You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: Bad Ouija Board

Real Ghost Stories

Bad Ouija Board

 

This happened maybe about six months ago, when my 13 (now 14) year old sister and 3 of her friends stayed at our house for the night. My sister, Heather and her friends Jana, Chloe and Shannon all thought it would be fun to do a Ouija board. I've always been interested in the paranormal, though it does scare me quite a bit. I had always stayed strong to my "don't ever touch a Ouija board, they're nothing but trouble" theory. But my sister begged me, saying 4 of them were not generating enough energy. I reluctantly agreed, but first spent about an hour, researching how to protect yourself from bad spirits. We then lit several white tea lights around the bedroom, chose a glass and sat around the board. My sister and I are both Catholic, but have never been to church outside of school masses.

There were 5 of us touching the glass the entire time, and it only just occurred to me when writing this, that when seated around the board, we looked like an out of shape pentagram. Should that make any difference? After a few contacts, we had one that started to play up. The glass stopped moving for a while, despite us asking questions, so we decided to say 'goodbye'. Then out of nowhere, the glass moved toward the edge of the board. -For those who know about Ouija boards, must know about the various ways that entities can escape. After the movement, my sister's friend Chloe freaked out and tore her hand off the glass. I was about to take my hand off it too, when out of nowhere the glass tipped up and nearly fell over. Quickly I put my fingers on the glass, moved it to 'goodbye' and flipped the board over.

I looked up at Heather, who seemed to be in shock. She was staring straight into my eyes, not moving or blinking. Chloe, who was sitting next to her, nudged Heather and she still didn't move. I asked "are you okay?" Told her to "stop it now, this isn't funny." Still no response. After about 20-30 seconds, Heather took in a deep gasp and her hands flew up to her throat in what looked like an attempt to strangle herself. 5 seconds passed with her gasping for breath, when she finally calmed down and asked what had happened. I still thought she was mucking around and I replied "oh as if you don't know." To which she said "no, I seriously have no idea. What the hell happened? All I saw was black."

By now I was really scared, so we all went outside and ripped the board up (it was only badly drawn on paper) and burned the pieces. After that, Heather said she felt relieved. Like a weight had been lifted off her shoulders. We went back inside, sat in the kitchen and talked about it. Heather had told me the last time Jana stayed over, that she and her mother could both see ghosts. Out of nowhere, Jana looked up towards Heather's bedroom and said "a man with no shirt on and brown hair just walked into your bedroom."

Needless to say, I won't touch a Ouija board again. Does anyone have any insight to what it might have been?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ashleyoertel, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

soccergirl65 (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-03)
The actual thing your suppose to do is put it underwater (it traps the spirit) and never take it out you have to put something on top of it so that it is completely under water so unless you want it in your home completely have it underwater somewhere.
BunnyPanda (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-29)
I think the man with no shirt was the spirit you guys communicate with, but did anything happen after that? Just wondering. Hope you guys are okay and be safe:)
scarynightsoverload (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-01)
oh my God are you scared? Well if not your brave better for you not to do it again and all of you guys shouldn't do it also 😉 😜 😳
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-29)
Do you mean possessed?

Funny thing about ouija boards. I grew up thinking they were a game, but when my brother gave one as a birthday gift, the mother of the birthday boy called my mother and gave her the riot act.

We thought it was weird. But now I don't want one anywhere near me.
textbud13 (19 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-29)
Heather would of been I can't spell the word but it starts with p and it means a spirt or deamon has gone into you and controls you that's what straight up happened
p-a-s-d-e-c-h-e-v-a-l (22 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-21)
BlanknameSpace: To be honest, I do believe that the feeling of a 'weight' being lifted after a paranormal experience is entirely right in itself. I think whoever started the whole "oh, that's just spirit tryna scare you" thing is stupid. Human senses are much better than that, surely? I don't doubt our powers.
BlanknameSpace (1 stories) (24 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-05)
I came out of hiding to give you some advice, heed my words. Burning a ouija board only creates a more accessible portal to spirits. The proper thing to do with the ouija board would have been to completely disperse the spirit first. The weight that lifted off of your sister's shoulders was most likely the entity acting as if it had left. I predict demonic activity in your near future (not a psychic, just being an idiot.)
bonnybanshey (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-13)
Well atleast you knew it had to be trouble I remember when I was younger I beg my mom to let me use a board and she refused it wasn't until I was nineteen when my uncle told me a skeleton from the closet if you want a name for it where for a year when she and my uncles and aunt were kids do to my uncle not thinking they were tormented by an evil force it took not only blessing the house but destroying the board and burning it as well to get rid of the damn thing 😐
chatterboxx20 (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-25)
I don't mean to freak anyone out or anything But I have been possessed twice before and Heather seemed to have been possessed. I stood in my kitchen once staring directly at my mom for about two minutes before coming back to senses. All I saw was black, then I saw my mom. I don't remember staring directly at her without blinking for two minutes at all. I could be wrong about heather though. But I also have seen other people possessed and it freaks me the hell out.
ashleyoertel (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-14)
kaya-stewart: Why would you want to make a Ouija board to begin with? But yes, it's the same as buying one, you just need to write on it. And I'm not sure if it would work.
jblaster77 (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-10)
whoa when you mentioned the stare I remembered my friend bein all goofy and staring at me
kaya-stewart (10 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-31)
can you actually make a ouiji board from paper at home? Would it work?x
ashleyoertel (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-22)
sylviessweeties: How do you know the man hung himself/was hung?
sylviessweeties (135 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-21)
The man with no shirt on and brown hair that walked into the bedroom. Hes either angry with regret that he hung himself. Or hes angry because someone hung him.
Shadead (91 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-20)
ashleyoertel: I do commend you at your researching first, a lot of people don't and have bad things happen you took precautions.

To those who post OUIJA BOARDS ARE EVIL ect. Simple minded view like this will only serve to cause further issues with people who are curious,

Case and point Human Idea tells us when authority says no to something the public must try it Illicit drugs, Adultry and of course the Occult. I advise I ouija occasionally for guidance and to get information but OCCASIONALLY and I practice safely. I follow strict rules as ashleyoertel has done here and yes things can happen.

Also please note this DONT I repeat DONT burn your boards you need to cut or tear them into 7 as it is a lucky and influencial number in the Christian Religion, (7 days of creation) and the Sabbath, to then take the pieces Say the lords prayer and then bury in consercrated grounds and leave them there. Dont Keep a board or leave them lying around again yes they are not toys but they are not 100% evil.

If anyone has any issues with my post or wants to ask anything email is in my profile and I'm happy to be contacted.

~Shadead.
ashleyoertel (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-06)
kdabalos123 and agimat_warrior: Thank you for your concern, but I do know that Ouija boards aren't a game. I am 17 years old, so I don't need anybody to tell me that... As I said, we are Catholic, but we don't practice it, as in we don't say prayers.

Zander: I don't think anything about the pentagram came up while I was researching... Just small things like placing a glass of water near the board to represent light, making sure each participant had on a piece of pure silver jewellery; as it is a protection of some sort? Also not to have lights on, but candles. As spirits are supposedly afraid of light.

Whitebuffalo: Yes, we have been living here for 3 years now I think, and the house is only 5 years old. I'm not sure if my sisters friend had ever seen anything unnatural in our house before, she might have, but not told us. But it is a little weird that she only pointed it out after our experience. Unless this is the first time she'd seen anything. When the glass started tipping over, I was only looking at the board, also while I moved the glass and turned it over, I was just watching what I was doing, so I could do it as quickly as I could. When I looked up, Heather was staring at me, so I'm not really sure when she started acting strangely; whether it was when I turned the board over, or after.
As I said just before, the house is only still newly built, we are the second family to live here, and I don't think anybody died while the first family live here.
kdabalos123 (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-05)
I'm with agimat_warrior. You just don't know wahat you have summoned.
agimat_warrior (4 stories) (18 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-05)
never play with ouija again, its dangerous you don't really know what kind of spirits you are dealing with. As catholics, pray a prayer of deliverance to drive away what you have summoned
Zander (7 stories) (146 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-05)
The shape of a pentagram is indeed used to create a protective space. Since you mention that you researched protecting yourselves before consulting the Ouija, I wonder if that notion came up in your study just beforehand?

As to when you noticed that you 5 formed a pentagram shape... If you noticed it before consulting the Ouija then you would have added intention and definition to the space, arguably. You may have even done so unconsciously beforehand. I would not dismiss the shape of which you took note.

When a pentagram is used as a protective force field, it is "broken" when someone leaves it. It could perhaps have been broken, energetically, dimensionally, when you flipped the board as well.

I have heard of this strategy [drawing a pentagram on the floor large enough to hold all of the members of the household seated within it] being used during a house blessing/exorcism.

I would not dismiss your note that you and your friends formed this shape for your sitting with the board. It could well have been significant as a protective shape in force during the sitting.

Now as to Ouija boards being bad news. You don't have to wonder... They are. But oddly enough, they are regularly consulted on New Years Eve in the Ukraine. And as far as attempting communication with the afterlife using a device is concerned, Edison was working on just such a thing but died before completing it. He believed that such communication was possible. As outrageous as it must have seemed to people before the telephone was invented to speak to people miles away, he believed that the spirit world could be contacted and those in residence there.

As for EVP's being safe or safer, I do not agree. I tried EVP's once, only once, and a very kindly woman's voice was later heard in playing back the recording saying just two words...

"be careful"

I heeded her advice and never tried again.

Lastly, Ouija boards can be pitched, burned given away and months or years later found again in the house. Don't ask me how. Could it be that other family members bring one in out of curiousity and tell no one else in the household? It could be. Or it could be that there is more to the Ouija than meets the eye or than we can safely control.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-07-04)
First, I'm going to apologize to the author of this story. I don't have anything to contribute to the story, but I want to say I'm so glad new stories have been published and glad to see our mod back.

Again, I apologize for breaking in on this story.
narcissa (4 stories) (77 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-04)
i honestly don't know why so many people have no other stuff on their hands to do than try out such things as the Ouija boards, when clearly a VAST MAJORITY of folks allege them to be Portals of hell...well, I'll never understand, I guess! 😕
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-04)
Are you still living in this house?
I am curious as you claim that this friend never mentioned seeing someone before this Ouija experience, but she DID point him out AFTER.
I am REALLY curious about you hitting the Goodbye, flipping the board over AS Heather seemed to "zone out". This happened simultaneously, correct? Has there been anything that happened recently that may point to a ghost still being present?
Wa-do.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-04)
Samara, here is a brief explanation of what the Ouija board is. It is a cardboard or paper diagram with an aplhabet, yes, no, and goodbye printed it. Sounds harmless enough. It isn't.
People think these are a game. They are an actual tool used to contact the other side. They work. But you don't have any control over who you contact. You could get a kind relative, or something else entirely. Don't muck around with those things.
If you are set on finding some way to contact your ghost, you might try EVP. It's safer than the Ouija board.
ashleyoertel (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-04)
whitebuffalo: Yes, Jana had stayed at our house once or twice before this night, but she had never mentioned seeing anything paranormal before. If she did, she never said anything to us.

Samara: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouija
samara (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-04)
Could someone explain to me, what an Ouija board is, I'm keen to use one on my birthday party, although it will be dangerous, & all my friends are Christians & we all go to a private school, please help me decide, I deeply believe I have an interest in contacting my house ghost.
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-03)
I agree with badjuujuu and the rest. NEVER EVER PLAY WITH THE OUIJA board. You should have learned the lesson now. That board is not a toy neither a game board. I hope you learned your lesson sweetie.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-03)
Yep. This is one of those instances in which something that looks completely innocent turns into something a mite too much too handle.
I am not going to give you a lecture about Ouija Boards. I can not. I use them, myself.
The SHAPE of the pentagram means nothing. All that is important was that all five points were represented for the Protection to be in place.

I have the idea that this was nothing more than an angry ghost. Nothing evil, nothing demonic, just an angry ghost. IF it possessed Heather, however briefly, it was in an attempt to let itself be known.
I am most interested in the man that Jana saw walking about up the stairs. Had she been to the house before this ouija experience? Did she ever mention seeing him before all of this?
Wa-do.
ashleyoertel (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-03)
Thank you for the help and comments.

BadJuuJuu: I learnt from watching Charmed that the pentagram was actually a symbol of good, until evil stole it or something. So I know that, but still.

Rashidah: My sister and I are baptized Catholics, but we don't practice it or anything. I don't necessarily believe in God. I was baptized when I was about 4 and a half, and my sister was almost 3. So it wasn't something we had any choice about. Also, I'm not really sure why, I thought it just might've been an interesting fact as to why anything happened when we used the Ouija board. As I only did it, not expecting anything to happen.

DARKNESS: Are you referring to my sister acting it? I don't think she did. My sister is a terrible actor, and she would have laughed or smiled while trying to keep a straight face. I'm 17, and she's 14. So I've known her for a while.
EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-02)
Please be careful like what Badjuujuu said its not a toy to be played with. And its against Christ Sadly I tried it for a stupid desperate attempt to contact the ghost that haunts my house and to ask it to leave or at least learn about it. Thankfully nothing happened but I kept feeling someone stare at me curiously wen I came home later that day. I then prayed for forgiveness from God and stayed up until the devil's hour had passed and passed out on the couch after a long night. I bless you and wish best of luck~Katherine~ 😲 ❤ 😊
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-01)
Hmmm do you think she could have put this all on? Either way to copy what BadJuuJuu mentioned hope you all have learnt a lesson even if it was the hard way, you shouldnt mess around with these devices. All the best.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: