You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Man In The White Shirt

Real Ghost Stories

The Man In The White Shirt

 

This happened only last week and although I'm not completely sure if it's paranormal it's certainly unexplainable. I've just finished my first year of my university degree and my boyfriend and I decided to take a break at his family holiday home on the beach for a few days. Before I begin let me tell you a little history. The house is a small cottage-like building and was built by my boyfriend's father and his uncle 25 years ago, so it is in no way old. It is on a beach in the Coromandel area of the North Island of New Zealand. Nobody else has ever occupied the house other than my boyfriend's family and at the time it was built it was one of the only houses at this particular beach. I have often heard faint footsteps at the house when no one else has been around or in the middle of the night when everyone's asleep but I've always just ignored them and put it down to creaky floorboards.

On to my story...

The first morning there my boyfriend had decided to get up early and go fishing while I slept in. It was late in the morning, around 10. 30am and obviously broad daylight. I awoke to the sound of footsteps and at first put them down to creaky floorboards as I usually do. This time though, the footsteps weren't faint sounding but quite clear, as if an actual person was walking around. I began to get quite scared when I realized my boyfriend wasn't home and I was alone. I lay in bed paralyzed with fear thinking there was an intruder in the house. I was too scared to move but kept my eyes glued to the door which was half open. After about 10 minutes of these continuous footsteps which sounded all over the house, a man suddenly appeared at the bedroom door. He was solid like a living human man which obviously made me think that that's exactly what he was. He was middle aged (maybe in his late 40s or early 50s) and was balding but had a little bit of light reddish-blonde hair. He was quite tall and slim and was wearing a white shirt with some kind of black pattern on it. His legs were hidden by the bed but I could see the top of his pants which looked like black dress pants. He stood at the door for a few seconds and then placed his hand on the door handle and took a step into the room, and then after about 5 seconds he just vanished into thin air right in front of my eyes.

Let me tell you I got the absolute shock of my life. I've always been interested in the paranormal but have never really had an actual ghostly experience, apart from an unexplainable experience when I was 10 years old. So after he vanished I just lay there paralyzed for a further 5 minutes trying to figure out what had just happened. I was so freaked out I called my boyfriend and asked him to come back. He didn't believe me (he still doesn't) but came home as soon as he could.

I know people often say they get a feeling from a spirit if that's in fact what this man was. The only feeling I got from him was that he was curious. I didn't feel as though he was at all evil or malicious, just curious. I didn't feel his presence again until the last night we were there. I was just about to drift off to sleep when I heard a really loud clicking sound. I ignored it until a few minutes later when it happened again. It sounded as though someone clicked their fingers but it was very loud and seemed to echo around the house. I woke my boyfriend who again didn't believe me and refused to check it out because he insisted that I was imagining things. I worked up the courage to check it out myself and went through every room in the house turning all the lights on in the process but found nothing. I felt as though someone else was in the house though, again it didn't feel evil in any way and I didn't exactly feel scared, more shocked.

So that's my story, I would appreciate if anyone could give me insight into who you think this man was and what he might have been doing? I'm not even sure if he was a spirit but I can't explain why he just vanished into thin air. I'm also not sure if the two events were connected or not. Anyway, any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Zealand

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, kiwi_girl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

kiwi_girl (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-14)
blue_raven: Yes both my boyfriend's dad and uncle are still alive. His uncle actually lives overseas now so it's definitely not him, plus this man looked nothing like either of them.

KiwiSpirit: That's a possibility, never heard of it though. Yes he did make eye contact with me and definitely seemed to know I was there. His footsteps were casual like an actual persons. But he seemed to be walking around all over the house, in every room, like he was on some kind of mission lol.

DeviousAngel: It's possible that it was a family friend that stayed there years ago I suppose.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-14)
You know, I have to wonder if this might be someone's astral projection. Is it possible that someone may have just stayed over at the house once and liked it enough to want to come back and see it again? They could have traveled there to look around and surprised you. I've heard of similar instances... Aussiedaz might be a better person to talk to about that!
KiwiSpirit (1 stories) (43 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-14)
Hi kiwigirl, Interesting and scary account you have shared. I wonder if the apparition is of the deceased nature (ghost) or could possibly be from some kind of time phase/shift ie, from a future event somehow relayed back in time. I mean, chances are that the holiday house won't be owned by one person forever. Just a spin on another possibility I thought I'd share.
A couple of questions: Did the man make eye contact with you or seem to notice you at all? Would the footsteps have been casual in the manner that usual occupants of a house would make, or were they unusual (fast/frantic) foot-steps?
I think it's pretty sad when one's own partner doesn't believe you and won't even check out a potential threat!๐Ÿ˜  SO much for male protection... Get a dog, I say.

I'd be interested to know more about your encounter.

Kiwispirit
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-13)
In my opinion it could be the gusrdian of the land or the house itself. Is your boyfriend's dad or uncle still alive? If they are, it could be just a spirit staying there since the house is not inhabited that much or if they are no longer living (uncle or dad), it could their spirit residing in the house since they are the ones who built it.
โค
Aya-Love-Carrots (150 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-13)
๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† badjuujuu nice idea! I will use my bankai to rip them off ๐Ÿ˜†

-Ayasegawa Yumichika
kiwi_girl (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-13)
Believe me guys, I almost did sh*t my pants when I saw him lol. It was only when I was thinking about it later on that I began to realise that he's probably nothing to be afraid of.

Aya: I think maybe he could be one of my boyfriends father's friends or a family member, although I'm not sure why he would choose to hang out down there, must be lonely having no one there most of the time.

James: You're right, what else could he have been right? Lol. I just couldn't believe it when it happened. I thought maybe I was daydreaming or something but I have never in my life had a daydream like that!

DARKNESS: Now that you mention it there is this particular old chest or drawers down there that belonged to my boyfriends grandmother who died about 4 years ago that my boyfriend's mum is always saying she wants to get rid of because it "creeps her out". Could be that?

Chantelle: I really hope my boyfriend does see him! I'd love to see the look on his face!

Anyway thanks for all the input guys. Keep it coming if you have any more ideas

๐Ÿ˜Š
23_Chantelle_23 (84 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-13)
Oh yeah and as for that boyfriend of yours! Just wait until he craps his pants ๐Ÿ˜† then say YOU don't believe HIM lol
23_Chantelle_23 (84 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-13)
Hey, my grandparents used to have a beach house down there for years it wasn't haunted but lol I loved going down there its great! Any way back to the story, - Pretty much what zzsgranny said I would have peed myself lol and Aya gave good suggestions too. A little family or house and land history might tell you something helpful
**LucK** โค
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-13)
Wow what I sight to see hey! Definitely would have scared the crap out of me specially of how formed it was. Some great suggestions already been brought up before me another idea is that this spirit is attached to a particular item or object that is residing in the home? Could explain the look of curiosity you described. Please keep us updated.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-12)
kiwi girl--
Come on! If it was not a man as dependably solid as your boyfriend and you, what else could he be but one who had crossed over, i.e., a spirit?
From your sense about him, it seems he may have been nervously pacing that first time, getting up his courage to let you see him.
Remember, guys don't like to admit to things they don't feel they can fight and win.
You seem courageous enough but always proceed with caution. Call divine protection upon yourself once you break free from your next frozen encounter (during it even better), and if this spirit is not benign, it will be apparent.
Just wait, I say, until your boyfrined encounters him.
Best to you ~ James
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-07-12)
kiwi girl: I like Moongrim's idea... Also if you could look through some of your boyfriend's old family photo albums, you may find the man you saw...

That aside, I think I would've sh*t my pants! LOL ๐Ÿ˜†...Specially since he was as solid as you say...Whew!...Funny isn't it?...If I can see through them I'm not scared! LOL...There's more to fear from the living than the dead! โค
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-12)
Draw out a picture of the person you saw.

I would imagine that the land or the house is significant to someone connected with the house/land. Showing the picture might jog the memories of those involved.
EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-12)
I like Aya's options. And yeah maybe he was related to you in a way. Ask around and find the background to the land in a library or ask your boyfriend's family about if anyone had died in there possibly. You never know, I wish you luck and keep us updated.~Katherine~ โค ๐Ÿ˜
Nephele (3 stories) (101 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-12)
I was going to say 2 from Aya.
Or maybe he's related to you in some kind of way.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-12)
Well, Aya's #3 was what I was going to say lol, although his #2 is a very good point as well. And in this case I think #2 is the correct answer. You describe the man as seeming curious. As the house is not a permanent residence, he is probably used to having the place to himself. In that case, he would be wondering who you were and why you were there. You don't seem particularly scared of him, and he doesn't seem dangerous. My thoughts would be to simply accept him as a part of the house.
Aya, your comment seemed well-reasoned and un-lazy to me. If anyone gives you grief, just use your Bankai. ๐Ÿ˜†
Aya-Love-Carrots (150 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-12)
Okay! I'm no expert, but I can give my theory right? ๐Ÿ˜† 1.) maybe the ghost was you guardian or it was connected to you in a way, (thats why you didn't find it evil)
2.) spirit do come to house that had been long emptied (you said it was a cottage like right? Cottages or summer house are usually emptied by time to time)
3.) maybe it was a ghost by the land it self like someone who died in there before the house was build. Or it was just a relative or friend of your boyfriends father,

๐Ÿ˜ that's my insight, thanks for reading if ever you read it, and thanks for sharing your story, do take care... -.- I hope I didn't say lazy stuff in this post so no one would criticise what I just say! Again I'm entitled to my on opion! ๐Ÿ˜Š

-Aya Winchester

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: