 43 and still puzzled over what happened. What makes this more puzzling was that it happened to 3 kids me 7 years old, my brother Allen 6 years old, also my cousin Keith 8 years old,

Ok here goes

We lived in a small 4 bedroom house with a closet under the stairs nothing unusual about that the closet would narrow as it comes to the bottom of the stairs so not really much storage space at all. All our family and my cousins family were in the house all the kids were playing hide and seek me, Allen and Keith went to hide under the stairs, we ran in to the closet under the stairs but this time there was a stairway leading further down into the ground what was strange was it was made with really old stones and there was flickering light coming from bellow we started to go down the stairs Allen first then me and then Keith behind me. As we got further down the light was getting brighter and we realized it was lights from a fire at this time. We were all getting scared I was pushing Allen to continue down and me and Keith followed him until we could see a great fire in the middle of a room with a cauldron on top of it. We heard only sounds from the fire no other sounds and we kept slowly walking down the stairs and then I saw what looked like a 3 pronged fork coming up from behind and over to the right of the cauldron as if it was being put up into the air that's when I saw the arm holding the 3 pronged fork that was enough for all of us we ran upstairs and out of the closet very upset in what we had seen and we didn't really talk about it

We all eventually told our parents what had happened and they just laughed it off

Over the years I have spoken to Keith about what happened he basically says the same as me he still wonders about it himself but Allen doesn't say a lot about it. On speaking to him recently he says "all I will say to you pat is that it happened but I don't want to talk about it and if you tell anyone about the story and I was involved I will deny it".

I often wonder what Allen saw as he was down 3 or 4 more steps than me and Keith he must have seen a lot more. I still wonder today what I saw and how one day we went into that closet and there was another stairway leading elsewhere.

If anyone has any ideas what it could be please let me know as I'm interested

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, PatPgtips, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Aliendewd (6 stories) (22 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-09-25)
I'm from the Uphall area myself. My Dad's family is well known in Uphall (my Grandfather used to be the school janny back in the day). Now as far as i'm aware Stankards was farmland until the houses were built there in the early/mid 60's I believe.
'Stankards' refers to a number of ponds or 'stanks' which were part of the farm (more a small holding), it was originally part of Houstoun House estate and I believe had several holdings within the area. These though were more akin to crofts which wouldn't traditionally have had 'cellars'. It may be possible that prior to the land being used as holdings there was other buildings on the land. I know for certain that where the newer 'Old folks home' is situated there was a castle believe it or not, similar in design to Niddrie Castle in Winchburgh which dated to around 1100 AD. Whether there may have been out buildings associated to the Castle built around the area where the housing now stands I don't know, but I guess it's entirely possible.
robertar (223 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-04)
I've heard of similar accounts. Basements that 'change'. Old buildings that later disappear. Weirdness. God only knows, and maybe a spirit entity that causes it.
Unfriendly (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-04)
AussieDaz and DeviousAngel hit the nail on the head. I too once saw a portal like this when I was the same age, though it was a cave with a green light eminating from it and I didn't enter. I now know it wasn't an actual place. Without boasting I am going to admit I am rather skilled at seeing things in other planes of existance and when I go back to that place there simply is nothing there, it was just an illusion. Now I have to ask the question "what made that illusion and why?". Perhaps it was a spirit guide trying to tell us something, or maybe it was just some sort of entity getting cheap thrills. Perhaps it was infact me who created the illusion for my younger self later on in life, so that I might be set on the spiritual journey. Interesting thought.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-03)
Had to read this story again it so intriguing, I wonder why of all places for it to happen would have to be a closet! There are to many experiences people have that involve closets or cupboards. I'm definately leaning towards the portal theory but aussie has got a good suggestion also I know this is an old story but had to cmment on it. 😕
narcissa (4 stories) (77 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-09)
seems like the closet was some sort of portal... Sorry can't elaborate much as I have limited knowledge of these aspects...

Jerryhend...please back off... No one wants your unwanted snicker of comments here 😆
jerryhend1 (3 stories) (136 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-09)
They don't have that kind of power, every one is crying wolf, yet no one knows what the the wolf is... Really you all are looking like fools... Really large arc of grass. Really...
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-07)
Interesting story. The closest thing I can think of was when I was with my friends about to cross onto a vacant property at night. I saw a large arch made of shrubs, like something very manicured and neatly cut. It was there the entire time I never thought much about it, but we got spooked and left because the area was supposedly haunted. I always wondered what would have happened if I walked under that arch because I went and looked around the next day and chills went down my spine because there was nothing there, and my friends didn't see it. I know they weren't playing a trick on me either. I stayed at my friend's house and spent the night and something did follow us from that area as well as me seeing the arch. It made an awful banging and ruckus in the closet but I was so tired I ignored it and went to sleep but she got up and slept in her mom's room. It isn't the first time I've encountered spirits so the noises didn't frighten me too much.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-03-25)
I agree with Devious Angel, that it is possible that a manipulative spirit, may have distorted your minds a bit like being hypnotized and led you and your brothers (out of body) down into the spiritual world of reality projection, probably a tormented soul who fell short of really scaring the daylights out of you guys, being as young as you were and based on how clever this spirit was you'd no knowledge that you guys were in astro travel, interesting story.
Trudy44 (60 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-25)
Dear PatPgtips,

Even though the house was modern maybe the land was a religious place in the ancient days. In the Celtic religions didn't the cauldron play very important part in that religion?
PatPgtips (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-23)
theres definately no stairs in the closet.
I don't live there anymore I still live in the same area the house is about 10 minutes walk from were I live now and there's a family living there.

When this happened it took me a while to go into the closet again but as I got older I did and I never seen what I saw when I was younger its very strange.

I spoke about it with friends as I could never forget what happened it took me a while to post this anywere on the internet.

I have a couple of other stories but ill leave them for a later time as this is the one that has haunted me since a kid.
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-22)
SCARY! Are you still living in that house? Have you tried to go back and check if there really is a stairway going down?
PatPgtips (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-22)
there was only 3 of us.
The house doesn't have a basement like most houses in our area.
I don't know of any houses that do have a basement most houses in the uk will be without a basement.

Its a mystery that I have tried to forget about but I cant.
Jitow (362 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-22)
That is truly baffling that 4 of you experienced this at the same time. I think that it would be extremely important to try and communicate with your friends and find out exactly what each of you experienced. Are all 4 of you gifted in some way, spritually? I would not think that 4 different people would have the same vision or hallucination at the same time or that any one type of spirit could have pulled off something that intricate on purpose (in contrast to 4 people seeing an apperition or shadow). It could have been the exact moment that another dimension opened up briefly. I am a person of very strong Faith and I also speculate that the spiritual realm or dimension is very close to ours. Who knows what may have triggered it to open up at that particular moment. If it turn from a small closet to a stone passage way down to a boiling pot, and all 4 witness the same thing, I would have to lean on the side of briefly stepping into the spiritual dimension. It does not sound as if any other being willed you all there at that time. I would imagine that you were a little freaked, how long before one of you opened that closet again?
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-02-22)
If you or any one else is interested, I have a picture of my daughter that is extremely, to say the least, strange...

She had called me at work that day and wanted me to come over, as she just wasn't feeling right... She said she felt heavy, like something was pressing on her... The day before, her friends had gotten married, and she took some pictures with a digital camera... They snapped off the last remaining on the card, and the one of her is so crazy... It shows her, but at an angle over her it's almost like a double exposure, though she cleared the card prior to the wedding...There's all kinds of things in this "veil" that covers about half of the picture...It's hard to discribe, you have to see it... I think what was pressing down on her was another dimension... Some one correct me if I'm wrong, but double exposures don't happen on digital cameras...It's impossible, as it's NOT film, the cards don't retain images... Nothing in this picture is anywhere else in that batch... And nothing like that has happened since...

Long post...Sorry...E-mail me if you'd like to see it... I think it's very interesting...
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-02-22)
I agree with Moongrim... You passed through a portal to somewhere else... Why at that time, who knows?...Did the house have a basement?...I know most times the basement stairwells are directly below the stair well to the next floor...That's crazy, any way!...Good story...
PatPgtips (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-22)
the house was a modern house for its time.
I don't think there was any houses on that land before as it was a new housing area.

The house is situated in stankards uphall west lothian scotland.

The house was located next to a large wooded area and possibly it was a wooded area at one time to.

Ive decided to try and get more information about the area now ill keep everyone posted when and if I find anything more.

Im passing this link to both allen and keith and hopefully they might comment on there experiance to.
ally711 (20 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-22)
SCARY!I would of screamed loud very good story souds like it was the stairway to hell. 😨
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-22)
Dimensional portals.

How old of a house? Was it built upon an older foundation? Perhaps a foundation that once had stairwell into a basement?

One wonders if the said house has had any such occurences with residents of it, since.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-02-22)
Wow...the only explanation I have for this is that it's possible a spirit caused you guys to hallucinate and appeared to you as something that you all were afraid of, so that it could feed off of the buffet of negative energy you all gave off in your fear. Children I think are a lot more susceptible to spiritual torment because they are so open and generally unable to shield themselves spiritually.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: