You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Ship Creek Power Plant

Real Ghost Stories

Ship Creek Power Plant

 

I commute from Wasilla to Anchorage five days a week for my job. Depending on traffic and whether it can take anywhere from 45 to 90 minutes to get to work. I'm usually out of the door between 7 - 7:15 in the morning.

This was one of those mornings where I was feeling draggy and had acquired a cold chai breve before getting on the highway and driving to Anchorage. On the way to Anchorage from the Mat-Su Valley, there are a few landmarks that are used to mark one's passage. One of them is the steam power plant just before Ship Creek, near the Army base.

On this morning I had sucked down about half of my chai drink on my way into town, had the cold air vents in my car aimed in my face and was enjoying the summer sun that was already up. I had just rounded the last curve before the power plant and saw something that chilled me to the bone.

A man wearing a blue button-down dress shirt and khaki slacks was crossing the incoming traffic from the median. I could see his dark hair was short with a little wave to it. His hands were stuffed in the pockets of his pants, his eyes downcast. Somehow he managed to cross the first two lanes that were full of morning traffic without getting hit, and no one was slowing down for him either. I had the briefest flash of thought that he didn't care about his life if he could cross traffic like that without looking, especially in morning rush hour, and that the others on the road must have no regard for human life if they weren't going to slow down for him. I was in the right hand lane, third and final from the median. I set my foot on my brakes and started to apply them as I saw the gentleman was just a couple of steps from my lane and then he was gone.

I almost had a panic attack. I checked my rear view mirrors as I drove over the spot where the guy should have been, to make sure that I hadn't somehow run him over, or that someone else hadn't hit him and sent him flying over me. There was nothing. No flash of blue, no cars screeching to a halt, nothing.

Then it occurred to me that not only had that guy crossed traffic without getting hit, it almost seemed like he had somehow avoided the fast-moving vehicles. He had passed directly in front of or behind them without a single one touching him or vice versa. Then as he was ready to step foot into my line of travel, he disappeared. Then I knew what it was. It was a ghost of some kind.

I told the story a few times as a "that's freaky" kind of thing. No one took me seriously until a Native American gentleman started working here. He and his wife had moved up from Washington so that he could take the job of mechanic in my building. As they live out in the Valley, I would sometimes take him home with me. We got to talking and when I told him my story, he got a funny look on his face and told me that he had seen the guy in blue too, but on the other side of the highway, walking along the edge of it.

My co-worker has had several paranormal experiences, so I know he wasn't just trying to keep the crazy lady driving him home happy. He's verified a few other things for me, so I know he's not loony tunes either.

Thoughts?

Comments?

Have any other Alaskans seen this particular thing?

Other hauntings by dragonwalker

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, dragonwalker, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Bris (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-16)
I know the stretch of high way your are talking about - I am from Palmer and commuted to UAA four days a week for three years. I think what people are missing is that this is one of the deadliest highways in the nation. Moose, ice, and so on. The odds are very good that a dozen or more people have met untimely deaths at that area - traffic sort of bottles the closer you get to Anchorage, and that steam plant is how I know I am getting close to the city. I saw a dump truck hit a car in eye sight of that planet just last year, even.

The bases there - there are two not just one - have had all sorts of tragedy. The downed aircraft just a year ago springs to mind, immediately.

I will also agree on two accounts: it is far from anything a person should be walking from. Impossible to cross that partsof the road at almost any time, and highly illegal. The police are really quick to grab you if they catch you walking along the highway, and the troopers are running through constantly.

I have never seen the man, but I will keep an eye out in the future.
quixoticqt (5 stories) (104 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-26)
I believe that yes human spirits take their previous form not to different from their physical form after they die and some of them get stuck in the in-between. Something tragic and swift happened to them when they died and they think there still human but not. SO they linger around to where they died and stay stuck in some in between routine. Either that or they were evil in their human life and are to afraid to face a judgment.
To everyone who thinks someone "deserves" to go to hell or "deserves" to go to heaven, you'll find it quite bizarre who makes it to heaven and who makes it to hell.
Example: Gilles de Rais. I know this may be contradicting because no one can prove he did it and if he did it at all but at the end of his life if he did mean with all of his heart that he believed in Jesus and truely ment that he was sorry, then you'll find a sick perverted man in heaven as much as I disapprove of it myself.

Qt
Walter_R (1 stories) (81 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2011-04-26)
To: dragonwalker,

Yes there are sprits, but I believe all sprits go to either Heaven or hell, so the ghost (s) we are seeing on earth, I believe are demons pretending to be used to be humans. I believe the demon (s) will go where people have died in strange ways and they will try and live out the lives of these people that used to live there in like, say a house or a building or the land like the guy walking near the highway.

I also believe Angels can walk around the earth, but what most people think are ghosts I believe are really demons or they can be an Angel too, but only if they are
Doing good things.

Oh yeah that highway was made after 1964 I know that.

Take care,

Walter
😁 ❤
dragonwalker (5 stories) (77 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-25)
Walter, LOL. If I believe in one, I kind of have to believe in the other, right? I mean, if we're going to go all demons and angels then we can do ghosts because back in the day, Saul had someone drag up the spirit of the prophet Samuel. 😊 I'm not sure exactly how long that portion of highway has been there, but at this point, I think the time of the making of the road is superfluous to the incident itself. Thanks for the insight!
Walter_R (1 stories) (81 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2011-04-12)
Well I think all of you are wrong, I just think it's a demon out to cause trouble with us humans. He is out to scarr people that's all, there isn't any history of him, because he has never been a human. The hyway has been there a long time, you don't need to look up when it was made because it doesn't matter.

Next time you see him just hit him with your car, well maybe not he might make a mess of your car. You know how mad demons can get.

Take care,

Walter 😁
dragonwalker (5 stories) (77 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-22)
James - His clothing was recent-ish. As in, something I see other men in semi-professional appearance wear today. That piece of the highway has been there a while, so... Not really sure. It's kind of looking like I might need to really do some digging. As I mentioned before, I'm thinking it's an intelligent haunt, due to the fact that my friend saw him on the other side of the highway (across the median, another three lanes of traffic and on the shoulder). Given the clothes and his locations, I don't think he's on a loop, like a residual might be.

Vulcan - actually, if it turns out that I wander afterwards, there's a few people I'd like to put the fear of me into... All in the name of good fun, of course... 🤔 (insert evil smiley here)

Granny - I wish I knew... Really. My feelings on it atm are that he lost the engagement ring he was going to propose with... Kind of a convoluted story on why I think that, but... Merf. Now I HAVE to know... LOL

Thanks for the encouragement on this one guys.
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-22)
Yes granny I'd be glad to tag along for a while since we'll have all eternity to do and see and experience. When I think of it, it doesn't create dread or fear really, more like high expectations and the thrill of the unknown.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-04-21)
Dragonwalker--Just to add my 2 cents, I wondered if you could date the period of the man's clothing since he was so close you could describe his hair.
Could he be, say, from the 1950s or 60s?
Was the highway there then?
A lot of conjecture seems based on the fact he was crossing the highway as it is today. Also, that he died in the spot or vicinity. Maybe it was a different topography which he liked to walk when he was, say, simply thinking. Maybe it's not his death site at all but he's simply visiting for other reasons.
With no other evidence or occurrence, you have a limited number of records which might lead you somewhere if you choose.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-04-21)
dragon walker: I would have to agree that he's probably looking for something... Maybe an accident, or he ran out of gas, or his car broke down and he got hit in the process of walking to find help... Happens a lot here in Nevada... So maybe he's looking for his car, or a loved one that he left with the car?...

Vulcan, I'm with you!...Moonshadow and I are going to meet up and fly around on the wind scaring the bejeezus out of everybody that pissed us off in this life 😆... Wanna come? ❤
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-21)
err well this could be tedious but perhaps looking through old newspaper clippings (a la the library) for accidents on that stretch.

If you do venture out with your co-worker friend be careful. Make sure you're not trespassing or something. Keep us posted if anything new happens
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-21)
My vote is that it must have been a traffic accident, or maybe a loved one of his had one there and he has since passed on. He sounds to well dressed to be a hitchhiker. At least not the ones we have around here. As to why a ghost, if that is what he is, would hang around a spot is beyond me. The person of whom they search is no longer there, and so what if I died there that's even more of a reason for me not to want to hang out there. But who knows how a ghost thinks. I've heard some say,"they don't know they're dead", if someday I'm walking around someplace and don't know how I got there and no one can see me or hear me and I can walk through stuff, I guarantee you I'll make the assumption that I am dead and go kicking up my heels around the universe.
dragonwalker (5 stories) (77 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-21)
Hobbyholly, I'm not really sure how to dig for the information I need here. My friend told me he got the impression that this guy was looking for something. That would make sense. It didn't seem... How do I put this? Considering the circumstances, I'm thinking it was more intelligent than residual.
Deviousangel, I wish I knew. Like I mentioned to hobby above, I don't know how to dig, really. Alive people I can look for. Records for ghosts, not so much. LOL.
If you guys have any suggestions, please, feel free to share. Also, thanks for the compliment on the story!
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-21)
I'm going with Holly on this one. It might be someone who was involved in a traffic accident there on the highway, or possibly a hitchhiker who never made it home (or to wherever he was going). Your story was very well-written and I enjoyed reading it!
dragonwalker (5 stories) (77 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-21)
I would have to say not so much with the lucky man crossing traffic. It's three lanes full of vehicles going 50 to roughly 70 or 75 mph. Morning rush hour traffic. Which means he wouldn't have had a chance. And during rush hour traffic, a lot of these people are (and were at the time) right up the tailpipe of the person in front of them. So he wouldn't have had room. And then there's the fact that he just... Disappeared in front of me. I checked the news and no reports of bodies were mentioned that day. I've never seen him again - this happened just last summer. Am thinking about dragging my coworker out there with me to look for him.
Will check that link you posted - Thanks for that! 😁
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-21)
Also:
Just for giggles I googled "Ship Creek, Alaska,hauntings". It took me to the ever so popular Shadowlands website. Under Anchorage they do list a "haunting" for Ship Creek.

Although it doesn't match your story, I thought you might be interested.

Here is the link: http://theshadowlands.net/places/alaska.htm
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-21)
First: refreshing story. Going to the favorites.

Have you seen this man again? Do you think he once worked at the Steam power plant? Or was involved with the military base you mentioned?

Common sense would say it is some very lucky person crossing traffic. But I'm going against my common sense and say possibly paranormal.

I guess you could look up if there were any accidents in that area (although that would take quite the research).

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: