You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Shadow Wears A Hat

Real Ghost Stories

Shadow Wears A Hat

 

Over my life I have always "seen" figures- little boys' old ladies just all walks of human life appear and are gone in a flash. Never has this caused me any problems and never have they interacted or lasted too long. They are not a corner of an eye experience either but quite clear visions of people- I do not know what they are - I did not care as it did not affect me at all.

On one occasion myself and wife at the time went to view her child hood home that had come up for sale- my wife experienced some issues here with apparitions and ghosts and the home frightened her- she wished to return to have another look- She experienced nothing until that evening when she had a terrible nightmare- I initially experienced nothing. I passed the house on the way home from work every evening. The day after a "shadow" flew very fast and aggressively out of the house and into my car- although initially scary there was no further incident.

I moved into a new home in 2007 with my now ex wife. I regularly saw an old lady climbing the stairs and on occasion books would be moved on a shelf all fall off altogether- This "old lady" was the only vision so far that had interacted- it turned towards me and smiled- with granted freaked me out a great deal! I did not stop in this house long as my relationship broke down.

My new home and new partner were even more "haunted". Again though just visions of people in the house I saw figures a couple of times and again it was no issue to me as they did not interact at all.

One night my partner went off to bed and I locked up downstairs and turned off the downstairs lights. As I went to go upstairs a dark figure was standing there. It was huge and filled the stairway- no features but I could make out what appeared to be a dark shadow with a hat. The area went freezing cold. I feared for my wife so I approached the figure and walked through its presence. I got straight in bed. Immediately my wife sensed my fear and felt my freezing cold body (I am always warm). I explained what had happened. As soon as I did this the figure came into the room. We held each other as it "sat" on the bed. The figure then disappeared.

The apparitions and appearances of figures continued and we never spoke of the incident with the huge dark figure. Until it came up with my spiritual "hippy like" mother in a crowded public house. As soon as I started to tell my mother the cold descended on me. I felt surrounded, however the pub emptied in my mind and only me my wife and mother were in the room. As soon as I stopped it went back to normal. Later in the evening we went back to my mother's for coffee. She started to question again. The room again went cold and an overpowering smell of burning flesh and a horrible presence started. The smell was so overpowering I vomited. My mum could smell it a little but- but my wife felt nothing- although she could see I was affected deeply by it!

Since smelling the burning flesh I have not been able to shake a bad chesty cough. I have only been really scared two times in my life and they both involved this figure- I am sure it appeared to me a couple of times as a child- the other apparitions and "ghosts" do not bother me at all. There is something sinister in this black hated giant shadow that I felt I needed to share.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, thefabulouseggs, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

EveryHour (8 stories) (30 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-03)
Oh my god. I have seen that figure since I was really little. He is exactly like what you described. A huge dark figure with no features except for a top hat. He also appears to be wearing a long trench coat when I see him.
surfpoetess (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-19)
When I was young, my best friend was staying the night at my house. She woke up in the middle of the night and saw a ghost in a fedora hat on looking in my mirror. The spirit turned and looked at her. She laid down again, closed her eyes, and when she looked again, it was gone. A lot of really bad things happened in that house; there was something evil in that house. I think this figure is a demon of some sort.
shadowresearcher (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-20)
I have also seen this 'hatman' many times, my mother also used to see him outside my childhood home, nothing solid, no features, just a siloette of a man in a long coat and a fedora hat.
Inferno (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-02)
The reason you were scared of this figure is because hatman is a demon. So fear will be evoked in you
KiwiSpirit (1 stories) (43 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-14)
If I was in your position I'd either attempt communication with this entity to find out why it follows you, or I would show it hostility and banish it from your presense. The only spirit entitiy I have ever encountered never appeared to me again after I attempted to subdue it physically (seemed like a good idea at the time lol) let us know what happens.

Kiwispirit
thefabulouseggs (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-14)
Thanks for your commnets- The Old Lady and the Shadow in a hat were on different stairs and Different houses-

The man had on what was like a Fedora I suppose but more rounded on top and wide brim...

I had to walk though it my wife was upstairs- that did not scare me as much as it entering our room and physically sitting on the bed- the bed sunk!

My cough has totally cleared thank GOD!
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-13)
I have read many experiences with shadow people wearing hats I will attach a link that was originally added by whitebuffalo that is quite interesting.
I associate the smells you were describing to be rather negative and could possibly be attracted to yourself for some reason. Please keep us updated.

Http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/column.php?id=97317

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
BrandonCR (5 stories) (64 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-12)
Seen a living shadow before, But I didn't see a humanoid shadow, it was the shadow of a large dog, my brother and cousin saw it too, we ran and my brother was badly hurt. Didn't see the shadow for many years until one day I was walking through my friend's courtyard at night, the outside lights cast a shadow from the nearby wall. I saw the Shadow of a dog on top of the shadow of the wall, and when I looked up to the wall, there was no dog to cast the shadow. Shortly after that a friend of mine almost overdosed in the alleyway behind the the house where I saw the dog. The burning flesh smell, it could be a warning, stay away from fire.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-12)
Shadow people.

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_people

You're not the first to have encountered such, but you're by far the bravest. Actually walking through one?

The shadow folks do tend to be harbingers of bad things. The chest cold may have something to do with it.
Nephele (3 stories) (101 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-12)
that makes me wonder if that is the lady on the stairs, if you saw the figure in the same place. If not, then it makes me wonder a lot because they are other stories of DEATH as a shadow with a hat.
But what a scary experience!
I'm so sorry!
D:
Knowing me, I always try to find out who the being is before you do anything, so I don't know exactly how to help you except research everything including where you are. And pray to who you believe in. Jesus is easy to talk to.
Best of luck!
haysw1012 (1 stories) (22 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-12)
what kind of hat was the figure wearing? Was it wearing a fedora?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: