You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Lonely Drive At Night

Real Ghost Stories

Lonely Drive At Night

 

As with all grandparents you hear a lot of stories, often very interesting. My grandpa told me this very odd experience a while ago and thought I'd share it with you.

This sounds cheesy and cliché, but this story does indeed begin on a dark and stormy night. Back in the 1970s I think it was, my granddad was driving through the Kentish countryside (in south-east England). It was raining very heavily. He rounded a blind sharp corner in his car and was shocked to see that someone had broken down right on the apex of the corner, and so he had to suddenly stop right behind the stranded car. The bonnet of the broken down car was up, and by the looks of things could not move under its own power. My grandpa realized this and so got out and shouted that he would help push the car to a safe place on the road, but first would have to move his own car away from the dangerous corner. My grandpa got in his car, moved it to a safe place, got out and to his astonishment the broken down car had vanished into thin air, all in a space of seconds! My granddad was on that road all on his own, in the dark and in the rain.

My granddad would have seen the car drive away because of the headlights and rearview mirrors. All my granddad did was literally look away for perhaps 10 seconds while he parked up his car.

A few extra interesting details of the experience- the man never spoke a word, he wore a full length coat and hat, and the hat obscured his face. Also the broken down car looked old.

The experience sounds like my granddad experienced a residual ghost perhaps, or was caught in a cyclic event. Any info or opinions would be appreciated.

As a bit of information of where I live, Kent is in fact one of the most haunted areas of the UK, and if any of you have heard of the Bluebell Hill ghost on the A229 (one of the most haunted roads in the world according to some) I live about 10 minutes from it and plan to drive along there during the night when the road is at its most "active".

Thanks for reading and I may post some more true stories of the area where I live (there's loads of them!)

Other hauntings by Jammydodgerman

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jammydodgerman, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ryann-judith (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-29)
The same thing happened to my dad a long time ago... But we live no where near the UK 😁
Pete16 (2 stories) (49 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-28)
Jammy, we'd love to hear more true stories of Kent. That's what we're here for! 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: