You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted Dorm

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Dorm

 

When I visited for the first time the Bible College I would be attending in the fall of 2002 I was thrilled to be in such a beautiful place on a campus with such history and character. The beginning of my first semester was great... I loved the school, my professors and new friends. A couple weeks into the school year I realized if I wanted to go on midnight runs to Taco Bell and spontaneous road trips to the beach I needed to get a job. So, I started working in the school's dining hall. It was a tedious, somewhat gross job but I stuck with it. I worked the evening shift and so that meant cleaning up after dinner and preparing the kitchen for the next morning. The job also entailed taking out all the garbage... This is when I first saw the tunnels.

Seeing the dark, spooky tunnels I knew that the school had a lot more history than what I thought. I asked my manager about the tunnels and she told me that the school used to be an old tuberculosis hospital and when the disease was at its height people in the hospital were dying by the day. To keep the spirits up of the patients, nurses and doctors built tunnels stretching from building to building to wheel corpses to the morgue without them being seen. Having not had any paranormal experience at the school and not wanting to have any I refused to take the garbage out through the tunnels. But that didn't matter... The tunnels weren't the only place on campus with a history. In fact I found out that the dorm I was staying in was the actual hospital!

Before I found out about the school's tragic history strange things would happen like loud bangs or cracks in the middle of the night, the feeling of being watched down in the basement laundry room and other odd but uneventful things that I chalked up to the building being so old. But, after I heard about what the school used to be those strange occurrences seemed to make more sense. I asked some of my friends if they had ever encountered anything strange in the dorm and they had some very interesting stories of sink taps turning on and off, toilets flushing and electric toothbrushes being turned on by themselves. Finding all these stories quite fascinating and entertaining, as any good college student would, my friends and I made movies about the "troll" that haunted our dorm.

One day I was leaving the dorm to head to class and for some reason I went out the main entrance rather than the back door that I usually went in and out of. The building was a two storey L-shaped building. The main entrance was on the bottom short part of the L and it had floor to ceiling windows that went up to the second story. In the middle of the glass wall were to large glass doors. When I went to push the glass door open it wouldn't budge. I pushed, I pulled and it wouldn't move. In between the two doors was about a half inch crack in which you could see if the dead bolt were secured... It was not. The door wasn't locked and there was obviously no one on the other side holding it closed because it was glass. After about 30 seconds I saw two of my friends coming up the walk way toward the door... I motioned to them that the door wasn't opening and they just laughed at my efforts to open it. I am pretty sure they thought I was just fooling around. Again, I pushed and pulled but the door wouldn't budge. When my friends reached the door from outside one of them grabbed the handle to the door and opened it with ease. Needless to say I was dumbfounded... I had no explanation for this strange experience! Also, I never used that entrance again!

Other hauntings by Shellerbell

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oregon

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Shellerbell, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

schoolspirits (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-07)
Shellerbell - would you be interested in talking to Syfy network about your experience? If so, see info below and please contact us...

Casting Students and Alumni who have had haunted campus experiences

Jarrett Creative Group and the Syfy cable TV network are seeking high school and college age students as well as alumni who have come face to face with paranormal activity on their school campuses. If you have witnessed a first hand experience with ghosts, hauntings or other unexplained phenomena in your classrooms... In your dorm... In locker rooms or on athletic fields... We may want to tell your story and recreate it on television. We are interested in hearing stories from students current and past as well as from any parents or faculty.

If you are someone you know has a story to tell, and you are at least 16 years old, please e-mail us at schoolspirits2011 [at] gmail.com with your contact info and a brief summary of your experiences. Any questions can be directed to 917-475-1411.
Shellerbell (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-19)
Goatkiddie,

Thanks for commenting. The tunnels were made with what looked like concrete or cement. They were dark, wet and smelled moldy and musty. I never went further than about two steps into them but I would love to explore them now. There are also tunnels in a lot of big cities... Portland and Seattle are two I know for sure. I live in the bay area of California now and will have to do some research to see if San Francisco has any!
hope4ever (4 stories) (75 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-04-11)
Many times old building such as that one are changed into colleges because they are built to last. And with it having such a gruesome history to it, I have no doubts that it is haunted.

Thanks for sharing the memory!

PS I put memory because story sounds like its made up, and I know its not.
goatkiddie (3 stories) (14 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-10)
To be honest I love those type of true stories and the part that got me the most was the tunnels I mean were they made of stone and how did the smell?
Shellerbell (2 stories) (8 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-04-09)
Robertar,

Thanks for commenting. The tunnels weren't built by the doctors and nurses... That was some sort of change made in the story.

Does anyone know if the folks edit stories before allowing them to be posted because in this post in particular several changes were made... For example when I talk about sinks turning on and of someone added the word taps (I never wrote that)...and the change of the docs and nurses building the tunnels. What I wrote is that the tunnels were build to keep the spirits up of the patients, docs and nurses. Anyhow, kind of weird.

The school is in Salem, Oregon. It is on the outskirts of the city and is surrounded by three prisons...lol...that made things even more interesting!

I am happy to hear your uncle survived...

Blessings to you!
robertar (223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-09)
what city is this?

Building tunnels-Sounds like a lot of work, especially for nurses and docs, to do to keep up patient morale.

My great uncle was in such a TB sanatorium when young but survived.

P.S. Most of the bible story is a paranormal experience.
Shellerbell (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-09)
Hi Arc-en Ciel,

Thanks for your comments. I have seen many documentary programs about the hauntings at Waverly Hills. Have you ever been there?

I love finding out the history of old buildings. In a few weeks I'll be moving into a house that was built in 1920. The house next door was built in 1890 and the garages in the back of my home were actually the horse stables to the home next door built in 1890.

Needless to say I am looking forward to it!
Arc-en-Ciel (31 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-09)
Hi!
Thx for sharing your story!
The school you attend is an interesting place =D

The description you gave reminds me of the Waverly Hills Sanatorium. It used to be a hospital back in 1910, but nowadays the building is empty. It is famous for being one of the most haunted place...

=)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: