You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Bedside Lady

Real Ghost Stories

Bedside Lady

 

I was four years old. I'd had a nightmare and had crawled into my mom's bed because I was scared. As my mom snored softly beside me, I was freaking out at every shadow that passed by the window. My nightmare had made me scared of every little thing. I heard a noise come from the roof, like a tree branch dropping onto it and I squeezed my eyes shut, my body shaking.

I opened my eyes again because I thought I heard my mom wake up. But she was still sleeping, her chest rising and falling rhythmically. I heard a rustling sound on my right and I turned my head over until I was staring straight at a woman. She had dark skin and was wearing old-timey clothes, like from early America days. She was staring at the telephone on the bedside table, confused by it. She extended her finger to touch it, but it was like she got scared right before she touched it and she pulled her hand back again. I guess I must have made a noise, squeaked or something, because she looked up at me. I was shaking again and I couldn't focus. I do remember her face looking scared, her black eyes staring at me just as she disappeared. My heart pounded and I crawled under the covers, where I eventually fell asleep.

I've always maintained that I really did see a ghost, or something of the sort, though a lot of people told me I was probably just having another nightmare. My mom has always believed me though, and we lived in an old house (close to 100 years) at the time, so she thinks it's possible that there really were spirits inhabiting it. No matter what it was, it's still a fun story to tell on Halloween.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, merrysunshine, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

scribbl3r (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-05)
That's awesome! And kind of cute that she was perplexed by the telephone. 😊 I think no matter what, any one who comes face to face with a ghost is caught off guard and frightened, at least for that moment. She probably had no idea you saw her until the last second. Regardless, she seemed friendly enough. Just curious. Has she stopped by since? 😊
amk86 (2 stories) (21 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
[at] elculver...
Studies have been done that show children can start to develop memeories as early as 18 months old. I learned this in my child psycology class on child development. So 4 years olds can ABSOLUTLEY have memories.
amk86 (2 stories) (21 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
Children are VERY sensitive to the spiritual world. It goes away as we get older. My little sister saw ghosts at our old house when we were little but now she NEVER has anything happen to her anymore... Even though I still do.
fatthead (1 stories) (55 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-03)
yes I agree good one to be told on haloween its hard to beleave people can remember so young I guess traumatic things help one to remember
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-02)
Wow. Your memory is INCREDIBLE. That is awesome. I can only WISH that I could remember anything that clearly from that age (You, too, mrsmla4ever. I mean, TWO? Wow.) Of course, I am a BIT more passed that than you, so...
And yes, I DID mean that in complete honesty.
Anyway.
Was this the only time you recall having seen this woman?
Wa-do.
mrsmla4ever (3 stories) (53 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-30)
elculver~

Not to create an argument with you but I would like to dispute your claim that 4 year olds have bad memories. I personally have memories from the age of 2 which have been confirmed by my parents. It is not safe to say that merrysunshine did not in fact experience something paranormal.

Merrysunshine~

What a scary experience for a 4 year old whether or not it was paranormal, time displacement, or a dream. Thank goodness for blankets. I'm 25 years old and scared of the dark. I still have to snuggle into my comforter in order to fall asleep. 😉
elculver (1 stories) (5 posts)
-1
14 years ago (2010-04-29)
I find it hard to believe this since you were 4 years old. Typically, people don't remember exact things that happened when they were that young. I think you WANT to believe that it was true, but a 4 year old's mind can create many strange things in it's imagination. (Not to mention you had just had a nightmare) I don't think this was anything paranormal.
MissSensitive (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-28)
You're so susceptible to spiritual things whenever you're young. It's amazing.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-28)
Or perhaps both of you were caught in a time displacement...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: