You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: The Pub And Its Ghosts

Real Ghost Stories

The Pub And Its Ghosts

 

So being almost 17 now, I know that I haven't written an account for a long time. Why? Well, I have had a lot of exams and skating, but I also have a job, which makes me kind of glad that I waited, and I hope you will be glad of the wait to.

So, I work in a pub as a waitress. This pub is "The Bell Inn" which is in FINEDON not ADDINGTON or any other Bell Inns! It is the oldest pub in England with a reputed license since the 1020 or something in the 1000's, so you can expect that there would be a lot of ghosts. Personally, I don't go around telling people I am kind of a ghost hunter, because I would imagine some people would think it was weird, right? Anyway, I am a big believer in fate, and trust me, I am very stubborn. So when I was desperate for a job, I was going through the Yellow Pages, searching online and asking everyone that I knew, even though my parents told me to stop. But I kept going and going and came across the Bell Inn, and had never ever been there before and me, being me, jumped at the job and worked from the next day.

On arrival, the pub from the outside doesn't actually look that good or big. However, when you open the door, you will be thrust into history and could easily get lost. There are two entrances, and throughout this 'story' I will be talking about the car park entrance, which takes you, straight into the front bar. Standing behind the bar, there is another bar to your left, and to your right, so the wooden bar makes a kind of 'U' shape, and where there is no bar directly behind you, there is a door, which has a passageway with three doors; one for the owner's house, one for the kitchen and the other to the cellar. In the kitchen, there is another door, and when you open it, there are two rooms either side of you. One is the old barn (a spare dining room) and the other is the main dining room. There is a small flight of stairs at the end of this main dining room which takes you down to the left side bar and then you simply follow the carpet round to the front bar and so on. Now, customers are not allowed in the passageway leading to the kitchen/house/cellar etc. Now that's out of the way, I can begin, because those features are very important.

So, a few weeks into my job, we have no customers for the first hour, so me and the owners (call them Jane and Derrick) get talking. Jane and Derrick are the nicest people you will ever meet, and to be honest, I had no idea that they were into ghosts and such. However, into our conversation, Jane mentions that they have had ghost hunters and paranormal researchers into the pub because of its haunted past, and they found the following;

"Two children, a boy and a girl, who were no older than 5, who used to live in the house with their family (the house that extends from the pub, where Jane and Derrick live, has a massive 10 bedrooms!) and their mother was a Duchess (not sure what of, but they believed that the Duchess' husband was a landlord). They call Jane 'the Duchess' apparently and they play upstairs and out in the passageway (which kind of explains the footsteps we always here) " and "A woman who likes to stand out by the girls bathrooms (the bathrooms are to the entrance), nice and tall in the corner, but she sometimes wonders about the bathrooms and likes the smell of the flowers Jane puts in there," and "an old monk who travels through the pub from time to time and who likes to explore" and they also captured a load of orbs on film and on pictures and stuff.

After finding this out, Jane then went on to tell me her experiences with the paranormal at the pub, which are the following;

"Whilst cleaning in the kitchen one night, I went out into the old barn to put something away. When I turned around, there was a monk staring at me in the window. He must have been quite short, because I could only see his head. He was pale and staring at me, not moving and remained there for a couple of minutes, and then, the next moment, he was gone," and "one night when I was sitting in the bar with the customers, the room suddenly went cold and there was a man standing at the bar, totally out of period. It was definitely a ghost. He wore a black tall hat and a black coat, and was drinking from an empty bear glass and had a big bushy beard. Everyone I asked couldn't see him, and when I looked again, he was gone" and they have heard so many noises in the day and night etc.

Apart from Jane and Derrick, the customers have had a lot of experience to. On Saturday nights when I used to work, there were customers coming up to us and asking us if we had ghosts, and the man I was working with at the time (David) and I said yes, and then the customers would tell us of the man with a beard that Jane had saw, and sometimes even the monk. No one has yet seen the children or the lady by the bathroom, but the bathroom door will open and then slam shut some nights, scaring us all!

Now for my experiences at the fabulous pub! I can't remember the order of which they happened, but here I go. The one that scared me the most was when I was in the kitchen on a Saturday night. It was about 9pm and there were a few customers in the front bar and no one in the dining room or old barn (the old barn is off limits on Saturdays and dining room had no one eating because we don't serve food after 8:30pm) and Jane and Derrick were in their house, David was in the bar. Simply washing dishes, I heard a knock on the door leading to the old barn, which is heavy and wooden, so it was loud and made me jump. I turned around, and there was no one there, but it knocked again and again. I got nearer to the door (it has a key in a lock in it, and you can't even tell there is a lock/key from the other side of the door) and all of a sudden, the key began to turn and it clicked as it became unlocked, and then the key and door handle jangled around for about 30 seconds, and there was more banging on the door, but softer. I was so scared, and when it stopped, I locked the door, and the key was freezing cold. It took me a while, but I gradually unlocked the door and went out in the old barn, but there was nothing there, but the room was freezing.

The old barn is by far the creepiest place in the pub. It was kept as a barn for ages before it was converted into a room in the pub, so I don't know what went on and that. However, there is something about it that makes shivers goes down my spine, and I constantly feel like I am being watched. Luckily, as I don't work on Saturdays any more, I don't have to deal with the old barn much! But when I used to work there, I would hear footsteps treading around the fireplace on the concrete floor and things would move past the windows (it's not a very well lit area). Between the dining room and the old barn, there is a wall with two arch ways in it which have like curtains hanging between them. Often, these would move and sometimes shut themselves when they had been left open, or would open themselves after being shut. The lights would also turn themselves on and off (the controls/switches are in the bar area and I cannot reach them) which was a pain because it was a trek to the switches.

Another awful experience was in the main dining room on a Saturday night. I was cleaning the cupboards and it was dark (simply because I had been in there all afternoon and hadn't really moved from that area, so didn't bother going to the lights) and I was on my own. There was no one in the bar apart from Jane, Derrick and David. All of a sudden, there were loud footsteps creeping up the small flight of stairs from the side bar, and they continued up towards me, and then just stopped, and the room went cold.

There are some various other small experiences as well; when in the bar, I have heard footsteps go across the passageway and when I have been out near the cellar, there will be a lot of tapping and clicking, and recently there was the sound of running and then a cold breeze coming past me. The bar doors will slam on their own, as will the kitchen door and bathroom doors. I have been in the bathroom when there is a sudden smell of flowers or something horrible (not just a general toilet smell) and I have been in the loo recently, when I heard the door open, and then the other toilet door open and shut, but when I have finished, there is no evidence of this, and no one has come in/gone out of the toilets. It is also constantly cold in the old barn, and often gets cold in the kitchen, and then becomes really hot. Also in the kitchen and old barn, I have been touched on my arm, which is freaky. There was also the sound of a dog growling once, which was really creepy as there are no dogs in the pub at all. Sometimes if you are in the front bar, you can feel something go round your feet; Jane says this is the children. Things also go missing and don't come back for weeks, and then suddenly reappear! In the house (which I have never been in), there are reports of various shadow figures and footsteps, which can be heard even when everyone is downstairs. Jane says one of the rooms in the house is uncomfortable to be in and things move about in the pub as well.

Yeah, so that's the lovely haunted pub that I work in. Hope that you find this interesting, even though it is a bit long!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, laurenemmam, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

teafortwo1922 (3 stories) (20 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-22)
I think I seen the pub you work for on TV I would so go
Sounded like fun to work for
laurenemmam (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-10)
Hey guys!
Sorry for the delay in replying; took my A levels and am off to university in a week!
The scent thing really amazes me; sometimes, me and my mum think we can smell the really bizarre perfume my nan used to wear. It has a really unusual and striking smell, and it is quite comforting:)
Xxx
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-23)
You know unexplained scents are said to possibly be the arrival of a spirit. I once had a strange incident involving a scent that led me to believe more in reincarnation. Thanks for sharing.
laurenemmam (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-03)
hello:)
Thanks for all the comments!
Sorry, but this pub has never been on Most Haunted:S
I love Ghost Adventures:)
Anyway, following on from the story, I worked there as usual yesterday (sunday) and Jane told me how the other week, after I had left, as she was clearing up, she got smacked on the butt! She turned around an no one was there, as she was in the kitchen, and Derrick was in the house and upstairs in the house. She said it was a proper smack and hurt.
I also had a strange experience there yesterday, I was in the kitchen washing up and it had suddenly gone really cold, and all the hairs on the back of my arm stood up. So, I decided to call out "who's there? If anyone is there please make a sign?" and something knocked on the work surface, and when I asked them to do it again, the knocking sound came again. A few minutes after, the handle on the door began to rattle again. It was scary, it made me jump, but I felt quite peaceful:)
God Bless
Xxxx
zeetha (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-02)
I think I saw the episode of this pub in Most Haunted. Would love to work there too if I could 😊
Pauline329 (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-01)
Hi Laurenemmem,
I'm only up the road in Scotland (ok 400 miles up the road...), but your stories are awesome! I would love to stop by and share those experiences! Sounds like a very interesting place to work!:o)
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-01)
I think it would be a great episode too, and I love those shows. That would be a great job, ghost hunting, and a little ufo follow ups on the side, maybe toss in an oversized foot or two. I don't know anything much about england except the few things I see on tv. I guess there are motels or some place to stay around there just in case a bunch of us showed up one day.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-30)
Great story! This pub sounds awesome. I love places with a lot of history and the way you described it and how long it's been around I'm sure that it is like walking right into the past. 😊 You mentioned that the owners had ghost hunters and paranormal researchers come in to investigate. Have they ever considered contacting Ghost Hunters International, or Ghost Adventures? I think The Bell Inn would turn out to be a great episode. 😉
laurenemmam (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-30)
Hi!
Thanks for all of your really great comments:)
Yes, I am still working at this pub it is incredible!:)
I have only heard voices once, but I couldn't make any thing of it; it was like a hushed whisper. Jane and Derrick hear voices quite a lot though.
I think that you should go over, especially if you want to get rid of your non-beliefs!
If you want to know more, contact me on
What-you-looking-at-99 [at] hotmail.co.uk
God bless
Lauren
Xxxx
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-29)
Hi laurenemmam I enjoyed this story feels as though you are there when you tell it as vulcan mentioned it does sound very Englandy. The history this pub would have seen is tremendous no wonder there are spirits that reside there, do you still work there now?. I was also wondering do you ever hear people talking or conversations when people are not there ie: like residual occurences?

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
chopis (78 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-29)
Well, you got yourself working on a very interesting place 😊, thanks for the story 😊

Cheers,
Claudia
narcissa (4 stories) (77 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-29)
hi...this story was one of the best ones of the recent times...

Where is this pub? I'd, like the others, make a visit there... This sounds so like a possible Portal... And plus I have always been a sceptic so I might get the canhce to rleive some of my scepticism! 😜 ❤
laurenemmam (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-29)
Hi!
No, I don't serve alcohol at the pub because I am not 18. I am only a waitress, and I stand behind the bar because there is no where else to stand and I always have Jane or Derrick with me lol:) if I have to serve, like already said, I have supervision:)
Nope, I didn't know anything about the ghosts in the pub until I was told and I am not scared of no ghosts!;) I did say in my story that I didn't know any of the background until I was told; all I did was ring them up on a saturday, asked for a job, got it, worked the next sunday.
:)
It's such an amazing pub you should all go there, maybe not to drink, but do some sort of ghost hunting thing:) woo!
Xxxx
danny13290 (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-29)
very interesting story, it gave me the shivers. Alcohol can be served by under 18's under an over 18's supervision, plus she did say she was a waitress.
ghostaccelarator (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-28)
you said"It is the oldest pub in England with a reputed license since the 1020 or something in the 1000's, so you can expect that there would be a lot of ghosts"...seems like you have been already thinking a lot about ghosts before working in the pub and watching a lot of stuff like that... Where the old pubs have ghosts and footsteps can be heard... You were already expecting that... Its quite possible that there are fewer cases than you state... And few are created because you have been hearing a lot about ghosts from the other people in the pub... Like when there was a breeze, you felt that someone was around you... But may be you felt that because of the fear inside your heart...
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-28)
Those haunts are all very englandy, but I was just wondering, Your only 16 and you can serve alcohol at a pub? How old do you have to be? And how old do you have to be to drink there?
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-28)
If I ever get out to England, I'll make it a point to go toss back a few pints at your pub.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: