You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Forest Shadow's And Black Dog

Real Ghost Stories

Forest Shadow's And Black Dog

 

A little about myself, I have been sensitive to other presences for as long as I remember, seen the occasional shadow, or brief image. Always able to justify it some way or other. I am not religious and do request not to be thumped with bibles. But I encourage all points of view.

On to the story, it was late summer in northern California. I and my sweetheart S. Had the night off and her children were being watched so I decided to take her to a spot in the hills above berry creek Ca. Where I spent slot of time star gazing, and contemplating. The drive takes you up a dirt and gravel road that leads up to the back side of bald rock but there is an old fire access road with a large clearing that was surrounded by trees. I don't know if it has any influence with what happened afterwards but, after I and S tended to our more basic needs.

We sat on the hood of the car cooling off and talking about future prospects. After a short while I noticed a thick tulle fog had started filling the clearing. I don't scare easily but I got a very distinct 'your in trouble feeling' and the part that unnerved me the most was I got a very distinct feeling that it wasn't me I needed to worry for. S. Picked up on my uncharacteristic uneasiness and suggested we head home for movies. (Preserving my manly don't-get-scared-of-nothing attitude) I of course protested, but if she insisted.

As I got into the car I felt like I was being watched and swore I saw the outline of someone standing in the tree line. Instinctively my anger flared that some pervert had been watching me and m'lady being intimate and challenged the figure at the same time I flicked on my headlights. But no one was there, the feeling of being watched persisted and S. Was looking at me like I was nuts. I started the car and started down the hill. I didn't notice how fast I was driving until S. Grabbed my arm and asked what was wrong, and said I was scarring her. I told her I just needed to get her away from there.

As I came around a corner (the road is almost all curves) we were charged by a large dog. Instinct told me to swerve but my gut told me to stay the course. The dog vanished right in front of the car. S. Never saw the dog, but she later told me she saw the thing that had me so scared. Her description was a human about a foot taller than me (that would make it 7foot) with long stretched arms, wild black hair and a lipless grin. I and S. Are no longer together but I continue to see the dog from time to time. I've never been back to my star gazing place even though I used to go there alone quiet often.

Other hauntings by kardagen

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, kardagen, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

kardagen (2 stories) (161 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-25)
Hey Athena, its possible. Always open to speculation, I've heard of barghast too. If its an omen that ill die I must have gotten the barghast school reject. Because sure isn't doing his job well. Any way. Activity picks up, then dwindles, haven't noticed any pattern to it. Just gotten used to it.
AthenaRules (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-24)
This 'large dog,' was it black? The description of them reminds me of a legendary creature known as the Barghest/Barguest/Bargest. They are like demons, usually associated with death. It is said when you see them, it means you will die soon. Not to be too morbid. Some are said to have the power to change shape, one in particular was known to change shape into a large, black dog, a headless human, a rabbit, a white cat and a few others. So, might it be possible that what you sensed was watching you changed shape into a dog and is now following you?
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-05)
Kardagen, I'm here brother, just laying low keeping an eye on things ready to call for the doctor if one of our members loose their marbles... Help is only a hollow away πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
BJJ - completely understand! I can just imagine coming face-to-face with Sarah! 😨 On a good day I think that would scare me!

Seriously, that is one really messed up house and since I get lost coming out of shops in a mall, I would definitely get lost in that house! πŸ˜†
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
I didn't mean to say "I looked so beautiful" I meant IT was beautiful Gosh y'all probably thought I was some self absorbed dick. Sorry for that.

[at] kardagen, so you've been here? Man, I can't get bored of Estes Park. But Colorado all together... Ah I prefer to live by the ocean, I miss it a whole lot.

~LSD~
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
LOL! Fear of getting lost is the reason why the Winchester House is NOT on my list of haunted places to vist πŸ˜†. Go in there, take a bag of bread crumbs with you πŸ˜‰.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
cosmogal - call up Josh! We're ready whenever he can fit us in. Atlantis I'm definitely interested in going to. But I'm telling you guys here and now, I get lost in the Winchester House and you leave me to die there, I'M HAUNTING YOU ALL!
kardagen (2 stories) (161 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
...I feel so at home... And Aussie! Or Darkness. Mates. Where are ye? Leavin me here all by myself with a page full'o gals... On second thought...

An Lotus. Actually I've just never had a reason to go back to that particular area. Lotsa old trails and what not. I tend to explore one until I'm bored and not come back to it.
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
I was beautiful, summertime in the Rockies is brilliant. Unfortunately the beautiful wedding was a waste. My first husband couldn't keep him self to him self around his assistant on business trips while I was at home going through CHEMO for the first time & while taking care of my 3 children at that time they were very young then & my 2 youngest ones are only 10 mos. Apart. YUP! That's right daddy couldn't wait after my son was born for me to heal I got pregnant only 4, yes 4 WEEKS after giving birth! AHHH! I'm sorry I just totally vented! I didn't mean to. But.

Any who. Yes it was nice. We had a great time. I encourage all who haven't been to Estes Park Colorado to come visit it is most worth the trip! Again I'm so sorry for getting so far off the subject. We kind of hit Lotus' trigger, well one of my many. LOL! Much love.

~LSD~
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
Wow Lotus, your wedding must have been absolutely gorgeous! I'm with BadJuuJuu in the jealous boat. LOL πŸ˜† If I can get my husband on an airplane I would love to go there, but then again he's a big chicken bless his heart. So I'll most likely go with some friends or maybe I'll take my mom along with me some day. 😊 ❀
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
This story is familiar. I say familiar because I have had similar experiences. Spirit or not, how unnerving! Feeling as though you've been watched getting it on. GAH! Unless you're into that kind of thing. I'm only joking! I kid, I kid! LOL! Thanx for sharing & why don't you go back ever? Bless you & yours.

~LSD~
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
Lol no, you're not being a twit. It's the one in Colorado. I'm somewhat jealous that you got to stay there for a week. Ok, not somewhat, I'm seething with jealousy lol.
It must have been a beautiful wedding, gorgeous scenery there.
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
My 2nd wedding was at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, CO. We did our vows outside & the reception inside & stayed for a week before we went to the Cayman Islands. Oh it was so nice in Estes Park though. I go there all the time. & the hotel has so much energy & because of the mountains around it, some history has been recorded in the actual stone, so there are residual hauntings as well as intelligent. But were you talking about the one here in Colorado or is there a different one & I'm being a twit again? LOL!

~LSD~
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
Aloha! I'm ready Coconuts and all. LOL! πŸ˜† Hey Miracles, should I contact Josh from Destination Truth? We can ask him to head the Drop Bear investigation when we get to Australia. πŸ˜†
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
If coconuts are involved I'm not going to be wearing them. I'm going to be skipping along behind someone clapping the coconuts together like in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Who wants to play King Arthur?
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
Miracles: GIRLS GET YOUR COCONUTS READY! πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

OH YEA AND GRASS SKIRTS!

La la la lala... Waiting for the two minutes...LOL
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
ooooo been on the Queen Mary haunted tour...It's so cool... Would love to go to the Stanley Hotel... And what about the Winchester House?... 😨

Kard, who else can we pick on? πŸ˜† ❀
kardagen (2 stories) (161 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
why's everbuddy pickin' on my spellin today?...humbug...i could use a long vacation. I would like to visit Atlantis...
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
As soon as I can pack my bags! Wait, I'm not even going to pack. I'll just wear what I have on! There has to be some clothing stores on the way, right?

Where are we picking up our Australian friends? I hear Hawaii is a nice midpoint, right Granny?
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
Woohoo The Stanley and The Queen Mary! Those are 2 places I have always wanted to visit... When do we leave? 😜
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
The Stanley? Really? 😁
I soooooo want to go there. And, in Cali, I want to see the Queen Mary. Geez, I'm having a ghost geek spaz now lol.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
LOONIES - Anyone hear "Road Trip?" First we head down to Louisiana and then off to California. While we're out that way, can we make a pit stop at The Stanley Hotel?😨

Man, I think I'm more than ready for a vacation. πŸ˜†
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
LMAO! Granny, omg, giggling maniacally here. Ok, gotta stop laughing now, cats are getting scared πŸ˜†.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
and kard, it's spelled carEful...LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...sorry ❀
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
Yeech. Kard, if it makes you feel any better, something incredibly similar to this story happened to my husband and I while we were dating. We were in his truck at the lake, and we suddenly felt something very wrong. I kept getting flashes of a hooded human shaped figure with gray skin and black teeth in my mind. We left, and have avoided our spot by the lake ever since.
A friend of ours had an experince with a large black dog in the same area. We think the two incidents have a connection.
Anyways, sorry bout running off on that tangent. This story just kind of brought it back.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
LOL! Granny I can just hear it's paws frantically trying to get traction as it runs away like Scooby-Doo. RutRoh! 😲 LMAO πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
cosmo: Count me in...Wouldn't that be cool?...We'd make that thing disappear just from the concentration of looniness vibes!...LOL πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
You know what... You're right. It's more fun living on the edge. I say we get our little group together, head out to Cali and kick some ghost dog tail. πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰
kardagen (2 stories) (161 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
carful?...pfft. Wheres the fun in being carful πŸ˜‰ no worrys, was more of a shock to find out he had passed then anything. I was living on the east coast at the time. When I moved back (5 years later) I found out a lot had changed. Some for the good. Most for the worse. Just the way life goes. I feel. When its our time. There is nothing that's going to stop it from happening.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-04)
I'm so sorry about your friend kardagen. Guess that road is just bad news no matter which way you look at it. If you go back there please be careful. πŸ˜‰

Jenn ❀

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: