You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Shadows, Footsteps And Paralysis

Real Ghost Stories

Shadows, Footsteps And Paralysis

 

I have had many sleep paralysis experiences before, but last night was the most terrifying. I reside in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I am recently 23 years old and I have recently moved in with my girlfriend. The apartment we are moving into is being renovated, so we are temporarily bunked in a furnished suite.

Many of my paralysis experiences have been typical in the fashion that I wake up feel a presence and the pressure on my chest but I have never seen anything until now. I don't sleep much and I have a day job and I work a second job a couple nights a week (at a bar so it's until 3am) I get home at 4am and wake up at 6am for my day job. So the scientific theory that is due to sleep deprivation seems plausible to my experiences.

In the apartment, we are the top floor of three level building. We hear distinct foot steps up above on the roof all the time, we were having dinner and we both heard them. My girlfriend mentioned how its weird we can hear foot steps on the roof all the time, she half joked about it being ghosts and we discussed maybe the acoustics of the building somehow echo foot steps up above.

We both have a level of paranormal belief. I am greatly interested in it, but I like to keep my distance to research and reading stories. I do not believe in dabbling and messing around with the paranormal. There are many mysteries and we do not know truly about spirits and ghostly phenomenon. I have left parties and gatherings when Oujia boards are busted out (not before sharing what I know about them, and the best way to use them, and the big no no's).

A short Ouija tidbit story, when I was about 8 I was playing with a friend of mine and his older brother and friends were messing around with something and we were curious as to what it was so we went over to see. They had an Ouija board out; they were not really playing it more just messing around with it. One of the guys took a lighter and burned the eye on top of the board (the board had half a face on top of it with no mouth always curious to what it was for) before our eyes, this eye blinked! And the burn was gone. We were freaked out. They busted up the board and tossed it in a sewer (not sure if this was too dangerous given they never opened the board)

Anyways on to my main story.

My girlfriend went to bed around 10; I was not tired so I watched TV (Smallville and House MD DVD's) just after one I packed it in. I was dreaming about there being a storm outside, and in my dream I was turning on a radio and laying in bed listening to the storm pass, then the power went out and I was trying to get the radio to work. I woke up shortly after and to my horror a shadow person was looming above me. It was humanoid shaped and fluttering and seemed to kind of sparkle, the usual feeling of fear and adrenaline washed over me. I then remembered reading closing your eyes and thinking positive thoughts is a good way to deal with the situation.

I closed my eyes and thought of a beach, I opened my eyes and the figure was still looming on top of me, I closed my eyes again and pictured scoring a goal in hockey and then the feeling lifted, and my arm shot up as to push it away. It took me a few minutes to get my bearings I then flipped on a lamp, my girlfriend woke up and asked me if everything was okay, I explained what happened and she comforted me for about 10 minutes got me some water and dabbed my back with a cold cloth to calm me. I looked at the clock and it was 3:15am...I remember reading 3am is a popular time for things like this to occur.

Needless to say I can't wait to get to the renovated apartment, I hope this is the one and only time this occurs. There has been some negative energy floating inside me lately. My girlfriend and I have had a little friction, this is the first time we have lived with a loved one (we work it out though!) Could have made me vulnerable to this attack.

Hope you enjoyed my story feel free to comment!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SeventySeven, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

SeventySeven (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-29)
[at] Nephele-My dreams usually are a collection of daily events and thoughts stored in my sub conscience. There was a storm that night and I was laying in bed adjusting the ipod speaker system I have that day. When the power went in the dream "the nightmare feeling" started to develop but I was awaken before it got to far.
Nephele (3 stories) (101 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-29)
Interesting, I'll keep in mind that thinking of good things will help.
Why would you have such a dream like that?
It wasn't a nightmare was it?
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-29)
SeventySeven - Well, it's good that you are no longer feeling the sleep paralysis. That's always a good thing. As for the shadow, does it seem malicious or curious? Can you tell? Any other creepy goings-on? This shadow may not be the same entity that was pinning you down; this could be a different lost soul who needs help. Please avoid the Ouija Boards, unless you know what precautions to take before using one. (To many stories of Ouija Boards gone ary because of people not protecting themselves... Oi...)

And yes, hockey is a fantastic sport. I've only ever played floor hockey, or passed around a puck on the ice with my dad, but I've watched hockey for as long as I can remember, and I've been to more hockey games than I can count. 😁

Very good to hear that there is no more sleep paralysis though.

Penny ❤
SeventySeven (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-29)
[at] Penny- I have seen a shadow dart from the bedroom across my line of vision since. No sleep paralysis since though.

[at] Infinity- Given the level of fear and dread I was overcome with, it being positive energy never really occured to me.

[at] Hockey- Most of us Canadians love it, for me especially, it has always helped me through everything.
Infinity (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-29)
Great story and thank you for sharing, made good reading! One thing occurs to me though and that's why you think this was a negative energy? We all have spirit guides and guardian angels around us all the time, I suspect this could have been a guardian angel protecting you. If there are negative energies where you are currently living, your guides and angels will move close to protect you and I suspect that's what the sparkly shadow was and definitely nothing to fear and actually, quite an honour to have seen it 😉
GhostBeliver1234 (29 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-28)
Yea I agree how hockey helped him. I usually think about something else like I don't know... Ponies?! 0.o xD lol no seriously joke... This really shows how much sport means to those who live in Canada (not that I live there but I know it)

Mirela ❤
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-28)
I love how hockey seemed to help you. Goes to show you how much that one sport means to so many of us that live here in Canada, huh? (I live down in Calgary, myself, on the outskirts)

I'm sorry I lack advise, but I do have a question - have you seen a shadow figure since? Have youhad the sleep paralysis since?

Penny ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: