You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Hooded Figures

Real Ghost Stories

Hooded Figures

 

When I was about 16 I started getting sleep paralysis. At first it was nothing more than not being able to move upon waking or falling asleep and I only got it once and never got it again until a couple years later.

When I was 18 I got a job decorating cakes at a grocery store, and my schedule was 2PM to 8PM, and so I would go to sleep later at night and sleep throughout the morning which was a different sleeping pattern for me (I read that an abnormal sleeping pattern can cause SP). On top of that I would take my boyfriend to work in the mornings, so that meant I would wake up, take him, then go back to sleep (which is even more abnormal). This is when I really started getting SP often. I would get it 3 or 4 times a week. Some times were more frightening than others, but I remember seeing the same "person". It was a man in a long black robe with a hood, and I couldn't see the face, it was just black.

Once he was standing in front of my bed room door with the door open (which when I finally "woke up" it was closed just like I had it), and another time he was right in my face. Some times he would just yell, not really saying words, just like a loud scream, but he had a deep voice. And then another time which really scared the crap out of me, in that same voice, he yelled "Why are you doing something you can't control?" I was terrified to sleep in the mornings some times, because my boyfriend would be at work and so would my mom, so it was just me and the cats at home. It was daylight, not even dark in my room, and I was terrified to sleep.

Well anyway, my boyfriend (who I had been with before I ever had SP, he was lying next to me the first time I had it) had never had SP. Well, I kept telling him what was happening, and he said he never experienced anything like that before. Well one night he eventually did. He saw another hooded figure, but this time in a red robe and not a black one. He couldn't move and he said the figure was standing over him with a knife, about to stab him. He snapped out of it, but when he told me about it, he said he thought he was about to die.

Now I haven't had SP in a while, I am 21 now and I'd say it stopped at 19 when I got another job (still doing cakes) which requires me to get up early and go to sleep at a decent time. I can't really remember if I'd gotten it since then, it's happened so many times I lost track. But I think it's really weird that we both saw hooded figures like that, and that my boyfriend had never had an experience like that until it started happening to me.

Another weird thing was when I was a kid (maybe 4 or 5) I used to see "monks" (brown robes this time) by my parents bedside at night. Several hooded figures standing at my dad's side, always his side. I never mentioned anything about it until a few years back, and my dad says "I see them all the time, they're harmless". Well he's braver than me, because if I saw that on a regular basis I would probably be too scared to sleep ever, even if they were "harmless".

So what's up with the hooded figures? Has anybody else seen anything like this? What does it mean? I am always scared that it is going to start happening again. I was worried I did something wrong (judging by what that one had said), but I have no idea what.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, KitteeChaos, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

chelsiemayk88 (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
read my story entry, I had 12 hooded beings. I was told they were from the divine light and were higher beings sent to support me in growth and protection.

I let my fear control me and asked them to leave but, I know when I'm ready they will return. I wish I could be like your dad and welcome them but its just so scary!
Copperskull (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-19)
I've experienced sleep paralysis before. It was very surreal and it really seemed like I was looking into a room that wasn't my own. In fact, I recall at one point that it seemed I was looking around from a viewpoint that wasn't from my bed. I remember that I never saw anyone or anything like a figure in the room, though. I actually fixed my sleep schedule and haven't experienced anything like it in a while.
EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-20)
ahahahahaha xD Desire touch that was so funny, spitting on evil choker lady.*sigh* nice story you should publish that as a story I love it you can call it spitting on evil choker lady that probly looks like she came from the movie grudge, Katherine
Desire_touch (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-20)
I use to have a lot of experiences like that every night before I go to sleep too... But not with red or black hooded spirits instead a long black hair lady with long white dress.

She would come every night pressing my chest so hard that I couldn't breath until I was angry and told them to *uck off (in SP) ... But they wouldn't so I told my mom about it two days later and she advice me to spit at them. So that night I had my little brother slept next to me and I was prepared. Suddenly my body was cold and then my body slowly was getting numb and parlyized, but I kept my eyes open holding my spit getting ready. And then I saw her putting her hands on my brother arms and she wrapped his arms around my neck hard trying to choke me so I didn't give a *uck and spit at her... Then everything stopped and I could breath again...

She came back a few times getting me paralyized and everything but I just kept on spiting at her... And it just stopped happening...
HardToScare432 (1 stories) (72 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-19)
A lot of people on here, have said they seen a figure like that. To me it seems like it looks like the Grim Reaper. Whatever it is, I'd be freaked if it happened to me.
biblefreeme (2 stories) (137 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-19)
scientists think that night terror such as these that you have experienced are caused by the brain if that's the case then maybe yours took the form of hooded figures because it used your fathers experience as a template to form your halucination I personaly don't hold with this theory I have had them to mine took other forms usualy people close to me I think its somthing else we don't understand yet something less physical
EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-18)
Hey now I understand why you call yourself kitteechaos 😆 Thats not really good that your cats flake out (like me) when they see them. Who knows the shadow people could be doing stuff on purpose to scare them. Who knows... All I can say is 1You have yin yang cats! 2As long as they don't bother you too much I don't see a problem with them and 3take care of yourself and if they push you too much tell them to get the **** out of my house! I wish you luck, Katherine ❤ ❤
KitteeChaos (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-18)
Thanks for all the comments everyone! Well, I thought maybe I was just dreaming and that's what I want to think, of course I don't want to believe I am really seeing these things but who knows.

When I saw the monks as a child I was wide awake, like I said I never had SP until I was much older so I know I wasn't dreaming. When I saw them I actually lived in Pennsylvania, when my mom and dad were still together. Me and mom moved to Texas when I was 7 and my dad lives in Ohio now. I don't know if he still sees them today but I don't think he only ever saw them at the place we used to live. We lived in a townhouse then, I can't remember very well if there was a church nearby and I don't know if there ever was a church in that spot. But it almost seems as if they are following him. When I told him that I used to see him quite a few years later (he didn't live in the townhouse anymore) he said "I see them all the time" so I'm guessing he saw them no matter where he lived, which is sort of creepy. The weird thing is, when I was a kid and saw these things I wasn't really scared. I just kind of lay there and looked at them, but I don't remember being afraid.

[at] EmeraldAngel: It's funny you mention the cats freaking out, because they have. I have a white cat and a black cat. Well one day a week or so ago, I was in my room (I live in a whole other place from when I had SP all the time btw) and I saw my white cat. Well I like to pick her up, hold her like a baby and kiss her (yes I'm a cat kisser lol) and she doesn't care, she just let's me hold her and doesn't sguiggle when I hold her so I figure she doesn't mind. Well this one day when I picked her up, she was completely calm like always, and then I turned to face my bed and out of nowhere, she flips out, she scratched to crap out of me and ran under the bed. She didn't scratch me on purpose, she is declawed in the front and she got me with her back claws when she was trying to get away. She had never done that before and it was like something scared her. And there was no reason, it was completely quiet, like there weren't any loud noises that could have scared her or anything, it was weird and it creeped me out. And then there's my black cat, they are sort of opposite because she doesn't like to held (so I don't do it) and she hardly ever meows, while the white cat meows more than any cat I've ever seen. So one night I could hear my black cat meowing like CRAZY you know it was just like "MEOWMEOWMEOWMEOWMEOWMEOWMEOW" just over and over again. It wouldn't have been weird if it was the white one since she meows all the time but not the black one. My boyfriend thought someone was trying to break in but she was upstairs meowing at something in the hallway. I told my boss at work about it and she said well maybe she saw a bug, but eh she doesn't do that when she sees a bug, she just sits there, looks at it and chases it. It was just unusual for her. Another day I saw her flipping out upstairs over nothing, her back was arched and her ears were back and her eyes were wide and she was jumping around at the top of the stairs. These cats man I'll tell you they make me scared to go up there sometimes lol. I don't like that stuff freaks them out and I can't even see it, it's like should I be scared too?

And then for anyone who asked if I might know why the hooded figure asked me why I was doing something I couldn't control, I have no idea why. My job wasn't demanding at all, at the time I worked at a grocery store that was over priced so there weren't many customers, so for the most part it was pretty laid back. I work at Sam's Club now and it's waaaay more stressful than my old job. In fact my whole life is more stressful now than it was. Back then I only worked part time, didn't have to pay much for rent and bills because me and my boyfriend shared a place with my mom, and life was easy. Now I work full time, have to pay a buttload it seems for rent and bills, my mom moved back to PA, and now I'm pregnant so I feel nauseous and lazy all the time (though I do want to be pregnant!), so yeah. If anything I'd feel more like I have no control at this point than back then. We manage but it is definitely more stressful, and I don't even see the hooded guy that yelled at me anymore. So now looking back I still can't figure out what that meant. I wasn't doing anything that I couldn't control, not that I know of.

Well anywho, I appreciate everyones comments. I could keep going but I think I went on long enough, lol
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-17)
I think the hooded figures mean something that's going to happen sometime, maybe.
Not to scare you or anything but maybe the red hooded guy may mean death, and the other might have meant depression or being trapped, I'm not so sure so don't really count on me.

BUt the monks I think is easy enough, cause if your dad saw them too, then it's what your house is most likely on. It could be on a old church or something, that had fallen down and someone build your house on top of it.
But then again I could be toally wrong! 😊
GIRLIE ❤
jessicasghost (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-17)
hi KitteeChaos, you know how you said something about monks around your dads side of the bed? Well my mum has had a simmilar happining. If you would like to hear about it please inform me at whatthe987 [at] live.com thank you. Ps. I'm sorry but I have got nothing to say about the rest except when the ghost said why are you doing something you can not handell were you trying to find out something about them or anything?
Aya-Love-Carrots (150 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-17)
Ive been thinking about what badjuujuu had said... 😐 I wonder if they are just symbol? Maybe they mean something or they are something? Can't they be Reapers or Guardian? Arrghh... I think I'm going to research on this one, its really interesting... Hey about what s/he shout, I think its about your job, it doesn't want you over working your body...

-Aya Winchester
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-17)
Hello, I have Same Problem too when I was 18 Not the screaming and such it just hooded figure stand by the window near my bed like watch me that I am try to sleep...
DRDd (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-16)
I've seen similar hooded figures. Way more than I would have liked to. There's been two main ways ever since I've moved to this area. Both are the same height and they're always in either a hoodie and baggy pants or a robe.
Rhys (15 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-16)
if you ever see them again then ask them what they mean. If they can talk with a question then the should answer one... The one in black asked "Why are you doing something you can't control?" do you have any idea what s/he means? By the way when most people start to go to sleep a chemical in your brain stops you from moving if am right...i'll try and find it and I'll post it 😁
MyChaoticPeace (1 stories) (108 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-16)
Have you ever experienced this without the SP? My sister used to have 'Night Terrors' when she was younger. Very vivid and terrifying dreams. Could it possibly be something like that? Of course that wouldn't explain how your boyfriend had a similar dream.

He had never experienced anything like that before but then had SP and witnessed the figure in the hood while slightly awake slightly asleep?

I wonder if it's possible that while starting to wake up and going through SP you entered into an 'Alpha state of mind' and find yourself more sensitive to such things. If others have seen something similar it's sort of a validation there.

Your boyfriend may have done the same thing, perhaps the energy of the beings around helped to induce that state to communicate.

Perhaps the question, "Why are you doing something you can't control?" references this if it was by mistake that you came to be in it? You're possibly doing something you normally can't?
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-16)
Do you live near an old mission or old Catholic church? My dad told me that when he was a kid and lived down the street from an old mission he would see the ghosts of monks and Native Americans in his house and backyard from time to time.
yOsh19 (10 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-16)
...i never had SP since so I don't have any opinions for it 😁 hooded figures sounds creepy add to that, you saw black while your boyfriend saw red hooded figures... What could that mean?hmm...anyway,thanks for sharing your story 😊
EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-15)
Hey I live in Texas too! 😁 😁 I wouldn't be worried too much about them coming back. I think your experiencing Shadow people. They're everywhere so don't be too suprised if you see shadows walking around. I see them when I'm alone but they don't hurt me. That thing that your boyfriend saw wasn't really good thou. Color means things except sometimes with black spirits they aren't always bad despite the color. Pray that they go away if you see them again. They aren't welcome and can be pests and even threats. Do your cats get freak out sometimes? Or chase anything cause that could be one of those shadows. Good luck,Katherine
Nephele (3 stories) (101 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-15)
when you mention sleep paralysis it makes me think that maybe when were sleeping and we have the chemical in our brain that stops us from moving we're also slightly still in the 'sleep state' meaning we could still dream and I was thinking you were seeing things from a chemical that makes us dream.

But then you said that your boyfriend and dad see them... That I don't understand but is interesting
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-15)
OK, you are probably going to get a lot of varied opinions on sleep paralysis here. Some boring like mine, others a bit more fantastic.
In SP, we are still in a dream state. Dreams are highly symbolic. Dreams are your subconscious mind trying to get a message to your conscious mind. The thing is that the subconscious comprehends and communicates through symbols, whereas the conscious mind does not, and can have a heck of a time unravelling those symbols into "conscious" logic. Hooded figures, to me at least, symbolize the unknown and mysterious. Who isn't afraid of what they don't know? The figure yelling "Why are you doing something you can't control?" says to me that at that point in your life you felt overwhelmed and powerless, that you felt stuck in a situation you couldn't quite figure out how to take charge of. Maybe a work or school situation, maybe a family issue. Just my impression.
Alot of people have experienced sleep paralysis, so your boyfriend having it isn't all that shocking. Neither is his seeing a hooded figure either. Hooded figures are a pretty common trait of SP, as are a few other things which all seem to get labeled as demonic when it's really just the subconscious at work. His figure being red whereas your's was black again goes back to symbology. Colors have meaning. And as any symbol, there are universal meanings to color, yet each individual will have their own interpretation of the meaning behind it.
The monks you and your father saw as a child, I would lean toward a residual haunting being the cause of that. The only connection I could see between the hooded monks you saw as a child, and the hooded figures of your SP would be that the monks spooked you as a child, and your subconscious latched onto a particularly handy hooded figure image for you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: