You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Photographs / Videos / EVP :: The Dark Figure Of Ward Essex

Real Ghost Stories

The Dark Figure Of Ward Essex

 

Some you of may recall that in 2008 I submitted two stories entitled 'The Mist of Ward Essex' and 'the Ghost of Ward Essex'. If you have not read either of these I recommend you do so before reading this one.

Since then I had not seen the apparition or experienced anything I would deem 'unusual' - nothing that is until as of last month. It is for that reason that I have come to re-frequent the forum and grace it once again with my harsh (and ironic) skepticism.

In my previous stories I mentioned I lived quite close (within walking distance) to the site. In fact I live considerably closer than that. The site is visible from my front porch - a fact I didn't mention early for privacy reasons.

The site is located on the corner of Essex road and Ward street in Indooroopilly, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.

Since my last encounter with the apparition I have been careful to keep an eye out for it should it appear again (not quite as dedicated as last time but observant non-the-less). It was in the late afternoon (5-6pm) on the 27th of April that I was sitting out on the front porch chillaxing with a drink (as I often do) when something across the road in the park caught my attention.

It was getting dark (being winter) so I got up to go inside when I saw what appeared to be a dark figure (possibly wearing a large cloak or raincoat) sitting at the base of a tree at the corner of the park closest to me. I would have paid it little heed were it not for the fact that something was just not right about it.

I regret that I did not have my glasses on me at the time and my long-distance eyesight is next to useless but the figure seemed to be fading in and out. It would be solid one moment and see-through the next.

Scarcely believing what I was seeing I at least had the sense of mind to run inside and grab my camera (which was fortunately close-by) and managed to take three photos of the figure. Being dark I set the camera to night-mode (which is why the photos have a green tinge). I have cropped the original photos and circled the figure in the first two as it is quite hard to see with the dark background.

The first photo shows the figure sitting under the tree. In this photo it appears quite solid, though still with little definition.

Shortly after taking the photo, it seemed to fade away completely only to re-emerge a few metres to the left (its right) now in a standing position, facing me. It was tall and thin and I swear it was looking right at me.

Needless to say, I was scared. Yet I remained on my porch and took another photo. In this photo the figure appears less solid and even less defined.

A few short seconds later, it simply vanished in a small cloud of dully glowing mist (or other less natural substance) which lazily floated away in a long trail to the left (its right). I took one last photo before it dissipated altogether further down the street.

The entire scene played out in less than a minute.

Could this apparition be related to the first given the stark differences between the two or is it something else entirely?

Notable differences include the opposing colours of the first and second (the first being white and the second, black) as well as the behaviour of the mist (the first moving erratically while the second, lazily).

The Dark Figure Of Ward Essex 1
The Dark Figure Of Ward Essex 2
The Dark Figure Of Ward Essex 3
 

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JPing, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

smileydelwen (16 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-26)
Sorry about the time stamp, I have just randomly scrambled across this story... Now questions, I am very keen on this case. 1. Have you looked into any newspaper archives for stories of people who may have died around that area or the tree? 2. Have you asked the neighbours about the shadows/ghost? If yes, it would be a great addition to your stories. 3. Do you see the ghosts/shadows every day or how often would you say?

The pictures certainly gives out a spooky feelings. The first one is really creepy. The last one does remind me of the grimm reaper. No idea why!

Keen to hear back
Regards
Smiley
lp2298 (23 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-03)
I strongly believe this is just a guy in a hoodie. The mist looks photo shopped. The quality of the photo changes.
TheNathanNS (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-12)
very interesting photos epsecaily the last one why is it like a crystal
GhostHunter555 (12 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-18)
1st photo: The figure appeared, well to you it did. Then it went to the tree and started crying for some reason.

2nd photo: When the ghost heard you go inside, the ghost got up and was like "Who's there?" and when you come back out, the ghost is in standing mode.

3rd photo: The ghost is like "Oh NO a witness!" and then floats away and dissapears!
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-02)
A most intriguing set of photos.

Definitely keepers to hold on for the future.
gamerkidXD (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-01)
wow sometimes I don't believe these stories but you got photos! If that was me I'd be too scared to do anything. Very brave of you😊
huendchen (49 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-01)
Hey JPing, I catch the bus from Indro to uni! I remember reading one of your earlier posts ages ago and thinking I really need to check this out someday! The next figure you see skulking around across the road might be me on a ghost-hunt! Bahaha! Actually, I'd be too afraid to go at night, and that's when these things appear right? Typical, nothing cool ever happens in the daytime! 😁
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-30)
Creepy!
I can see the shadow on the first picture and the mist on the third.
Thanks for sharing your story.

koalagirl (3 stories) (111 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-30)
hi sorry I can't see much in the first two, but its probable our computer its old, the third one is a bit freaky, thanks you for sharing
Nikkienicole (3 stories) (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-29)
I have read your other stories and to me I would think that this is something totally different just with the way you said that is acted and it look. The second picture is a little freaky I don't know why but to me it actually looks like the grimm reaper. Its very weird.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-28)
Great pics Jping! I would say you definitely caught something here. Especially the second photo of the figure standing there. That is pretty creepy. 😨 Thanks for sharing 😊
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-28)
JPing,

Great pictures and great story... I will have to check in the archives for the previous story submissions.
haysw1012 (1 stories) (22 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-28)
oh my gosh I don't think I've ever seen photos of shadow people that clear before! That is truly amazing!
Aya-Love-Carrots (150 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-28)
Wooh! New story *clap* 😊 can't see the picture cause I'm using a phone... But I'll look at it later on p.c anyway... I think they are partner, black and white, I have seen one like that before... My brother took a photo of me with my phone, while I was near the windon, when I saw it, there were two people standing outside under a tree, the one is black and the other is white, xD I don't know what they are though, ahh... Thats it, thanks for sharing...

-Aya **
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-28)
WOOHOOO new stories! Hi Jping those photos are great, I am unsure what this could be, although the second one looks like something standing up? Quite freaky mate.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
Ashmere (11 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-28)
WOW!

I have seen some photos before but that third photo is deffinately interesting,
Im sorry but I have not read the other stories, but I have one question,
Is the figure always in the same spot?
Always under the tree or is there a certian area that it likes to patrol around?

Ashmere

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: