You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Little Goodbyes

Real Ghost Stories

Little Goodbyes

 

I've been getting braver about posting on here. For me, a lot of this stuff is kind of subtle and hard to prove. There are a few loose stories I'd like to tie up in here, just to get them down, share them and make sure I'm not really out of my tree.

The first incident to be recorded took place sometime around November or December. As I mentioned in a previous entry, I live in Wasilla and work in Anchorage. The two towns are about 50 or so miles apart. In the winter it takes me about an hour to get home if the conditions are average and there aren't any accidents and it's dark. (This will eventually play a part - promise.) As much as they call Alaska the Land of the Midnight Sun, it's only for three months out of the year - summer. During the winter, it's dark almost all the time.

On this particular evening I stopped at the Fred Meyers (Prolly Krogers for some of you) that is just a little way past my apartment. I forget what I needed, but I remember the time. It was 6pm. As I was getting out of the car, I felt a pressure on my left shoulder, as if it were coming from behind. It was like someone had put a couple of fingers on my shoulder and pushed down just enough to be felt. It was odd for me because I had no purse on my shoulder. I checked my jacket and shirt seams quickly, to see if any of them were sitting on that spot. None were. I brushed it off and figured my body was just being twingy from sitting at a desk all day and then sitting in the car for an hour to get home.

The next evening, I heard my cell phone buzz. As I was driving and the road conditions were less than stellar, I refused to answer until I pulled into my parking space at my apartment. I checked my screen. The phone call was from my ex-husband. My eyes teared up and I KNEW. I knew why he was calling me. We hadn't got along very well when we split up, so I didn't think he would have fulfilled this request for me, but he had. I called him back.

When he said hello, all I could do was ask, "When and from what?"

He informed me that at 6 pm the previous evening, his grandma had passed away. It was horrific, the way it went down, but she was doing something she enjoyed... And she was stubborn so even when the smoking began to affect her health, she wouldn't give it up. That stubbornness was one of the things that I loved about her. All I can figure is that she came to say goodbye. I don't know why. She didn't think very much of me, I know that.

After this I went to go talk to my co-worker, the gentleman I mentioned in the power plant story. We'll call him T. I told him that I had been noticing a lot of general weirdness, like seeing things that weren't really there, little things out of the corner of my eye. It was right about this time that he and I discussed the power plant guy. Anyway, T informed me that December and January (I forget if he included November in here or not) for his People was kind of like a long Halloween Spree. The spirits were out a lot more, basically. He didn't much care for looking outside after dark during this time, and I was in synch with him on that one! We spent a lot of time not looking outside, because, as I mentioned previously, winter in Alaska is mostly dark! Shadows moved in ways that shadows had no business moving. I could feel things moving around my legs, almost like a cat walking around my ankles. There was just a general sense of activity and oddness that pervaded. There was a fatality accident on the highway one night, on the outer in-bound lane. I was in out-bound, and sitting on the guard rail next to the right-hand lane I could see the dark outline of a huge bird. Let me tell you - I was freaked for the rest of the night.

At any rate, I did notice that as January drew to a close, the weirdness also began to fade with it.

A couple weeks after the incident with my ex's grandmother, there was another day when I felt that odd pressure on my shoulder. As the previous incident was still weighing on my mind, I brushed it off. *insert here my personal head slap* Two days later was a Saturday and I took my man's mother (hereafter called Mom) out for the day. We were doing some Christmas shopping, and I was just getting her out of the house in general. Her mother was suffering from pancreatic cancer and wasn't going to make it to Christmas, and Mom needed a distraction. A few weeks prior she had gotten back from a month long visit with her mother - the visit was begun shortly after the diagnosis for the cancer was given.

Mom and I were at Wal-Mart and I had to go use the ladies. When I came back out, Mom was clutching the phone to her ear with tears running down her cheeks. She had just gotten the call that her mother had finally passed after having been in a 48 hour coma - the kicker being that right about the time her mother went into a coma is when I felt that weird pressure on my shoulder. I hadn't known about the coma until Mom got off the phone and told me what was going on.

So, any thoughts or ideas?

I will say here that my mother does have Native American blood in her, though I'm not sure where exactly she gets it from, other than her mother's side of the family. Nor am I sure which Tribe. I offer this as a piece of information relative to what T told me, nothing more.

Other hauntings by dragonwalker

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, dragonwalker, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

quixoticqt (5 stories) (104 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-26)
Well... My mother is full blooded native and is a bit different when it comes to death. She does know when someone in the family is going to die and even more weird she knows when something bad is going to happen in the family.
I do go to church and I do believe in God and Jesus but I don't go around telling everybody about my religion.
I only say this because my mother talks to God everyday. We do believe in the supernatral and that the supernateral is more powerful then that of physical world. So when a person is going to die God tells her that she's going to loose a family memeber.
At first I didn't believe her but sure enough one day she said that one of the family members was going to die and the next day or two she got a phone call saying someone in the family died.
I'm different. I can feel presents around me sometimes weither good or bad.
When I found out I had a half brother we wrote each other when I was only 12. I remember someplace in a letter stating, "Since I've written this down and you read this its in your head and you'll go to heaven. Jesus died and rose again on the third day." He wasn't to pleased with it in the next letter I received from him. He mostly expressed his agnostic point of view.
In 06 on a Wendsday I didn't know that my half brother shot himself and died. Well later when I no longer wrote him letters my brother came to me. I felt a presents in the middle of the night that someone was watching me and woke me from my sleep. I didn't at the time know it was him, I just thought it was a nuicance spirit so, me being a newbie single mother with a full days of work ahead I said "In Jesus name leave me alone."
I didn't find out until the next day after work that my brother shot himself. I guess what he was saying after he died was, "Thanks for saving me. I'm okey now and will see you when you come to me."
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-12)
dragonwalker; I found your experiences quite interesting, you know that old saying, our lives are mapped out... Or when your time is up, then its up, I believe that to be so so true and their are those in the after life, that know in advance perhaps weeks before, who, how, and when its going to happened, I believe their are friends, relatives or guardians, gather around this person and those connected to this soul in transition, (In your story both unfortunate victims of cancer) to help with the shock of death and to prevent the spirit from projecting itself into denial and refusing to accept what's happen, I'm reasonably sure that the tap on the shoulder was your guardian or a relative letting you know he or she is with you, just about every time someone I know dies, I am visited by my ghosties as my good friend granny would call them, thank you for sharing your story. ❤
dragonwalker (5 stories) (77 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-12)
Zzsgranny, I imagine there has to be, though I haven't met many myself. If I read you right, you do? Yay!:)
Darkness, you plucked the very thought from my head. To further back that up, when my ex hubby's best friend committed suicide about five or so years ago, we got the call at one in the morning. After we went back to sleep, I had a very vivid dream where this friend came to me, smiling and happy, and said, "I'm happy. I'm ok." It perplexed me, as I wasn't the one who needed to hear it. As these other two experiences have happened, my thought is that perhaps I was the closest (in terms of family or friendship) person who was sensitive and not clouded by grief. Though I remain unsure if the last two indicate goodbyes, or merely a note of passing.
Thoughts on that one? You all are really helping me figure these things out. I appreciate it!
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-11)
dragonwalker: I do believe that could be possible that the spirit tries to find someone in that family line that can sense there presense a bit easier then others. I have read a few stories on this site where friends of someone that has passed have shown themselves to them, and not there family members because there friend was more sensitive and open to receiving the person last farewell. The deceased then asked them to pass on the message to there family. Very intersting thought.

Thank you

Dan
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-05-11)
dragonwalker: There are a few of us on here who share Irish/Native American heritage...

Devious, you're always good for feeding the thought!... ❤
dragonwalker (5 stories) (77 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-11)
As the 'sensitive' thing was brought up, I will also have to add that I have a great deal of Scottish and Irish blood through my mom's side. I get it coming and going. Lol. As I have no known spirit guide (nor have I looked as I view that as something I would prefer to have a mentor for) I can only wonder if my Irish blood is kicking in for the moment of passing. Banshee for breakfast, anyone? Am tired of doing the headslap. Also, its creepy to know before you are told and have that extra minute to gain composure that others have not yet found. Am wondering if perhaps the spirits looked through the 'lines' for someone they knew that could sense their goodbyes. Thoughts on this?
Thanks for your feedback guys! It's nice knowing I am neither alone nor crazy. Lol. Peaces.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-10)
CJ - thank you for your reply to my reply, haha! It seems to be, though, doesn't it? I know there are people who have had encounters who do not have any sort of Native American blood in them, but it seems that most people who DO have it ALSO have experiences. I wonder if it could be a "gene" or something engrained into the genetics of Native Americans that allows for descendants, even those waaaay down the line, to See?

Very interesting... Thank you for your time!
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-10)
you could have a gift from your ancestors since you mentioned you have a native american blood... Though you can't see ghost, you can feel them which makes you a sensitive still. God Bless.
CJ (4 stories) (43 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-09)
DeviousAngel,

Before I comment on dragonwalker's story, I wanted to comment on your comment. LoL. I found it interesting how you said that you find a lot of Sensitives have Native American Blood in them, due to the fact that Native Americans are a very spiritual people. I can see how this would be plausible; I just had never thought of it that way, so thank you for putting that into perspective. 😊 I, too, am a bit of a sensitive and I, too, have Native American blood in me (Nez Perce...I'm related to Chief Joseph, he's my 5th or 6th great grandfather or something like that). As always, your comments intrigue me.

Dragonwalker,

Thank you kindly for sharing your experiences. I have to say that I agree with what DeviousAngel said, as far as it seeming like you are somewhat sensitive and I can also say that I can relate. Can be confusing at times and when ignored, you're often left wanting to slap yourself afterwards for being so foolish to ignore it, especially when it's not the first time (just like you stated). This I can DEFINITELY relate to. But your experiences are interesting nonetheless and I enjoyed reading them. 😊
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-07)
Thank you for sharing your expriences with us. I do think that you are sensitive to the "other side" goings-on and I think it's very possible that the touches you felt were either these individuals who passed saying a quick goodbye to you, or it could be your spirit guide letting you know that someone you know has passed.

It's also possible that this is because of your blood. I have noticed that a lot of Sensitives have Native American blood in them (I have Cherokee myself). It could be because Native Americans are a very spiritual people and generally tend to be well-attuned to changes in the tides of life.

Also, I don't know what it is about the world right now but there is a LOT of energy in our atmosphere, shifting and changing... A lot of new paranormal experiences and generally just an odd feeling. I'm not sure if you've gotten it but I've been having little "twinges" off and on, almost like small energy vibrations. I wonder if something big is going to happen? 😊 I don't believe in that whole 2012 hype, but it's hard to ignore everything going on too!
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-05)
Dragonwalker: As Miracles mentioned it could very well be your intuition and then again it could be something differant altogether very interesting indeed seems like a very important gift you have been given.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-05-04)
Dragonwalker - maybe it's your intuition. Lots of people experience it differently. For me, I woke up the exact minute my grandfather died. And when my grandmother died (during the day) I just zoned out for that minute.

Maybe yours is that feeling on your shoulder.

I went back and read your other stories. I enjoyed them.
chopis (78 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-04)
Hmm...guess the darkness influence somewhat on the paranormal activity that happens in Alaska those months,...sacry 😨

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: