You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Creeper Spirit In My Basement

Real Ghost Stories

The Creeper Spirit In My Basement

 

Aright I've mentioned this little guy a fair few times. He's (I'm fairly certain it's male, anyway) a pain in my butt, and makes my Basement at my father's house less than bearable, almost to the point of my first story, about my house in Ogden. Other than one thing - I don't think he wants me out, I just think he's curious. I think it could be a child as well, but there are two stories intertwined here.

The first part, I guess, is my Guardian Spirit. I actually think I have two, but one is more the silent, red-flag type, and the other one is a chatty Kathy. The silent one is Dimitri, or something akin to that. He acts as an extension of my intuition, sometimes warning me about things before I've even come to a time when it's needed. I think he was the one that warned me about my grandpa's cancer (Dad's dad, not mom's dad... My dad's dad survived. I'll retell that premonition later, in another story.)

My other Guardian has only chosen to reveal himself as "Riku". I do not believe this is his real name, but who am I to judge. Riku is the protector, I think. There have been quite a few instances where I should have been badly hurt, or someone I love should have, and they haven't been hurt as badly as they should have been. Again, I'll recount these later.

On to the creeper in my basement. The reason I think that this little gem is a curious spirit is that I never truly feel threatened. When he's present, I can feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and I can all but feel, physically, Riku glaring at something away from me, like a not-so-human shield. When Riku flares up, this second (or third, depending how you look at it) ghostly presence leaves, usually for a couple days, only to return in some small way.

The usual way that I notice... Let's call him Fred. The usual way I notice Fred is small things will happen when I'm the only one in the house. Which is why I can't go to my family about this - they'll laugh and go, "Oh ha-ha, Jordan, very funny.", because it's never happened to them. Or not to my knowledge, anyway. Lights will be on when I know they were off; I'll hear footsteps upstairs if I'm down stairs, or visa- versa. Again, when no one else is in the home.

The most recent encounter I had with Fred was last Friday after I got home from work. I was home, by myself - my younger sister was taking my beagle, Nala, to the vet (she strained a muscle camping, and we wanted to make sure nothing was seriously wrong with her. Nothing is wrong, her muscles are healing perfectly.), so I was quite alone in my dad's 3-tier house (basement, main floor, upstairs). I was going out for the night, and went to my room, in the basement, to get my stuff ready for the evening.

My basement's layout is simple: Going down the stairs, directly in front of you is the bathroom. To your immediate left are two rooms. The one closest is the TV room, and the next one, closer to the bathroom, is my sister's room. To your right are two more rooms - the furnace room to your immediate right, and then my room, closest to the bathroom on the right. Usually in this Cross-Roads of sorts is when I can sense Fred the most, or in the TV room, which I've started to avoid if I'm alone. My hair is constantly on end in that room, which is odd, because there is nothing funny about the wiring, and it's only creepy when the lights are OFF. On, there is nothing at all, like I've scared Fred off. Off, however, I get the chills.

Anyway, on Friday, upon coming down the stairs I got that usual, "Oh hi!" feeling that I get whenever Fred's around. I groaned, heading straight for my room and closing the door. My room feels calm, comforting, and I place that in the two blessed crucifixes' that my super conservative French grandma (dad's mom) bought me, and had blessed. I'm agnostic, but those crosses help me feel at ease, that's why they're up.

I gathered my clothes to go shower, and as I get to the bathroom, the light to said bathroom was turned on. Keep in mind; I'm the only one in the house. I frowned, put my clothes in the bathroom, and went to get a towel from the furnace room. I was grabbing a towel when I heard the creaking of our garbage can sliding open behind me. I turned and looked at it, and it was about a foot open. There is NO way at all that this was due to gravity - my dad and I built our basement from the ground up, and my dad is VERY meticulous about having everything he makes be level. It's the way he is. So I know for a fact that that garbage cabinet with the sliding drawer is on level ground.

Needless to say, I high-tailed it to the bathroom and locked the door behind me. I was in near tears, and I could still feel Fred roaming about outside. In my basement, I forgot to mention, we also have a cupboard under the stairs, filled with our Christmas decorations (Including a Christmas train that is automated), a RC NASCAR car that my dad has, and gift wrapping supplies. No Harry Potter, sorry to disappoint. Anyway, the instant I locked the door, I started hearing that RC car as if it were right outside the bathroom door, followed by the sounds of the Christmas train.

I was too terrified to look outside. I showered quickly, (which only made me more terrified - I kept feeling cold spots on my feet, when the hot water was running on them) got dressed, and kept my towel over my head as I went to my bedroom. I did NOT want to see what was going on. I grabbed my purse and keys, and ran up the stairs, three at a time, not bothering to turn lights off - I just wanted out.

Let me be clear - I'm not afraid of Fred in the slightest. He is not menacing, like the orbs and mists from when I was 5. He just seems playful and curious. It's just that I'm a huge chicken, and can't be bothered to get rid of him. I find myself telling him, "Now you listen, you are NOT allowed in these places, okay?" or "Can you knock it off, I'm trying to read, Fred." I do talk to him, and his presence does lessen, and I haven't really felt him around since late Friday night, after I got back. Well, that's a lie; I felt his presence when I was leaving for work this morning.

To top it off, when I'm taking pictures anywhere in my dad's house, I have to fight with my camera to get its auto focus to work. Its fine the instant I walk a house down on our street, but it tries to auto focus on something in front of me when I'm at my house, when there's nothing there. Like Fred's saying, "Hey, no, you want to take pictures of ME. Not THAT. Please. I'm SO much cooler than that plant, yeah, that's it. Oh, you won't listen!? FINE! BLURRRR!"

I kid you not, that is his personality, or so it seems. I don't want to be rid of him; I want to know what type of spirit he is. And I will say this ONE final time, he's not evil, so don't even start on me with exorcisms, "OMG YOU HAVE A DEMON RUN AWAYYYYY" as I have seen on many accounts like mine, etc. I don't need advice - I'm looking into smudging rituals, and trying to consider if I do want to do this. I just want to know what on EARTH (or maybe not-so) has become so attached to me.

Thanks for your time, and I'm sorry that this is so long.

Jordan

Other hauntings by Pendragon

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Pendragon, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

ghostslaya (23 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-07)
i think he is a child and he means you know harm based on the reactions on the dog... If any info is needed contact me at ghostslaya93 [at] yahoo.com
Shadowsofthepast (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
I have to admit this is a very interesting story Fred sounds pretty interesting oh and by the way I also grew up and live in Alberta Canada

Joshua j.c 😊
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-11)
Well, if your dogs don't care, then he shouldn't be that bad of a ghost. I mean, Nala watches Fred all the time, ears perked, head tilted. Dogs are sometimes the best indicators of good and evil. If they don't want to go somewhere, there's a good reason for it.

Penny ❤
EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-10)
I told my friend about it and she said the same and she deals with a demonlike ghost cause he growls at her except she not scared. My dogs only stare at him and before my dog Barney passed he used to wag his tail at nothing and walk off. I miss him and believe he came back to tell me goodbye last night, I'll write about it soon.
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-10)
It's true that I don't really fear them, but they do still creep me the heck out!

Penny ❤
Rashidah (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-10)
This was a very good read. You seem to have a few good guardians watching over and guiding you.
It is very good that you have no fear for spirits.
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-10)
Emerald, I don't think he's evil, especially if he can come into a blessed house. It's kind of funny that he was waiting for you, expectantly. He must like you.

Penny ❤
EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-10)
Here's an update on what going on for me, I've returned home and already in panic mode to start. The instant I came home I saw the form of man or boy on the side of the house like"She finally came home, about time!" The feeling in my house felt different, more lighter then before and I kept seeing him walk around in my room. Being already jumpy I made my mom bless my room with holy water and a prayer of Our Father, yet he was still able to come into my room, he's gotta be good right? I'm worried tho my dogs just look at him and go back to sleep and I'm still scared but I'm managing to cope.
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-10)
Aaron, I went through a lot when I was little, like my parents messy divorce. I grew up faster than most, and started developing a knack for knowing when which emotions were present. I guess you'd say I kind of started out as a half-empath. That escalated to where I am today. I guess the trick is to open yourself up to what is around you first, and the talent for communicating with the spirit world will develop itself, if you're lucky. I was, and still am, that kind of lucky.

Af course you can chat with me! Feel free to send me an email - I do not mind in the slightest!

Penny ❤
Aaron_G_B (37 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-09)
btw I happened to cruise your profile and we seem to have a lot in common I don't know maybe we can chat, see you around
Aaron_G_B (37 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-09)
wow you seem really in touch with the spirit world and to know what you're talking about and to think you're the same age as I am weird anyway it sounds like you have a good thing going with fred here I must say I kind of envy you
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-04)
Hey now, even the angry ghosties need some love. Maybe that's why Jamie is so angry all the time - he could be jealous of Johnny! I wouldn't doubt it. I can see it happening.

And maybe Fred was doing those things to help me out. But I STILL don't appreciate the texts from no one. I really don't. Those creep me out.
EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-03)
Rolls on floor laughing scaring my grandma That Is Awesome! And I'm definitly starting to think he likes and cares for you or was trying to stop your whinning:P haha you have a fun loving ghost my Johnny boy actually has stopped bugging me but helps my headaches when I get writer's block he's awesome and sweet tho like your fred a pain at times. I hope Jamie won't be so scary when I come home or I'll be moving to Austraila:P or maybe Kyoto haha
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-03)
I'm glad, too. THe stupid thing made me so frightened. I think it was Fred who scared him off, actully. He's a protective little creeper sometimes. He gets mad at my younger sister, too, and hides her stuff.

Quick updates; Fred was poening my drier on me on Sunday. I was getting fed up - I had laundry that needed to dry! And this dryer is one of the fancy ones that locks itself shut once you turn it on! It has buttons set into the face of it that you have to turn off before the dryer will open, and even then, it vacuumes itself shut, so I have to throw all my weight against it when I need to open it. CURSES FRED! Even ghosts are stronger than me!

Also - I FINALLY SAW FRED! Well, kind of. Last night, putting my beagle outside one last time befor heading to bed, I happened to look over at the thermostat by out front door (I was at the back door), and I saw this palle white shadow adjust my electronic thermostat! I had been complaining about how hot the house was, and he turned it down for me; I had tried to fight with the stupid thing to get the AC to turn on, and it wouldn't for me. But Fred plays with the damn thing and it works... *grumbles* stupid house.

The shadow disappeared after it had fixed the thermostat, and my beagle came back in, and she just looked where he had been for about 5 minutes, head tilted and floppy ears perked, and she would NOT come upstairs and go to bed. I told Fred to stop bugging my dog, because I was tired, and then Nala, my beagle came over to me 30 seconds later, tail waggig happily.

I almost died right there, on my staircase, of shock. 😆
EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-03)
Thats terrifying but I'm glad it was just passing by haha your Fred must love causing trouble haha take care
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-03)
iSaeKaren - Haha, I know. He's an interesting ghostie, no? I've become almost fond of him, I think.

Drannac - I don't think that the second entity stuck around. I didn't feel him last night, and Fred was tucked safely back in my basement, making bumps in the night as per usual. He was being so rowdy that my dog wouldn't sleep, and she kept watching the locked bedroom door, lol. I didn't feel anything that wanted to kill me last night. I think it was just passing through.

Penny ❤
Drannac (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-03)
I like Fred. He sounds like the type of dude who you could hang out with and laugh the whole time;) (at him). Hope you get rid of your second entity:)
iSaeKaren (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-03)
Is it odd that I find Fred amusing? It makes me wish that I had a ghost like him in my house, but of course, he might become a pain in my butt as well!;D

He kind of reminds me of my little brother, though- but better!:P
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-02)
Just an update on Fred for everyone - Being back in the house for even a couple days have yielded some exciting (and terrifying) new things. Here's what's happened this weekend:

1) Friday, when I got home, my boyfriend and I were watching TV in the basement with my dog. I went to go into my room, and all of a sudden my right hand, and only my right hand, went ice cold, and the two bones that stick out a little on my wrist started to tingle, like an electric shock, almost. I'm pretty sure he grabbed my hand.

2) Friday also, I was showering, and my boyfriend was watching TV. I kept hearing running around upstairs, when I knew my boyfriend and my dog were in the basement with me.

3) Last night, he was up and down the stairs in my house, but I think that there's something else here, too. A Second entity. I could sense Fred, but I also felt a second, more malicious entity. It was so scary, I had to run from the top floor to the basement, while talking on the phone to someone, to grab pajamas for the night. I'm going to see if this second thing comes back before I take action - I've never felt it in the house before.

4) I got a text on my cell from no one. It was a Delta-symbol and an "at" symbol as the sender. Blank, no message. This has only ever happened to me twice, and it's the same thing both times. I can't find anything online about that sender, and my phone can't even make the delta triangle on it's own. I was so terrified that I barely slept. I hate texts from no one.

5) Further evidence that Fred can not be evil - When I got the text mentioned in 4, I was in my dad's room. Above his door is a large, blessed, crucifix. According to everything, evil can not pass a crucifix, much less a blessed one.

OKAY! Done my update! Now to go get some lunch...

Penny ❤
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-30)
I believe I stated how I feel about Fred quite clearly. He doesn't feel evil or mean, more like a curiosity, or that he is quite curious himself, hence why I guessed him to be the spirit of a child or a young person.
MAPO (19 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-30)
do you know what shadow people are? That what my grandma calls them and I do as well. You can allways "feel" if they are good or bad. Most people who don't believe just get spooked or calm depending on how the shadows are. How do you feel around him?
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-30)
The other story's not really about Fred, lol. I'll send in more stories when I get a bigger collection of them, and so far, I've only got a couple stories about him, as I haven't been home. I'll have a new story about Fred in for next weekend, if submissions are open, because I'll be back at the house with Fred in it, starting tonight. I'm sure there'll be something to update you guys with. 😉
MAPO (19 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-30)
he could be rtying to help lol I gotta read your other post too then huh?
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-30)
Haha, I'm only 19 right now, and to say I could be as old as his mom creeps me out a bit - I prefer the thought of "big sister". And I figure he did like the train, but it's only about... 7 or 8 years old, and we get a new train car every year. I don't think it could have had anything attached to it, as we bought the train new.

Also, he's not only attracted to the train; this story from last week, about him playing with the train, was the first time he'd touched it, and he's been around for at least a few years now. Maybe he wanted my attention, or maybe he was trying to scare me out of the house to protect me from something else? I'm not sure in the slightest. Thanks for you imput, though.
MAPO (19 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-30)
im not what you would call an "expert" but I do have a lot of experiences in this stuff because my grandma lived on her old tribes own buaril ground. But when most train tracks were first built/run there were probily a lot of kids who loved them. This could be one seeing as he was playing with your christmas train. He might just look to you as his mom (depending on how old the train tracks are, you probily wouldn't be to far in age from his mom anyways)
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-30)
Haha, will do. I'll drop you an email before I fully plan my trip, and warn you first. 😉
MyChaoticPeace (1 stories) (108 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-30)
Lolz well if something ever brings you to the area, look me up!
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-30)
HAH! I will, if I ever move down there. My family is mostly up here in Canada, and they'll probably end up mad if I move so far away. They're like that.
MyChaoticPeace (1 stories) (108 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-30)
I'll enjoy them:) If you ever move to the US New England area and he's attached to you, introduce us lol 😉
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-30)
Well, if he follows me, you guys can look forward to even more stories about him. 😉

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: