You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Night My Grandfather Died

Real Ghost Stories

The Night My Grandfather Died

 

This story is a description of what I experienced in 2000. I was 15 back then (I'm 25 at the moment). I was spending the Easter holidays with my family in my hometown in Poland. During that time my grandfather was in hospital, recovering after a surgery. We were told that it went ok and that he'd soon be released from the hospital. The whole family felt relieved when we heard the news. Even though we knew he would not be back for Easter celebrations, we were happy that he was ok. I'm writing about this to emphasize that I wasn't worried or stressed about his well-being.

During the most important night of Easter (when, as Christians believe, Christ rose from the dead), I dreamt about my grandfather. I was at the hospital, standing by his bed (I never got to visit him, because he was in a hospital in another city, quite far away). He sat up in his bed, smiled and said something. I heard nothing but silence, however I suddenly felt very calm and happy, as if he shared some good news with me. Then I woke up. The house was silent. When my mom heard I was up she tiptoed to my room and sat next to me. She did not look sad (yet). She said she just got off the phone, and before she could tell me who she talked to and what the conversation concerned - I suddenly said "I know, grandpa died this night". She stared at me for some time in silence then hugged me and we both started crying.

The thing that's strange the most is the fact that neither did I dream about his death, nor think that way about the dream after I woke up. I realized what I had said the second I finished the sentence.

I think grandpa came to me in my sleep to say goodbye and to make it easier for me to go on after his death.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Poland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Eva_the_empath, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

erin19 (1 stories) (41 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-25)
Sorry for your loss. Your grandfather (Dziadziu, grandpa in polish. I'm polish, lol) just wanted to tell you that he loves you!

- erin19 ❤
Eva_the_empath (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-14)
I would like to thank everyone for your sympathy.
I would also like to add that I never had a "special" bond with grandpa. We loved eachother unconditionally, but I've always thought my causin was his favourite grandchild, since they were inseparable. That's why I was surprised that he came to me exclusively (noone from my family "heard from" him after his death).
Anyway, I strongly believe that our loved ones watch after us in the afterlife. We should do what they want us to, that is: despite the pain and loss we should think about their happiness, the fact that they don't suffer from any pain or illness, are finally at peace and want us to find peace of our own.
mandalyn05 (5 stories) (35 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-13)
Reading this story about made me cry. I lost my grandma back in 1995, just before my 9th birthday. Then, I lost one of my friends in 2002. Within the past 6 months, I had a dream about each of them. In the dream about my friend, we were hugging each other and crying and she said she loved me. When I woke from that dream, I could feel her there in the room with me. I don't remember what happened in the dream about my grandma, but when I woke up all I felt was comfort. Thank you for your story.
kristy2010 (2 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-13)
I am sorry about your grandfather. Thanks for telling us this. There are times our family come to us to let us know they are ok. But I know it is never easy to lose someone we love and is special to us. I lost my dad in 2009 and I miss him very much. I wish I dreamed of him that would have been special to me
Watersprite (3 stories) (85 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-12)
I am very sorry to hear about your grandfather, but that was such a special experience. Thank you for sharing your story.

Best wishes
Watersprite
tatragirl (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-12)
/wave to Eva_the_empath- I am from Poland too!
Great story! Reminds me about something my dad once told me. When he was a boy, he lived in a multifamily 3 story building. He and his parents occupied 2nd floor, his grandparents 3rd. One night he dreamt he woke up to his grandpa shaking his arm. He opened his eyes (still dreaming) and his grandpa told him that he just wanted to say "good bye" because it is time for him to go. At that point he woke up to someone banging on the doors - it was grandma, who came to tell her kids that their dad just passed away.
blizzard43 (40 posts)
-2
14 years ago (2010-08-12)
surya how do I become a moderator oh by the way I sent you a emil
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-12)
Thank you for sharing your story with us. It is always comforting to know that our loved one who have passed are still with us in their own little ways.

Surya

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: