You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Ghost In Our New House

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost In Our New House

 

My family moved into a house 11 months ago that had just finished being built so we are the first people to live here. My Mom had the house built on a dirt road that has an old grave yard on it. I was a bit apprehensive about that, but I didn't mind it because I was excited about moving into a new house.

The first few nights I kept getting woken up by what I thought were footsteps outside my door. However, nothing was ever there when I checked. I wrote it off as sounds a new house would make. Well, as weeks went by, the sounds became more frequent, but this time they were accompanied with doors shutting and lights flicking off.

One night, my sister and I both couldn't sleep and she went into my room. Around 3 AM, we both heard the sound of footsteps walking to the doorway. I thought it was the dog, however as it came closer it seemed too loud and heavy to be the dog. My sister asked me if I thought it sounded like footsteps too. Right after she said that, there was a loud banging on the door and then the doorknob was twisted erratically a few times, but we had locked it so it stopped and was quiet after that. We both got up to check if it was Mom, but she was asleep in her bed and it couldn't be my Dad since he is paralyzed and nobody else was in the house since we had alarms installed and the doors were all locked when we checked.

Since then, we continue to hear footsteps and doors shutting, the fan in my room now turns off by itself, and there is a general feeling of being watched. My Mom believes she has seen a man in the hallway and sometimes I see things passing by in the corner of my eye and hear a man's whispering at night.

We aren't scared and uncomfortable here because whoever it is hasn't tried to harm us or anything like that, but I'd like to see what others may think.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Alabama

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Denice68, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

josephgogi (2 stories) (34 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-05)
Sounds very similar to some experiences we had when we moved in to our new house, except for the doornob rattling. If you get a chance read both stories I submitted under "Lillie" and "The Voice From Upstairs".
spookysearch (15 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-28)
Denice68,

That's a very interesting story. This may sound like a request out of left field, but would you be interested in sharing your story on a TV show? We do paranormal investigations, and this is right up our alley. Please drop me a line at spookysearch [at] gmail.com. Look forward to hearing from you!
Denice68 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-10)
Shadead, I doubt we will get it blessed. I think the only way we will do it is if it gets violent, but so far it hasn't. The only things that have kind of scared me was the beating on the door that night and the doorbell ringing which I mentioned in the comments.
Shadead (91 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-10)
Again Curiosity can't kill the dead, As its a turn of the century they could want to know what's new in the world,
Id be interested to find out more and see if it dies down but I mean blessing the house will get rid of the spirits but in my eyes kind of unfair if they were there first.

Anyhow best of luck and keep us posted on what's happening.

~Shadead.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-08-10)
Denice: It's absurd how disresepctful some people can be...Sad,huh?...That may be one of the reasons the spirits are restless...Well, since the family's taking good of it, maybe things will settle down on their own soon...But, you may just have visitors occasionally, specially if they like your family! 😆 ❤
Denice68 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-09)
Well, the neighbors keeps it clean and the grass cut. Noone is allowed to go in there anymore since a bunch of kids started riding down the dirt road tossing their trash in the graveyard so I haven't been in there for a very long time, even before the house was built, but it does look well taken care of from the outside.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-08-09)
Denice: Does the cemetery look like it has been tended at all?...If not, maybe you could try to do some beautifying yourself, it may help to settle things down a bit...
Denice68 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-07)
zsgranny, It is a very old family graveyard. Some of the headstones are from the early 1900s and it's a rather small graveyard. I don't think anybody has been buried there in the last 25-30 years.
Denice68 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-07)
The graveyard itself is very old and our neighbors actually own it since it is their family buried there. It is located basically in their backyard, although our house is closer to it. My Mom is thinking about getting the house blessed since it has begun to get aggravating. The doorbell rung late one night two weeks ago and we thought somebody was there but as we checked it out, no one was there and it rung a 2nd time as we were going back to bed. The tv has even began starting turning off by itself. I do think what BadJuuJuu said is probally true, that it is checking out its new neigbors.
Sar-osity (3 stories) (20 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-28)
[I haven't read the other comments so sorry if I repeted anything anyone else said.]I would say it is probably just someone checking out the place, maybe they aren't used to other people around their cemetary. I think it's nothing to worry about since it hasn't tried to hurt you, but that doesn't me they won't in the future, so be careful. You could get it blessed, or telling it to go away might work, if you don't want it there. It will probably calm down after a while, if the cemetary is really old, maybe you have something that they've never seen before? Maybe they're curious to know what it is. Have you tried to talk to them?

-Sar-osity. ❤
sunkist1220 (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-27)
Wow, sounds like there is never a dull moment around your house! 😊 But yes, I agree with the others, a blessing could be in order, or if you don't mind the visitors and they are not harming you, then I'm sure the activity will slow down in time.

Jen ❤
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-07-27)
Denice: I agree with BadJuuJuu, they're just checking you out... You may have some technologically advanced items in your home that they're interested in... How old is the cemetery?...Have you ventured a walk through it to see if you can read any of the headstones?...Is it a large or small one?...I ask because it could be a family cemetery... If a lot or most of the last names are the same, then you can be sure that you're not the first to inhabit that particular land... Their houses may have been demolished, or burned...

Interesting account! 😊
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-27)
Hm, how to put my thoughts into words properly? I think that the residents of the area are checking out their new neighbors- your family. Whoever is now investigting your home was in that area for quite awhile before your house was built. They are now scoping things out, and adjusting to your arrival. Most likely the activity will slow down in time, once they have gotten used to you. As Pendragon says, a blessing can't hurt if you feel it's necessary.
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-27)
If it's a new house, you could get it blessed. The close proximity to the graveyard could have stirred up something, and that could be what's causing the ghostly activity. But that's just my opinion. If you don't feel threatened, you'll probably be fine. Just get the house, and yourselve blessed, or get a smudging ceremony done. I've heard those help loads, as well.

Penny ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: