You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Ghost Of The Bride

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Of The Bride

 

During the last week of June, I was driving on a road known as the "old Paris Highway" that was used to travel from Hugo, Oklahoma to Paris, Texas. Also known as old 271, it travels through the small town of Grant, Oklahoma. Approximately one quarter of a mile south of Grant the road passes under an old railroad trestle that was built around 1900 and the road is so narrow that only one car can pass under at a time.

It was between 10:00 and 10:04 p.m., as I drove south on a long sweeping left curve just north of the trestle when I saw a woman walking south on my right along the edge of the roadway (there are no shoulders). I was only going 25-30 mph and I noticed that she was dressed in a chiffon white (tutu) looking knee length dress with white hose, short 20's flapper style hair, about 5'6"-5'7" walking like she was tom-boyish &/or not used to wearing dress shoes. A labored type of walk. She appeared solid just like a person would but I immediately knew what I was looking at. I remember thinking "oh god, please don't turn and look at me and have some ghoulish/skeletor face but I couldn't take my eyes off her. When the car was 30-40 feet away, she did turn and look at me over her left shoulder as if to say "be careful don't hit me". She had the face of a girl in her late teens-early twenties with very white skin, bright red lipstick and rouge or blush on her cheeks. I felt a feeling of dread as I passed her and right after I had gone under the tressle, I turned around and drove back north with my iPhone video camera running. There aren't any driveways, houses or roads for anyone to leave that particular section of roadway and I knew she would be gone as I drove back north and I was right.

One week later I ran into a friend that I knew had grown up around Grant; I intentionally avoided mentioning anything about what I had seen. I asked him if he knew anything strange or weird about the old railroad trestle. His eyes got big and he gave me the strangest look and said "You don't know how many nights I sat on that trestle drinking beer with my buddies and looking for the ghost of the bride" The expression on my face must have got his attention because he said "you saw her, didn't you?". I told him about what I had seen and he said that on the morning of her wedding, her fiancé had parked his car just south of the trestle and hanged himself up in the trestle's rafters. They looked for several hours before he was found.

I don't have any names, dates, etc. But I know what I saw. When I was a kid I always wanted to see a ghost. I finally did in February of 1990 and it scared me so bad I passed out but that ghost was transparent, with light coming from inside, like a Chinese lantern. The fact that she appeared solid made this one even stranger.

Any thoughts?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oklahoma

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lildixie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

blizzard43 (40 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-02)
how did the bride die? If I knew I could tell you but I don't so how
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-01)
Well I thought it was an interesting story. It is in my belief that roadways, and traintracks are full of haunts because there are miles they can traverse to haunt. I enjoyed your story and would love to read more! Thank you for sharing.
Oh! And, by the way, I find it impressive that you saw a solid ghost! They are few and far between, though I myself have seen one.
Good luck and keep us posted! ❤
lildixie (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-31)
Bingo moongrim, the present day 271 was built in either the late 50's early 60's. When I was a kid we didn't have numbers for the county roads, I believe that happened when they established "911" services 10-15 years ago. As for the "urban legend feel", that might make sense had I known about the legend before I saw her. I didn't. I'm 49 years old, was born in Hugo and with the exception of 4 years in college and 3 years in law school, I've lived here my entire life. I have never heard any ghost stories about grant, Oklahoma, much less a ghost bride story. I asked a guy whose son played baseball with my kid if there was anything strange or weird about the trestle. He didn't know nor could he have known about my experience when he told me the bride story. I

Certainly respect everyone's right to their own opinion but I don't understand why anyone, myself included would be motivated to manufacture a story, just for the hell of it.
I actually thought that I might gain some insight about what I saw. Instead, C c
Someone implied that a 100 year old trestle isn't where I said it was and it has to much of an urban legend feel.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-07-30)
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-07-30)
Pendragon I've gone to your map, and I still do not see any 'train stuffs' in the area described by lildixie- 1/4 mile south of Grant Oklahoma ol' 271 is supposed to narrow down to one lane under a railroad trestle.

I've yet to see such, in the area mentioned.
DFlobster (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-30)
Not sure it makes sense... If he hung himself- then why was she the young ghost? Did she then go and kill herself...? Something not quite right there and it does sound like an urban legend
Shadead (91 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-30)
Thats really cool one hell of a creepy story and tragic for the young bride.

Regards,
~Shadead.
greenpondmike (1 stories) (82 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-30)
Good story. Seems you were at the right place at the right time as far as seeing her.
lildixie (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-30)
Google "grant, Oklahoma" on the south end of the town the road makes a visible curve from south to east and then back south again. It looks like one half of a figure 8. The trestle in question crosses over the road between the curves.
narcissa (4 stories) (77 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-30)
Nice story, but sounds a bit like an Urban Legend. Like I have heard tons like this in our childhood tale times.
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-29)
Moongrim, you linked a map for Hugo, OK. I do believe the twon in question was Grant, OK. Good try though.

Http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Grant+oklahoma&sll=34.01066,-95.509682&sspn=0.067164,0.110035&gl=us&g=Hugo,+OK&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Grant,+Choctaw,+Oklahoma&ll=33.940708,-95.52181&spn=0.008402,0.013754&t=h&z=16

This would be the correct map that you are looking for, and I do indeed notice some train stuffs here.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
-1
14 years ago (2010-07-29)
EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-29)
uh that's so creepy, I used to loved being with my dad on late nights driving on country roads but then after a while I started to hate when outside it would get dark and would never step foot outside when it got to a point of darkness. I understand your fear if that ghost had turned and it was all ugly or covered in blood and disfigured, something like that. I'm afraid whenever I walk down dark hallways fearful of what might pop out. Good adrenaline filled story, Katherine.
lildixie (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-29)
kamui and cosmogal926
I did go out the next night and used a free iphone EMF meter app I downloaded (you get what you pay for), but I've never had any training with one. I've driven back through 8-10 times since then, hoping to catch another glimpse and although I haven't seen her, my 13 year old son commented last night that when you pass under the trestle, it feels like you're topping out on a roller coaster. Starts in your gut and moves up through your chest and head, plus you feel an overwhelming sense of dread. I'm sure that was our subconcsious working on us.
kamui (1 stories) (56 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-29)
nice story indeed and it would be greater if you could do some photographs and EVPs there, thanks and take care.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-29)
These stories about driving down dark roads in the middle of the night always give me the creeps. 😨 I hate driving on country roads, especially when I'm upstate and the roads twist and turn. I always think something is going to pop out in front of me. This is an interesting story, I would have felt the same way about seeing a scary face if she had turned around, but I would not have come back for a second look. My foot would have hit that gas and I would have left nothing but a cloud of smoke behind me. So, what happened to the bride after she found out her fiance killed himself? Thanks, and take care 😊 ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: