You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: Aunty - There's A Man In The Basement

Real Ghost Stories

Aunty - There's A Man In The Basement

 

It was sometime during the summer, me and my mom were moving out of her boyfriends basement apartment, into this house he had just bought for us to rent. The persons who lived in the house before us, works at a local television station here. Before he moved into the house, there was the original owners. Before we moved in, the guy from the television station, we'll call him Dave. Told us that there is an old man in the basement. Now, me and my mom weren't believers in the paranormal, so we scoffed at the idea of someone deceased living in the basement.

(THIS IS THE LAYOUT OF THE HOUSE)

You walk through the front door, and you have a little porch, off the porch there is a hallway. To the left, there is a front room, on the same side, but down the hall a little more, there is another door leading into the dining room. On your right side there is the stairs leading upstairs, and a little more ways down the hall, there is the first door leading into the kitchen.

When you come into the house, and you go into the front room, off the front room, there are two French doors, leading into the dining room, and off the dining room there are two more French doors, leading into the new living room. Off the living there is a back door, leading into the drive and to the shed.

When you walk into the house, and go into the hallway to the first door leading into the kitchen, right behind the kitchen door is the basement door, leading into the basement. Directly off the kitchen is a computer or work room. Off the living there is another door, which leads into the kitchen.

When your walking into the house and going up the stairs the first thing you see is the linen closet, followed by my moms room to the left of the closet and a spare room off her room. To the right of the closet there is my room, and the bathroom.

(BACK TO THE STORY)

It was a few months after we moved in, things started happening, and it wasn't big stuff. So we always brushed it off. Until one night, my nephew, who was only 7 at the time, came over for a sleep over. We were in the living room, watching a movie when the two French doors, leading into the dining room swung open. Now, when you close these doors, they close tightly, so you would need a good amount of force to have them swing open on their own. We got a little spooked, so I got up to close the doors. Then I went back to sit down, and on my way back to the couch, the door leading to the drive way swung open. Now I was getting scared. So I told my nephew to go upstairs with my mom. Who was in bed watching TV. So he went upstairs and we all went to sleep.

The next morning, my nephew and I were in the basement looking for the hose, to clean the car. When I felt a slight tugging on my arm. I asked him to stop tugging on me, cause I had to find the hose and he said: "Aunty, I'm not tugging on you." When I turned around, he was on the other side of the basement, playing with his ninja turtle figurines. After the tugging happened, I got a feeling as if someone were watching me or were standing behind me. I turned around and no one was there, and my nephew was still sitting in the same place, playing with his toys. So I went back to looking for the hose, when my nephew started screaming, so I ran over to him and asked him what was wrong. He said that the man just showed him his cut. I looked at my nephew and kept asking him what man, and what cut. All he kept saying was that, the man was standing over by the washing machine and he was cleaning his cut.

Later on that day, me and my nephew were once again in the basement, he left his toys there and after the incident that happened earlier that day, he didn't want to go down there by himself. So I mustered up the courage to go down with him. We were half way down the stairs when my nephew turned to me and went: "Shh Aunty, the man is sleeping. I don't want to wake him." Now again, I didn't see anything, so I took my nephew by the hand and brought him upstairs and asked him to explain what this man looked like. He said that the man was "chocolate" and he had "cuts" and "raggedy" clothing. He also said that the man was, "harmless" and "alone."

Now I didn't believe him, cause I thought he was making this up, but when I told my mom, she said she believed him, because she has been hearing someone calling her name, yet no one was in the house or around.

After supper, me and my mom and my nephew went to the basement to get some ice cream to go with our pie that my mom had bought earlier. As we were down there, my mom said she left like someone was touching her, yet no one was near her. My nephew kept telling us that the man was mad that we were disturbing him and he didn't like us being there. Me and my mom looked at each other and then looked at my nephew, when we looked down at my nephew, you could see that something or someone had made hand prints on his shoulders, as if standing behind him, with their hands on his shoulders. But there was only the three of us in the basement, and neither one of us was near him.

The next day we contacted the owners before Dave, and asked them about the man in the basement. They told us that when they lived there, their son would go into the basement and spend hours, playing with a man.

We tried doing some research on the house, but we came up empty handed. After our experiences in that house, we both became believers of the paranormal.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, unknownauthor, has the following expectation about your feedback: I won't be reading the comments.

Nadia (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-29)
I think this is a great story! DarkQueen, what does it matter how someone spells? We all got the basis of the story at hand! Focus on the story and not the grammar... Be happy and enjoy what you came to this site for!:)
Once again great story, I can't wait to hear more!
seesthings626 (31 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-17)
I agree with blue_raven80.
Thats probibly cause I'm a kid (13) and I could "see" things when I was little and still now. I sugest that if your nephew says to you that the guy is angry, speak to the guy just say somthing like "sorry if we have disturbed you, we just came to get some ice cream"...hope it helps!
(by the way "persons" isn't a word 😳)
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-16)
scary story but I do believe your nephew. I believe that kids can see the unseen.
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-13)
It seems that surely one of the neighbors would know the story on the house. Since the house wasn't ancient one or more of the neighbors had to have been living there since what ever happened happened. You should have talked to them. If it had of been a murder that would have been news not easily forgotten in the neighborhood. If I was a kid there when it happened I would have found out every minute detail and would remember it to this day. Also, the man apparentley new he was dead. How could he not since he knew the name of your mom and that new people were living there and no one but a couple of kids could hear or see him. Anywho, if your still around there I'd check with the locals. Someone knows something.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-11)
unknownauthor: Would have been a bit freaky hearing your nephew talk about the man and his cuts obviously some bad history has happened in this home. JamesRobiscoe has pointed out some good ideas to follow up on which could be quite interesting. Keep us posted this is a great story.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
darkQueen (29 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-11)
there is no such word as persons the correct term is peaple did you get that granny?
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-11)
unknownauthor--Are you in an area American slaves escaped to on the Underground Railroad?
Since a previous owner's son also saw the man, might it be productive to have that boy (now probably a man) meet your nephew so they can talk about the description and disposition of the male spirit? Nothing like experiential insight.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-11)
Unknown author:

Well, I think this would make you a believer of the paranormal, that is where my beginnings came also as I grew up in a house that was inhabited by at least two entities. The history of the house was a great place to start! One incident that happened in my house was a spirit of a young gal, about 12-13 years old would wander around upstairs, unfortunately mostly in my bedroom and walk through to my big closet. My mother did some research on the house and found two families before us had a daughter that died in the bathtub (which was right across from my bedroom), due to an epileptic fit. She wandered around because I don't believe she had passed over to the other side. Now, my advice to you; keep researching! Ask neighbors around the area, go to public records, newspaper archives, anything else. I'll be interested to hear any further updates!
chopis (78 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-11)
Hehehehe...loved that comment about the ice cream and pie...yummi! 😳, oh! Yes, the story...well, poor man, trapped there, hopefully you and your mom can do something to release him from there, for his and your sake,:)

Cheers,

Claudia
Pete16 (2 stories) (49 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-11)
Your story gave me chills! I wish you the best of luck in dealing with your "man in the basement", and I hope you will keep us updated!
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-11)
The veil between worlds is thin for children, which makes it easier for them to see and understand the paranormal. Like no_XIII said, kids grow out of it as they get older and start to believe that ghosts can't possibly exist.
If researching the house turned up nothing, maybe you could try researching the land the house is on. Maybe there was a house or building there before the current house. Or something happened in the area where the house is. Sometimes, if a ghost is attached to one place, and that place (such as a home) is destroyed, the ghost will move to a place nearby. I know this isn't much help, but maybe a broader scope to research will turn something up.
Blessings
no_XIII (34 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-11)
Nice story, I'm a beliver too since I saw A Ghost with my own eyes. Its not my imagination cause my ex-friend saw it too. Its when I was in 4th Grade, my Schoolbus was passing a small playground when wee saw this Pale woman in white. She looks angry and got more angry when me and my ex-friend looked at her. She was growling and chasing us (but didn't leave the play ground though). The weird part is, the Bus Driver, didn't looked like he noticed that thing at all, and only me and my ex-friend saw that thing (Only me, my ex-friend, and the Bus Driver is the only one in the Bus). Since that day I was interested in the Paranormal. So I guess to some people seeing is believing. Hmmm, ice cream with Pie, just thinking about it makes me Hungry. Whoa, sorry I've got a little offtracked, I'm so hungry and Dinner hasn't started yet. Back to the story. Well, little kids does have this ability to see the paranormal but that ability disappear after they're probably old enough to think ghost don't exist but some does kept it even after adulthood. The man could be some previous-previous owner that could be noted missing not killed by the police and that's why you couldn't find it, maybe you're to focussing its a murder or suicide. Try looking some documents about missing people at the 1900-present day. Hope this helps you cause I'm just some rookie, maybe DeviousAngel or AussieDaz can help you. Keep us posted.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: