You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: I Need My Mommy

Real Ghost Stories

I Need My Mommy

 

I hesitated before sending this story. I wasn't sure it could help anyone, but it was my daughter's initiation into the "paranormal" and my first true sighting.

In 1991, my daughter's dad and I moved into a house (built in 1965), and found out the day we moved in that I was pregnant. I really don't remember any activity worth mentioning that occurred before my daughter Jerrica turned 5. Although her dad did tell me a week or so after we moved in that he thought the house was haunted. He didn't know why; just a feeling he had. Here I was, the one with previous experiences, and I didn't feel anything from the house. Oh well, I guess my "Spidey Senses" weren't active yet.

There were so many days that Jerrica would come into the Living Room or Kitchen and ask me what I wanted. Before I realized what was going on, I would tell her I didn't say anything. Jerrica would tell me that yes, I called her name. Funny thing about that is I called her "Baby." I still do sometimes and she's 18. I rarely called her Jerrica, except when she was in trouble and then it was "Jerrica Lynn!" Finally, when I realized she was hearing voice (s), I started telling her I didn't remember what I wanted, or I would make something up.

Don't criticize me here, please. I was completely ignorant about things then. I didn't know what to do, or even if this stuff was really real. I hadn't started keeping my journal yet, so I was still on the fence: "am I crazy or I am really seeing/hearing things?" Strongly leaning toward "crazy"; people just didn't talk about "that kind of stuff" then. If they did, in my experience, it was either to tell "ghost stories" to scare little kids (and teenagers!) or to make fun of other people.

During the summer before Jerrica started Kindergarten, her dad and I would hear crying and naturally assume it was Jerrica. When Jerrica cried, I would run into her bedroom, but she would be sound asleep. It was a very small 2-bedroom house; it only took a second or two to get to her bedroom. When it happened the first time, and I realized she was sleeping peacefully, I wondered if my cat Harley was meowing and her dad and I just thought it was Jerrica. Since cats can make noises that sound like crying, this would have been a completely reasonable explanation. Especially when I went in and Harley was lying on Jerrica's chest with his paw on her face. Harley slept with Jerrica whenever he was in. Sometimes he even napped in her bed when she wasn't home.

Okay, time for a lot of you to go off on me! I know there are people who absolutely freak out about cats around babies and children. I'm not one of them, and my daughter is still alive today. Harley didn't steal her breath or her soul! In hindsight, I think he was trying to comfort, protect her. Anyway, I quickly ruled out it being Harley because the crying would happen when neither he nor my cat Familiar were even in the house. (Side Note: I never thought it was Familiar because typically she didn't go in Jerrica's room. She was my cat and very independent in nature. Familiar didn't need the closeness that Harley thought he did.)

The crying happened almost every night for what seemed like an eternity. Each time, her dad or I would check on her and she would be asleep. The weird thing about it was the crying was for "mommy." Jerrica never called me mommy; I was "momma." (To this day, the word "mommy" has never crossed my daughter's lips when referring/talking to me.)

One night Jerrica started crying really hard. I ran into her bedroom, picked her up and held her while she cried. She kept repeating "I need my mommy." I told her that I had her, but she still kept crying for her "mommy." I yelled for her dad and when he came in Jerrica had calmed down a little bit, but was still shaking from crying so hard.

I can't remember the exact order these next events took place, but at one point she put her hands on my face, put her nose and forehead to mine and told me "Promise me you'll never do that again. Please, mommy, promise me. It's so bad, mommy, you just don't know" and started crying again. Yes, these were her exact words. They are words that are so cemented in my brain that I can still see, hear, and feel her doing it.

At one point, she looked at her TV and just screamed in terror. Then a few minutes later, she screamed again when she looked at her bedroom window. The whole time Jerrica was screaming and crying her eyes were totally vacant. She didn't even have tears. I know that sounds weird, but there were no tears. She was "dry sobbing" if that makes any sense. She wasn't seeing anything except what was in her head. I just sat there, held her, and cried. I had never felt so helpless in my life. My baby was terrified and I couldn't do anything to help her.

Finally, and I'm not sure how long this went on that night (it seemed like forever), Jerrica suddenly came out of whatever trance she was in, sighed really deeply and laid her head against my chest and went to sleep. It didn't even seem like she'd been crying. She didn't do the gulping, shuddering that children do when they've been on a "crying jag" and have cried themselves to sleep.

The next day I asked her if she remembered having a bad dream and she didn't have any idea what I was talking about (she still doesn't remember). But this went on for 2 entire weeks. Every night the same thing would happen; Jerrica's dad and I would hear a little girl crying for her mommy, Jerrica would start "crying," I would go in to comfort her, she wouldn't realize I was there, and eventually she would just go to sleep. She didn't say anything the other times though; just that one time. Believe me, that was more than enough.

I asked her pediatrician if he thought she might be nervous about starting school and he said more than likely that was not the case. He said he just calls them night terrors, all children have them, and there was nothing that could be done about it. He also said not to worry about them because they eventually go away. Her dad and I didn't realize that there might be more to it than that until a few months later.

Jerrica and I were the only ones in the house one afternoon in September of that same year. She was playing in her bedroom floor, back to the doorway, watching TV and working a puzzle. Jerrica was dressed in a purple Mickey and Minnie Mouse sweatsuit. (This is relevant.) I went to the bathroom and left the door open since we were the only ones there. I saw something out of the corner of my eye; thinking it was Jerrica, I glanced up. But she wasn't Jerrica. I saw a beautiful little girl standing in the bathroom doorway. She was about 4 or 5 years old, long blond hair which hung in ringlets over her shoulders, with big blue eyes. She was wearing a blue short outfit. The shirt came to just above her belly button and had a lattice-type border on it, about an inch from the bottom of her shirt. I couldn't see her mouth, but I knew she was smiling because of the crinkles at the corners of her eyes. I also couldn't see her feet. I'm not sure how long she stood there (it could have been minutes, it seemed so long), but when I blinked, she was gone. She wasn't transparent; she was as solid as I was.

I didn't mention to anyone that I had seen her until 2 or 3 weeks later, after I saw her again. Then I told Jerrica's dad. I'm not sure he believed me at that point, but we kept watching and listening. Familiar was the only cat who ever noticed her. Familiar would glance up, look toward the hallway, and move her head from left to right, like she was watching the little girl go from Jerrica's room to my bedroom. It was never the other way, always from left to right. I know Familiar was seeing the little girl, because she would look up just as I would see her. The second time I saw the little girl, I saw her coming from Jerrica's room to my room.

It seemed like this occurred every year from then (1997) until I moved out in January 2000. And it was always football season, or the start of school maybe, but it was getting cooler when we would notice her. Jerrica's dad never saw her, but I saw her three different times. The third time was just a glimpse of her in the hallway going from left to right, bedroom to bedroom. Jerrica's dad and I both would see a shadow go from Jerrica's room to our room just about every night during that time period. She wasn't clear all the time. The second and third times I saw her weren't anywhere near as clear as the first time.

I hated hearing her cry. She sobbed. It was heartbreaking. All she wanted was her mommy. And I didn't know how to help her. Then when winter came around, we wouldn't hear her again until late August, early September of the next year. Jerrica's dad never heard the little girl again after I left.

I would tell you what we experienced was a residual haunting, but there is more to this story. It's just too long to submit as one. Can a residual haunting also be an intelligent haunting?

Other hauntings by Miracles51031

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Miracles51031, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
7 years ago (2017-06-24)
Again, MAS, thanks for reading and commenting. My kids are my life and experience a lot of the things when I did so it's only right to include them ❤
MAS814 (6 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-06-24)
What I've got so far from your stories, you are loving and caring mother all your previous and also this one revolves around your children. 😁 😁 ❤
BTW really interesting story
vidya_amani (2 stories) (78 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-22)
I read a story once about a little girl being haunted from seven years old by a little girl who called her "mommy" always calling her and once saying "mommy I have found you" as she climbed into the bed with the the girl and hugged her. When she was 13 years old she went to a psychic and the psychic told her that the spirit of the little girl would be her future daughter once she gets kids. I know that souls can attach to certain people and families, maybe this little girl followed you (and your daughter) and could incarnate as maybe a grand daughter or daughter of your daughter. It seems as if though the little girl was connected with your daughter speaking through her - definitely an intelligent "haunting".

I wonder sometimes if some spirits incarnate together from the light, or that if others stay earth bound waiting for others to incarnate... And then going with the spirits they've been waiting for.

Just a theory...
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-09-21)
sallycharters - thank you for reading my story. There are actually 2 more parts to this story, if you're interested. Out of all my experiences, this is the one that was most heart-breaking and, at the same time, the most touching.

Again, thank you for reading and commenting. I truly appreciate it 😊
sallycharters (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
reading your story is really interesting, I think what you've experienced is touching, you wanted to help her. That's so sweet ❤
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-04)
That sux I missed out on all that fun what am I like a day ahead of the US or something, this must have happened early saturday morning for me wich would have been the 2nd of April hahaa ohwell! 😢
hippiechick83 (5 stories) (112 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-04-01)
I totally hope YGS does this every year! Maybe next year it will be bears and tigers in place of spirits and clowns. LOL It's probably because I have no life, but I think this is the funniest thing ever. 😆
aya22 (guest)
+3
13 years ago (2011-04-01)
This is my favorite day to be on YGS! I'm glad we all have a great sense of humor! LOL 😆 😆 😆
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
13 years ago (2011-04-01)
Cosmogal - I gave up even trying to be serious today. I hope and pray no one really needs help today. It's just impossible to figure out wth is going on, even on my own stories! Oh, I needed this so much!

Whoever it is that has an evil streak this wide, bless your heart! 😆
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-04-01)
Oh my goodness, I just tried to post a serious comment on someone's story and it turned into a mad libs comic. LOL! I hope the poster doesn't read it until tomorrow. 😐 😆
hippiechick83 (5 stories) (112 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-01)
This is like the funniest thing ever! OMG, I can't help it... I can't stop laughing at the comments. Hahahha I know, I'm easily amused... But I had to say clown one time. 😆
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-04-01)
Can somebody tell me how they possibly are able to fit that many clowns into one tiny car?
AND...Why don't we ever here about them getting busted at the border?
😆 😆 😆
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-01)
Oh ok. I remember it is April Fools Day. I really thought I was going crazy! Seeing things! LOL
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-04-01)
Javelina - there is going to be absolutely no seriousness on this site today, is there? 😆 Throw the oneliners out here, someone's going to find them funny! Tomorrow they might look a little bit different, but today? WTH!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-01)
zzgranny,
That is going to be stuck in my head all day.
I just keep repeating dorky one-liners to myself and they aren't as funny as I'd hoped.

So you're a clown huh? Can you fart balloons?

A mime is just a pretentious clown who ran out of red lipstick.

Are clowns allowed to juggle babies?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-01)
ChickenTenders - the only relevance was to show that I knew for a fact that the little girl standing in the bathroom was not my daughter.

Thanks for reading my story and if you have any other questions, I'll be more than happy to answer them.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-01)
Sorry, Miracles but I have got to try this:

Demon, ghost, spirit, purple pants
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+6
13 years ago (2011-04-01)
OMG...This is so funny...C'mon, everybody sing!...

Don't you love farce?
My fault I fear.
I thought that you'd want what I want.
Sorry, my dear.
But where are the clowns?
Quick, send in the clowns.
Don't bother, they're here.

Where's Lou when you need him?... 😆 😆 😆
ChickenTenders22 (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-01)
Thank you for posting this Miracles51031. I have a quick question, why was the Mickey and Minnie sweater relevant? Or do you explain why in part 2? I'm waiting to read part 2 with my niece tomorrow. Can't wait!
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-31)
hmmm...Hard to say. The old saying "Perception is reality" comes to mind. Do ghosts percieve reality differently once earthly limtations no longer apply? They may have a lot to learn in decipering things. Maybe this is why they seek the familiar. It could explain why they behave erraticly when their homes are remodeled. Maybe angry ghosts are really frustrated ghosts. So I guess they can but not as easily as when they lived.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-31)
When I think about this is also bordering along the lines on wether or not these ghosts actually still grow physically with age! Have I started something here? Lol 😁
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-30)
510mot: No! Don't hurt me! 😆...

This is a pretty good discussion... I think your input would be very interesting... Read down a ways...We're discussing whether very young child spirits have the ability to learn to read and write... ❤
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-30)
Did someone say ouija board? I was slumbering most soundly when I heard the ouijalarm go off. Seriously, who must I give the standard cautionary tale to?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-30)
Granny - no Sesame Street, but when we moved here Dalton was in 1st grade and his games (Leapster) were all learning games. Those are wonderful games for kids, so I think it would be safe to say a ghost child can learn them the same way Dalton did.

Just a side note: Dalton taught himself how to add and subtract with the Leapster when he was 4. So, yeah, I think it's definitely a possibility the children can learn.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-30)
I have been relieved of my karma-giving power for the day. I will have to come back bright and early and do my duty! (psst...I was bad and spent all of them in just a few minutes 😆). Who do I talk to? I need to be able to vote more!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-03-30)
DARKNESS: I see your point, too, and in some areas like math I can understand the need for actually teaching...But, they can learn a lot by watching the same tv shows our kids do... Like Sesame Street and others...Miracles, do let your ghostie baby watch Bert and Ernie, and the Veggie (AKA Cookie) Monster? 😆
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-30)
Granny geez how dare you use a Ouija Board how many times have we told you! 😆 Sorry couldn't help myself, someone had to do it lol 😆 ❤
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-30)
Oh I completely agree with you all I just can't get my head around a child ghost learning how to read or do mathmatics without guidance? 😕 Of course there are things you learn yourself it is the other more intricate things that stump me? Maybe that's why I brought up the reading your thoughts theory for the more difficult areas? Ahhh geez me head is turning to slush! Lol 😆
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-30)
Well, in some of my Ouija board experiences (no! Don't hurt me! 😆) I've noticed that child spirits commonly mis-spell a lot...But, I think that yes, they do have the mental capacity to learn the three R's...They're "intelligent" haunts, after all... They will find a way to communicate if they desire to do so, and if all other attempts have been futile... Since we don't know a lot about the time restraints for spirits or even if there are any, it may be possible for them to achieve in a week what may take a mortal child a month or more to learn...

PS: Ouija-long time ago!...Really, don't hurt me! 😆
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-03-30)
DARKNESS - I completely forgot about the staircase CDs 😆. You're right about the reading minds thing, of course. But I do think they can learn. Just thoughts that have been flowing through my brain 😆.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: