You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Is There Something Wrong With Me?

Real Ghost Stories

Is There Something Wrong With Me?

 

I happened to stumble across this site when trying to learn about ghosts. I have had this problem throughout my entire life where I begin to hear and see things at random times. I do not know if what I see and hear belong to ghosts or if I am simply insane, but I can describe my experiences.

It all began when I was a little kid simply going down the stairs at home. Every night, this tall scary woman would stare at me as I passed by in such a way that I would be freaked out and simply ran for my life, diving towards the kitchen. This woman was there every night for several years... Just staring. One day I described exactly how this woman looked to my father who took an interest and to my surprise he said I just described my deceased grandmother who died in this very house and stood in that very spot during family gatherings. I am a person who does not truly believe in the supernatural so I passed this off as a mere coincidence.

Normally this story would just fall away into childhood fantasies but these visions, Apparitions continue to follow me. Oftentimes, especially when I am alone at home I would turn on the lights and sit on the couch afraid of the dark and the people who stare. At these moments I would hear things. They come in short bursts, the kind that make you wonder if you really heard anything at all! Sometimes they'd be unintelligible; sometimes it'd be my name, other times it'd just be like laughter. It always gave me chills and I became afraid of both night and day. I will say that these voices come when I least expect it, when I am completely relaxed and not thinking about anything at all.

The voices and visions when I was younger still do not bother me. It could all very well be fiction. Yet I STILL CONTINUE TO SEE THINGS. Hearing appears to have vanished, but as I go through my daily life I occasionally meet more of these "people." They don't talk to me and they now appear during both the day and night. It does not happen very often anymore and half the time I can't even tell that they aren't regular people. I have actually come up with a list of rules that seem to follow these images.

1. They either stare at you or refuse to look at your face

2. They never seem to speak

3. They look as real as regular people that half the time you don't even know they may be ghosts except for the fact that they're creeping you out by staring or refusing to look

4. They are EVERYWHERE when you aren't looking for them, yet NOWHERE when you do want to find one

5. They never seem to move from their spots (car seats, chair, standing and staring, etc...); they just disappear when you begin to pay more active attention.

There are probably more observations but I just cannot remember them right now. For a long time I was afraid of these "people" nothing is more frightening then turning a corner and BAM have one staring at you on a midnight run to the bathroom or a walk to your bedroom. I have many stories of encounters but none that have been truly life changing or anything special. The longest time I have seen something was this one girl sitting in a chair in my bedroom for a week. All she did was cry and cry and cry refusing to look at me. I tried my best to talk to her but I don't know how and she never responded. I was also half afraid she'd look up at me and it'd like some scary movie from the ring or something like that.

Anyways, all these "people" appeared in my hometown, but ever since I have come to UCLA I no longer see and hear these things. Maybe it's the large concentration of people, maybe because there are too many distractions, or maybe because I am too old now. Either way, at least I do not have anymore surprises lurking around the corner.

By the way, I do not just hear and see things. I have experiences where I visited a temple in China and felt this overwhelming sadness and I almost lost consciousness. I walked into this room with ashes and I saw people trapped in the corner of the room and felt this indescribable sadness. They couldn't reach where they wanted to go because something was stopping them. I could feel the pain... And it hurt.

I also slept in a bed in the room where an old lady died and woke up from sleep being unable to move. I felt old, tired, weak, and in pain. I felt like my heart was stopping and I knew I was going to die. I knew that if I could reach the adult couple on the other side of the door by yelling I may be able to live. I didn't want to die. I tried to yell but the sound was not loud enough. Everything looked yellowy. Then, my heart stopped. This half-dream, was not just a dream. It hurt me too. I woke up in the same bed, and I felt immense pain as if my very heart had stopped. For a moment, I thought I was going to die and the surging pain of blood pumping again felt great.

Sorry to be rambling on, I am just confused as to whether I am insane, weird, or just imagining things. I do not really believe in the paranormal or supernatural, I just have unusual experiences. If it helps at all, apparently the women in my family have a history of having the ability to see visions portraying the future (I am not a woman though). Ha-ha, can't say I can do that, but their stories are out there and very real.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jet684, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

coolkatg (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-13)
Okay, I forgot what it's called, but if a spirit/ghost wants to show you how they died, they will try to show you in the way that the old woman did. I believe it starts with an "M". But anyways, aboutseeing all the dead people in your hometown, (they might be dead or just a part of your immagination) I have nothing to say about those. But it's very odd that once you moved, the encounters just stopped. Maybe if you ever need to go back there, see a phsycic. Maybe they can help you.
I hope you feel much better.

And rest in peace to the old woman with a heart attack.: (

Kat ❤
Justaguy (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-27)
Jet it is unlikely that you are going to hold a conversation with these energies. Chances are they are using a sort of telepathy with you, and hoping that your empath ability will pickup the signal.

To document what is occuring and get validation will require some homework, because when you see a "spirit" you will need to head to the local library and find out who they were in life. I would use a notebook on details you see i.e. Age, sex, visiable injuries, clothing etc., and use these clues to attempt research.

In order to get further with this you will have to learn to "tune-in" empathically to what the spirits are trying to convey to you. When you do, those clues will help with validation, as well. Don't expect this to happen by voice though.

Good Luck.
anita1 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-24)
i saw my first ghost at 11yrs it was a dark shadow in the door way of our kitchen I have seen 3 apparitions and believe they show themselves to people for a reason, it does un-nerve you but you have a gift, you need to let go of your hang-ups
amk86 (2 stories) (21 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-21)
I would suggest picking up a few books at your local bookstore on the subject of psychic/medium. There are some mediums who have written their own books on the subject. I personally like to read Lisa Williams books, Sylvia Browne, and John Edwards. Whether you believe in them or not,it'll only take an hour or so to skim through them. You can try meditation. It's a great way to focus your mind and learn to control your own emotions and responses when you get overwhelmed. Also, remember prayer is a powerful thing. Dont feel like you can't pray for assistance. You wouldn't have this ability if you weren't able to handle it. Good luck, and God bless.
Jet684 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-20)
I have many stories in terms of seeing, hearing, and sensing things, but I have become fairly used to it all by now. Gift or curse, I do not really see it as either. Just a normal part of every day life. I mean you have to get used to it in order to get up the courage to go anywhere alone, especially in the dark.

What triggers it... Thinking back these experiences mainly occur when either I am afraid of them or when the feelings in a certain area are especially strong. For example, the temple in China and the girl in my bedroom. I remember those more vividly than any other experiences because they happened in broad daylight and had a much greater emotional impact. There are a few others that happen during the day like this woman sitting in the front passenger seat of my dad's car as he came to pick me up from school. She was staring at me as the car approached and the moment I got in wondering who she was, she vanished. I had no idea she wasn't even real! I thought she must have jumped ship and ran off somewhere hiding from me, ha-ha but that doesn't make sense.

I believe the only thing that would prove what I am seeing is really there and not just in my head would be the ability to communicate with them. Whenever I really really want to, I cannot find any. And when I gain the opportunity to because of an emotionally charged location, I just do not have any way to get a response from them.
kulto143 (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-20)
hi there, I just want to leave some comment, first of all, honestly, you are not insane, some other say it was a curse, some other say it was a gift, for me your ability to see those things is a gift, it may really bother you though, but your ability to see those can help a lot of people. All human being has the ability to see what you can see, but most of us people cannot, because it was not automatically activated with our mind, not like you. Your not the only one that can see those things, there are some people like you with that ability, and with different level. Your ability to see is so high that sometimes you cannot differentiate
The dead with the living, some people with same of your ability can only here their voice, some can see them but it was blurred or it was like a smoke figure, some they can only see it a few seconds or in a blink of an eye. There was only one problem why you can't talk to them, you can see them, but you don't believe that they are so called ghost or spirit. How can they response to you if you believe that they are just a normal person. But that's the problem right, you don't believe in ghost or spirit. So it was like you don't exist for them, and they cannot communicate with you even you are trying to talk to them, they don't reply because they can't see you. Or rather some of them can see you too, but they can't tell you what they want. And first thing first, if you have a plan to believe in them, try to research for them, to know them, what they can do, if you plan to talk to them, you must learn and you must study all about them, because, not all of them are needed to be help. Those entity are also have their own level, some are good, some are bad, some of them can hurt you, some of them will going to bother you, some are just pretending to be like a human, but their true identity is like your nightmare or worsts than that. Try to know as much as you can learn about them, if you have plans to face what kind of ability you have. Another thing to say, there are a lots of website to learn to about your ability, if you are interested, try to look for this key words in the web. "kinds of haunting","different types of hauntings", here are some sites: I am not promoting any sites, I just found them with a search engine feel free to find another sites if you are not still satisfied.
Http://ghosts-hauntings.suite101.com/article.cfm/haunting
Http://axgxhxoxsxt.tripod.com/thehauntedpages/id2.html
no_XIII (34 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-20)
Whoa, you have some tough life there buddy. Guess you're used to it right now huh? You're seem to be haunted a lot, I mean everywhere you go there's Ghosts. This reminds me of a song from a Video Game called Alan Wake, its called Haunted by Poe. Its now one of my favorite song and for those who already played Alan Wake must know, because if you don't, you didn't play Alan Wake. Back to the story. Of course you're not insane, though being insane is required to go trough insane stuff (This reminds me of Alan Wake where he says he's crazy but it helps when you're dealing with crazy stuff). Some rough life you have, if I were you I'd be afraid to turn the lights of and not being awake (another nod from Alan Wake). Sorry if I've got a little offtracked and talked a lot about Alan Wake cause it is an awesome game. Thanks for sharing. Its an awesome story. Have a good life, keep us posted if anything happened.
Jet684 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-20)
Thank you for the replies. I guess I am just looking for answers as to whether or not what I am experiencing is normal or documented in any way. I don't know if what I have gone through is unique (making me crazy) or its something that just happens to certain people. I do believe in supernatural occurrences in the moment when they happen, but afterward you look back... And realize that maybe it didn't really happen, or maybe it was all in your head. What I really want is help. Help in understanding what happened and if I can control such experiences... How? What do I do. Also, is my "ability" real?
FATMIKED518 (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-20)
If you read one of my two posts (can't remember which one) you'll find that this isn't just happening to you. It seems like some ghosts are smart enough to isolate and torture one person, making them ask whether or not they are crazy.It's like picking off one person at a time. Making you mentally weaker over time, Until you start to mentally torture yourself. I wish you good luck in the future!
Justaguy (7 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-05-20)
Jet You have a blessing and/or a curse depending on how you want to look at it. Seek understanding for it. I believe UCLA has a department for it, and that may be a good place to start. But understand one thing... You don't have a good understanding of your abilities which could be dangerous emotionally. Currently you have the ability to gain insight into another dimension, but is is like being in a dark room with a flashlight that goes on and off. You are only seeing (or hearing) partial images and not getting the big picture.

Here are a few things:
1. Learn to turn it on and off. You mention that when your relaxed things happen. Somehow your are tuning in when you relax, so you need to do some very careful experimentation to determine what "flips the switch"

2. Don't let it consume you. It really is no big deal. You hear, see and sometimes feel past lives of entities that are present in the same space in another dimension. Unconventional?...Yes. Reason to lose your mind?...no.

3. What is more draining than anything is the Empathy, and that unlike the ability to "see dead people" will likely get stronger with age (seeing will likely decrease without exercising the abilty). Unfortunately, that will be the most draining and confusing, because eventually you may begin feeling other LIVING peoples emotions and even thoughts. You will need to learn to deal with it. DO NOT TURN TO DRUGS OR BOOZE AS A FORM OF ESCAPE!

#4. Not to sound like a super hero movie, but, "use your power for good". Use Karma as a guideline, and do onto others as you would have them do to you. Help who you can if they except help, and your empathy will eventually give you insight into the character of those you meet. People will want to open up to you verbally, and while they do, they will also open up empathicly as well. Not to be crass, but from personal experiance I can tell you that you will meet child molesters, murders, people who don't like you but act like they do etc... These types of things will be the most emotionally draining things in the world, because "knowing" and "proving" are two completely different things.

#5 Don't fear or judge yourself. I like to think of it as evolution. Your empathy may get stonger as you get older, and you may eventually become like a one way reciever of telepathy from this deminsion and a two way for the ghostly. Don't hate it or love it, just deal with it. Take the good with the bad and remember its is kind of cool to connect with past-on loved ones. Unfortunately, you will likely feel the bad of mankind more and you will always know when someone lies (which is the curse that really sucks and doesn't make voting as easy as you would think because there is a lot of BS out there).

I have probably scared you more than I have helped, but I wanted to be honest. Talk to other family members with the ability and gain understanding together. Your children will need your insight, as well.
Honeyfur (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-20)
I don't think you're crazy. Things similar to this have happened to my friend. She was freaking out and I believed her because she would scream when they would talk. She would sprint down the hallway because of them, even in the day time.

God bless!
justin102798 (9 stories) (96 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-19)
There are so many comments on so many stories... I can still remember the old stories, when I was E-mailing people to give advice, and there were only a few members. God, times have changed. If anyone needs help, just E-mail me at justin102798 (at) gmail.com. I am still open to any situations.

God bless!
JOSHDEI (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-19)
scary story... But everytime you experience these things, what are you guys doing?
x10 (6 stories) (46 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
Someone once told me that if you can not debunk the "abnormal things (you know what I mean) " that you see, hear or feel, might as well accept it as paranormal. And accept that you have a third eye, that way, you'll be less confused. 😊
amk86 (2 stories) (21 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
You are very brave! You are also sensitive to the spirit world. You don't seem crazy to me especially since you did try to find logical explanations. Sounds like as a child you were more sensitve to it than you are now as an adult. That is extremely common. I can name tons of things that I experiend as a child but only a handful as an adult. I kind of mis it!lol
Anyway, its so sad to hear of all the spirits youve seen. I hate to think of people just lingering here all alone when they could be with God. If a spirit ignores you and doesn't seem to be aware that you are there, than its not a spirit. Its what is called residual or an imprint. Its just from an event or a person that carried enough energy or emotion at one point that it left an "imprint" on the enivronment around them. Its like a an alarm clock going off every day at the same time... It will happen whether you are there or not, just part of the land now. Its great that you tried to talk to them. If they won't respond than just say a prayer for them that God or they're angels will come for them soon.
jazzeyjay (3 stories) (215 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
Jet684: I'm sorry, I left out that you also may be empathic as well.
niboreel (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
*****Jet684, You're a sensitive*****

What's that? A phrase used to describe people with sensitive senses that are outside of the normal physical body senses. Go visit Psychic Waves.com web site. Read up on these senses. It may help you understand your abilities/gifts. Best of luck to you - I'm working on mine too.:)
jazzeyjay (3 stories) (215 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
Jet684: Thanks for sharing your story. Let me ask you something. Why is it so much easier for you to say that you don't believe in the Paranormal after everything you've gone through, seen and heard? It's easier for you to think you are Coo Coo for Cocoa Puffs than to realize that your father confirmed that one of the people you saw when you were younger was your grandmother. You've had confirmation, but you still question your sanity. Have you gone to a Psychiatrist and had him/her to run tests on you to make sure there's nothing wrong with you? I mean if this is the way you feel. From reading your story, I'm not reading anything that makes me feel suspect of your sanity at all. I just feel like you're just one of those people that no matter how often you've seen spirits, ghosts, or whatever you may want to call them, you just don't want to believe they exist. SORRY, TO TELL YOU SO, BUT THEY DO! You said it right when you said that some of them be just as clear as a living person. When they get enough energy, the things they can do are just remarkable! Don't sell yourself short, you just may have been born with a gift. You said it yourself, when you are sitting and not thinking of anything they come to you or you see them. This is because your mind is clear from clutter and you are relaxed.

Thank you again.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
Hi Jet:

First of all, thanks for sharing and keep in mind; you are not alone. Secondly, you state that you don't believe in the paranormal... No wonder you are questioning the fact that you are crazy.

I have had similar experiences my entire life starting when I was a young child. I have learned to embrace it throughout the years while being very guarded as to whom I tell, that is a big reason that I come to this site. I have told certain people, who I though that I could trust, and they have simply called me crazy. So now I keep my experiences to myself and the wonderful people on this site.

I think you are sensitive to the paranormal as I am sure most people on this site are. It runs in my family too. I would try to speak to these apparitions when possible, I would not fear them. Also, do not live your life by it rather enhance your life with it. I have done it both ways...also, I had the ability to "shut it out" for a couple of years.

Take care and remember... You are not alone.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
Jet,
Thank you for sharing your experiences. I can draw many parellels between your experiences and mine... But there is a difference in the time. I never had any experiences that I am aware of, as a child. My first experience occurred when I was in my twenties... But just like yourself, the entities I see appear just like regular people. Although I have written of a few accounts on this site, there are now so many that I would not know where to begin. I participated with a paranormal investigative group for a while; and although I had many experiences when looking for evidence, they are far outnumbered by the happenings I have encountered when I am not looking for or even thinking about ghosts.
I have not experienced the empathetic characteristic you seem to have possessed; and my visual experiences far outweigh my auditory ones. Why this is hapening, I do not know... But I thought you may want to hear that you are not alone.

Lou
Pete16 (2 stories) (49 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
Jet684, it kindof sounds to me that you "don't believe in the paranormal" because you are afraid of it. If I understand correctly, you are sharing a story with us because we enjoy reading stories, but you are also sharing with us because you are looking for some answers concerning your own experiences. I think it may be important that you consider opinions from others, but that you, most importantly, really think about what it is YOU believe. Your experiences sound far from ordinary to me-that makes them exceptional. You don't have to take anyone's one idea of what you're going through because what is most interesting about the paranormal (faith and religion too, for that matter) is that none of us REALLY have a concrete answer.
You don't have to believe in some of the things people come up with to explain their experiences, but I find it hard to believe that you truly do not consider atleast some of your experiences to be paranormal. I think perhaps you have been afraid to admit them, and you're looking for us to tell you it's ok. It IS ok.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
Sounds as though you may be an empath, able to feel emotions that aren't yours, and pick up bits of feelings leftover from the past. It's something to read up on anyway, may point you in the right direction. And as JPing said, if you think you might be crazy, you're probably not. Crazy people never know they're crazy, never even consider the possibility.
Easy (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
"I see dead people"

That's what came to my mind while I read your story (i'm so glad that I don't...for now) 😁
It's wierd cause they never asked for help.
Maybe you didn't mention it, but from what you said they didn't move things,didn't touch you,right?It's like you could see...well,memories of those people and not their ghosts. When you actually felt like the old woman... It was like the bed (or the air around it,whatever) absorbed how she felt while dying, and you went through the same as she has... Or the little girl, it sounded like she was real and you were the gost. This little girl was crying and a good ghost (you) was trying to comfort her but she couldn't hear or see you... I know it's stupid, I just got that impression:).

But that's just my opinion 😁
Although if I were you I'd probably go crazy hahaha.
Anyway,i'm glad you no longer see or hear things ❤.
JPing (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
They say that if you think you're crazy, then you're probably not. You can at least take solace in that.

That certainly is some strange and scary stuff you've been experiencing.

I wouldn't, but others here might suggest you are more open to these entities than most.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: