You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Beautiful House - Ugly House

Real Ghost Stories

Beautiful House - Ugly House

 

It was about 20 years ago my now ex-husband, daughter and I were looking for a place to live in San Angelo, TX. My then mother-in-law had a secretarial business and one day we had stopped in to say hello. She told us of one of her clients having a home a ways outside of town, that she wanted care-takers for; no rent or compensation except to live in the home and take care of the grounds. We were excited to take the opportunity. I mean, really, no rent, how great is that?

Upon arrival at the home, we were stunned at its grandeur. It was a newer, two storey, huge home set 30 miles outside of town on several acres. We went inside and found all the furnishings, dishes in the sink, and on the stove, clothes and filth everywhere. It looked as though the house had been occupied by a bunch of slobs, whom all left in a hurry. It was weird. We got busy cleaning everything upon move-in.

One morning I was alone in the house and I was cleaning the bar that separated the kitchen and dining area. As I reached for the other side of the counter with the cleanser, the wreath on the opposite side of the oak cabinet fell on my hand. I thought it odd, but got a step ladder and placed it back on the nail. I continued my cleaning, and it did it again. Right on my hand! This time, I went out to the garage and got the biggest nail I could find and a hammer. I got back up on the ladder and nailed through the wreath into the cabinet all the while nailing, saying out loud, "There you won't be coming down now." I put the ladder away and went back into the kitchen. It was only a moment later that I heard the wreath fall on the floor. I went around to the other side to look. There was straw from the wreath all over the nail; as if someone had jerked it off, hard. Chills immediately went up my body and I knew something was very wrong about this house. It was only the beginning of things to come.

One afternoon, after getting off work from my part-time job, I came home as usual, walking through the back door from the garage. There was a small bathroom just off to the right upon entry. Taking a few steps inside, the toilet in the bathroom started having water forcibly rush into its bowl. I thought it was strange that it would happen just as I walked in, but I shrugged it off and lifted the lid of the tank and pulling up the bulb, the water stopped. I turned and just walked away, and it did it again. I reached in again and lifted the bulb. It seemed to be fine. Then the bathroom in the hallway started doing it. I went into that bathroom, lifted the lid, and pulled up the bulb. Surprisingly, the water started rushing again, forcibly in the bowl only moments later. So I turned the water off to that toilet. I then turned on the faucet thinking there was pressure built up in the lines nothing. No sputtering, no pressure, no force... I thought it odd. As soon as I left that bathroom, the one in the bedroom started going. I walked in, and turned the water off on that toilet. Walking back through the house, I then heard the toilet upstairs... This was a problem. I hated going upstairs. It was scary. I don't mean weird, although it was that too, but I mean, frightening. Even just going up half way on the stairs, I would become overwhelmed with fear. I took a big gulp, and thought to myself, "It's trying to get me to come upstairs. It's a trap." I stood there for what seemed an eternity, but finally decided I was being stupid, and I needed to take care of it. As fast as my legs could take me, I ran up the stairs, into the bathroom and turned off the water. I thought my heart was going to burst. I barely opened eyes, and ran back down the stairs. I didn't want to see anything - I was afraid to look at anything but the floor, and I was happy that I made it back down to the kitchen. I again turned on the faucet to relieve any pressure nothing. Everything was fine. When my husband and daughter got home, I told my husband all about it. We agreed to call out plumber to check the lines.

The next evening, our plumber called us on the phone. He asked if we were going to be home that evening, that he wanted to come out and talk to us. I said yes. I looked at my husband and told him, "Oh, this can't be good. The plumber wants to come out in person and talk to us." When he arrived, he looked nervous. He was a large, middle aged, rugged looking man. We introduced ourselves and he started to talk.

"I just wanted you to know that there's nothing wrong with your plumbing. (We were relieved). But, there is something wrong with your house. (A long pause). I was working on your plumbing, and don't ask me why, but I got scared. I mean, REALLY scared. I heard voices, and noises, and yeah, I was scared. So I left. I went back into town and I got my dad to come back out with me. We're both plumbers. We looked all around your house. We saw no one. We both started checking things out again with the plumbing, and we both started hearing things. I'm sorry, but we left. We were both terrified. I just wanted to tell you, I think your house is evil, and please don't ever call me again. OK? Please. I'm sorry, but you need to know." We apologized to him, thanked him, and said good-bye. It never happened again. Well, not the plumbing part.

A few months later, my husband made plans with a friend to go deer hunting on the property. Unfortunately, my husband got called in to work, so we left his friend a note and securely taped it to the front door. (It was too early to call). Later that day, his friend came out and wanted to talk to us. He asked where my husband had been. We told him we had taped a note to the door. "There was no note." We opened the door, and sure enough, no note. Not even the tape that held it. The door was in a cove, so there was never any wind there, not to mention we had secured the note with duct tape. We looked around the grounds and the note was nowhere to be found.

Anyway, his friend said that when he got out of his truck to knock on the door, he heard voices, so he thought we were home. He knocked and rang the bell. He walked all around the house looking in the windows thinking we were home, or the TV was on, or possibly a radio, but he saw no one. Then he got scared. He explained he had never felt fear like that, so he immediately left. He asked that we never ask him to come out here again. "Your house is evil, or something. There's something wrong out here. Y'all need to leave it aint' safe. I got the distinct impression that I was in harm's way." Again we apologized and thanked him, and told him we couldn't leave because of our financial situation.

After he left, we decided to go for a walk in the pasture. It was such a nice day, so we did. We came up on the ridge on the way back to the house around dusk. All the lights upstairs in the house were on all of them. My husband and I started accusing each other of turning them all on. I told him, "You know I didn't do it. I HATE going upstairs. You must have done it." We knew our daughter didn't do it; she was too little to reach the switches. He was convinced that I had done it. We came back in the house, and he started up the stairs. I told him I wasn't about to go up there. He laughed at me and said "I'll do it. This is dumb."

Halfway up the stairs, all the lights upstairs, all at once, went out. My husband fell into the corner of the landing with a total look of fear on his face, "Jesus! They all went out! God Dammit, I'm not going up there." He ran back down rubbing the back of his neck saying, "Sh**! What the hell is going on in here? I just got the shiat scared out of me." I looked at him in disgust and said, "I told you so. I've been telling you for months this house is haunted." He now believed me.

We went into town, to his mom's. We asked her if something bad had happened out there at the house. She said, "Well, I know she was having drug parties, orgies and other parties to communicate with the dead. She was all into doing all kinds of wild things. Then she just left. She took her kids and said she couldn't live there anymore. It was quite sudden." "Communicate with the dead? Oh my God. She invited spirits into her home and did all kinds of evil crap out there. Great." I said. Now we knew.

Not long after that, we were all asleep. Our daughter slept with us the entire time we lived in that house. She said that there was a lady on fire in her room and every night around 2 or 3 in the morning, noises, all kinds of noises. So, she slept with us.

The bed in our room was massive. It was specially made for the enormous bedroom, so there was no problem for her to sleep with us. Anyway, we were all sleeping in on the weekend, and a fly kept bothering me. I swished it away several times and finally became frustrated and sat up. "Oh my God! Look at the bed!" My husband and daughter both sat up and gasped. The bed was COVERED in flies. So thick was the insect mass, that you couldn't even see the color of the bedspread. "Sh**!" We all jumped up. "I'll go get the bug spray", said my husband. "I'll get the fly swatter!" When we came back into the room, all the flies were gone. Not a trace. Not a fly anywhere. What was really weird was that none of the windows opened in that house, so how any flies could've gotten in was a mystery we never solved. We dismantled the bed and set up our own that had been in storage.

Not long after that, we had saved enough money to finally move out. I don't know who lived there after us. All I know is, whomever it was I hope God was there to help them.

Thank you for letting me tell you my story.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, cosmocher, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Amna2 (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-26)
Hi cosmocher,
What a great story! It was really weird when you looked at the bed it was full of flies and when you came back They disappeared! Maybe It was the mind playing tricks on you or your imagination because when we are so sleepy we could probably imagine or it could be a dream. I only want to ask is, were you sleepy at that time?Well,creepy story! I don't know how many ways I could describe this story but I cups say, Your story was the best story of all until now!
Your lovings,
Amna ❤
migelito23 (32 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-06)
This house its like the poltergeist movie weird things
Going on in there, the weird part is about the flies and
Then dissappear out nowhere. Thank god you moved
Out of there otherwise your life in that house will be a
Living hell. I hope you find a nice house free of ghosts
cosmocher (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-03)
I wish I could remember the address of this house... Something Turtle Cove or Turtle Dove Street in San Angelo, TX - I'm so sorry! It's just been too long ago, plus I've kind of tried to forget about it. You know?
I now live in a great house in the northern part of the U.S. And although there is a spirit here, he's a nice one. Never causes any trouble - just foot steps once in a while.
cosmocher (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-27)
Thanks everyone to your supportive comments. I have often wondered how other who have lived there were dealing with it.
All I know is that I'm glad I'm otta there! ❤
23_Chantelle_23 (84 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-07-04)
i probs would have left after the wreath thing let alone the toilets lol you guys were pretty brave I hope you are in something a bit more peaceful now 😊
TygerDall (2 stories) (29 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
The reference to the flies reminds me of Amityville.
Glad you all got away.
robertar (223 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-05-17)
Original Poster:

1. Can you please post a google earth link / coordinates for this house?

2. Did you ever considered the "large bed" was spiritually filthy from being used in some of those pastimes of the owner?

3. The lady was on fire... I'd say that was something to be concerned about.
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-05-16)
I can really say that your old house is really EVIL, I mean all caps. I won't stay in that house that long hun... 😨
x10 (6 stories) (46 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-05-16)
nice story, you are such a good storyteller... 😊...I remembered my grandparents house then...it's creepy... 😨
no_XIII (34 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-05-15)
Wow, you're House is Evil, with the capital E. Man I'm Glad I don't even live in Texas. Its like the Amityville Horror where there's flies even though its in the middle of the Winter. Can I ask you something if you don't mind. Is there someone living there now or is it still empty (Besides that Evil thing)?
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-05-13)
This was an excellant story that would have scared the crap out of me obviously what was brought in to the house has not left, I bet you were glad to leave. Well someone elses turn now a shame really.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan

(Troyarn had to laugh at your post haha)
jazzeyjay (3 stories) (215 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-05-13)
When you think something is too good to be true, it usually is. Fly infestation is a common certainty that evil is present in a place. Especially if it's the wrong time of year for them! This sounds like it was a terrible experience for you all. I am so happy you and your family were able to get out of that house.
I don't understand why people practice weired things as they do, but it's not for me to understand, it's just up to me to stay away from those who do. It sounds to me like they opened a door in that house that they couldn't close. Whatever they unleashed is still there!

Thank you for sharing.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-05-13)
Excellent story! Sounds like you went for one heck of a ride. From what you said about the previous owner and the wild times there I can, um, understand why the bed was so big. Anyway, thanks very much for sharing this story. This was one of the best I've read in some time!
zoeythechosen (2 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-05-13)
Hey great story! Good thing you moved out of the house.I've lived in some haunted houses but not like that, that's just scary! 😨 😁
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
14 years ago (2010-05-13)
cosmocher: Wow, that must have been hard to deal with, even for a short while!...No wonder the "rent" was ssoooooo cheap!...I'm sure now, even the thought of "free" wouldn't seduce you into going back there, huh? 😆...Isn't it amazing how people will fool with stuff like that and then leave it to someone else to clean up the mess?...Glad you're out of there... I wonder how the new tennants are faring? LOL

Great story, thank you for posting ❤
zazazaful (3 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-05-13)
wow, that's scary! My house is hunted but by a quite ghost... Never makes really any noises, if any at all, I only know there is a ghost here because I heard him, my mum did too and my sister did, and my two friends, an ex and another saw him, lol they didn't belives us, severs him right for making fun and calling the rest of us parniod aha,

Glad you moved out! To bad though, such a nice house, that women ruined it by calling evil sprits there... 😨
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-05-13)
This is definitely one of the creepiest haunted house stories I have read in a long time. The previous resident must have been into some pretty freaky stuff to attract that kind of activity. I got the chills when you said that your daughter saw a lady on fire in her room. 😨 Glad you and your family are not living there anymore and safe from whatever was in that house. Thanks for sharing your story with us. Take Care 😊
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-05-13)
yeah great story! Enjoyed reading it. Standby for the folks who will tell you to pray, use holy water, etc... Even though you clearly said that you no longer live there. I see that quite often on here, and assume these folks just don't read the entire story before posting. 😁
anyway, good story.
jessysteyn (1 stories) (10 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-05-13)
All I can saw is I am glad you out of that house!

How long did you stay there? I would have left after the first time anything happened. I understand you were financially bound to the place, but still!

GR8 story though

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: