You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Portuguese Girl

Real Ghost Stories

Portuguese Girl

 

I'm new at this and have a lot of stories to share, so here goes one of many!

This happened to my grandfather and one of his co-workers/friends. After work one day they decided to go and have supper at a new restaurant close to where they both worked. (They were both bachelors, didn't cook for themselves!) They were sitting in the restaurant, finishing their food when it started raining viciously. My grandfather suggested that they hurry home due to the heavy rain because he didn't want to push their luck with the storm. On their way to the house they saw a girl (in her early 20's) standing beside the road, hitch-hiking. My grandfather could until today still describe what she looked like: Dark brown hair, pale blue eyes and she wore glasses. Gentlemen as they were, they stopped to ask her if they could take her home. She agreed, got in the car and gave them the address where she lived. Eventually, after a long and confusing drive, they got to her house, lights burning inside and everything. She thanked them and got out and into the house.

The next day my grandfather and his friend were talking to one of their other co-workers about the terrible storm the previous night and the poor girl they picked up out of the rain. They then told him how they struggled to find the girl's house. The co-worker then asked where the girl lived. They told him the address and seeing the guy's shocked and puzzled expression, asked him what was wrong...

The guy then said that that particular 'house' belonged to a Portuguese family and had been burned down a few years ago, taking the life of the 23 year old daughter who failed to get out in time. After this incident the rest of the family, devastated by the girl's death, moved away, leaving the house and its remains behind. He said that it was impossible for someone to live there because it was never built over again since the accident.

Obviously they didn't believe the story and decided to drive past the 'house' again, just to make sure... And there the house stood, stained from burning, no windows, no door, no roof and no girl.

My grandfather's friend got such a shock that he had a cardiac arrest and they had to rush him to hospital.

Weird, but completely true!

Other hauntings by Shayliha

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Shayliha, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Shayliha (4 stories) (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-03)
It takes a while for the story to come on, so it might be there next week some time!

😉
Shayliha (4 stories) (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-03)
Hey pianoqueen!

Thanks for your comments!
I have just put on another one of my sister's experiences! It's under Little Madelein...

😉
pianoqueen (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-02)
Wow, that's scary! My neighbor/friend doesn't believe in ghosts, yet there's so much proof all around her! Keep telling us your stories! I love them! And has anything happened with your sister lately?
Temilicious (7 stories) (99 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-31)
oh my sock that would have freakd me out as well.

My friends and I are actually going ghost hunting on April fool's day and one of them lives in Alberton, it's not far from Boksburg so am going to tell them your story and hopefully they will agree to drive passed. Hope you get the farm's name though.

And welcome to YGS.
Shayliha (4 stories) (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-30)
Oh and I'll try to find out the name of the mealie/corn farm that was accross from this house!

Will keep you posted! 😊 😊
Shayliha (4 stories) (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-30)
Heya...

It's indeed a true story.
My grandfather's friend was in hospital for a few weeks after the incident, according to my grandmother. He had to see various psychiatrists because of the shock.

Also, many of my other family members still talked about this story long after my grandfather passed away, so I believe he was telling the truth. 😊
Nordic (44 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-30)
Hi Shayliha, whereabouts in South Africa did this happen? Can you be specific? I'd like to check it out if it's in my vicinity.
IntriguedSceptic (43 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-30)
Is it possible your grandfather made up this tale and told you when you were young?

This is another version of an urban myth that I was told on numerous occasions involving various houses around my town.
Shayliha (4 stories) (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-30)
😊 Hey guys...

Thanks for the comments! There will be a lot more stories from my side, so have a lookout! 😉

Unfortunately I don't have a picture, but I talked to my gran and she said that this all happened in Brakpan. Or actually the house was across a mealie farm in Brakpan on the Boksburg road.
Marco29 (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-30)
I see you're from S.A as well, nice story though... Would love to know where this happened. Keep us posted. Ps, great site guys!
FraulineLecker (1 stories) (20 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-29)
Shayliha

Welcome! These is really interesting I love this story... And would love to see a picture or something but not necessary

Keep us posted ok!
Gizmo (1 stories) (22 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-29)
wow 😲
Yes I would to like to visit this place as well
Do you think you can tell me where that burned house is located?
_Izanne_ (4 stories) (27 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-29)
Can you tell me where that happened, more or less? I'd like to go there, it sounds like an interesting place! 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: