You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Phone Call From Beyond

Real Ghost Stories

The Phone Call From Beyond

 

This story takes place in April 2003, when I was only 12 years old. I was in grade 7, just getting used to city transit an hour to and from school, a cell phone (albeit one that only got 5$ a month on it to call home if I was going to be late for whatever reason), and 'real' homework (quotation marks, because I have done two years of college now, and THAT is true homework, my friends).

Let me start by saying that my grandma Doris and I were very close; my sister and I were her favorite grandchildren. We were spoiled rotten, and my mom hated it, but my grandmother didn't care.

In April, my grandmother, my mom's mom, passed away due to her third heart attack. I was at school. She had, unfortunately, been babysitting my young cousin at the time, and she just suddenly fell over, and would not get up. No one knew she was dead until my aunt called to check up on my cousin, and he told her, "Grandma fell asleep on the floor and won't get up." My aunt, knowing what happened, immediately called 911, then my mom. My mom had my stepmom pick me up from the bus stop when I finished school, and I didn't know why.

Around dinner time, my mom came to get me at my dad's house, and told my sister and me that our grandma had passed away.

The medical examiner told us that she had died the instant it struck, giving no warning, no signs. She had been dead before she hit the ground. We were, of course, all expecting that a heart attack would have been the way she'd pass on, but we didn't think it would be so soon, especially since her doctors, not two weeks before, had said that she was doing fantastic. Goes to show you that a heart attack can happen at any time.

Dividing up the things in my grandma's will among all of us (my aunt, my uncle, my mom, and me, as I was included in the will - I got my grandma's opal ring, and a few other pieces of jewelry of hers that I had loved so very much), as well as the things not included, was a somber and heartbreaking task. I had gone to the back of my grandma's trailer (she lived in a trailer park), to her bedroom, to locate the ring that was now mine.

I found it, turned around, and saw my grandpa by the closet, a few feet from me. He died a few years before my grandmother. I stood there, open mouthed, and he disappeared, just as my mom came into the room, looking for me. I did not tell my mom about my grandpa.

Fast-forward a week, to after we had gone through the will and estate. My mom was making my sister and me dinner. We were all quiet, and all obviously sad. I was sitting at the kitchen table, doing homework, my back to my mom. Out of no where, the phone rang, and my mom and I just looked at each other. We were not expecting phone calls. Everyone had called with condolences the first couple days after my grandma had passed.

I got up to answer the ringing phone, and looked at the Caller ID. It was one of those old ones, one of the earlier ones made, with the separate squares for each number. They were all colored black, and the ID for the name was just "1". I handed my mom the phone, and she answered it, and all there was... Was nothing. Not a sound after my mom said, "Hello?" All of a sudden, the phone fizzled out, and abruptly died, leaving us needing a new phone for our house. The kicker? My grandma, who had just passed, had given us the phone. It was only two years old or so.

My mom stared blankly at the phone in her hand, then looked at me and smiled. "Well, I think that was your grandma, calling to say she made it to Heaven." We still have this phone in a box somewhere, and it still refuses to work, as if the internal workings melted - but they didn't. We've taken the phone apart, and by logical reasoning, it SHOULD still work. I think my grandma was trying to put forth so much energy into saying something to my mom, through our phone, that she ended up accidentally destroying it instead.

For about the next couple weeks, we would see our two cats staring off into space, chatting at the air... Typical cat-sees-ghost behavior. We thought they were just talking to my grandmother. They never seemed scared, just chatty. They would bat at the walls when there was nothing there, no lights, no bugs, like they were playing with an invisible one of those feather batons you can buy.

My mom, to this very day, swears that my grandma called us to say hello, with a phone call from beyond the grave.

Other hauntings by Pendragon

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Pendragon, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-16)
Shadow_Witch - Thanks! I like them too. They make me feel warm and fuzzy, and make me remember my own experiances. I miss my grandma dearly, and wish she'd call again. Needless to say, I would be terrified and excited all at once!

Penny ❤
shadow_witch (65 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-15)
Lovely story Penny!

I've always enjoyed the "phone calls from beyond" stories, and I think it's just so cool how the deceased can use modern technology as a portal through which to communicate with us.

(Good thing we don't get billed for those types of calls though, as the long distance charges would be OUT OF THIS WORLD!) 😉
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-13)
Brandon - Thank you, and you're right; I will always miss her. I also knew about the phones and ghosts. I FORGOT to mention, that when we got a new phone the next day, and plugged it into the same jack, the new phone worked just fine. So it wasn't that either.

I didn't know that! Well, I kind of did - my dad's side is quite fevrently against tattoos. Mostly for the fact that "if god wanted art on our bodies, he would put it there himself!" I think it was neat that you were a tattoo artist! Too bad you couldn't make it, though. That would have been neat.

I had finished my mourning when I got the tattoo; it's more a memory now. 😉 It was almost 8 years in the making! Haha. And thank you for your compliments!

Penny ❤
BrandonCR (5 stories) (64 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-11)
First off, I am sorry for your loss, I know it happened some time ago, but I also know that you will never stop missing her. I fully believe that your grandmother was trying to contact you, as for the phone not working anymore, this is very common in hauntings, at least as far as I have discovered. Phones stop working for no rhyme or reason when ghosts are concerned.
This may be a bit off subject but I love when people get tattoos to commemorate their loved ones. You may or may not find this interesting, I was an apprentice tattoo artrist for a few months, but I just couldn't make the transition from paper to skin... Oh well, anyways extremely religious people love to harp on tattoos, and especially tattoo artists. They would have you think that you are not supposed to get tattoos at all, so I did some research and found that the only time that you are not supposed to get tattoos is in mourning someones death, which I find Ironic because many devout christians will make an acception for tattoos by getting a tattoo for their dead loved ones. I don't believe in that stuff, I just thought it interesting.
Anyway, Great story, look forward to reading more.
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-11)
Bryar - I'm willing to draw tattoos for people as well; I did a little bandaid for my mom after she broke her back, and I've done one for my aunt as well. I love drawing, and I have no issues with it. I'm getting around, slowly, to getting newer pictures online, but I haven't been updating any art sites for two years. I have lots to upload. 😭

As for the Tarot deck, yeah, I figured I needed an art project - I have my first card mostly done, I just need to colour it. It is Hestia, and I'm using her for the Empress, I think. I'm writing my own definitions, because I don't like lots of them, and how they're mostly Roman/Catholic. *coughs* That, and poor Hestia always gets overlooked. She's one of my favourites.

Thanks for your thoughts, too, on Dimitri and Riku. I know I am lucky to have them, and I am thankful that I have them. I probably would not be here today if I did not have them. Such is life though, I guess! Guardians never go far - Riku disappeared on me for about a year before the car accident, and that was the first day that he was back. Lucky me! I don't think Eric went very far, and that he will eventually be needed again.

Penny ❤
Bryar (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-11)
That's a really nice tribute to your Grandma. That is made even more special by the fact that you designed that tattoo. Wish I were artistic at all! Well, I am in a writing sense, but not in an actual drawing/painting way. Congrats to you! I also like the idea of your Greek Tarot deck. I do tarot readings and have been using the same deck for 19 years now. I feel that this deck responds to me well, but I like the artwork of more obscure decks better than my standard issue Rider/Waite deck.

I was reading your other story too, where you describe your guardians Riku and Dimitri. Very interesting, (and lucky) that you have them around and communicate with them! I feel that I have someone around me too. Ever since I was young, it has felt as if there were someone who was watching over me, so much so that I used to talk to him and gave him a name, Eric. I haven't "heard" from Eric in a long time, but I always like to think that he is close by, no matter what. I know that there were times that Eric did help me, but that would be too long to explain the situation here. Perhaps I will have some time to tell that story on here soon.

Take care!

~Bryar ❤
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-09)
Lol, I know exactly how you feel. I want my stupid loan paid off so that I can start saving up for a condo or apartment. I need out of my parents houses ASAP, but I can't while I have my loan. **The loan is from two years of college**

Chin up, it'll go by faster than you think!
Penny ❤
EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-09)
Penny, no need for saying sorry, I've dealt with them for twelve years haha I just gotta wait six more and I'll be on my own yeaa!
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-09)
Emerald - I'm sorry that your family sucks so much... I would hate to be in your position; My family is very similar, though, and it drives me bonkers. I lack the funds to move out, so I have to suck it up and cope. Blah.

Bryar - I'm glad that it seemed like the right thing to do, and I'm glad that your grandfather seems to have liked it. Kinda funny how he may have been trying to blow out the candle, too. My experiences of talking to my grandma have become non-existant since I got a tattoo in memory of her at the beginning of July. Maybe she's off bugging other relatives for tribute instead. I've also felt this odd sense of peace since I got the tattoo done, and I can't help but feel like she is happy with it, and it burns/tingles slightly when I talk about her, which is kind of funny. **I drew it and designed it myself, only having to go to the tattoo artist to get it done.

I'm glad things worked out.
Penny ❤
Bryar (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-09)
Thanks Penny for the advice. I did do exactly that, I baked two cakes actually. One for my son, and one in honor of my Grandfather. It felt right, and believe it or not, the candle I placed on top of it flickered quite a bit, maybe he was trying to blow it out for us. But it really felt like a loving gesture to honor him, as I was extremely close to him. After my mother died, I lived with my grandparents. Both have passed now, but their love will always live on in my heart.

~Bryar ❤
EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-06)
haha I'm losing a lot of people in my family Great Aunt who I barely knew died, Grandmother died, two dogs died, two birds died, my Mother almost died and my Father is pretty much dead from passing out the instant he knaws on food and hits the couch, and I'm dying from tough heat temperatures and small emotional breakdowns. *sighs* Being a preteen sucks so bad for me hahahaha!
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-06)
I'm going to submit a cleaner version of my fred tales on Monday - it'll be easier to keep up with that pesky boy. I have a friend that wants to try an evp with me now, but I have to wait until my family's next trip. Haha, it's going to get weird.

And thank you for your sympathies. She died about 8 years ago now. I'm over it, but I do miss her. I'm sorry for your losses as well.

Penny ❤
EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-06)
Hi Penny, sorry about your Grandmother, mine on my father's side past away in her sleep four years ago and as for my Grandfather, I had never met him cause he had passed long ago along with my Step Grandfather. My family is very complicated so I won't bore you with my mother's annoying side of the family, I'll just say they strongly dislike me for dumb reasons its cool your pets come back to you and your ghostie Fred is hilarious and with that I shall go see what I missed, Katherine.
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-06)
Bryar - Thank you for your kind words and compliments. I think it was my grandmother as well; she would always call, every day, around the time we got this phone-killing call, to talk to my mom, my sister, and I, just see how our day was. That was one of my personal reason for believing it was her, aside from the phone dying the way it did.

I think what I would do, in your case, is indeed bake a cake, but perhaps light an extra candle on it for your grandfather, maybe just in memory. He could have also been upset that no one's been honoring him? I'm not sure.

I am also so very sorry about your mother, and perhaps the fact that you haven't seen her is that she, somewhere along the line, found her peace, which she could not find on theis Earth.

Penny ❤
Bryar (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-06)
Penny, it seems that your call was a way of your grandma simply telling you she is alright. I am glad for you. It's very comforting to have a bit of reassurance after someone you loved so very much has passed on.

I saw my grandfather who died in 1999 (at age 78) last night in a dream... And feel a bit saddened by the dream as he was crying. I asked him what was wrong, and he said no one baked him a cake for his birthday... Now my son's birthday is this Saturday (he will be 17 yrs) and I wonder if my Grandpa was telling me that although I hadn't planned to bake a cake, that I should. Hmm... Just a curious dream I suppose. But Grandpa is the only one I have seen. I wish I could contact my mother who committed suicide back when I was 9 years old. That would bring me some comfort.

But that's neither here nor there, you write beautifully. Thanks for sharing this touching story with us.

~Bryar ❤
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-05)
Haha, I just get dead pets hanging around my place. My first beagle, who lived to 15, walks around my house sometimes, with Fred.

My mom's cats, at her house, chatter with nothing, and then play with the thin air as they would with another cat. It's funny to watch. My mom's previous cat died of accidental circumstances, and I do believe that this is who they're playing with.

Now my greay-grandma's house in Manitoba, THAT'S haunted. On monday I'll post my story there. The story I'm going to post on Monday is more a collection of a few ghost stories from my family, as well as my own. It's going to be good. 😉

And I guess it does, eh? I haven't seen my mom's dad since that day, and my visits from my grandma are few and far between, which makes me sad, but I know she's resting easier now. It's comforting.

Penny ❤
MAPO (19 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-05)
i understand waht your saying. And its fine. I never seen them hanging around. And that's a good thing I guess that means they are at peace
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-05)
Oh you poor thing. 😢 I've seen a few of my family members that have passed in dreams and such, usually my grandma, once my grandpa, and I think, just ONCE, my great-grandpa (My dad's mom's dad). I've been very lucky that way.

However, the ghostly guest in my basement is not related to me, this I know. He just doesn't FEEL related.
MAPO (19 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-05)
well then just be happy you got to say bye! I never diid with my grandma or great grandma.
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-05)
DeviousAngel - Thank you so very much. I think she did as well; like I said, my sister and I were her favourite grandchildren, and we were my grandfathers as well. My grandpa would become livid if any of his grandsons touched his stuff, but he let my sister and I play with the stuff to our hearts content. We were the only granddaughters in the family.

MAPO - Haha, yes, a blonde moment! I'm very blonde, okay? Rofl. And I had thought of that. I took the battery out of that phone, and put it into another, identical phone, and that phone still worked. I've spent YEARS trying to debunk this story, and I put it up because, oddly, I could not.

Penny ❤
MAPO (19 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-05)
haha great blond moment. Is the battrie good on the phone? If not it could jut be faulty?
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-05)
Thank you for sharing your story! I think your grandma did put a lot of effort into making this phone call to your family. I think she really loved you and it was her way of trying to say goodbye. I'm sorry for your loss, and it seems that you were very lucky to have such a wonderful woman in your life.
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-05)
And I know I had said it was only two years old in the story; When I talked to my mom about the story the other day, she corrected me. 😭 I feel so blonde...

Penny ❤
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-05)
I checked in with my mom about this the other day, and she still remembers the phone acting the way it did. We still find it creepy.

Let me clarify some things that I did not mention, I don't think:

- The phone had actually belonged to my grandmother. She had had it for a month in 2003 before she died, and when she passed, it came to my mom. Then died a week after we got it. In essence, it was brand new.
- Our house had no other electrical problems either nefore that day, or after.

Like I said, I've checked the phone, I've checked the wires, I've taken it apart and inspected it - there is NOTHING logically wrong with the phone - nothing fried, nothing melted, etc. I've checked it again and again, and still nothing. Maybe if you could give me some ideas as to what else to look for in the phone, that could give me a reason as to why it died so abruptly, I could go check it out on the phone (I'm a tech. It's what I do.)

Please let me know your thoughts.

Penny ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: