You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Strange Noise

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Noise

 

I can honestly say that I have been having ghost experiences all my life. When I was a kid I used to hear people calling my name when I was alone, as if they were speaking in my ear. I would see things out of the corner of my eye, shadows jumping just out of my vision, and as I got older I developed a sort of sixth sense about places I visit. Sometimes I get a sense of really bad vibes about certain places, and usually find out later that those places have some sort of sordid past. I suppose I'm just sensitive to the paranormal, but I've always gotten the vibe that when I go somewhere that is haunted, I tend to stir things up. All the weird, unexplainably paranormal things that happen to the people I know always seem to happen when I'm around. I know that must sound like I'm trying to make myself more interesting by saying that, but people start to notice after a while and it unsettles them.

Regardless, these things have been happening to me forever. I moved to Germany for a year, and during that time period I experienced nothing. At the time I thought that maybe I had just simply outgrown whatever was that was making me susceptible to the paranormal, but I soon found out that was not the case. I flew back to the United States during my spring break to check out the campus of the university there that I wanted to attend, in Savannah, Georgia. Some of you may know this, but it's commonly thought that Savannah is one of the most haunted cities in the US. With the way I'm affected by the paranormal it would seem like a bad place for me to choose to be, but my top choice school was there and I wanted to go to it very badly.

So, I flew out and visited it. While I was checking out the city, which is very cool by the way, I was staying with my girlfriend in her apartment. She's attending the university in Savannah that I wanted to attend, and I would be living with her and her two flat-mates. The first time I entered that apartment I got a strange feeling from it. It wasn't a bad feeling, but it was a little off. The closet in my girlfriend's room gave me the worst vibes, but I thought in the beginning that it was just because it wouldn't stay shut. (If my girlfriend wants to shut the closet, she has to put something heavy down in front of it or the door will not keep shut. It's unnerving, to say the least.) I soon learned that the closet also caught the light in the room in a very odd way. When all the lights are out in the room in the night time, there is still a street light that shines in from the window adjacent to the closet. This is enough to illuminate the room softly, but that closet never seemed to ever get any lighter. It was always this looming black shadow in the dark.

I brushed off the weird feelings that the closet gave me because I thought I was being a little childish. I've always had a mild fear of the dark, and I'm prone to letting it freak me out over nothing at all. So, I told myself it was nothing and simply put it out of my mind. But the encounters I started having became more and more prevalent. I began hearing this noise from the apartment above my girlfriend's. (They live on the ground floor/basement apartment, and the apartment above theirs is more or less of street level.) It was a deep, loud sound of large pieces of furniture being moved around. It sounded like a dining room table, or a wardrobe being pulled across wood flooring. I heard it several times off and on during the next few days. I mentioned it to my girlfriend one day, off-handedly, and she frowned. She told me that no-one lived in the apartment above them, and the Landlady couldn't rent the apartment out for more than a few months at a time. (It was the reason she made everyone else sign year leases.) She said she had heard the noise before, and the tenants that had lived in the apartment before them had also told her that they had heard it, but it only normally happened every few months or so - nothing like the frequency I was describing. She thought it was odd, but she knew that the paranormal tended to act up around me, so we both just shrugged it off.

I ignored the noise for a few more days to the point where I began to stop noticing it. But one day later that week I was sitting in the living room on my laptop, quietly reading. My girlfriend and both her flat-mates were at class, so it was only me. The noise started up again, and I ignored it like I usually did. It continued for a long while, more than usual, and that drew my attention. Suddenly, a bad feeling washed over me and the noise stopped. It was silent for a while, before I started hearing things shift and move across the tile flooring of my girlfriend's room. I promptly got up and went for a walk. I've learned through the years that giving a spirit its' space is sometimes the best way to get it to stop bothering you.

When I got back into the house the ghost was quiet, and the bad feeling had evaporated. I told my girlfriend about it, and she seemed to be upset by the experience. She told me that the ghost never came down stairs. She then told me that what was her closet now used to be a stairwell that lead to the upstairs apartment and that in the early 20th century there had been a fire and someone had been trapped in the stairwell and died, and the ghost never went downstairs because it was afraid to do so because of that. She told me that the closet was simply made up from the original door frame and a piece of drywall. (The closet it very shallow.) This could have explained why the ghost had chosen her room to appear in, but it didn't explain why the ghost went down stairs.

There were a few more instances, like the electronics suddenly screwing up, and once we came home to find that the fruit hanger that my girlfriend had set up only hours before had fallen to the ground, spilling all the fruit. None of the chains were broken, and the only way it could have fallen like it had would have been for one of the chains to have been physically pulled off the s-shaped hook and let fall. Nobody was home when that happened, as we were all out together.

I left after a week and a half, but the ghost experiences seemed to become more and more intense as I stayed there. I was wondering if maybe you guys could tell me what you think of them? What kind of ghost do you think it is, and do you think it wants my attention? Do you think it wants to hurt me, or does it simply just want to play tricks on me? I would like to know what someone else thinks about it before I move into that apartment next fall, so that I'm not putting myself in a bad situation.

Thanks so much for reading.

Other hauntings by Rowan_Red

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Rowan_Red, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-23)
By the way RR, I agree with LouSlips. It took me a while to deal with it.

blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-23)
Welcome to my world! Well, it only happened to me on my boyfriend's place because I am a I'd-rather-stay-at-home person. You are sensitive to the unseen my dear. I guess we just have to deal with it.

God Bless.
ps2 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-23)
We both have a few similarities in what we experienced. Like yourself, I also hear my name being called, somewhat the same as yourself. I also see shadow's move swiftly out of my sight. I would be interested to know if you notice any other strange occurences. I think you maybe sensitive to your surroudings as well, but this can be a good thing if you listen to your what your instincts are telling you. 😊
Rowan_Red (3 stories) (10 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-23)
Thanks everyone for all the comments and help! I'll definitely try to inform my new roommates of my 'problem.' I don't think they'll be too freaked out about it, but you never know. I just don't want to sound completely crazy, you know? But Savannah is such an haunted city that I think that if you live there for an extended period of time that you get used to all the activity there, and very little surprises you anymore.:)
RyuGoldDragon (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-22)
Nicely written story, Rowan. Just to start, I know what you are going through. I also have a sixth sense for the paranormal. I get vibes, not only from locations, but also objects. I have had very similar experiences in my old house. We lived in a two story house. The upstairs was booming with activity all the time. Things would move. Stereos would magically turn on. I would hear screams, footsteps, etc. And I also noticed that the more I didn't acknowledge these things, the more frequent and louder they became. All I can say is that these entities follow certain people. They must know who can sense them and who can't. I don't really know what you should do about it. I would say the best course of action is letting the landlord know of these things. But, to be real with you, we both know that the landlord will most likely do nothing. What can she do? Keep your friends informed. And don't show any fear of it. Peace.
musicmaniac (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-22)
spooky story! You gave me goosebumps! That is the spookiest story I have ever red! 😁
mrdeagle (6 stories) (69 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-22)
Great story! I don't know if you would be constantly freaked out by living in that place, but if you want my opinion you should really do what makes you happy. I would assume that means living with your girlfriend. You should follow your heart and you should not let a spirit or entity push you around. I have heard many stories of people that submitted to their haunts only to have the entities grow stronger in their negative energy. Be strong and courageous and show those ghosts who's boss! 😉
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-05-21)
Rowan: I agree with Lou... This entity is drawn to you... The moving noises may have been happening every day, but the other people weren't able to pick up on it as often as you... That it has ventured somewhere it has never been tells me that it knows you have keener senses, (sorry for the term "it"! 😆) and are able to help...

I don't think it has ill intentions toward you... Just needs a little hand "up" so to speak! 😊
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-21)
RR,
As you already know, spirits are drawn to those who can sense them. I do not think you have aything to fear, you are obviously quite used to these experiences. What you need to do is to help this spirit cross over; not only for the spirit's sake, but your roommates'. If you move into the apartment without letting them know what is going to happen (and you know what will happen); you would be involving them in something far beyond what they have experienced on their own. Activity will increase when you move in; it will actually probably start just before you move in. If your roommates are willing to put up with the occurences increasing in frequency and intensity, that is their choice. But if you do not confide in them what you suspect will happen when you get there, that would be misleading.
This spirit is trapped because of the tragic and sudden death its human form experienced. It needs to be sent to the light... And whether you are aware of this or not, you have the ability to help.

Lou
XxL4L0xX (2 stories) (11 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-05-21)
ooh wow. Interesting storyy 😊 I think though everyone has a story to tell of the paranormal

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: