You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: A Drunken, Paranormal Experience At Tequila Jacks

Real Ghost Stories

A Drunken, Paranormal Experience At Tequila Jacks

 

This is another weird, true experience that happened to me a few years ago.

As some of you may already know, I am a bartender by trade. I usually work during the day, which gives me my nights free to do whatever I want. Well, the first few years of bartending not only taught me how to mix drinks, but also how to hold my liquor, (which, ironically, I'm not really able to do anymore).

My boss at the time had taught me, "Never refuse a drink. Customers do not like to drink alone and if someone offers to buy you a drink, take it. Otherwise they will get offended, close out their tab, and wander down to the next bar, where the bartender WILL have a drink with them." Long story short, after a few months, I learned to stomach shots instead of an actual drink. A shot was quick, over in a second, and I was able to go back to my work immediately afterward. Tequila, preferably Patron or Casadores, became my drink of choice when offered.

After about 9 months of bartending, I was able to drink up to 8 shots in a 7 hour shift. Yes, I WAS drunk as a skunk, but the money in the until would be correct at the end of my day, people still got their drinks made correctly, and their food would still come out right and on time. Now, after 9 shots, none of that was possible for me, so I soon learned that 8 was my limit.

As I said earlier, I worked during the day, so by 6 o'clock, that just meant it was time for me to clock out and get the party started someplace else. On this particular day, the "party," was in Long Beach, CA, at a waterfront restaurant and bar that offered over 100 different tequilas. Tequila Jacks. My kind of place.

It was about 7 o'clock, the sun was just setting over the horizon, I had just gotten to the bar, and, although still buzzing, my earlier intoxication was starting to wear off. Upon arriving at Tequila Jack's, I ambled outside to the smoking patio that overlooked the marina. Staring out at the water, I set my purse on top of the wooden counter in front of me, so that I could pull out my cigarettes and lighter. Still watching the water, I lit up a cigarette, and pulled an ashtray over to me. Now this is where it gets strange.

There was a glass ashtray on the counter, about 10 inches away from me, to my left. This was the same ashtray I pulled closer in front of me once I lit my cigarette. However, as soon as I slid the ashtray in front of me, it slid right back to where it had been originally. Now, in most instances, that kind of occurrence would capture a person's attention.

But because I was still somewhat drunk, it really didn't register to me what had just happened. Instead, I just pulled the ashtray over to me again. Again the ashtray slid away from me, a full 10 inches, to where it had been. Again, while in my drunken state, I didn't find it strange, just a little irritating, and pulled the ashtray to me again a third time. Despite my drunk, disinterested state, the third time this ashtray slid away from me, it HAD captured the attention of someone else.

"Did you do that?" I heard someone ask on my right. I turned around to see who was speaking to me.

"Did I do what?" I asked the well dressed man on my right. He was about 40ish, middle aged, wearing business casual clothes, like he had just gotten off of work. A complete stranger to me. I had never seen him before in my life.

"That ashtray just moved without you touching it. I watched it. Did you do that?" he asked me.

I looked over to my left, at the runaway ashtray. Had that man not have said anything to me, I wouldn't have paid attention or even remembered this incident later to tell you guys.

"No. I didn't move the ashtray," I said smiling, thinking it was some kind of joke. In my tequila infused brain, the same one that didn't find it strange that an ashtray moved on its own, I was sure that this professional looking man was somehow behind the runaway ashtray, and was looking around for the hidden cameras that were capturing my dumb drunken butt on film. Until I once again pulled the ashtray to me, it slid away again, and I looked up at the man, my dumb smile slowly faded off my face. He looked alarmed, terrified, and, a few seconds later, angry.

"Are you some kind of witch?!" he roared at me.

Now I may have been drunk, oblivious, and a little slow on the uptake, but a witch I was not, and have never been. "I'm not a witch, I didn't move that ashtray, and how the hell do I know that YOU haven't been moving it somehow?!" I retorted back, sobering up a little.

He looked at me as though I had suddenly turned blue. "Well, I don't know what's going on, but I'm getting the hell out of here." With that, he turned around, and I watched him walk inside. I turned back around, watching the ashtray.

The tequila started kicking back in my brain. Maybe I CAN move things, I thought. Maybe that man was right, and I WAS some kind of witch, only I didn't know it yet. "Move," I quietly ordered the ashtray. Nothing happened. I felt around underneath the counter for some kind of magnet, something that would cause the ashtray to keep sliding back to its original spot. It was smooth underneath. Nothing was there.

"Move," I told it again. Nothing. I picked up the ashtray, put it in front of me, and watched it slowly slide away again. Slowly it dawned on me that I had nothing to do with this happening, it was outside of me, and it made a complete stranger look at me like I was a freak.

"I think I'm going to get out of here, too," I mumbled softly to myself, turning around to go back inside, and butting my cigarette out inside a different ashtray on the way.

Other hauntings by Fashionista777

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Fashionista777, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kiego (2 stories) (52 posts)
-2
11 years ago (2013-08-09)
I did my fair share of bartending and last time I checked (IN CALIFORNIA) its illegal to drink while bartending. I'm sure every bar has its own "way" of going about things but still... Just a little note. It also sounds to me like the ashtray was set on some sort of slick top at a slight incline... I have seen glasses move across a bar top because of spilled drinks under them... This story has been debunked... Youre welcome.
JulesVNess (3 stories) (14 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-15)
Now that is a great story! I love the way you chose to tell it, and how you remained so calm about the whole thing. ❀
SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-08)
I don't know why, but I felt the need to crack a "ghost of ash trays past" joke. I'll leave it alone, but next time I'm in that area I want to see if it'll do it for me. I've smoked for 8 years, recently trying to quit. I'll post if I find anything weird. May be a while before I visit Long Beach again. D:
Gavatar (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-02)
Considering your other stories, I'd say the chance of this event having anything to do with the location of "Tequila Jack's" are very slim.

And still considering your other experiences, here is sort of an odd question. Do you remember seeing the man who asked if you are a witch when you went back inside the bar?
DCinAZ (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-08)
I swear I could almost smell the ocean reading this! πŸ˜‰ Put the top down, crank up the tunes and cruise the coast at sundown...aaaahhh. What a life! 😁
DCinAZ (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-08)
I know I'm kind of late to the game here but, this was freakin' hilarious! It brings back a lot of memories of So.Cal. And bartending. I had completely forgotten about the 'beer chaser'! Holy Crap, I needed a good laugh! Thanks Fashionista777, may you age like wine and become a 'Crazy Old Broad' someday. (Do bartenders still use the old sayings anymore?)
CielandSebastianLuver (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-05)
This story is pretty funny and very interesting. πŸ˜† I really like how it mess with your drunkin' head. πŸ˜†
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-01)
Hi, Love Your Story and it's funny whatever that move the Ashtry If my dad are alive or stepdad smoke out of patio with that ashtry it would have move and he would freak out lol... Also Maybe it some person that had died of heart attack from smoking Never know... Like I say Love your Story.
a1222222 (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-28)
Fasionista777, Thanks for your comment on my story. To answer your question, I felt other things in the Hotel before but they felt like my mind playing tricks on me. Such as, feeling like people are watching me, stuff like that. All the other stories that are told on TV regarding the Roosevelt, I never saw anything like that.
Thanks again and be safe. πŸ˜†
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-07-28)
Hey Fashionista777: Thanks for the update I wonder if anything like that will keep continuing then? It did seem as if it was intelligent so I don't think it would have moved on as yet? Did anything else strange happened to you whilst you were there again? Hope no one called you a witch, that would have been the last straw 😁

Thanks

Dan
Fashionista777 (4 stories) (57 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-27)
Hi everybody, I just went back to Tequila Jack's last night and wanted to post an update. The restaurant has been remodeled since my experience here occurred. The inside of the restaurant is now a bright red, all new tables and chairs on the patio, and they have removed the patio bar railing that I described in my story. They DID keep a section of it though, it is the section directly outside of the bar on the patio. The patio railing on the side of the restaurant, where the ashtray had moved on me, has been removed. It is now just a regular railing.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-19)
Hey Fashionista, if you do Google the first season my friend was on the very first episode shown, Dan Aykroyd was the celebrity guest judge. Her name is Tracy, tall, skinny, and tattooed. I have no idea how she does it. All I know is that it involves some kind of liquor, she prefers Jack or Jamison and a lighter. She's crazy πŸ˜† Oh no, I can't believe that happened to you with the bottle spinning 😲 That must have hurt. Well if someone decides to make another coyote ugly type movie, you should definitely audition. Hey... You never know πŸ˜‰
Fashionista777 (4 stories) (57 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-16)
Hi Michelle, thanks for your question. No, I never found out who or what was moving that ashtray. Before I posted my story I had done a google search to find out if anyone else had a weird experience there, but nothing else has been posted. I don't know if I've been the only one, or it's just that I'm the first to post about this place, so no, I've never found out anything since.
Hi UnknownKarmic, thank you for your post. Yes, it's the Tequila Jacks right next to the Yardhouse at Shoreline Village in Long Beach. It's so cool to know someone who has actually been to the place I wrote about! I haven't been back there in a few years, but after writing to you, I've got a hankering to go back soon and see if anything strange happens out on the patio! God bless you and your family.
Hi cosmogal 926, thank you so much for your sweet post. That is so awesome about your friend being on Bartender Wars, I want to google the first season now so I can see her! How does she spit fire through her fingers? I always wanted to learn to spit fire, but my mom made me promise never to try it, she gets so scared at stuff like that, lol! I used to be really good at flaring (spinning the bottles up in the air) until one time I got too cocky and threw the bottle to high up, shattered the light, and gave myself a black eye with a falling shard of glass. Looked like I got beat up, ha ha! When the "Coyote Ugly Search" had open auditions, I was THIS close to going, but I lost my nerve at the last minute.
Hi Dark4Ever, thank you for your post, I'm glad you found it fun. I'll be posting another story soon, and I look forward to reading more of your posts.
Hi zzsgranny, what you said about people not believing even if there IS a camera around is so true. Now I'm going to have to read whitebuffalo's story.
Hi chopis, hey, at the risk of sounding lame, what's the deal with the lollipops? I've never heard anything about them, except for this one story I read once in the book,"Thirteen."
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-07-12)
Great story, going right into my favs 😊 I also thought about that movie Coyote Ugly while reading your story. A good friend of mine is a bartender, she was actually on the very first episode of Bartender Wars. Her talent is spitting fire through her fingers. LOL! I agree with granny and think the ghost was just messing with you. Probably giving him or herself a good laugh too. I can't believe the nerve of that guy accusing you of being a witch. I being of a very saracastic nature myself would have turned around and been like Yeah!, now that you found me out I'm going to have to turn you into a poodle. πŸ˜† Thanks for sharing this story with us. I really enjoyed it. 😊
UnknownKarmic (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-08)
Hi Fashionista777,
I've been to Tequila Jacks... Down by the Yardhouse right? I was there in a different capacity (family dinner), but we were seated out on the Patio/Deck as well. It's great to hear/read a local "ghost" story... Especially with actual names attached. Thanks for the story, I'll make a point to visit TJ's sometime soon and you can believe I'll be looking for some "activity"... God Bless
michelle455 (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-06)
Fashionista:
Did you find out who or what was moving the ashtray?
chopis (78 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-06)
Hi Fashionista,:)
Thanks for the comments, well, like the lollipops, the world might never know what happened with that Astray! LOL 😜
Dark4ever (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-06)
Its really a good experience. I like your Writting style. I find fun rather than fear by reading your story. I will look forward for your Next story.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-07-06)
Fashionista: Sometimes even having video cameras around doesn't mean any body will believe it... Read Whitebuffalo's story "Four In The Morning Is Too Early"...LOL...All kind of stuff going on, and everyone was having a "mass hallucination"! πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Fashionista777 (4 stories) (57 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-06)
Hi Darkness,
Thank you for your sweet compliments. I always enjoy reading your posts.
I also wonder if anyone else has experienced anything there.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-06)
Fashionista777: Have to agree with everyone here wonderful story and very well written, well what a cheeky ghost eh didn't want to share the ashtray haha. Chopis came up with a good theory although the amount of times it happened doesn't really make sense. I wonder if anyone else has experienced anything at this bar? Very interesting.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
Fashionista777 (4 stories) (57 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-05)
Hi Zander,
Thank you for your sweet compliments about my story. 😁
I'm sorry your poor friend had to live through that, and glad to hear that she's not in that barrack anymore. So she overheard about the haunted barracks while she was still living there? That's pretty scary.
Fashionista777 (4 stories) (57 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-05)
Hi Claudia (Chopis), thank you for your comment. That is a great question, no need at all to apologize for being skeptical. I'm open to all possibilities, ideas, and constructive criticism. You got my brain juices flowing on that one πŸ€”
Okay, what I remember is that I was on the outside patio, which overlooked the water. The patio was enclosed by a 4 ft. High "ledge," which separated the bar/restaurant from the outside boardwalk. The reason I call it a "ledge," is because it didn't just serve as a barrier between the restaurant patrons and people walking along the boardwalk, it was used as a place to set down drinks. Consisting of thick, dark colored wooden posts, it was topped by a 2in. Thick, about 5 inch wide wooden counter, even darker than the posts which held it up. The posts and counter looked worn, but not ancient, if I had to guess I would say probably about 10-15 years old. I remember that the wood on the top of the counter had ridges, like from weather or wear, and when I felt underneath for a magnet, the wood felt slightly grainy, like it had never been polished. The top of the counter had a sheen to it, like it had waxed in the past week or so. I don't remember seeing any wet spots or rings on the wood, but then again, I didn't notice a moving ashtray either πŸ˜† Sorry this post is so long, I wanted to be as descriptive as possible. I hope I cleared it up for you.
One thing I've wondered since the incident is that if I would have had a tape measure on me at the time, was the ashtray moving back to the EXACT same spot, or was it just a little off?
Fashionista777 (4 stories) (57 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-05)
Hi haysw1012,
I agree with what you're saying about poltergeist activty almost always occuring when there aren't any cameras present. My other story, "Real Poltergeist Experience in a Bar," occurred when there were no cameras present.
Fashionista777 (4 stories) (57 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-05)
Thanks to all of you who left a comment, and thanks to everyone who has read my story.
Louie, glad to hear you're not worried about me anymore πŸ˜†. Thanks for the compliment about my story.
whitebuffalo, your phrase, "non-expertise on bartending," was hilarious. You made me laugh out loud (LOL) with that one. Were you ever a bartender? The movie "Coyote Ugly" is one of my faves, even before I started bartending. Hope you were able to see it πŸ˜‰
Blue_raven80, thank you for putting my story in your favorites. I'm glad you found it both scary and funny. I hope you get to take your "1st shot ever" of tequila really soon 😁
chopis (78 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-05)
Well, don't want to be the sceptic here but, did you notice if there was water on the table?, that happened to me with a cold coke (a can), and it slide on my desk (the desk had a glass surface), after I dried it with a napkin it did stop sliding:)

Cheers,

Claudia
Zander (7 stories) (146 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-05)
Excellent account. Wonderfully written.

You reminded me of a haunted air force base residence a friend of mine told me about. Before acknowledging to one another that the place was haunted, she and her roomate were blaming one another for the strange goings on. One day my friend passed a girl she didn't know out on the commons. She overheard the stranger discussing with someone how the barracks where she used to live was "haunted as hell". One and the same barracks where my friend was living at the time. It was a US air force base in England.
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-04)
Very nice story!
I wish I could take a shot of tequila.
Never had one in my life. LOL.
Scary but funny story.
I'll put this in my favorites as well.
Cheers. πŸ˜‰
louie (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-04)
Glad to hear that! Great story then I was kind of worried about you 😁
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-04)
πŸ˜† THANKS! You just reminded me of that scene from the movie! 😊 I just HAD to share my hit and miss (did not always get that chaser thing right) non-expertise on bar tending when I saw it in the comments.
Now I am going to have to see if there is a copy of that movie here at work to fill my hours today...
Wa-do.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: