You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Riley's Friend

Real Ghost Stories

Riley's Friend

 

This started in spring of '07. At this time, our only dog was Riley, a spaz-tastic black Lab. We would hear him out on the back porch running and romping, and would comment to each other that it sounded like he was playing with someone. We would even go check to see if something had gotten in the fence with him, like maybe a cat. He always was alone, but seemed to be chasing and wrestling someone, with that big happy dog grin on his face. After awhile, it simply became part of the routine.

One morning, my husband, Brad, had left for work, and was supposed to be out of town a few days. That night, I went outside to check on Riley, make sure he had plenty of food and water. While I was petting the dog, I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. I looked up, and standing by the gate was a tall man in what looked like a robe. He had a hood or hat over his face, and was sort of glowing softly with a blue-white light. Riley looked at this man, and wagged his tail happily. I stared between the man and Riley, who seemed to recognize this man, and then I freaked out and ran inside. I'm rather embarrassed about that reaction now.

Brad came home unexpectedly the next morning and I told him about the man from the night before. He didn't seem as surprised as I thought he should, he just said, "Well, I guess now we know who Riley plays with all night."

Riley continued to act like he had company outside. Sometimes we would feel cold spots on the porch, and just generally feel like someone was there. The presence wasn't at all frightening, and if the doggie beast liked the visitor, we liked him too. Riley is a pretty decent judge of character.

About a year later, we got another dog to keep Riley company. After that, we didn't notice cold spots on the porch or feel like there was someone else there as often. I think perhaps the spirit felt that he didn't have to "look after" Riley as much now that he had a full-time canine companion to play with.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BadJuuJuu, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-12)
BadJuuJuu - I'm glad you're back. Your input and advice have really been missed. There have been many stories on here that I've read while you were gone and thought, "I wish BJJ was here. She'd know what to say to this one." But you're here now and that's what matters. 😊
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+3
12 years ago (2012-07-12)
Hi all. Just noticed these comments. I guess I'm back, good to see everyone again.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-06)
oh wow! Was going through some of the old stuff we got carried away with last night and thought about badjuujuu myself, wondered if she was hanging around but staying quiet.
And then tonight checking trough the comments these are here! Way too spooky😲
Come back bjj we miss you sweetie ❤
Carl
hippiechick83 (5 stories) (112 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-06)
BJJ: I miss you too ❤ 😊...juss sayen. That is all. Pure and simple. YOU ARE MISSED!
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-06)
I saw the comments and felt like saying count me in too. I miss me some BadJuuJuu!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-06)
Crazy ain't it girls?...I was thinking about shooting her an e-mail last night...Didn't, but the thought was there LOL 😆 😆 ❤
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-01-06)
Oh wow Miracles that is something. I was just thinking about her this morning wondering how she is doing. Then I come here and see your comment right at the top of the list. Maybe it means she is thinking about us too. We miss you BJJ ❤
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
12 years ago (2012-01-06)
BadJuuJuu - if you're still reading these, I just wanted to let you know you're missed.
luckyrain (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-19)
i like this... "and was sort of glowing softly with a blue-white light." ❤ ❤ its his color 😊
nickj916 (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-16)
This was a great story, I bet his friend is still there, or if not, I think Riley helped him cross over, and kept him company. Well, now you know who his Guardian Angel is now 😊 ❤ ❤
EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-23)
AWESOME EXPERIENCE! Good writing skills and I woulda have spazzed out too. I think blue is a good color the meaning is calmness and that's good it was white too. It was keeping Riley from being lonely that's so cool. I want a friendly ghost. *instead have the spirit of a young boy who I call Johnny who taps on my shoulder and who I feel near my feet while lying down on grandma's couch and who roam the hallway and touch my hand*probly likes me or thinks of me as a big sister. Other ghost stayed home now another one makes itself known just perfect.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-22)
Great story BJJ! 😊 Riley sounds like a big loveable Lab. ❤ Just by going on your description of the spirit, I would have freaked out too. I guess what they say is true. You can't judge a book by it's cover. LOL! My mother's friend lives in house in New Jersey which is full of spirits. She has a couple of animals herself and sometimes she says one of her dogs sits in the living room facing the couch wagging his tail, and moving his head like if someone is petting him. 😲
MyChaoticPeace (1 stories) (108 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-22)
I think I came sum this one up pretty easily... In a word - Awesome 😉
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-07-22)
Firstly, I LOVE this story. Secondly, it re-establishes my belief that animals and humans are not that different in terms of spiritual awareness and communication. I really think that although animals may not understand our verbal languages, we may be able to communicate with them logically in the afterlife. This kind of thing further enforces my belief in reincarnation. 😊 Thank you for sharing this!
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-22)
Hey, BJJ.

Great account. I had a very similar experience which was part of my first paranormal experience ever. Read "Why me, Why now", if you are interested. The dog in the story was coincidentally, half-black lab, as well.

Take care,
Lou
Lisa66 (1 stories) (54 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-22)
I LOOOOVVVEEEE this story! Thanks for sharing such a nice one. 😊
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-22)
Granny- usually, both dogs are together. Occasionaly, Riley will be outside without Ichigo, but even then Riley has adopted a few cats lol. There is usually a cat or three hanging around the back porch, so he doesn't get much chance to be lonely. Even so, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the robed man again.
Dan, I have no idea who he was. I thought he was a Confederate soldier that my hubby has spotted a few times, but the description of the soldier and the robed man are too far off after I thought about it some more.
Aussie, so true about the animals reactions to the paranormal. One of my ferrets in particular is a very sensitive little guy. It's easy to know when something is around by watching him.
Aya, maybe robes are the current fashion in the Otherworld? It does seem like a lot of robed figures are being reported.
Thanks for reading yall, I'm glad you enjoyed Riley's story 😁.
Aya-Love-Carrots (150 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-22)
NiceButtercup! 😊 I agree with bubbles (zzsgranny) that riley's friend isn't far off... 😐 I wonder what's up with those rode dude, there so many story about them lately...

-AYA x YOITE
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-22)
BadJuuJuu...Good story, I understand your reaction to freak out... And I have had my own regrets for reacting the same... Considering Riley was not frighten by this visitor, probably vindicates he nature was a friendly one... They say that animals function with a sub conscious state of mind... Which is what I believe spiritually is required to connect on a spiritual level... What separates us humans from connecting as easy as our animal friends is our conscious state of mind... Which probably also explains why children can connect easier then we adults... Up to the point of prolific consciousness...

Refreshing story cheers mate Daz 😁
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-22)
Hahaha great story BadJuuJuu at least he was always entertained that's awesome. Do you know anything else about the man that you had seen?

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-07-21)
BadJuuJuu: WOW, that's so cool!...But I bet his friend isn't far off... Do you let Riley out by himself at all?...It would be fun to test it, HUH? 😆...

Good story, always love the happy ones! ❤ ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: