You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Old Man's House

Real Ghost Stories

The Old Man's House

 

First off, I'm from Adelaide Australia, I'm a 19 year old girl and I can be a little skeptic about ghost stories and such because they can be blown out of proportion all too easily. But this is my story and I hope you can help answer some of my questions.

When I was three years old we moved into a new house, it was built in 1911 and only one family ever lived in it. The man, who lived in the house before us, was the son of the man who built the house. He died in the house when he was 82 and that was six months before me moved in. It's an old, one story brick house with a small wine cellar. My current bedroom was his old bedroom and when we moved into the house, there were bars and chicken wire covering the windows (he was agoraphobic), all of the other windows had heavy, metal bars on them but didn't also have the chicken wire. He didn't die in my/his bedroom; he had a heart attack in an outside toilet that's not longer there.

I started having nightmares as soon as I was moved into my room, but whether this is because I was young, if the change disrupted me or if the room had an eerie feeling I don't know, probably all put together. I used to wake up in the early hours of the morning (I was talking to my mother and she said I had a knack for waking up every night at three am, and yes, I've heard what people say about three am but I'm not 100% sure I buy into it.), screaming, crying and extremely cold even if it was a warm night and I had blankets on. This carried on until I was 6 until my parents gave up on thinking that I would grow out of it and I slept in my parent's bed until I was 10. Just after my 10th birthday I wanted to try sleeping in my room again, but by now I was able to recognize that it had a strange, cold feeling to it. Even my father, who is the biggest skeptic I know, agreed.

I continued to have nightmares but now I could remember them, it felt like I was in a room with everybody and everything I loved but every time I tried to touch anything I would feel this soaring pain through my chest and I'd screech and cry in my dreams. After I woke up I would calm myself down and go back to sleep, wanting to be a big girl. After about a month the nightmares stopped, or I just slept through them.

When I reached the age of 12 I started seeing three apparitions that would all come at the same time. One was of a man hunched over and he would be close to my bed just looking at me with this blank, dark eyes. The other was of a tall man, in a priest's outfit who was slowly coming toward me. The last one was just a face, floating in mid air with a scratch on his eye and a bruised lip. The thing is, it was all the same man and they all had the same face, I'm certain of it. And it was the same every time.

After about a year, when I'd finally convinced myself that I wasn't making it up I tried talking to the hunched man near my bed. But as soon as I uttered my first syllable (even at the time, I'm wasn't sure what I was going to say) he let out a screech, the same as I heard in my dreams. The next morning my mother asked me if I'd had a nightmare because she'd heard me screeching.

I've never really told anybody because I was nervous people would simply think I was making things up because I was a child. I don't see the three ghosts as often anymore but lately I've been having my old nightmare again and I was looking for a couple of suggestions as to why they might have started again? And what are your opinions on seeing the same man as three different apparitions? Anything you can tell me would be a great help! And sorry this is long, thank you!

Other hauntings by zoeee15

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, zoeee15, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

zoeee15 (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-23)
Ahh! I'm sorry I haven't been replying to anything, we had some bad storms and they screwed around my internet connection, sorry.
Arithod: But he's never really scared me, I mean, I'm frightened of what is going on, but I've never been scared of him, I get a feeling of being incredibly lonely, and very sad.
Zzsgranny: nothing really new, the feeling has been getting stronger and stronger, and it's almost as if I know he's coming, he's just building up the energy to do so.
When he does come, I'll try to talk to him again.

About two weeks ago I remembered what happened this summer, and I'll post a story telling it. I can't believe I forgot... But it'll be up sometime soon... After I've done my exams 😢!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-07-11)
Zoe: Just checking up, how's things lately?...Any news for us? ❤
Aya-Love-Carrots (150 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-07)
😁 Haha... Finally I got in! Dash-it-all! My gprs is to slow now a day... Anyway nice story:p aarrghh... I think I would have passed out if I saw a ghost like that, ^o^ I don't really think his dangerous, and showing you a three face? Hmmm... I guess it has a connection on how he died, if his trying to communicate, talk to him, well I think he won't stop until he got what he wanted, anyway take care... 😊 and thank you again for sharing your story...

-Aya Bana
Arithod (15 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-06)
this may sound odd but I think what your dealing with is a nightmare. Not a dream but a creature that feeds off of fear. They induce terror into ones mind while they sleep and feed off of a person while the can't fight back. The form it takes is based on what it thinks will cause the most fear. Try putting some mug wort in your pillow case and hanging some over your door. Please email me if this continues
Arithod (15 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-05)
first this is not the haunting of a spirit that needs to move on. Spirits left on this plane barely have enough energy to keep themselves visible let alone create copies. I don't know what this is at the moment but be careful if you do try making contact again. I'll do some research and get back to you. If you need to email me nightbreed_504 [at] hotmail.com
zoeee15 (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-05)
I can feel the presence getting stonger and stronger, it's a strange feeling, it's getting heavy in my room, as if somethings coming.
Zzsgranny: the dreams are becoming really frequent again so I deffinately think you're right about him trying to communicate through the dreams. The dreams are exactly the same, just somehow, darker?
I he does appear again I'll try to let him know that he'll be happier if he crosses over, and that is what's best for him.
Firey-redhead: I live in Unley:).
I'll certainly keep you all posted, mainly just so you can help me figure out what to do!
Thanks again!
Xox.
firey-redhead (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-04)
very interesting story. I'm from Adelaide too and I'm just interested where abouts you are. I love hearing about places that a close to home that have entity's around. Not very often it happens in Adelaide lol.
You should try talking to him mentally or physically to see if he will reply. I would suggest doing it mentally first because as you mentioned earlier before you even got a word out he was the one that was screeching. I wonder why that is? Maybe he was in shock too that you had finally noticed him and were going to say something. Please keep us posted. Very interested as to what happens...
LordOfDarkeningShadows (4 stories) (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-04)
this sounds really creepy. You should try communicating with him to see if that gets rid of him, and no matter what, don't be afraid
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-07-03)
Zoe: That's so funny!...Small world!...

Anyway, I think you may be right, the visits may start up again... One thing you have to remember is to try not to be afraid... If you feel you can communicate with him, either outwardly, or mentally, explain to him that his loved ones are waiting for him in the light and he must go there... Also let him know that his pain and loneliness will be gone... If you need help to do this I would suggest a reputable medium to assist you...

The more I think about it, the dreams seem to be the best way he has to get his point across to you... I really think you're experiencing what he did shortly after he passed...

😢
zoeee15 (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-03)
zzsgranny: Really, I was named after my grandma, haha:).
I understand what you mean with how he would be in pain and to help him cross over, but how would I do that?

It used to happen at least once a week, for about three years. And the dreams would be about every second night. And that was fr about three years.
But now the dreams have come back, and I'm not sure, but it feels like the presence has gotten stronger, like maybe the apparitions are going to come back?
And it's just hit me, but my boyfriend has recently left for Germany, to live there, so I've been very lonely, so maybe that could be why it's gotten stronger again?
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-07-03)
Zoe: That's my grand-daughter's name, by the way 😊...I think he's appearing to you in the different guises, to figure out which one you're least afraid of... The chest pains may mean that you have psychic empathetic tendencies... In other words, you can feel what he was feeling in his last moments... I don't think he means to harm you, but it would be a good idea to try to assist him in crossing over... It seems to me he still feels that pain, physical and emotional... And we don't want anyone to be in pain...

You say you don't see them as often, but how often exactly?...I mean what is the average length of time between "visits"?...Do the visits co-incide with any particular time of the month, year, season etc.?...

I think maybe your nightmares have started up again as a result of the incidents having never been resolved... And he's trying to get your attention once again...

Good luck, keep us posted!

zoeee15 (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-03)
Thanks for your comments, I really do want to know what other people think.
I know the old man had a son but I doubt I'd be able to track him down, I don't even know his name. And I do have some neighbours that have lived there for a while but they're now very old and I'm not sure that they're quite with it so I wouldn't want to disturb them in any way.
Also BadJuuJuu I do believe his lonely, I've always been frightened of him, but I've never felt threatened.
And 23_Chantelle_23 I've talked to my mum about it and she believes me, so that's really helped.
Thanks again, more imput would be greatly appreciated!
:).
ghostgrl (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-03)
idk, maybe he has something unsettled and wants you to go back and settle it for him. Maybe he was murdered and wants you to plot revenge on the murderer. Good luck! 😁
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-03)
You say he died of a heart attack and that you had nightmares of chest pains. For what it's worth, I'm wondering if he may have been lonely when he died and is trying to connect to you. His appearing in 3 different guises, perhaps he is trying to tell you about his life and experiences. If he has any relatives in the area, or any neighbors that have lived there for a while, talk to those people and see if you can find out anything. Just a thought.
23_Chantelle_23 (84 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-03)
that sounds horrible! I would have peed myself 😆 you should really talk to somebody experienced about this, they might be able to help identify the apparations or more of the old mans history, and you'll probs feel better if you share it with someone you trust to believe you ❤
Keep us posted 😊
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-02)
I think your a logical person who has already given these experiences some skeptical consideration... My opinion is two fold... I believe these apparitions you saw where real... But perhaps on some occasions where just nightmares... Especially the part where this apparition was screeching at you... The eerie feeling you described, probably was the presents of this elderly man that died in this house... I doubt whether he had any deliberate intentions to scare you, as I know that eerie feeling well... My ghosties, as my good friend granny calls them, are of friendly nature but at times give me those jittering sensations... But I do understand how the memory of this experience was not a pleasant one, thank you for sharing...

Daz
monica13mae (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-02)
look into what the dreams might mean.
Usually what is ever in your dreams comes from your psyche is thinking
Its kind of like what's going on deep inside your mind
The apparitions, on the other hand, I don't know. 😕 I'd be freaked out of my mind if I saw that while I'm trying to sleep at night

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: