You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Basement At 426

Real Ghost Stories

The Basement At 426

 

Just a little bit of background information before I start my story. My boyfriend and I moved into this little basement suite in December of 2009. It was a cute place and I had never gotten a bad feeling about it (usually I get the feeling if something is there or doesn't want me there). So all was good, we got all of our stuff unpacked and settled in nicely.

About a week and a half after we moved in I set up our Christmas tree. I have a cat and he of course loved to climb up the tree (which I did not allow I spent too much money for him to chew it up). Also we always had a little space heater running because no matter what we did it was always so cold down there. We spoke with the landlord who actually lived upstairs and he had put brand new insulation in the walls, we cleaned the ducts and furnace and it was still always cold.

One night I had woken up to my cat climbing in the tree, and it was very hot in our bedroom. I got out of bed to go get the cat out of the tree and as I walked by the heater I turned the dial and shut it off. Now I do know for a fact that I had because there is this big orange light that turns on with the heater and in the dark it's even brighter. So I scared the cat out and he ran into the bedroom and lay down beside my boyfriend. I got back into bed and just as I was about to fall back asleep I heard the tree moving again. A little bit angry and ready to give my cat heck I stomped into the living room turned on the light and the Christmas tree right in front of me was shaking so much that some of the ornaments were flying off of it. When I tried to find my cat he was still in the room with my boyfriend, nowhere near the tree.

Tired and not wanting to deal with it I just said out loud "very funny, I'm going to sleep" and I turned and went back to the bedroom. As I walked by the heater I noticed that it had turned itself back on and was set for one hour. I turned it back off, went to my boyfriend and woke him up to see if he had turned it on, he said no he's been sleeping the whole time and rolled over and fell asleep.

Dismissing whatever had just happened I rolled over to do the same. Just as I was about to doze off something very high pitch and crackly screamed right in my ear, I could feel it 2 inches away from me. I sat up instantly and nothing was there. Everything was quite and my boyfriend was still sound asleep.

I'm not sure if this was anything paranormal, I'm just trying to get some opinions from people who believe in this kind of stuff. There were a few other odd things that I had heard and seen in that basement. If anyone has any insight for this little amount then please let me know. I will share the other stories as soon as I can.

Thank you

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, TennesseeDawn, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Violet_Sidhe (3 stories) (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-27)
I agree with agimat_warrior. If you can't recollect any paranormal activity before the tree was brought into your house it's possible something is latching onto the tree. It may have screamed in your ear because it was pissed to be chopped down and placed in a basement. Maybe you can try making an apology to it and leaving it back out in a forest. Worth a try, anyway.
Khloros (10 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-25)
out of all that you said the only thing that strikes me as bad is the crackling scream... If you could is there anymore detail you can provide me with? And everyone has it on the nose spirits love animals expecially cats. I mean there is all kinds of lore and myths about cats being connected to spirit. So that does not surpise me its that scream...
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-25)
Was the tree next to anything that could disturb it at all ie: something mechanical possibly? Has the cat been acting strangely at all and is it the first time the heater has done that? Sorry about all the questions just trying to get to the bottom of it that's all.

Thank you for sharing

Dan
agimat_warrior (4 stories) (18 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-25)
from your origin I could guess the christmas tree is a real one rather than the artificial ones we are used in this side of the world. Remember that animals are affected by spirits. Sometimes our pets due to their loyalty to us are very protective of the owners. I guess your cat is messing up the tree because he is fighting whatever spirit attached to the tree. Here in Asia, before we cut trees we pray to God for protection and permission and to dismiss whatever evil attached to it. So next time around if your cat acts weird let it be, he may just be protecting you from something you could not see.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-24)
It could have been the furnace acting up, causing the room to get hot, vibrate the tree, and make a strange noise. Or maybe something was annoyed that you took it's feline playmate away. Some spirits do enjoy the company of pets.
Also, I cracked up over you saying you didn't want the cat to chew your Christmas tree. Our cat chews everything he can get ahold of. He's as bad as our Labrador. Worse maybe.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-24)
I think you very well could have an entity called a poltergeist. What other strange things are happening? A poltergeist can be very troublesome and quite a nuisance... And somewhat dangerous. I have experienced this before. Thankfully not anymore. I had the house Blessed and somehow got rid of it. Keep us up-to-date.
GHostGIrl92 (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-24)
when you said 'very funny' that's good keep saying things like that and if anything else happens then say 'who are you and what are you doing here.'
The high pitched crackly screamy thing might be telling you something important so try to communicate with it. Very interesting story don't give up. 🤔

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: