You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Hoe Man & Other Bits Of The Happenings In Our Home

Real Ghost Stories

The Hoe Man & Other Bits Of The Happenings In Our Home

 

Almost every night, my sister could hear the "chunk... Chunk" noise of someone hitting the ground using a hoe. The question is who would go gardening in the middle of the night, around 12 midnight or so? The noise went on almost every night, skipping a night or two once in a while, until one night, she saw a shadow. It was of a tall man, carrying a hoe walking (or floating) by the wall dividing our lawn and the next door neighbour's lawn. It was in the neighbour's lawn, at the other side of the fence. At that time, she was in the family living room, in front of the TV, sitting on a couch. She happened to look on through the kitchen window on her right-hand side which opened up to our neighbour's backyard brick wall. The wall was taller than an average woman, and even if a man walks along the wall from the other side, we are only supposed to see the top of his head. The shadow that my sister saw was very tall; she could see it from its waist.

But it was the only time she saw that hoe man. On the other nights, she would hear it, from time to time. It didn't just stay in our neighbour's lawn or backyard, but she could hear it in OUR BACKYARD TOO. One night, I was home, we were in our room (we share a room, the second biggest in the house) getting ready to sleep, but we didn't turn off the light. I was reading True Singapore Ghosts Stories by Russell Lee (you can say I'm a big fan of the paranormal) while singing out aloud to my favourite song. It was around 1 a.m. Or so, both of us were having difficulties sleeping (both of us are slightly insomniacs). Suddenly, she nudged me, instructing me to stop singing. I was quite confused why she told me to keep quiet. I shot her a look, as if I was saying, "Hey, what?" She put a finger across her lips, and shook her head, giving a sign that she couldn't or wouldn't dare to speak. So I gave her my cellphone to her so she could type the words instead of saying it. She typed, "Hoe man". At that instance, the hair on the nape stood on their ends. I didn't freak out though because I knew about the hoe man from her previous encounter (I wasn't at home when she saw that guy). Not daring to speak, I took my cellphone and typed, "When? Where?". She replied (through the typed message on my cellphone), "Just now, just outside our window, twice," Again, it made me shiver. To the readers, our room is located at the very far back from our neighbour's backyard brick wall. Our room is just next to the other neighbour's house, sharing the same wall (imagine a semi-detached house; our room is just sharing the wall with the other house that is joined to ours, while the haunted yard is at the other side of the house, in a separate building).

My sister wasn't the only person who heard the hoe man. My mom heard it too. It was around 3 in the morning when she woke up to do the laundry (she's not an easy sleeper, that's where me and my sister get our insomnia from). She was doing something in the kitchen, when suddenly out of nowhere; she heard the "chunk... Chunk" noise. She was like "Okay, maybe our neighbour is gardening," before the reality struck her. She realized that the time was around 3 a.m. And who would go gardening at this late hour. However, she didn't bother to look, and told herself to mind her own business, let anyone who might be hoeing at that time to hoe in peace. I would say that my mom and my sister are sensitive to these beings. There are lots of happenings that show that they can actually see, hear and sense these paranormal beings. There are other events involving them in my previous stories.

One night, my sister was home alone with my grandpa and our family cat, Fluff (me and my parents along with our maid went out that night). My sister was relaxing in the family living room (where the TV is). The TV was off, and my sister was just talking to the cat when all of sudden, she heard heavy breathing, almost like something was gasping for air. It sounded like it was in the same room with my sister. She stopped to listen, and tried to listen if it was actually my cat that was breathing heavily. Fluff the cat seemed to be breathing normally, but her attention was on a corner of the living room. My sister was quite terrified, but she tried to knock the feeling off. To her relief, our grandpa came to the living room and started talking to her. However, the heavy breathing didn't seem to go away even though my sister tried to pay attention to the conversation, and she heard it even throughout the conversation. Finally, she took Fluff the cat into our room and played songs on her PC as loud as she could stand to drown out the heavy breathing just in case it followed her into our room. Finally, when me and my parents and our maid got home, she seemed to be relieved, and I asked her why, and she told me the whole story. That event didn't occur only at that one time. Up until now, it has repeated for a few times, only to my sister. I am not at home for the time being, since I stay in the university campus during the semester. I only go back on semester breaks. I call home occasionally to check on what's going on at home (since our maid can't be trusted, she was caught stealing for a few times already, but my parents let her off the hook so this matter keeps me anxious) and a few nights ago through the phone, she told me that the breathing was heard just next to her while she was in our room a few nights ago (it wasn't the first time it was heard in our room too).

On top of all the events that take place in our house, I'm starting to feel that our guest living room is haunted. I have never really liked that room in the first place. To be honest, when you enter the room, you get an uneasy feeling like somebody is watching you settling in your tummy. That's why I really hate to be alone in that room, especially at night. The feeling of being watched, so far, has never felt sinister, not yet (I hope it will never get sinister). Once, I was studying (this happened a few years ago when I was in high school) alone in the living room, something creepy happened. I was at the long dining table (we don't really use that table for dining, only except when we have a big number of guests over for lunch or dinner), at the oval end of the table. I was resting my feet on another chair at the table. Please keep it in mind that this was a few years ago, my cat only came into the family last November 2009 to keep my cat from being blamed in this situation. Back to the story. I was so engrossed in my study when out of a sudden, one of the chairs moved. It wasn't any of the chairs that were near to me, and I have my feet on a chair, rested. I noticed it was the chair on the other oval end of the long dining table. And to make evidence clearer, the chair that moved was the one that was next to the wall. Nobody was there, and it's useless to say that it was moved by the wind, since it was that kind of heavy wooden chair. And it made a loud noise when it moved too. Well, as for me, I didn't waste much time. I picked my book, and tried to walk as calmly as I could out of that living room.

Recently, my sister had the very same experience too. That living room is rarely used except when there are guests in our home. It's always one of the coldest rooms in the house, except from the master bedroom. My sister and I prefer to keep the door to the guests living room closed (we have a soundproof door separating the family living room and the guests living room). Often I feel that there are eyes watching us, peeking from the cracks of that wooden door. My sister told me she has seen something moving in the darkness of that living room too. Well, I hope anything in there wouldn't be anything evil or harmful. I prefer if it keeps to itself and do nothing harmful to me and my family.

Other hauntings by -_Syeetaque_-

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, -_Syeetaque_-, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

-_Syeetaque_- (5 stories) (109 posts)
-1
14 years ago (2010-08-13)
yeah, it is the same principle of kosher (in Islam, we call it "halal")... Well, have you heard about the coke-pork experiment? The one when you pour coke onto a pork-meat, worms will start to come out of that pork? Well, I don't know if this experiment is proven to be valid or not, you can search of them on you tube, and there are soooooo many entries for the keyword search. This experiment is barely my point, lol.

Well, I'm sure you have heard of the disease, Japanese Encephalitis (JE). According to wikipedia, domesticated pigs and wild birds are the reservoir for the virus to develop, therefore, eating the meat of the infected pigs can cause fatality. Another kind of pandemic disease caused by pigs are swine flu (H1N1). I think I should give you the links to the site that I have read on the web, for you to read, if you are willing to, just to add to your knowledge.

Just to add up, whatever forbidden in our religion comes from God (in our religion, our God is Allah) , and God knows what the best for us. And whatever rules that God set for us must promise good things to us. Lol I don't want to get preachy...:) but it's just a thought of mine. However, I don't hate pigs, animals have always been a soft spot of mine, I can't stand seeing animal being tortured.

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H1n1#2009_A.28H1N1.29_pandemic

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AntigenicShift_HiRes.png

Http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/935861/reasons_why_you_shouldnt_eat_pork.html?cat=5
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-13)
Oh no! You haven't! I'm just so paranoid that, with being agnostic, I'm going to offend someone within certain religions. It's good to know that you as well wish to donate your organs. I love realizing how many people truly want to save lives.

I'm not going to lie - I didn't know the girl personally, but she was only a couple years older than me. It hit close to home, and I hated how, had I been born to another set of parents, that could have been me. I could have been killed, I suppose, by my religion. It was one of the reasons that I turned away from God, but not the idea of a higher power. I didn't like to think that a God would tell his followers, "No, you are not allowed to accept things that could save your life!"

Do you mind me asking why muslims can't eat pork? Is it like the jewish faith, where it isn't "kosher"? I've always wondered.

I love people that are so accepting. 😊

Penny❤
-_Syeetaque_- (5 stories) (109 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-13)
Penny, that didn't offend me even a bit... Such a relief, that it is not my religion that you loathe... I'm so sorry for being so straight forward... In my religion, it is very encouraged for us to do anything to save lives, especially innocent lives, therefore, we should do what we can do save lives, including organ donating, blood donating and such...

Even in desperate situations, to sustain life, we can do something that is forbidden in the religion... As an example, as you may already know, Muslims are forbidden to eat pork, but in certain life threatening situations, such as getting lost in the forest where there are no other source of food available, we can eat anything that can be found, even pork, but just to keep strength...

And Penny, please don't worry, I accept any personal views easily, and very much respect yours, therefore, please don't hold back in pointing your views... And to be frank, I'm really sad about what happened to your friend. In my religion, such things has never been forbidden, and will never be.

Even I would sign a paper so that if I die, I would have all my organs donated. It has been a dream of mine ever since I learned about organ donation when I was in high school.

Btw, I'm scared of needles too, but not to the extent that I get pale. I understand the fear of being punctured, though...

I apologize for voicing out my curiosity, and I really need to apologize to you for that. You don't have to apologize me, since you have done nothing wrong, nothing wrong at all. I think I've sounded too harsh and hard... I'm really sorry, if I have offended you in any way...
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-13)
Masyie - Oh no! It's not yours; it's actually the Jehovah's Witnesses, for this one simple story:

This girl in my province, Alberta, needed a blood transfusion, and it would have pretty well cured her of leiukemia. She was a devout JW, and refused, bluntly. She fought in the courts, because it went against her religion, and would condem her to hell if she took it. Her mother, a JW as well, was on her side.

Her dad, ALSO a JW, wanted to go against the teachings and get the transfusions. I commend him for that. The JW do not allow transplants, blood transfusions, plasma transfusions and the like. They do not believe in using the pieces of others, like myself, that we are so willing to give. I have signed everything saying that, should I die and I have usable organs, that I want to donate them. I want someone to use my organs if they need them - heck, I won't.

I'm sorry if that offends you too. I do not know that much about your religion, but those are my beliefs. I would be hurt if I was dead, and a dying person refused to use my heart, or a lung, or what have you. You would hear my spirit weeping. I can't give blood because I am a needle-phobe. I physically pale when I have to get vaccinations. But I will donate my organs.

But I digress. This is personal belief cluttering up your page. I appologize!

Penny ❤
-_Syeetaque_- (5 stories) (109 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-13)
Penny, that's okay... I don't get mad at all, I'm actually open about these things, it's just I won't do anything opposite from my religion:) I still respect other religions and other people's opinion and beliefs:)

I really appreciate other religions as well eventhough they are not what I embrace. You didn't know too... Even if you know, I still won't mind, really. And I don't feel offended at all, honest.

Actually, I've read your profile, and you have mentioned about that one religion you loathe, and I truly hope that religion is not my religion, and I hope that doesn't change things such as our conversation...

Hoping,
Masyie
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-13)
Ohhh, I didn't know that. I'm sorry! I hope I didn't offend! I think you were right in asking your dad to take her to a healer. Maybe you should drive in one day, if he can't, and take her yourself? I worry for her; this spirit sounds a lot like a parasite...
-_Syeetaque_- (5 stories) (109 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-13)
Penny, thanks for your suggestion. Right now, I'm trying to get my dad to take her to a religious healer, but he's currently busy with his work (I understand his situation, since he has his own business), he has promised me to take my mom to that religious healer. Sorry, can't do a praying circle since it's against my religion. But there are verses in the Holy Koran that can be used to fight off these things (we got that from on of that religious healer's talk on the TV). However, we lack of experience and are quite clueless about these things, and experience is one of the necessities to fight off these beings.
And yeah, it's hard to get rid of this thing by telling it to go away (we have asked, it wouldn't listen).
Off all the beings around us, this is the only one that was harmful, and I'm trying to get m dad to take action quickly. It's not his fault that he's busy, I would have done something if I were at home, but I'm about 500km away from home now...
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-13)
Aww, your poor mom. 😢 I hope someone figures it out, and that she gets better. Maybe tell the thing feeding off her energues that she does not want this "pet", and that avevryone in the house wants it gone. Hold a prayer circle with your family, perhaps? All hold hands and tell this thing to go to the light, that your family no longer needs its services.

It may or may not help, but it's my suggestion on that one... 😐

Penny❤
-_Syeetaque_- (5 stories) (109 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-13)
haha... Penny... Well, it seems that we have some more thing in common here, I also love to write stories. Its just that sometimes, it takes quite some time to think up the whole plot, and that could explode my brains. I used to have a story started, but then everything disappeared since my old desktop got infected with virus, so I had to abandon everything (I was already moving up to chapter 4, I think in that story...)

And I'm a game addict, I know how tired we can be staying up late, putting our brain into gear to advance through levels, lol.

Yeah, I agree, the black magic practiced by my ancestors are pretty common, but what I'm trying to talk here is about the side effects of those magic to the users and their descendants. I believe something (one of the "pets") is lurking within my family right now, disturbing those sick ones. Recently my mom has been sick and it is told by someone that this thing is feeding or my mom's energy. The same thing happened to my late aunt (the mother of the cousin I mentioned in my previous stories), she had breast cancer, and the same thing fed energy off her. Even my great aunt is sick, and once it came to my great aunt but her husband managed to keep it away from her.
However, right now, I'm worried about my mom's health, and someone left "something" else with her to add up to that old "pet". She's no longer as strong as she used to be a few months ago... 😐
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-13)
Masyie - He did, and my uncle was. He was completely shocked, and told my mom about it the instant we got back to the house.

I'm also always sarcastic. A trait I notice more in Riku, haha. I think I got my sense of humor from him/her.

And I don't always have this problem. I was up late last night playing video games. So my brain is half-working. Maybe. Maybe a bit more than half. I think. *yawn*

I've heard about that type of witchcraft before as well. It doesn't seem as dark as some of the sacrificial witchcraft, it just seems like an underhanded type thing. I'm not one that believes that witchcraft in the ancestors curses a family. Unless it's Voo-Doo type stuff. That there is some scary black magic. Many ancients used spirits for the same things. The Greeks used to use Spirits to predict the future, through the oracles of the different Gods, the egyptians would use their Magicians, etc. All the ancients used to do it. I wouldn't worry so much.

The name Pendragon comes from two things. The first is I LOVE the Arthurian legends. Y'know, Merlin and all that. The other was; a friend and I were writing a story a few years ago, and we had to sibling characters, and she had decided that they were direct descendents of King Arthur (it was an odd, complex story, involving all manor of folklore), and my 'sibling' in the pair, Sethora (I don't remember her last name), was the rightful heir to the throne of England, but she really didn;t care; her, her sister, their vampire guardian, and their werewolf buddy were demon exterminators. I have no idea where the files disappeared to. She's called me Pendragon, or Penny, ever since we worte that story.

How do I remember that was ages ago? It was the same day we went to see the third National Treasure movie in theaters. That's how I know.

Penny ❤ 😆
-_Syeetaque_- (5 stories) (109 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-13)
Penny: wow, Dmitri really influences you. I'm sure your uncle somehow became speechless when he heard you that particular time, lol. Gosh I wish I could swim... Being someone who used to study just to get good results during childhood gave me almost no opportunity to learn these things.

Hehe, I love sarcasm as well, it's just I don't use sarcasm in my writings here, lol. You should see how I sent my sister's disrespectful crush on a sulking marathon (and I regretted that - such a big mouth I have here), he was a guy to start with. 😆

And yeah, don't worry about your spellings, I face the same problem all the time. Just now I spelled "have" as "ahve" and more of such mistakes. Mistakes are what make us human.

And, about the dark magic I mentioned, I meant witchcraft (malay witchcraft), using spirits to do jobs for you such as putting a curse, to look prettier, to take care of the home and such such. Our ancestors keep these beings as pets (I might post information about malay ghosts, imps and dark creatures first, I think, to make you understand better).

Oh yeah, one more thing, how did you come up with the name "pendragon"? Ummm, is it from that adventure books by DJ McHale? Just asking since I'm curious. Speaking of name, Alice also reminds me of twilight, lol. 😜
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-13)
Masyie - You're very welcome. Please forgive any spelling mistakes I make today, by the way - I keep spelling "very" as "evry", soooooo... Yeah. My fingers feel clumsy today.

Ooo, dark stuff. Well, I used to practice palmistry, reading tea leaves, and I still practice Tarot. Some people call those dark, too, but they date back to the Ancient Greeks. I know you mean darker than my minor things, lol, but I can relate, sort of.

I've been told that I write in the same manor that I speak about things. I gues the humor in it is my own, built-in sarcasm! Yay!

I've always loved the name Dimitri, and without a reason as to why. I have a feeling he's been hanging around much longer than Riku, but then again, I've loved water since I was about three. Maybe this means that Dimitri has been around since I was born. I had an adverse vocabulary when I was little, and no one could understand why; I was using words like "refreshing" and "fantastic" When I was just about four. I think the exact sentence was when my sisterm who had just started to walk, was trying to go through a field sprinkler, and my uncle wouldn't let her, and said she couldn't. She would have been about... 8 months? Anyway, He said "No, you can't do that." And I just looked up at him and said, "No, ut that would certainly be fantastic and refreshing!"... At age 3. I blame Dimitri, and I started swimming lessons that September. He's been around me for a VERY long time.

Dimitri is PROBABLY what I name my son, if I have one. I like Alice for a girl, but mostly because I was/am a huge Through the Looking Glass fan. 😉

Penny ❤
-_Syeetaque_- (5 stories) (109 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-13)
Penny: gee, thanks for your compliments (^_^) v

Haha, I will talk to her into posting her stories here, she has lots of experiences... My mom, aunt and uncle (my mom's side of family, the ancestors practiced dark magic, but not the recent generations, this is somewhat related to their sensitivity to these beings) have many experiences too, and I'll be posting those soon, maybe next week, I'll start writing the story, lol.

Your style of writing too, I admire it. It's humorous in its own way, and somehow I really like it.

And oh yeah about Dmitri, I know the his character isn't like a vampire, I just relate his name to the character, because we don't always find the name Dmitri in everyday life (except for yours XD)
I like the name Dmitri, bc it's unique, sounds appealing to me. And I know Dmitri has been around before the novel was published:)

Masyie
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-13)
Masyie - Please do post your sisters accounts if she won't! I would love to read them, especially the ones about the school.

Post more stories! I'm sure I can't be the only one that would love to read them. You write in such a believable way, and you make me feel like I'm right there, watching this happen. Few authors have this talent, and it would appear that you're one of them, for me at least.

Thank you for the compliments! Fred's annoying, but helpful. It's a give-some-take-some relationship, I think. He's definitely... Special. He likes to pull pranks on my boyfriend, who doesn't apprecate it so much. Riku and Dimitri are wonderful, and quite well. The fact that he reminds of you a vampire is kind of funny - he's not really like that, but I can see how you would make the connection. I assure you, he was around before I read those books.

Keep us posted on other goings-on in your house.

Penny ❤
-_Syeetaque_- (5 stories) (109 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-13)
lol nice...
I don't mind to share our home really, and I believe that every home has one, at least. Its just depends on how active those little beings in each home to make it detectable. I'm trying to get my sister to post her other experiences (the ones she had at school, I've posted the ones she told me that happened at home), her school had lots of massive cases of hysteria early of this year, but she said that that have to wait. She has a big examination at the end of this year, and I'm actually the one that's more into writing stories. She's more of an illustrator. Maybe I'll post those stories for her.

And oh yeah, there are several happenings at our home that happened to me that I passed as doubtful since I could maybe find some scientific and logical explanation for the doubtful events.

By the way, I really like your story about Fred (yeah, I would find him really annoying too if I were in your shoes, haha), your guardian angels, Dmitri and Riku (Dmitri reminds me of a vampire in the midnight sun - twilight series novel) and I really find them fascinating... Anyway, I really like your stories.

Masyie
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-13)
Masyie - I've read your other story, lol. And my policy is about the same as yours when it comes to my intelligent haunting:

If Fred does anything to hurt someone, I'mma get someone to hurt him. Like my dad's super-scary Bishop or something. We'll get a man of the cloth into the house, and he can knock some sense into my dear ghostie. 😉

Good to know that no one's been hurt, and that you're willing to share the space with them!

Penny ❤
-_Syeetaque_- (5 stories) (109 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-13)
thanks, Penny for your comment. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the hoe man is residual. But I doubt the breathing and the beings in the living room are residual. Whatever they are, they have never harmed any of us, I hope they never will. So far, they haven't messed up, so we prefer to keep things in peace. I believe in you-don't-harm-us-we-don't-harm-you-policy. So, so far, we are just letting those beings free unless it's started to look dangerous. Any further information about our house, you can refer to my other story, titled: she whispered into my ear. Thanks anyway, Penny:)

Masyie
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-13)
This almost starts out sounding residual, but towards the end, I'm not so sure. You could try some EVP work, the next time you get a chance, or get an Investigative Team to your house to check it out.

You'll have to keep us posted!

Penny ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: