You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Best Friend

Real Ghost Stories

My Best Friend

 

I am typing this so my best friend, who is sitting right next to me, will know what I think of her before, or not, I move. I am not entirely sure if I will move, but I'm hoping that I will stay with her for as long as I live.

My name is Michael and I am 16 years old. Everything began when I first moved into this house four years ago. The first couple months nothing happened at all. I was always fascinated with ghosts and I would watch these scary shows like Celebrity Paranormal when I was 12. It would really scare me, but wouldn't leave me scared when I would try to sleep. One morning on a school day I woke up to my mom trying to open my locked door. It was strange; I never left my door locked the night before. My alarm clock was turned off as well. I tried to recall turning my alarm clock on the night before, but nothing would explain how the door was locked and the alarm clock was turned off. I doubt anyone would walk into my room, turn the alarm clock off, then lock the door and close it behind them. What would they gain from that?

I ignored what happened that morning, but two days later, something happened. It was 6 in the morning when I walked into the bathroom to brush my teeth. My sister was in her room and my parents were sleeping in their room. I was looking down at the sink, and when I looked up, I saw something through the reflection of the mirror. A young woman walked across the hallway. She was pale, but seemed to glow lightly in the dark as she walked. She was wearing one of those old sleeping dress. Her hair extended down her back. She looked to be around the age of 13 or 14. The thing that frightened me the most is that her eyes met mines through the reflection of the mirror. I immediately turned around, walked down the hall and looked around the corner of the corridor. No one. I searched the living room, the front door, my room; who the hell was that? That wasn't my sister because her room is right next to the bathroom and if it were my mom, 1) I would of heard her room door open, 2) her hair stops at her shoulders, and 3) she is rather larger than the person who I saw.

Since that day, I would sweat in my bed at night, trying to sleep and daring not to move. The incident would keep replaying in my head. Making me more stiff like when a deer sees the headlights of a car. There were times where I would be sitting down watching television, and the small Mary statue on top of the TV would shift where it would be facing when I'm not looking. I would keep trying to fix it and it would keep on facing a new direction when I'm not paying attention. Eventually long nights became weeks, and weeks became months. I aged to 13 and slowly forgotten the experience, until April of 2007.

It was April 1st, 2007, and I became fascinated with ghosts again after purchasing a book with true ghost stories. It even tells you how to open your third eye. So I tried that. It was funny because I barely met this guy around my age who is obsessed with my ps3. I walked up to him and I was like, "Dude, tonight, we are going to see ghosts!" The guy looked at me weird, and then replied, "Yeah, good luck with that." So I tried going through the process of opening the third eye. I tried, and tried, and tried, but I never really got any results. I gave up on that, but I was still fascinated with ghosts. I don't think I remembered about the bathroom incident at the time, however.

Two days later, I was sitting on my bed, ready for school and listening to music. I began to daydream and lowered my eyes down to the floor. When opening your third eye, it involves blurring your vision. While I was daydreaming, my visions were blurred, and I saw something next to me. I saw a darkened figure sitting next to me. I looked up, surprised, but not alarmed. My visions were no longer blurred, but when I glanced at the figure next to me, I saw clearly who it was. It was that girl from last time. Pale skin, long hair, sleeping dress. Compare to last time, this experience was rather pleasant to alarming. She was actually kind of cute. The cutest girl I have ever seen. She wasn't there when I looked back. At the time, I knew that the girl was the very same girl I saw last time.

I started talking to the ghost, but I could never hear the girl talk. I couldn't really see the girl as well, but I would see dark shadows from the corner of my eye. When I'm at school, I would be anxious to get home to spend time with the girl. I would feel as if someone special is waiting for me at home. I never really figured out what her name really was, so I decided to call her Sam. She agreed, I think, seeming she hasn't thrown anything at me, yet. Even though Sam proved to be harmless, it was kind of hard adjusting at first to the idea that there is a ghost watching my every move. The first couple nights were kind of awkward. One night the window blinds moved by itself, and then I heard my broken CD player working. It's freaking weird because the damn thing is broken, and I could hear the CD spinning. I even tried using it after I broke it one time, but it was dead.

A lot of times I would sit down late at night and talk to Sam. I could tell when she is sitting next to me when she gives off this cold sensation, kind of like when someone breathes on you except she's like a huge mass of cool air or something, but it's not cold to the point where you can see your breath whenever you breathe. The cold sensation is barely noticeable. Occasionally it would really get cold around her, whom I never mind, but I'll explain why later.

Every time I leave the house, I would say goodbye to Sam. Every time I come home, I would greet her and ask her how her day was. Like I mentioned, I could never hear her speak. There is always this pleasant feeling when I was around Sam. It's like something just clicked on perfectly and I'm able to express myself in front of her like nobody else. Then I realized something. I think I may have a crush on her. I remember trying to admit it to her, but it took me weeks. When I finally did admit it to her, I felt a couple of soft winds to my face. Don't know what that meant, but I'm sure she felt the same way. There were nights where she would lay next to me as I slept, and when I woke up, she would often still be there.

I remember one time my mom did something outrageous and argued with me. I went to my room, angry, while my mom went off to the basement. After a couple of minutes, I heard screaming from the basement. I went to the basement, seeing my mom screaming at nothing. I later found out that she was screaming because the lights were turning on and off by itself. Sam was trying to scare my mom. It's really cool how she has my back and everything, but I told her not to do that again.

It was April 3rd of 2008. I remember doing something with Sam, I think watching a movie or something. I do remember celebrating the one year anniversary with her though. I remember on April 3rd, 2009, I was playing the piano at like 1 in the morning. I completely forgot that it was our anniversary, and I heard a whisper from the corner of the room. At the time I thought it was nothing, but then later during the day I realized that Sam was trying to remind me that it was our two year anniversary.

My parents and their friend were working in the backyard one afternoon, cutting down trees, gardening, and such. My parent's friend would sleep on the couch outside my room and spend nights at our house until they fixed up the backyard. One day, they were trying to cut this piece of tree hanging over the fence on our side coming from the neighbor's side of the fence. My dad's friend tried to cut it down, but a piece of vine fell from a different tree and fell on his leg, cutting it. It wasn't severe, but it freaked them out. My dad tried cutting off the piece of tree that his friend failed to do, but something else happened. The firehouse burst and water splattered everywhere. Everyone was spooked; my mom blamed it on the "monster." I remember telling my mom about Sam the first time I saw her in 2006. She didn't believe me, but I wrote it in my journal at my school, and my teacher read it and told my parents. They suddenly believe it. So my mom blamed it on Sam.

That night, when my dad's friend was trying to sleep on the couch, I heard him talking about something quietly from my room. I brushed it off, thinking that he was talking on his phone or something. In the morning, my dad's friend told my mom what happened last night, then my mom told her friend what happened, then she told her son what happened, and then her son, which is my friend, told me what my mom said. Apparently, the night before, a girl appeared to my dad's friend and told him not to cut that tree down or something like that. I went to the backyard that day to find out what tree it could have been, but I never figured out which one it was. I think they cut it off already.

Anyway, my friend told me that my mom told his mom that she saw a ghost in our house. My friend said that my mom saw an old man, and he was glaring at her from the top of the basement stairs, and then disappeared. She completely freaked out about this and hired a priest to go and bless our house. I was there during the blessing, and nothing really happened; things didn't start falling off the shelves, causing all hell to break loose. Sam still remained after the blessing. It's not like she's a demon or anything. The priest said that Sam is a man that can turn into a girl. I kind of doubt that but you really never know; I've heard that ghosts can change shapes and forms and everything. They can even change the way you feel around them. Even if Sam is a guy or a girl, I still accept this ghost for who he or she is. After all, Sam is the one who stays up with me all night whenever I feel lonesome or scared, watch over me whenever I sleep, and held and comforted me whenever I cried.

As days went by, I noticed something really strange happened. Instead of seeing dark shadows at the corner of my eyes, I would now see white figures. This really made me curious, and I researched about it. They say that a white figure represents guardians. Could Sam have changed from black to white? I used to see dark shadows from the corner of my eye, but now it's become white shadowed. I don't know if it's possible for a dark-shadowed ghost, who feeds off negative energy, to become white-shadowed, however I like to assume.

Last year's Christmas, I remember making Sam a present. It was a bit difficult to keep from her, but I managed. There was a basket, and inside the basket was a teddy bear, tucked in by a small blanket. I drew a picture of Sam and put it behind the bear. Between the bear is a fake flower. I also laid a Nerf sword on the basket. When I presented my gift to her on Christmas, I told that all the items in the basket have a meaning. The bear represented me, and the blanket that tucked the bear in represents the warm and pleasant feeling whenever I am around her. The picture of her represents her, and the flower represents how cute she is. She is, indeed, still the cutest girl I've ever met. The sword represents her guardian over me. I was actually quite pleased of how the presentation turned out. I was staring at the gift, until I felt something soft and cool pressed against my forehead. I looked up and felt my face immediately going red. Holy crap, did she kiss me?

I remember I stayed home with Sam on April 3rd this year and watched tons of movies like Rambo 4 with her. Before 12 at midnight, making the day April 4th, I talked to Sam in the dark and told her how much she meant to me. I really went deep into the conversation. Remember how Sam gives off the soft, cool, air when I'm next to her? Well during the conversation she gave off a really cold feeling. It felt as if I was outside at night. It never even gets that cold in my room. Never. I'm guessing it's special when Sam gives off stronger air or when it gets colder.

Over the years of spending time with Sam, I realized something. When people die, they either cross over or stay as a ghost. Those who remain as ghosts spend their times tied to the earth for many years. Some ghosts wish to never be bothered, but for the others, it may become real lonesome with no body to talk to for all those years. Some, like Sam, are trapped inside properties. Ghosts would try to find a way to interact with people, but it would be hard for them since we become terrified and quickly assume that they are trying to harm us. A lot of times ghosts would give up and accept being lonesome. Ghosts, I figured, are entities that are not meant to be feared, but to be understood, just like all the other elements in life. I am everlasting grateful that I met Sam. She hasn't said a word to me but has taught me valuable lessons. She is, indeed, the greatest friend I could ever ask for. I will enjoy these last years with Sam before I move or head out to college. I will come back to visit as much as I can when I'm gone. Maybe even after my last breath, I can spend the rest of eternity here with her.

Sam seems to agree with all of this. Thank you for reading my story. Our story.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MikePK, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MikePK (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-29)
Googi, thank you for your kind comment. Sam is still with me (even as I've gone to university, and even as my family and I moved out of the house and to a new location). She is a cool girl:) Even though I cannot see her anymore (vivid glimpses or in form of shadows), I can still feel her cool presence next to me as I sleep during some nights; and when times are tough, her presence is more noticeable. I cannot ask for a more loyal friend!
Googi (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-25)
I know it's kind of late to comment but I am new to this site and I am not sure whether you'd be reading the comment after such a long time but I am really impressed and just don't forget her (wondering if she is with you) ghosts are much more associated to the feelings of a person and she will always remain with you around you. Considering she is a beautiful soul, she'll always protect you. Always thank her for her unconditional love for you. God bless you both.
crazy13lark (2 stories) (8 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-07-31)
This is so romantic. ❤ I can't believe you have to leave her 😭. Anyway, that's just so sweet, and I think you should write her a goodbye letter, and definitely go back to visit her. I like that you named her Sam, I don't know why, but It kind of suits her in an imperfect way.
ghosthunter1227 (14 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-06)
you guys are more than just friends and I really like your story one of my favorites
kdabalos123 (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-05)
The part where you gave Sam a Christmas present almost made me cry. Espesially the ending. 😭 I wish y'all best of luck!
samara (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-04)
awwh, this is so cute, I read a ghost story on this site once, about a house. The ghost tried to interact with the lady by writing things down, maybe you should try to interact with her by writing down questions & leaving them there with a pen next to your bed when you go to sleep. Personally I know my house ghost, Mrs Caville, likes to communicate with me, No I can't hear her, understand her, & really I have a deep fear of her, but love her as if she was my own grandma. Good luck, With Sam, 😉
MikePK (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-03)
Thank you people. I have never heard Sam spoke before, and I have never found out about what happened to her. I would like to know though.
ghostgrl (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-03)
how cool it must be, being friends with a ghost. You could scare the pants off your enimies for revenge, you could hear a lot of cool history, etc. Did sam ever tell you what happened to her? Plus, I think you guys are more than friends. LOL ❤
no_XIII (34 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-03)
Egad, that was a sweet and touching story. Its like a forbidden love between 2 lovers, like Romeo and Juliet, only the guy is alive and the girl is dead. That part when you gave her a gift at Christmas was very sweet of you. Cool story, definitely one of my favorites.
EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-03)
Ahahaha to be honest I think your rite about letting Sam chose her path. When she's ready I think she'll let you know but until then best of luck ❤
MikePK (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-03)
Whoops, another typo. What I meant is that I am not too sensitive to ghosts...
MikePK (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-03)
Whoops, typo in the last comment. I have never heard Sam talked because I am not too sensible to ghosts.
MikePK (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-03)
I'm no nothing on the history of the house. I have never heard Sam talk because, but I blame it on me. My grandmother is a fortune teller, and I guess that's how I am able to see ghosts occasionally. The book I purchased is called The Complete Book of Ghosts. It's a hard cover book and and the front portrays a forest with a house. [at] cutechoy my name is Michael.
teensgonepee02 (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-02)
soooo cute:]. But if sam is you're guardian the she'll ALWAYS be with you:] good luck.

~kells ❤
cutechoy (42 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-02)
gosh! I nearly in tears! I hope I could have some friend like her... I am very touch with your love story *ahem*... Can you tell me your name? I just want to make friends...

Nc story!

CuteXchoy
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-01)
Personally, I think it's very sweet that you have this friend. Just understand that she is not a living being, and that following you around may be impairing her chances of moving on to the Light. It may be for the best of both of you to let her go. You don't ever have to forget about her, but...please, for her sake, let her go.
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
-1
14 years ago (2010-07-01)
Do you think she will follow you when you go off to school? I bet she may. Are you interested in human girls? I hope this "Sam" doesn't get pissy when you find a hot blooded girl to be your best friend. Think about that.

~LSD~
Aya-Love-Carrots (150 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-01)
Nice and Sweet! 😊 maybe sam is a poltergeist (correct my spelling if I'm wrong...) you said that your fascinated with ghost and your 16 the first time to saw her right? Sometimes a person in that age can attract poltergeist... Anyway I enjoy your story... And I think sam would be lonely if you go to college, but... The important thing is if your happy, then be it, the hell with the world, 😊

-AYA** I remember the lake house:)
23_Chantelle_23 (84 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-01)
I like how you wrote this story and its really sweet, I hope that Sam really is your special guardian and that one day she is able to communicate with you.
It would be super interesting to find out who sam really is and how she relates to your house ❤
Keep us posted!
BloodyGir13 (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-30)
That is a really sweet cute story:)
I wonder why sam doesn't talk to you?
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-30)
MikePK I enjoyed your story, when your mum mentioned that she saw a man staring at her from the top of the stairs I immediately thought that what she saw was sam. I do believe certain spirits can take the form of anything they want to perhaps something that would more then likely frighten us. I'm glad you find comfort from this and are not afraid though! What is the history of your home and land maybe you can find more information in regards to Sam have you ever heard her speak? Also can I ask what was the title of the book you purchased? Sorry for all the questions its a very interesting story. All the best to you and Sam.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
MikePK (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-30)
I'm not angry lol. The thing is that I don't want to bug her about anything; I leave her decisions up to her.
EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-30)
That's really sweet I wish you and Sam great blessings but I'm going to just say wouldn't you rather making her cross over she'll be so lonely wen you leave or go to colledge please don't be angry best of luck ~Katherine~ ❤
Dark4ever (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-30)
I really Like your story. Its really a cute Experience. I wish you and Sam, always be friend.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: