You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Sad Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

A Sad Ghost

 

In 1995, my wife my two kids and I were invited by some friends to spend a 3-day weekend one winter in Payson, Arizona in an old rustic cabin. The cabin was a few miles off the main highway and deep in a beautiful pine forest.

It was a beautiful cabin. It had a Moosehead over the fireplace, a bear head on another wall and a deer head trophy on another wall, and several other wildlife heads spread throughout the cabin. The cabin had a lot of Indian blankets covering the walls and furniture and a southwestern motif throughout the cabin. I thought they decorated it, but they said no.

The inside was built with pine logs from the walls to the pitched ceiling and had a large living room, small kitchen, one master bedroom, and a room to the back with bunks for kids, and a loft with a drop down ladder where you had to climb up into the loft.

They invited another couple to their cabin, and unfortunately, the couple had dibs to the kid's room because they got there before us. Our kids would sleep on the couch and the floor in the living room under the fire place. My wife and I would sleep in the loft.

The loft was a very small part of the cabin. It was a small crawl space just underneath the pitch of the roof in one corner on top of the cabin. It had two full sized thin mattresses on two very cheap spring metal fold up metal beds.

We all played Trivial Pursuit and partied that night until two in the morning. When we went to bed (buzzed), my wife and I were handed blankets and pillows and we climbed the latter into the loft.

The minute my wife and I went into the loft, I felt an energy. It was not a bad energy. It was just a sense that something was different. The loft's ceiling's wood was completely covered with cob webs. The lady that owned the place hollered up..."I know its dark up there, but if you want, you can light a candle... I said. "Yeah, give me a candle."

My wife and I slept on one of the fold out beds in the small corner of the loft with another empty bed shoved in the corner and a candle lit next to our bed on the floor. I tried to read a book. As I began reading my book and tried to go to sleep, I became concerned that my candle might catch the cobwebs on fire, and I put the candle out and went to sleep.

During the night as I slept, I kept hearing a sigh and whimpering. At first I thought it was my wife having a bad dream, and I nudged her, and went back to sleep. But as the night went on, I kept hearing this very sad quiet whimpering. I kept nudging my wife, and she would shove my hand away. As I tried going back to sleep over and over again through this whimpering, I finally realized the whimpering was not coming from my wife, but from the bed in the corner and next to our bed.

It was a very sad quiet whimper and also once in awhile a sad sigh. It was a sad sigh of a woman. Hhmmm...hhmmm...hhhmmm. All night long as I tried to sleep, and in my dreams, I kept hearing this very sad whimpering and sighing. Sometimes, my wife would shake me awake and say..."Knock it off!" Many times during the night as I slept, I would perk up to a sigh from the bed. I never heard a sheet ruffle or a creek from the bed, but all night, I heard a sigh and so many times a whimper.

I don't know how long it took, but I finally fell asleep, when my wife suddenly woke me and said: "It's time to get up." She nudged me a few times and said: "Get up!" I looked out the window at the top of our loft and the light out of our small window was so incredibly bright that I thought the sun had come up. The only difference was that it was an extremely bright glowing white light instead of a nice golden yellow beautiful morning sun that one would expect from the early morning sun. When I looked at my wife, she was sound asleep.

The next morning, I asked my wife about her waking me up, and she said..."Did you see that? I thought it was morning. Then it went away. It was not morning. It was the middle of the night, and I went back to sleep. Then she asked me: So you saw it too?" I said: "Yeah. I thought it was morning."

Later, when the other people that invited us there while we were having coffee asked how our night went, my wife told her about our weird light experience, and how I kept hearing crying and whimpering all night and couldn't sleep. My wife said she heard the sighing too. Then the lady who bought the cabin told us a story about a young Indian Girl named "White Dove." That fell in love with this white man, and he built this cabin for her, but it had to be a secret because he was married and could not marry her, but he built this cabin so they could be lovers. Naturally, she wanted more. But he could not give more. He was married. She committed suicide in this cabin he built for her when he went away to his real family.

Sounds like a typical cliché story. But our experience was not a cliché.

Other hauntings by DannyBruise

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DannyBruise, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DannyBruise (9 stories) (125 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-20)
see27burn

My wife thinks it was a UFO.
I'm not a big believer in UFO's.
The funny thing, is neither is she.
DannyBruise (9 stories) (125 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-20)
musicmaniac,

That sounds really interesting.
Is it on one of your post. Were you part of it?
Haven't had a chance to check it out, but I will.
musicmaniac (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-19)
wow! That sounds familiar to my other experience but she didn't commit suicide she got murderd 😢 poor girl...
P.S.: DONT LET LOVE KILL YOU!
YOU HAVE A BOYF? BREAK-UP!
YOU HAVE A GIRLF? BREAK-UP!
YOU HAVE WIFE AND KIDS?... STICK WITH IT!
BUT IF YOURE CHEATING ON YOURE WIFE...
LIVE ON MARS!
see27burn (1 stories) (20 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-19)
This was awesome! Very creepy! I wonder what the bright light was? I guess White Dove? Dang... I hope you get to go back!
DannyBruise (9 stories) (125 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
cosmogal

Apparently "White Dove" and the white man had no children.
In fact, I wondered whether the people that owned the cabin really new the true facts.
They heard more from their two children about "White Dove" when they spent their weekends at the cabin than they themselves experienced. I don't think the owners were very intuitive.
Interesting how the children learned more about "White Dove" than their parents.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-05-17)
Danny: You must think I'm weird because I live with that stuff now and cobwebs still freak me out! 😆...Though some of those critters have been chased further out with the population growth since you were here!...Critters I can take, just not the obvious evidence of their homestead!...Goofy huh? 😆

I don't blame you for changing rooms!...Still, cool experience, barring the total lack of sleep...
DannyBruise (9 stories) (125 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-17)
zzsgranny,

Please don't think I'm weird, but I've learned being raised in the desert with black widows, scorpions, snakes and tarantulas and other desert animals.
I had a pet tarantula for six years. Cobwebs don't scare me.
I had fun when my wife I and were dating. She was from Canton, Ohio. She came over one night, and I told her the only weird thing about me was my pet tarantula. She laughed and punched me on the shoulder.
Later that night after dinner, we were watching videos when my pet tarantula crawled up the wall behind the TV, and she dropped her wine glass and wine on the floor... She didn't scream... And just said...Woooooohhhh! Woooooohhhh! Woooohhhhh! And shivered uncontrollably. She slammed open the front door and ran down the street. I laughed (the innocent Irish lass...LOL!) as I chased her down the street to her car. Still makes me laugh...LOL!

Anyway Zzsgranny,
After that night, the other couple left, and my wife and I slept in the bunks where our kids were supposed to sleep.
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-17)
Creepy... But I pity the poor indian girl who only loved but unable to be loved the way she wanted to be... Such a sad story... I wish her soul will see the light and for her soul to accept the truth that the man she loves will no longer be back. They could be together someday if heaven permits. 😭
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-05-17)
Danny: So you and your wife spent three days (or two?) trying to sleep in the loft?...Did you sense or hear anything the other night/s?...I think the cobwebs would have freaked me out to begin with! 😆...So nice that you have a spouse that doesn't want to see you committed!... 😆...

I'm curious as to whether anyone else experienced anything at that time or after?...I have to say, that's a weekend some of us would PAY to have!

Great story, as always!...Thanks for posting! ❤
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-17)
La Lorona! That's it, I was going crazy trying to remember the name of that legend. Tyvm 😁.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-17)
Wow great story! The way you described the cabin seems like it was very beautiful.

BadJuuJuu I think the legend your talking about is La Llorona (the crying woman) She was an Indian woman who had twin boys with a prominent man of their society and then when the man leaves her she kills herself. There are different versions of this legend, but they are all very creepy.

Danny, did the owners of the cabin ever say she had children with this man? 😲 Thanks for sharing your story. Take care 😊
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-17)
This actually reminds me a lot of a legend in west Tx. A handsome (but married) rancher fell in love with a beautiful Mexican girl. He built her a cabin on the edge of his land, where he figured his wife would never know. A few years passed. The rancher had 2 sons with his lover. Then one day, his wife discovered the affair. The rancher went to see his lover, and told her they could no longer see each other. In grief, the lover drowned their sons in a nearby river, before killing herself. They say her spirit, dressed in black, searches the riverbank for her lost sons, still hoping for the return of her lost lover.
footsteps (11 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-17)
Ghosts/spirits can be quite a bit at times, especially when messing with you when you need your rest. I've been woken up quite a few times myself. Once I was woken up to someone knocking on our sliding glass door in our bedroom. It was in the middle of the night and I wasn't sure if someone was out there or if they were playing tricks again. Of course, it was them again. I've been woken up hearing heavy footsteps. I've had my butt smacked and another time felt someone lay next to me on the bed. I've woken up to a loud sound pouring through our home. My son was woken up by his fire alarm going off at 6am before anyone woke up. Finally after getting up out of his bed to turn it off, as soon as he put his finger in the air, the alarm shut off for good that morning. Sometimes I think they just like to aggravate us, like they enjoy doing so.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: