You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Lady At The House

Real Ghost Stories

The Lady At The House

 

In Afrikaans we have a saying: "Jy's met die helm gebore." (you were born with the caul) which means you were born with the gift to see ghosts/demons, etc.

About 9 years ago my parents decided to move to a bigger house due to my mother falling pregnant at that time and we obviously needed more space for the new baby. While my parents were house-hunting, we stayed with my grandparents most of the time. They have quite a big house with very large windows and a big court yard which you can look onto when sitting in the dining room. While living there, my sister (3 years old at that time) would constantly look out the dining room window at night and wave into the darkness. My gran would ask her who she's waving to and she would just say 'that old man standing on the grass.' This would happen a lot and that's when my gran said that my sister "is met die helm gebore." (born with that gift)

About a week or two went by and my parents found a few good houses, but they also found another house at the other side of town which they said was perfect. It had a reasonably good price and it was big enough for all of us. They said they wanted to show it to me and my sister and see if we liked it before they made the offer.

The house was really nice, or at least I liked it, but my sister started crying the moment she got out of the car. The closer she got to the door, the more she freaked out and cried. I then picked her up and asked her what was wrong and she said that the lady is looking at her funny. So we asked her where this woman was and she said she was standing right in front of the door and she was looking really angry. My mother then said that she and my sister would wait in the car while I and my stepdad looked at the house inside.

As soon as I stepped inside the living room of that house I felt this chill, almost like someone had left the air conditioner on and it was blowing on my back. I could see my stepdad felt it as well but he blew it off as nothing. I looked around and didn't see anything that could have caused that icy cold wind. (It was also February, one of the hottest months of the year in South Africa) As we moved further into the house, I had this uncomfortable feeling, like I wasn't supposed to be there and someone was pushing me out. I then told my stepdad that I didn't like the house anymore and that we should go look at the other houses instead.

When I got in the car, my sister hugged me around my neck and said that she was glad we came back. I asked her why and she then said that the lady looked really angry and that she was standing in the living room while we were there. That scared me a bit but I then told her that we won't be going back to the lady's house again.

We eventually moved into another house, a bit smaller, but it wasn't that bad. My sister seemed happy there. She even made an 'imaginary friend' while living there, which is another story which I will post a bit later...

Thanks for reading!

Other hauntings by Shayliha

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Shayliha, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

chopis (78 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-03)
Nice story, thanks for sharing it and look forward for the next one:)
Shayliha (4 stories) (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-03)
Hey there... 😁

Thanks for commenting! My sister actually had a lot of experiences over the past few years... I will share them all with you! Especially her 'imaginary' friend she made at the house we bought after this ordeal!
And yes, my family believes she was born with the gift because she still sees these kinds of things... And it doesn't bother her anymore, except for the weird things she sees.
But keep an eye open! Will share another one of my sister's experiences soon!

😉
pianoqueen (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-02)
Oh, how adorable! After reading aussiedaz's comment, I realized that's probably why the little children have such wild imaginations and imaginary friends and whatnot. I really love hearing about your little sister. Does your family think she has a gift?
Irishlasie (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-01)
Ah your poor sis huh? If she dose have a gift, which I thinks she dose! I hope some day she can understand it and it grows as she grows, then maby she won't be afraid any more. Poor little critter! I'd love to have the gift, but... Be careful what you wish for. 😐 ❤ ❤
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-30)
I believe that children have a tendency to be more open minded, which enables them to see easier the spirits that move around us, like cosmogal, I would be interested to know if your sister has had further experiences,I'm not sure if this experience, necessarily means that this apparition was a bad spirit, even with your own feelings connected to it... It is quite common to feel what you describe when in the presence of the departed, I have felt that too in the company of departed love ones, thank you for sharing your story.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-30)
It definitely sounds like your sister was born with the gift. Good thing she saw the angry lady at the house before your parents bought it. Who knows what might have happened if you had to live there. 😨 Does your sister still see spirits now that she is older?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: