You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: House In Dothan

Real Ghost Stories

House In Dothan

 

I believe in ghosts and I have seen a few and I would like to share what I have seen.

I lived in Dothan Alabama for quite a few years before I finally escaped and moved to Maryland. My wife and I owned our house in Dothan and we loved it but it was I believe haunted. I won't say the exact address but it was on a street called Chadwick Cr. We purchased it around 2004 and lived there for two years. The lady we purchased it from was quite old and her daughter met us at the closing. We all drove over to the house and her mother was there to say goodbye to her neighbors. She was very kind and spoke with me about how she loved the house but could not walk up the stairs anymore and how she was glad that a family would be moving in. We have two boys and so the house was perfect for us. While she was speaking to me she started to mention her deceased husband and how he had died in the house, which is more common than not and did not freak us out really. She said "He was a Fred", by which she meant his name was of course Fred but it was an old southern lady speaking and sometimes they have a different way of saying things.

So we move in and get unpacked and we are really happy, the house originally had a sunroom in the back but they built a garage and connected it to the house. There was also a storage/workshop inside the garage which I liked since I could put all my tools and stuff in there. The family had left several items hanging on the walls and some of them were military in nature so I decided to honor that and leave them up.

Well so here is the freaky part, I was unable to get to sleep one night soon after we moved in and I decided to organize my junk in the storage room. The odd thing was it was super cold in there, anyone who has even passed through Dothan knows how crazy hot it is and it was summer and this night was no exception. Now I was in the storage room like I said and I could look into the house from where I was because the back door was open. The glass from the sun room was tinted which was the room the back door was connected to. So if you have the back door open you can see in but the sun room is blocked by the glass. Ok so I am looking in the direction of the back door and all of the sudden this tall old man walks right past the door and behind the glass that is tinted. My first thought is HOLY CRAP someone is in my house and he is tall and just should not be there.

I grabbed an aluminum softball bat and ran in the house looking for this joker. He was not in the sunroom which was weird. He was nowhere down stairs and the windows and doors were locked and closed and I rushed up stairs to check the kids rooms and nothing! So I go back down stairs and lock the back door and go out the front to look around outside and no one was there. That's when I remembered Fred! I got a little spooked so I went back inside and went to bed. I told my wife the next morning and after she calmed down we both decided it must have been him.

We have since come to the conclusion that he was just giving us a once over and telling us he accepted us because we never saw him again but I never got a bad feeling in that house but you knew something was there. Eventually the storage room stopped being cold and returned to normal, maybe he finished his honey-do list. Anyways we did see and hear a few other things but I don't think it was him. I will have to share that some other time.

Thanks for reading!

Other hauntings by ironhide77

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Alabama

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ironhide77, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

thx11 (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-25)
Let me tell you guys out there that the spirt world of a dual cosmology of ghosts, decased animals and sipirts trandscends all relgious customs, creeds, colour and race and spirtis are souls of deceased figures who do not rest in the world beyound for death MEANS THE end of all conciousness and so no one can and live on to some sort of immortal existence in the life-after or some infinate existence fregradless of the reigious creeed and faith traditions due to popular beliefs nad paranormal fiction films.

Spirits of the deceased do not wake up, rise up and walk or talk after they are gone. They do not make any kind of earthly earthly visitiation unlesss compelled to due to some cosmic disorder in the way beyound. It is for this reason that JC of the bible told the apsolte peter "on this rock shall I build my church and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it "So what are the gates of Hell being referred to? The strongholds of hell and death in the world of the unknown and the unseen of course! And why does the book of revealation writes that He alone knowns the keys of Hell and death? Becasue there is some form of control over what exist between the caspams of this world and the unfathamable next world! So some insights into the spirit world and demonology is necessary and it would be more helpful with some spirits that might speak a foreign langauge due to its past background are these spirtis are very tricky to deal with. So some of you guy out there got to think seriously regrading developing insights into the spirit world.
ruthcyhorseylover (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-20)
That was awkward, I've only had one ghost experience-I refuse to believe it was paranormal (etc...) but it was never like this.
Shadead (91 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-20)
My feeling is that basically as you said Fred was givin' you and your broode the once of to make sure you will care for his home, sometimes this happens basically more elder people tend to do this as they have been there for decades. Best of luck with the house must be nice to have that good spirit there. 😁
ironhide77 (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-19)
agimat_warrior - I believe that to be the case if the family in question has enough faith it will usually work. But if we are being tested in our faith then I also believe that the blessing might not work.

So often we are testing in ways that are strange to us that we do not recognize them as tests but rather abandonment, there in lies the test.

Thanks for the comment
agimat_warrior (4 stories) (18 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-19)
we can avoid those experiences if we only have our newly acquired houses or rented ones blessed or dedicated whichever is applicable to your faith. It have been part of our filipino culture unfortunately not for westerners like you.
ironhide77 (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-16)
snowhite: Thanks for the complement. Maryland is really a great state to live in with a huge amount of haunted activity. Truth be told though my current home is completly ghost free! Sad but true.

Thumpersgirl: Thank for the props! Well transformers were and are very cool, so feel free to get excited, your husbands just sad he can't be as excited as you!

I submitted my next story a few days ago so be on the lookout! I am glad to have so much feedback.
Thumpersgirl (33 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-16)
He's my favorite too! My husband thinks its hilarious how I get so excited over them. And I agree with Aya, I like your writing style too.
snowhite (203 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-14)
Hi, I like your story. I also live in MD. I am thinking about buying a house, but I have to make sure there is nobody died there since I don't like a haunted house Hopefully I will read your new story one day.
ironhide77 (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-14)
Hello and thanks for the responses.

Darkness: Yes I only saw him once but he was in full techno color and did not even look at me.

BrandonCR: It could have been a residual haunting, I only saw him once but he was full bodied man which really made me think "intruder" and not ghost.

Aya-Love-Carrots: Thank you for the complement, I look forward to sharing more stories.

Thumpersgirl: Oh yes I love Transformers, Ironhide was my favorite!

Shads: Thank you very much.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-14)
Would have been quite a creepy experience after hunting round your house only to find nothing. As you said I believe he either left as he was content with you living there or it could have been residual but you only saw the shadow once am I correct,?

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
BrandonCR (5 stories) (64 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-13)
That is a great way of perceiving what you saw, that is a possible. But The other thing that I thought of was a residual haunting, I don't know how long you lived in that house and how often you were in your workshop after hours, but it is possible that Fred wanders the house at night often, stuck in a loop.
Aya-Love-Carrots (150 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-13)
😁 nice story! Thanks for sharing! I think I will read those new coming story that you'll share... Well I read all the new story in here 😆 I like the way of your righting its really understandable... Do take care sir!

-Aya *chasing pavements*
Thumpersgirl (33 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-13)
I like how you honored the family by leaving up the military items. We southerners can be strange lol. Now, since your "name" is Ironhide, does this mean you're a fellow Transformers fan? I hope so, or else I just made myself look really lame lol
shads (1 stories) (20 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-13)
I like this story. I'm new to this sort of thing. More of a skeptic... But some things you just can't explain...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: