You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Living In A Haunted House

Real Ghost Stories

Living In A Haunted House

 

Now this took place many, many years ago. I just don't speak about it too often as people tend to discredit you and tend to think you're losing it. The haunted house I lived in was overseas when my family tried living back in our home land, Uruguay.

17 years ago I was living back in my birth country Uruguay, in the capital Montevideo. For the last 2.5 years that my family lived there, was spent living in our family home that my parents purchased. That house is haunted by the ghost of the first home owner; in fact it was the first lady of the house. We found out through a neighbour history that she had passed away in the house, peacefully in her sleep. The family had her wake service their as well...

For the first year and a bit, all I had experienced was the feeling as if someone was in my room, and I would be the only one home, alone in my room. There had been a few nights were I've waken up all of a sudden and could feel like someone was in the room with their eyes on me. I felt it was that bad that I never wanted to turn around because it also felt like a bad energy vibe. Then in the last 6 months that we lived there before returning to Australia is where I really started to believe there was a ghost in the house because it's about the time I started to hear footsteps going up to the master bedroom. I know that wood creaks with weather change, but I know it wasn't wood creaking because the steps would sound one after the other. I use to hear it mostly late at night time, and it sounded like the sound was going up, so to me it sounded as though someone was walking up the steps.

There was one week where my family was away on a camping holiday, I stayed home alone. For that entire week I'd be chilling at home in my room, watching my little black and white TV (I know bad), and I would see a dark figure walk past my twin bedroom doors. The doors had frosted glass in the middle of the door frames, plus two big frosted glass windows on either side of my bedroom doors. I would see this dark figure walk passed the entire length. The first time I saw it I thought my parents had come back early because I thought it was one of them that had walked past. I ran to the door opened them up and no one was home. I also started to hear footsteps going up the other set of stairs in the kitchen area which led to the maid quarters and laundry room. There was a whole other room past that, that we used as storage. These steps in the kitchen only had wooden planks as steps. They were being held up by a huge metal frame as the backbone and these wooden planks set across this frame. I could hear actual steps, and to me it sounded like someone was walking up.

One morning I thought we had a break in because I found the patio door in the kitchen unlocked and opened. I've always been a bit of a home security freak; I check things 2, 3 times to make sure everything is locked. That door is important to check, because city homes back in Montevideo are all joined by one wall, the square block. Every house has access to the roof and therefore neighour's roofs as well. Anyone who happened to be on our neighbourhood block could gain access to my house by jumping down into our patio and your in. Not a long drop if you want to rob the place and walk out the front door. So I use to check this door religiously before going to bed. One morning I found it unlocked and opened slightly a jarred. I freaked thinking someone had broken in. I ran around and checked everything and VCR, TV, stereo, everything of value was still in its place. Talking to my mum once, when I told her about this door experience that morning, she admits that this happened to her a few times.

To me it felt as though she just made herself present to me. I never once got a message or heard any voices, the only sounds I always heard was both set of stairs. She wasn't a communicative ghost, from my experiences she just liked to make her presence felt. My mum admitted to me once when we spoke about it, that she and my some of my family members did a Ouija board séance and got her spirit. The lady's spirit told my mum in that séance that this was her first family home and that she loved the house so much. At that time my parents were thinking of moving back to Australia and the spirit told her that she didn't want my mum to leave cause she looked after the house well, like she use to. You see my mum is a clean freak, everyday she was cleaning the house, and my mum loves to have things in order and in its place, I think this is why the lady ghost loved my mother being there.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, doggz, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Celtic (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-01)
Hi there,

I was born in Montevideo also, and the flat where I lived with my mother in "El Barrio Sur", Canelones and Yaguaron street, was haunted.
Funny thing was, I only noticed it was haunted when I was a teenager, it was very weird and scary...
When my mother too started to experiment strange noises, smells, doors slamming shut on a calm, not windy night, etc, then she believed me.
Although I've experimented the same things my mother did, I also had been attacked by dark spirits, which I would describe them as demons.
I never saw anyone but felt them instead. One morning I woken up with someone or something breathing on my face. I was frozen solid with fear and shock, and its hand around my neck. I prayed the only way I knew, just by calling with all the strength of my mind the name Jesus! I am not catholic or religious, but believe in the higher power of superior spirits, which are willing and able to help us if we call upon them, and the first one it came to my mind was Jesus...
Eventually, I managed to shake myself free from that hideous being.
I had others very similar experiences too, which I won't describe here.
The most strange thing was that when my mother died (blessed be her soul, dear mum), the spirit attack stopped, it was as if they wanted her dead!
Still, to me was still something really dark and evil there. I couldn't wait to sell that horrible flat, so I did and left Montevideo for good and never returned.
Anyway, I would appreciated, if I could get a reply from you telling me what you think, and I am also curious where about in Montevideo was your haunted house?
All the best.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-02)
Hi doggz it does sound like a residual haunting even though the things the lady was doing was getting your attention I don't know if she was trying to do that on purpose but you never know. I wonder why the lady never moved on she does not seem to be stuck there its like her own choice which I find strange, but as your mum mentioned at least she is happy with you guys living there and is not trying to harm or scare you.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
doggz (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-25)
Thanks for the comments guys:

Nyarlathotepsama: totally agree with you, I guess people like that just haven't experienced it yet, the classic don't believe it until I see it syndrome, and can't blame them, I'm the same way. But difference with me is I don't discredit what I don't know about either, just because I don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Anywho each to their own, and those who don't believe will eventually believe one day.

Terranigma: I don't know if she knew if she was a spirit or not, can't answer that, but I know that she would've been there cause she passed away in the house and the family had all her funeral things at the home as well, plus with her love of her home and I'd bet at the time the love of her husband kept her spirit there instead of going to the light. Those that pass away and can't let go of the real world are the ghosts we encounter cause they don't want to go into the light. Then you have spirits who have been wronged (killed, murdered), or those who died tragically stay behind too. At least that's what I've been taught anyways.

Thanks again guys, have a good...
terranigma (9 stories) (71 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-25)
i think that story if funny in a way. Fancy the ghost wanting your mother to stay there and look after the housr like she did.

I wonder if the ghost lady knew she was dead? Wonder why she stayed in the house?

Who owns the house now?
nyarlathotepsama (1 stories) (43 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-25)
*nods* I've never understood why people judge you when you tell them something you experienced. I guess they just don't understand. Thank you for sharing.

I believe you. I can feel the truth in your story and I'm also glad that your spirit seems to be friendly. A Benign Haunting can be frightening but at least no one has been harmed.

You know, don't let people tell you that you are crazy for believing in spirits. I've always believed that there is more to a person than our bodies alone, even if I'm a bit of skeptic.
doggz (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-25)
Thanks Aussiedaz... We come from a religious background (not catholic) where we don't offend the spirits of the dead, their well respect, even as of latino background as it is. Some might think it may be a bad idea, but my mum let her stay cause she wasn't harming anybody. Like I said in the story, she only made her presence felt by walking the stairs and unlocking the patio door. I think she scared me the most cause at the time I wasn't a good little boy and she would've known it lol... I don't think ghost haunt either, its just some bad ones exists and knowing she was pretty friendly I guess wrong title for my story.
Dreamgal72...yeah she wasn't happy cause out of all the previous owners I don't think any of them looked after the house like my mum did, she is a bit of a clean freak, and I guess they both shared a similarity and therefore the lady ghost maybe felt a connection with my mum as it was the ghost house as well.
Cheers for the comments guys, have a good one.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-24)
Doggz,What a good story, I'm glad your mum decided to communicate instead of throwing salt around the joint, ghost don't haunt they exist, I too remember the days of black and white tv, hope to hear more.
Cheers mate
Aussie
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-24)
Wow, How nice of her want your mom stay and I guess what she did want her to stay. I am sure the ghost lady not happen that ya'll move.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: