You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Shadow By The Door

Real Ghost Stories

The Shadow By The Door

 

First off I want to say I will not fully explain the layout of the place where this happens. I work at a jail in Alabama and I'm going to leave it at that to protect me and my fellow officers. I started working at the jail almost 6 months ago. I enjoy my job and I take some pride in what I do. Think of a flower with the petals being different section and the center is the control tower. We monitor the different section from the windows and there is a small walkway that goes around the tower so you may get closer look. The walkway is the only way into the tower and there are reflective mirrors so you can look below the tower without leaving.

I work 2nd shift which is from 7 pm to 7 am, which is good because we don't get many problems because the inmates are sleeping but it's kind of boring sometimes. I was in tower my first night and my training officer went to the bathroom, leaving me alone. I was walking around the tower and looking into the sections and noticed a shadow passed the door. I buzzed the door thinking it was my training officer, but no one opened the door. I heard him call on the radio all the way across the jail for someone to find a key to the lobby. I looked up at the mirror to see if someone was hiding, but no one was there. I thought it was the shift messing with the new guy but no one was there.

This happened at least once every 3 or 4 weeks. I didn't think much of it because you're in a small room for 12 hours with no one around you start to see things sometimes out of the corner of your eyes. I kept seeing it however. Some nights I would just stare at the door watching it or walk to the door and stare outside just trying to catch someone, but I never saw anything. Finally I started asking around and apparently an inmate had hung himself because his girlfriend cheated on him and he had found out in a letter. I eventually found out from other officers that they had seen the same thing and was a regular occurrence.

I thought it was always cool when "he" walked by. A shadowy type person who must be tall because he took up some of the window on the door. I never thought he would be a problem until I started seeing him more and more. It was at the jail but I also saw him at other places. It was only when I'm with my girlfriend, who is also another officer. We don't really show it at work to protect ourselves, but every time I'm with her I feel like someone is watching me, mainly in the jail. Is this normal for ghosts? I do believe in ghosts, but I've never had to deal with anything like this.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Alabama

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BigWillie77, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

emb1983 (2 stories) (19 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-08)
I'd say don't show any fear or even acknowledge him for that matter. All that does is give him more energy which may make him more likely to interact with you. Those are just my thoughts, I'm no expert. Good luck to you!
SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-08)
Honestly, (having worked ina prison over seas) the suicide rate in prisons is rather high. Unless the spirit is hostile toward you and/or other guards, I'd say leave it be. You can try to talk to it, or just tell it to go away. I have heard rock salt at windows/doorways prevents spirits from getting in/out of the area as long as the salt is there. I don't know how much, but just an idea if it's hostile. I have heard about spirits of inmates attempting to kill guards by pushing them over railings to the floor (s) below. As long as you don't feel threatened nor does your wife, I'd say leave well enough alone. You can try whatever your religion (if you have one) suggests. Maybe talk to some of the guards you have gotten to know and find out if they have seen anything like what you have. If they say they have seen something, try to get them to explain it before you express what you saw since it might be some well set up prank. As for outside the prison, all I can say is keep your wits about you.
BigWillie77 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-07)
Thanks, how should I deal with this? I've noticed that things usually get worse if you leave them be.
emb1983 (2 stories) (19 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-06)
I've heard that people who committ suicide never rest when they die because God figures if you thought life was so bad that you felt the need to end it, you're stuck here for eternity to suffer. His soul is probably angry, restless & full of resentment because his girlfriend cheated and seeing you 2 together sort of brings back that negative energy. Who knows? Just a thought. Good story though, thanks for sharing!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: