You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Cemetery Experience Which Will Go To My Grave

Real Ghost Stories

Cemetery Experience Which Will Go To My Grave

 

Around ten years ago when I was 18 I had an experience that I have been unable to forget or to explain since. I'm not sure what relevance this has to my story but my friend had recently committed suicide aged only 15 years old. As you would expect this hit our group of friends very badly and we were all upset. Whenever we were together having a few beers we would inevitably start talking about our friend and it would be quite emotional.

Very close to where we all lived there is a large old cemetery which is no longer used. The grounds are still maintained but there are no burials anymore and most of the graves are so old that they are no longer visited by relatives of the deceased. Some of the graves are quite spectacular and are considerably larger than the types of headstones used on graves these days. The only visitors to the cemetery are dog walkers which made the area an ideal place for us teenagers to hang out in and drink cider. Not something that I am proud of looking back but we didn't vandalize the place. Much of the cemetery is woodland with winding footpaths where we could walk around after dark and be as noisy as we wanted without attracting the attention of the local residents (our parents!). As cemeteries go, by anyone's standards it is a scary looking place and certainly many people would never want to go there after dark. However we had grown up beside it and had played in it since we were nine years old. We knew the place like the back of our hands and we weren't scared in the slightest when we were there.

One night my friend and I had both been drinking although we were by no means drunk. We got talking about our friend who had recently committed suicide as we walked around the cemetery again and again. This is when I had my experience. From nowhere I suddenly had an overwhelming 'feeling' of what I can only describe as 'impending doom'. It was a horrible, frightening feeling and is something that I had never experienced before or since. I turned to my friend to say something about it but before I opened my mouth he said - and this will go to my own grave - 'did you feel that?!' I can't remember what my response was but we walked on in silence as quickly as we could and went straight out of the cemetery. I was too scared to look back and the 'feeling' didn't follow us. We met up with our friends and told them what had happened and they still remember it to this day.

I have thought about this experience many times since that night and I just can't explain it. I wasn't brought up to be religious and I would describe myself as being very skeptical of most 'supernatural' stories. To be honest, most of the time I think that there must be a simple explanation for this. We were in a cemetery, it was night time and we were talking about our dead friend. It isn't hard to see how that could have spooked us. But other times, I think to myself that there must be more to it than this. We weren't scared of the cemetery. We weren't telling ghost stories. I know what I felt and I know - I *know* - that he felt something at the same time and without me giving any indication that I was also feeling something. I just can't explain it and the scariest thing of all, the thing that scares me even to this day - is if what we felt really was supernatural, then it was evil. Absolutely without question it was evil, and that scares me more than anything.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Rolly, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sillysarahlily (12 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-28)
I feel sorry for you as your friend commited suicide. I would say I'm lucky as I talked my friend out of it as he was feeling low at the time and he only had me as a mate at the time it wass't that no one liked him it was he fell out with them all but then he made friends with Kyle and Shomal.

It was a big thing for me to preusade him not to comitte suicide as I feel like I saved someones life
MMAHMED611 (16 posts)
-1
14 years ago (2010-08-05)
The Jinn eating feces and bones? Of all the things to eat, why would they choose these as food?
-----

For the Jinn, every bone that had the name of God recited upon it (a prayer said before a human ate the meat over the bone), will be covered with flesh/meat when they pick it up. This is how bones are their food.

And like us, the Jinn have their animals and livestock and the droppings of our animals is the food for their animals.

I hope this is clear.

- MMAhmed.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-12)
Rolly--
A good account, thanks for the clarity. One thing that seems evident, beyond your memory of this experience, is that other self-creeping-out experiences don't stick in your mind the way this one did. What does that tell you?
It seems to me quite possible or even probable that you and your friend were open in vulnerable ways during your stroll through the graveyard, and something nasty rose up to take advantage. I do not think this was your young late friend. A person does not hang himself because he's angry. (Two friends of mine went away by the rope.)
A mature mind, even a scientist's, knows how to change his or her mind based on new evidence. It isn't good to get encrusted. Nothing existing can resist change.

As far as I know, the Bible is not a history book. It's a book about humanity's discoveries about the spirit, the anima, and how variously individuals deal with those discoveries. Religions are no more and no less, systems of codified commonly-held beliefs to indicate how we can put them into action during the course of our lives. You don't have to even think of "faith." Think "behavioral science."

Take to heart especially what aussiedaz says. When we're serious about seeking knowledge, we have to step into the unknown again and again and again. And there's plenty of it to go around!
Best to you ~ James
The_Water_God (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-12)
My friend you were feeling impending doom beacuse your life was in danger what you were feeling meant you were about to run into black shook he is the guardian of cemetarys and only appears at night he shows up as a powerful demonic yet angelic looking black dog with glowing red eyes you will feel him coming as heat like you stepped into a fire but do not fear him the only reason you felt in danger is beacuse you vandalized the place he can be friendly as long as you are respectful go back one day at night and sit alone he will appear and sit beside you stay calm and he will to I often visit him in the cemetary up the street and will post a story about him soon
Tonja (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-12)
The Jinn eating feces and bones? Of all the things to eat, why would they choose these as food? 😆
Tonja (4 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-07-12)
People who suffer from severe depression and who end up taking their own life do have overwhelming feelings of impending doom. Perhaps your dead friend had somehow psychically impressed upon both of you about how he had felt while he was still alive. Now that you and your friend have experienced this dreadful, horrid emotion, both of you now can understand why he chose to end his life. 😭
MrsHungry (3 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-07-12)
sorry, if I'm repeating anything as I haven't read ALL the comments, but do you think it may have been your friend? Maybe that was the last feeling they had before they passed on... Anyway that's how it looks to me. Sorry for your loss xoxo
secrets (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-12)
its not a demon when they are about to do something the air around heats up and demons leave soot in the places they have been it might be an entity mad at something you might have did on accident
EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-12)
I agree with zzgranny not everything evil is a demon bad people don't change not even after death unless they ask for forgiveness and redemption from God and Jesus Christ, praise them both, maybe it was a keeper or just a pissed off ghost that doesn't like people disturbing the peace. Always respect the neighbors 😆 😲 😳 I'm sorry for your loss God bless~Katherine~
thefreakshow6492 (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-11)
Luke786-could you please be brief about lucidipedia... Is it some kind of state we undergo during sleep.
Could we opt for the ouija...?this is our first time...spooky...damn!
Nephele (3 stories) (101 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-11)
maybe it was where you were in the cemetery that made it that wayy...
butthead (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-11)
im guessing you just felt something was there. Who or what I dunno. But just, someone. I think. I just sent in a 2nd story that is not published yet, in which I also felt the feeling of imminant doom. In a place which is scary to some and occasionaly to me but somewhere I would always drive my car late at night. When returning past the area where I previously felt this way at - but approximately 30 minutes later, something decided to show itself to me. Check out my story that should be posted any day and see if it sounds familier, the feeling.
If so then I think you just sensed something that if you stayed around longer you would have been made more aware of. My opinion, of course.
Luke786 (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-11)
Just keep trying to hear him in dreams. My grandpa uncle uncles friend and many others from my family have gone through sh*t uwouldnt believe. I am sure of that. Also go to lucidipedia a lucid dream may clear out what hes saying?
thefreakshow6492 (4 posts)
-1
14 years ago (2010-07-11)
bro I have lost my best frnd who was on the bike and crashed... He was about to meet my other frnd... He was of my age that is 18... He comes in my frnds dreams and tries to tell something but not clear... Could we opt for the ouija process... He was my dearest frnd... Plz advice the safest way we can contact him...
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-11)
You know something, those here in this community that know me, may have forgotten that some years back I too where an atheist... I know where your coming from... There is no way possible back then could I believe in all of this and thinking about it now, there is no way I thought I'd be offering advise on the paranormal the way I do, I can still remember boasting to my friends with out reservation, when your dead your dead "period" what are you all frighten of... But as you pointed out this experience may be a life changing one... That has steered you in the same direction as me... Perhaps here you will find some answers that may change you thoughts on the after life and give you some peace of mind... You will see your friend again one day.

Regards best wishes Daz😁
Rolly (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-11)
Osa - Your comment really affected me. One of the darkest thoughts about our friend's suicide that I have fought to bury away is the thought of what was going through his mind as he hung himself. When a person kicks the chair away there is no going back and there must be some overwhelming feeling of 'this is it - I am going to die'. I have never previously seen the connection to what we experienced in the cemetery and this last moment for him. I wish I had never posted anything on this site now as I don't think I will ever be able to forget this link.

I have told the story to a number of people over the years and have had a mixed response. People generally just don't believe ghost stories and think that you are either lying or there is an explanation. To be honest I am the same and have rarely heard any story which I would give much credibility to.

However, the incident in the cemetery was experienced by me and I know what I felt. If I were on my own at the time I would always have my doubts as I could have just been majorly spooked but the difference here is that my friend also experienced the same 'feeling'. Importantly, it was him who asked me if I felt anything not the other way around! If I asked him and he said yes then I would have my doubts as I may have influenced him. I know I wasn't influenced as I was already experiencing 'it' when he asked me.

To tell you a bit about myself, I am not quite an atheist but I have difficulty believing in religion however I respect it and think that it is possible that there could be more to life than what we see. I have trouble believing the bible as there are so many conflicts with proven science. Basically, for me to 'believe' I have always felt I would need more than just 'faith'.

This incident is potentially life changing for me as either;

1. By sheer coincidence I suddenly experienced a horrible feeling of 'impending doom' at the same time as my friend who was walking beside me.
2. We experienced something that is not supernatural but has not yet been scientifically explained.
3. OR - we experienced a ghost which in turn proves that there is some form of life after death.

I am convinced that it wasn't just sheer coincidence. I cannot stress enough that the cemetery is not a scary place for us. We rode our bikes in it when we were young, we picked conkers off trees, we built swings off trees and we hung out at night when we were in our teens. We weren't talking about ghosts or trying to do a ouija board. There is really no way that we could have spooked ourselves - especially at exactly the same time considering that we had been in the cemetery for about an hour!

This then leaves only two more options - one supernatural and one not yet explainable by science. It's not difficult to understand why it's so hard for me to forget that night.
Osa (1 stories) (70 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-11)
The impending doom you felt was impressed on both of you by your friend who had committed suicide, at least that is the way I see it. Most people can't fathom why someone would end their life. That is because most have never been sucked so far down into the abyss. Mental illness, mental imbalance, influence under drugs, etc can be just as devastating and as real as having a disease such as diabetes, cancer, heart disease and so on. It is a legitimate disease, especially depression. This was just your friend's way of letting you know how they felt so maybe, just maybe, you would understand how hard it was for them to continue, feeling like this day in and day out.
thefreakshow6492 (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-11)
hi I'm from India... What you have experienced might be an entity in its usual form for disturbing them near their graves or like go away for example. Well I would've been pissed if someone were in my spaces... As they always say, never disturb the neighbour!
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-10)
I feel the fact that you where in a cemetery late at night, drinking as well... And talking about your friend... Probably had your nerve endings on trigger position and when your feeling like that, just a shift of wind could be miss interpreted as something ghostly... It is possible, that there were ghost at the cemetery, who where glad your senses where on anticipation and decided to give you two a little payback, for hanging at the cemetery on the drink and I'm sure on some previous occasions, you guys may have crossed the line in the name of a little fun... No offense, just my opinion and sorry for the loss of your friend...

Daz
Aya-Love-Carrots (150 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-07-10)
I agree with Watersprite! STOP THINKING THAT EVERYTHING IS A "DEMON" there are some vengefull spirit that can cause mischief as I said Spirit not demon! There are also what we Called Elemental Spirit (example, fairies, drawfs etc.) this are not ghost (for ghost are spirit that came from humans or animals) they can also cause some misfortune! Stop claiming that it always cause by a demon! Believeing something like that will make a demon powerful! Duh! 😊 peace out!

-Aya Winchester
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
14 years ago (2010-07-10)
Rolly: I don't think this was a demon... I believe that cemeteries are consecrated and hallowed grounds...Yes, there could be restless spirits in residence, and possibly some downright mean ones... But not all nasties are "demons"...Though you're sure that the sensation you had was brought on by the presence of evil, it doesn't make it a demon... If a person is evil in life, they will be after life... Charles Manson, Ted Bundy, and many others are evil, however, they're not demons, nor will they ever be...
I think if you had the chance to meet Good Ole Charlie face to face, the feeling would be the same...

I'm glad the entity didn't follow you...Also, I have a theory that all cemeteries have what I call a "keeper"...A spirit that watches over the the dearly departed in their final resting place, to ensure that no one disturbs them... This could possibly have been what you sensed, even though you believe you were being resectful... The "keeper" may have been upset with the fact that you were under-age drinking there, so he figured if he gave you a little fright, you'd leave, and it worked!
😆

MMAHMED611 (16 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-10)
Here's what I know about "demons". Again, I am not trying to impose my version, but laying down facts that I know.

1. The so called "demons" are nothing but another creation of the Almighty God, called Jinn, and the only other creation of God besides humans that have been given a free will. Like humans, they will be judged for their actions and will either go to paradise or hell.

2. The Jinn were created before humans, and lived on the earth before God created Adam (peace be upon him), the father of all humans. Adam was created from dust/clay whereas Jinn were created from a smokeless flame of fire.

3. "Satan" or "Iblees" was from among the Jinn (could have been the father of all Jinns), a very pious one, and was held in high esteem and lived among the angels. He was asked by God to prostrate to Adam, to which he refused saying he was superior to Adam, as he was created from fire.

4. Satan/Iblees was thrown out of heaven and vowed to avenge and mislead humanity until the day of resurrection.
**This is the real reason why they hate us humans so much and try to inflict harm and misguide us.

5. Most of the Jinn are disbelievers, and believe in Satan as their master and lord, but some of them are true believers in God and pious. There are christian jinn, jewish jinn, muslim jinn, hindu jinn etc. I.e. Those among them that follow certain religions. Their society has a tribal structure, they marry amongst themselves and have children. Smoke is among their foods. Also, bones and droppings of animals are the food for the Jinn and their cattle respectively.

6. All magic and fortune-telling is done with the help of these Jinn. The magicians and fortune-tellers have a kind of agreement or pact with one of the leaders of the jinn, and please them by worshiping them, offering sacrifices to them and by disobeying God and His commandments, and they in turn help them by fulfilling their needs and wishes.

7. The number of Jinn is approximately twice the number of humans in this world.

8. And last but not the least, for those who say that Jinn are "imaginary beings" and do not really exist, try relieving yourself under a tree (possibly after dark) or a hole in the ground, or use a bone or dry droppings of animals to clean any impurity - you will become a believer of their reality and existence, but will regret doing what you did.

9. Each human has been assigned by God, a partner from among the Jinn, called Qareen, who stays with him from birth until death, and then stays by the grave of the dead person. The so called "spirits of dead people" are nothing but their partner-jinns or "qareen". Google the word "qareen" to learn more about it.
**If you do not know, some magicians go to the graveyards at night time and perform certain rituals - to capture these partner-jinns and make use of them for their tasks.

You guys must be saying "what is this guy talking about?". All I can say is that I know about them, by the grace of God, a lot more than many of you can imagine. Also, know that interacting with them (either good or bad jinns) is strictly prohibited, and they can very easily ruin your life.

As I said again, I am just mentioning what I know to be facts about these "other dimensional creatures".

Take care guys...
MMAhmed.
23_Chantelle_23 (84 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-09)
sorry for your loss I have read a few stories with people suddenly getting the sensation of impending doom, interesting and I'm glad it didn't follow you home, I pray your friend is at peace despite the way she left. Being in a graveyard a really old one probs wasn't the best idea lol I don't think it was neccaserily (cant spell to save myslef) a demon but maybe it was a sad spirit or ghost that had a similiar or equally unhapy ending as your friend
Icepaw67 (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-09)
I agree with watersprite that ANNOYS me SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much!

~Ice~
JazzRaym (36 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-09)
You really don't have to visit cemeteries, even if you're not scared, don't mess around with that.
Watersprite (3 stories) (85 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-07-09)
Please no offense meant against shinigamivixen, but there are way too many shows on tv propagating this myth of demons being everywhere. If I could change one thing on this web site, it would be to please stop thinking everything is a demon. I personally do think there are some extremely negative spirits in the world that could be considered "demons," but the vast majority of bad feelings and terror are caused by entities that are "ghosts" of deceased people or nature spirits. Nature spirits are very strange because they have never been and never will be "human," so they seem bizarre to us. Deceased people who were creepy or mentally ill in this lifetime will be exactly the same in the next dimension. God does not "wave a magic wand" and save people from their decisions to be evil and mistreat other people.

All that being said, I do agree with shinigamivixen that perhaps you should avoid that cemetery, not just at night. (I'm sorry, maybe you said this, but do you still go there?) Whatever happened to come along, and it might not have originally even been there, it might follow you again. I also agree that ghosts and other entities can follow you home. It doesn't happen very often, but there are documented cases (including this fabulous site) that indicate this.

I am so very sorry about your friend, but it doesn't sound like your experience was related to the suicide. I would pray for your friend, even now, 10 years later. Prayer and good wishes are never wasted. I have had similar experiences, once in an old church basement (a recreation room for the teenagers), where I flew up the steps when the basement felt weird and creepy like something bad was about to happen. Again, it could have been anything or anyone, but not a demon. In any case, thank you so much for sharing this experience! And I apologize for being so long-winded! 😆

Watersprite ❤
shinigamivixen (25 posts)
-2
14 years ago (2010-07-09)
Id advise you to avoid really old cemeteries especially at night. Or try carrying a rosary or a cross with you. But it was lucky it didn't followed you if that happened then nothing short of a priest or a strong medium could help you it didn't sound like it was one of the kind ones either...o.0 And it was probably a demon or a really nasty spirit that wanted revenge. Those are the types to be avoided really...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: